Menu

What program did you use to give your child a firm phonics foundation?

Time for Chocolate

I keep switching to the grass is greener curriculum...

I have Sing, Spell, Read, & Write but if I do level one as written it would take an hour and a half. I then bought ABeka which breaks down the phonograms nicely and has great follow up worksheets, but also seems to take longer than I think it should each day if I follow the program as written. Explode the Code seems thorough, but is it enough?

My goal is to make sure they have a firm foundation in phonics. Those of you that have done that with your children - what curriculum did you use and how did you use it? (Exactly as written or some of this one and some of that one...)

I appreciate any help you can offer.:001_smile:

Thank you,

Judy

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Explode The Code! They have workbooks and an online version. We used the online version in conjunction with Ordinary Parent's Guide for my first child. We used My Father's World 1st grade and switched to Sonlight mid year (along with ETC books) for my second child and started my 3rd one from the start using Sonlight's LA program with ETC. They are all coming along very nicely in their reading.

Sonlight's language art guide REALLY works perfectly with ETC and I will use ETC and SL with all future kids. SL introduces their letters and spelling words and reading books based on ETC schedule. They even schedule the pages for you to do in the ETC books...for kindergarten, you do the "Get ready, set, go" books. In 1st grade, they schedule books 1-3. In 2nd grade, they schedule books 4-6. I wish I had found Sonlight sooner!

What is even BETTER is that Sonlight has made their own beginning reader books that coincide with where the child is on the schedule with ETC and then schedules that reading for you,too. It's terrific! There are other books scheduled in grade 1 and 2 once you get beyond the beginning reading books (like dr. seuss, etc.). The spelling words are also taking from explode the code books and/or their reading books. What a great program!

Alpha Phonics. I love this program because it is soo simple to use and it is really complete. Once my ds was done with the book, he didn't need any 'phonics' prgm. He was a reader and we celebrated by getting his own library card. He quickly began reading chapter books. I used it again for my next ds with similar results. I already starting using it a 3rd time with my dd (age 5).

Sometimes I use a write board but usually we just sit and cuddle on the couch. We read about a page or so a day... about 10-20 min depending on both our patience. I also do some Bob Books for fun and Explode the Code for fun and reinforcement if needed (my boys didn't need much of this but my dd seems to want it more).

hth

I've found this to be a fabulous combination:

• Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading
  • All-About-Spelling
  • Explode the Code

They all compliment each other so nicely! OPG was our main that we used to learn to read. At the same time we started that, we started AAS to learn the spelling rules. ETC gives written practice in both.

I use Spell to Write and Read phonograms but I teach it my own way.

For each phonogram I have developed:

a key word for each sound

a picture (this is of an object whose name make the sound that I can draw in the shape of the sound)

a physical movement

In K, we just do a letter a week doing the pictures and sounds and movements. In 1st grade, each phonogram is linked to a fairy tale and in 2nd a fable from Aesop's.

I've taught both my children to read this way. Around 3rd or 4th we start doing spelling and once they have the confidence to trust themselves they do very well with spelling.:001_smile:

I used 100EL to get them reading, and then I followed up immediately with Spell to Write and Read for phonics. I used it pretty much as written, though I developed my own weekly routine for the order in which we did things. I don't remember now exactly what that was, though :).

SBP

Phonics Pathways for the most part, and some ETC for ds and some for my dd, but she was already reading & we did it for more spelling practice.

I am surprised to be the first to post Phonics Pathways, which is a great program for teaching dc to read from left to right & for phonics. It was visually overwhelming for the dd I used it with who is very vs, but once I covered half a page at a time it was great for her. Most things were visually overwhelming for her if she had to read, and she had to study all the pictures in everything else before she could concentrate on the words.

Edited by Karin

We are using A Beka and I think it's great. The kids know their letter and sounds very well, it helps their reading, and spelling. I have been very pleased and would highly recommend it.

:iagree:

My son is doing excellent with A Beka Letters & Sounds 1. We go through the flashcards they list in the IG and then while I'm writing the words (per IG) on the board, he does the worksheet. We work behind a few lessons in the workbook so it is very easy and just review and he can do it himself. It's been working out well and doesn't take too long. :) I went through it myself and think it's an excellent program.

We use The Writing Road to Reading for phonics, spelling (which also teaches beginning reading skills), and handwriting.

I've tried to use it for grammar and writing, but are less successful in those areas because of the teacher time intensity involved.

The phonograms and spelling rules are fantastic for phonics lessons, though.

OK, don't laugh.....

Hooked on Phonics...yeah, the one on tv, the old version.:lol:

But it actually worked really well for both dd and ds! I can't speak for their current version available, but the old version ( the 5 color coded box set) was WONDERFULL!

:iagree:

I was given an old set and used it to teach both my kids to read -- we loved it! (I used Phonics Pathways along with HOP with my older child, and he hated it so much that I skipped it with my daughter. I supplemented HOP with Explode the Code for her.)

I'm so glad so many of you have found a program or combo. of programs that work for your children.

I would like for the phonics program we use to be thorough yet simple to teach. ABeka def. looks thorough yet refers to so many diff. posters and flashcards and books that it was difficult and time consuming to implement.

I look forward to checking out the examples y'all have given me. Thanks for taking the time to respond.:001_smile:

Judy

OK, don't laugh.....

But it actually worked really well for both dd and ds! I can't speak for their current version available, but the old version ( the 5 color coded box set) was WONDERFULL!

I used this for 2 of my kids and three of my nieces/nephews and its great. I just recently started second guessing if my kids really learned phonics and compared it to Phonics Pathways and there is no difference in the "blends/rules"

I think after all this I really think you just need to stick with one and follow it through.

I've found this to be a fabulous combination:

• Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading

• All-About-Spelling

• Explode the Code

They all compliment each other so nicely! OPG was our main that we used to learn to read. At the same time we started that, we started AAS to learn the spelling rules. ETC gives written practice in both.

:iagree:...at least I think I do as we are not starting AAS until next week (just got it!). We also have a Phonemic Awareness curriculum that we will do this year beginning Monday. It takes 10 minutes a day (about) and is done completely orally...looks like fun! My oldest began reading using the OPGTR/ETC combo just before he turned 5 and he is a very good reader (have no idea how to check his 'level'!). My second son began reading just before turning 4 using the combo. He wanted to have 'reading lessons' like his brother and quickly caught on after I tried doing the same lesson with him everyday as I didn't think he was ready:tongue_smilie:. I won't be using AAS with my second until next year or the year after as he is not ready for much more school 'work' at this point :001_smile:.

I haven't read all the thread responses yet...and maybe I shouldn't to prevent falling for any more phonics curricula!!

We loved Phonics Museum. Once she was reading very well and we finished Phonics Museum we started Phonics Road to focus more on spelling and phonograms.

Heather

Not a hijack, just a quick Q:

Heather, did you start Phonics Museum in K and complete both years? When did you finish and start PR?

Thanks

Phonics Pathways with oldest dd.

Phonics Pathways, ETC, & I Can Read It (Sonlight) with #2 (needed a lot of reinforcement) (ds)

Phonics Pathways, ETC - still working on with #3 (ds)

The Reading Lesson (loved this for #4 - started earlier this year when she was 4) - still using it, and have just started Sing, Spell, Read & Write - (why you might ask - curiosity, it was free, and this way her brother might not notice if she learns to read sooner than him - also figure it will reinforce phonics for him)

I checked out Phonics Pathways from the library after buying 100 ez lessons I did not like the format so it sits collecting dust, I borrowed ordinary guide from the library I thought it was good a bit scripted. So I just ordered Phonics Pathways and am really looking forward to it!

In the mean time we are using Bob Books and some readers. I have some ETC books that we are going to start as well.

along with Cursive First. promoted to Evan Moor daily cursive practice ( dd chose traditional , ds choose modern cursive) will be done with cursive after this year..

now use AAS (starting at beginning) but have added back only the spelling lists of SWR.

I left SWR because political bent of dictation just got on my nerves but mostly I disagree with a few of her phonograms:

example: I think the letters i and y can have an /E/ sound as in baby, or candy , and SWR thinks it's /bAb.i/ ( short vowel sound.)

So I guess I'm now using a combo of AAS and SWR .

I DO think Sensari is a pretty smart cookie. It's an effective program.

my two dc tested just fine.. just fine. on SATs last spring. So I do think SWR works. they're smart young'uns, but it's the program that was being tested and it did fine for them.

I'm glad to hear others using combos.

~Christine in al

We started with PP, I looked through Writing Road to Spelling and Reading (I don't like how it's broken down) and am waiting for PR1 to get here :)

I like PP though, and will prob use in combo w/ PR1 if possible as a review?

Did you read the first pages of PP? There are no lessons laid out-basically you start w/ the vowels, tell them the name and review the sound-the short vowel sound. Then it goes into a 2 letter blend, so you would go saaaa, seeeeee, siiiii, soooo, suuuu etc. There are some blending games too you can copy from the book. Then it progresses to 3 letter cvc, still blending. You just take one page at a time. After each lesson (short vowels, blending etc), it has a review page to check your child's progress. Like if they are not blending smoothly, to work on that instead of moving forward.

If your child is writing, you can start spelling the words. Somewhere around the -y suffix it has to start writing the words or short stories as you progress from there. And in the back, there is a spelling rule list and phonogram chart of the sounds. You could make up your own cards if you wanted. We just reviewed the sounds though and wrote the words as we went. Ds likes it because of the larger print and the silly stories. He finds Gus being a pig is silly :) Did that help at all?

Most programs, used consistently and to the end, will give a firm foundation. You just need to pick one and stick with it. :D And it will take time. There is a reason schools struggle to teach kiddos to read. It takes a lot of one-on-one time to do it for most children (except those few who catch on quickly on their own.)

Explode the Code is a phonics supplement. It is not an entire phonics curriculum. You would need to use it with something like OPGTR.

A Beka is a classroom program. It has a lot of parts and pieces. Some parents love the school-y feel of it, but it is more complicated to teach. Programs written for homeschoolers tend to be simpler.

OK, don't laugh.....

:iagree: This is what I used as well. My set is about 10 years old. I plan on using it for my 3 year old. Simple to use and very effective:)

Ds likes it because of the larger print and the silly stories. He finds Gus being a pig is silly :) Did that help at all?

My dd laughs about Gus the pig, also. She also loves dewey the bookworm. We cut him out as a bookmark as suggested and it's been a big hit. We are also planning on using PR next year.

We used A Beka last year for first grade and dd learned to read quickly, and is a strong speller because of it. However, I stopped using it for 2nd grade and started using SL LA and she has gone backwards. I am now buying A Beka again:glare: and will continue to use it through 3rd grade(what A Beka recommends). It does take a good chunk of time to teach, but I have found it works well, and even though it drives me up the wall, it is what works best for her.

This is a really dumb question. I have Phonics Pathways but I don't know how to use it. It doesn't tell you how to teach it - what am I missing? I don't get it?!!:confused:

As I recall from our edition, which is long gone so I hope I'm right on this, there was a section with tips for teachers.

It's quite simple, though. You start at the beginning an teach them to read left to right. Those first vowels are short vowel sounds because it then moves into CVC words.