Menu

Transitions lenses...love 'em or hate 'em?

I need some opinions on transition lenses for glasses...pros, cons, words of warning, why you love them, why you'd never get them again, etc. I am trying to decide if I want to add it as a "feature" to my new pair of glasses I'm ordering soon.

I have one friend that likes them because she can't stand changing between regular glasses and sunglasses. I have another friend that can't stand them. Sigh... Please help! Smiles!!

Thanks!

~Holly

Around here we have tunnels. I've never wanted to have to wait to be able to see when driving through one of those. Also, my DH had these some years back, and after a while they stopped changing as far, so he always looked like he was wearing slightly tinted glasses indoors, but didn't have quite dark enough lenses outside.

I have them and it's a toss up. I struggle with them a bit because it takes awhile for them to transition back to clear and I am a little impatient some times. I haven't needed a new prescription in years (my lenses are 4 years old) and I am noticing they are beginning to look glazed. They are also more difficult to see through. I haven't asked anyone to see if their transitions have done the same thing as they age.

I don't like to carry a purse or anything like that so I never have my regular sunglasses with me when I need them. They are great for playing tennis. I don't have to worry about playing in the evening because they go from tinted to clear as the sun sets.

DS ordered a new pair of lenses today and requested the transition lenses. He must like his.

Keep in mind that they won't work in the car because of the polarization on the windshield. Since that's the main time when I need sunglasses, they just didn't make any sense to me at all.

I love the *idea* of never having to switch out my glasses for prescription sunglasses, but I don't think the reality is nearly as great.

I love my transitions. I've had them for several years. I think this is my 3 pair. I wear glasses for distance vision. I'm outside a lot so I need sunglasses. My first pair did not change well in the car, so I kept a clip in the car to wear over the glasses. However, my current lenses change in the car when the sun is bright out.

When I get my next pair, I'm sure I will have transitions again.

Hate hate hate!! Hate is not a strong enough word for how I feel about them.

Did I mention I don't like them? :001_smile:

Every picture of me looks like I am wearing dark brown lenses. Just awful.

I paid a small fortune for them (plus bifocals) and as soon as I can afford it I am going to have new lenses put in.

I need some opinions on transition lenses for glasses...pros, cons, words of warning, why you love them, why you'd never get them again, etc. I am trying to decide if I want to add it as a "feature" to my new pair of glasses I'm ordering soon.

I have one friend that likes them because she can't stand changing between regular glasses and sunglasses. I have another friend that can't stand them. Sigh... Please help! Smiles!!

Thanks!

~Holly

Mine never darkened when I was driving/in the car; I assume there was too much UV protection built into the windshield or something. And I never liked how even inside, there was always a little bit of color to the lenses, so in pictures, for example, my eyes always looked sallow.

The other thing I have to say about sunglasses, and maybe this is just me, and it took me YEARS to figure this out: sunglasses need to be BIG. Having tinted lenses the same size as my regular glasses just doesn't cut it. I tend to get smaller, rectangular or oval lenses for my regular vision pair, and clip-ons, transitions, they just don't provide enough sun blockage. The sunlight "gets in" around the edges of the frames. I finally splurged and got a separate pair of prescription sunglasses with nice huge, slightly wrap-around lenses. And I often wear a hat to boot. It is a pain to switch glasses, but I was SICK of squinting. And I have a family history of cataracts on both sides, and I don't even know if cataracts are genetic, but I heard that too much sun was a risk factor, so a-switching I go.

The only other thing I think that would work [for me] would be contacts and a pair of cheap HUGE regular sunglasses over them.

Good luck!

The other thing I have to say about sunglasses, and maybe this is just me, and it took me YEARS to figure this out: sunglasses need to be BIG. Having tinted lenses the same size as my regular glasses just doesn't cut it. I tend to get smaller, rectangular or oval lenses for my regular vision pair, and clip-ons, transitions, they just don't provide enough sun blockage.

This is a good point. I didn't realize how much sun I *wasn't* blocking by having tinted lenses that were the same size as my regular glasses. Now that I have slightly larger sunglasses than my usual frames, I really am much, much happier.

My old glasses were transitions and I really did like them. The only issue I had was that I was outside alot with my boys playing baseball, so when it was time for a new prescription, I went for prescription sunglasses instead. I really needed something that "wrapped" more than my regular glasses did.

My 9 yo dd has transitions and really likes them. The only thing she doesn't like is that they don't get dark enough for her in the car.

Could not stand mine. They did not get dark enough for the backyard, pool, beach, etc. Driving was also a problem due to the windshield not letting the lenses change. They were okay in shady areas like tree covered walking paths but that was about it. I really regretted getting them.

I love them. My current pair isn't, b/c I chose a more expensive frame that came with matching magnetic clip-on sunglasses instead of getting Transitions lenses, and I won't do that again. I love the convenience of not having to fiddle with multiple pairs of glasses or clip-on sunglasses. The only problem is getting one's picture taken outside - they change whether you want them to or not ;).

I like some aspects. When running outside for mail or to check on kids it's perfect. I am not squinting and it does darken quickly. It does not lighten up as fast inside though. I don't notice visually but when you run into a store and it looks like you have sunglasses on people stare at you sometimes :tongue_smilie:

They aren't dark enough for longterm outside fun. I need a much darker lens if I am going to sit outside. Even with my other glasses I squint. so the transitions are good for short term outside but not a really sunny day you plan to spend all day in.

Funny thing....I just ordered new glasses and forgot to get the transitions! I am learning to squint again going from outside to inside. I am going to get new sunglasses next and not worry about the transitions.

I like them. They just aren't perfect.

I had some years and years ago, and loathed them with a passion. The problem was that they took a long time to change back when I went out of the sun, so I looked like I was wearing sunglasses inside. (No, I am not hiding a black eye.) I mention that it was long ago, as maybe this problem has been rectified by now.

I also hated the glasses-sunglasses switch-over, although it was better than the transition lenses.

After nearly 25 years of wearing glasses I went the Lasik route. That did not exactly go smoothly (and trust me, the despair at having made a mistake is somewhat greater than simply making a mistake in lens selection!). Two years later, though, I think that it was worth it. I still get a kick out of being able to simply push my sunglasses up on top of my head!

Nikki

I just got a pair a couple of months ago, and I like them. They aren't a replacement for sunglasses though.

I like them because the sun here is harsh on my eyes, and the transitions have cut down a lot on everyday glare. They change very quickly too. I still have prescription sunglasses for driving or when I'm outside for a long time.

Mostly love them. Like your friend, I hate to change between glasses. The only drawback is that it takes a little time for them to return to normal (from outside to inside). Sometimes, if the room is rather dark anyways, it is a little frustrating waiting for them to return to clear. I'll take this problem any day just so that I don't have to carry 2 pairs of glasses around.

I actually get a little tint when driving the Passat. I think it's because the side windows are not polarized and the car is small. I don't get the tint when driving the Suburban because all the windows are very tinted. And I wouldn't need sunglasses anyways in the Suburban because of the tint.

Another thing is that when going outside to get into the car, the glasses will tint and it takes a while for the tint to go away once in the car so one can get a little advantage - depending on how long of a trip one is taking. I'm usually on short jaunts - in and out of the car - which keeps the lenses tinted.

Hate hate hate!! Hate is not a strong enough word for how I feel about them.

Did I mention I don't like them? :001_smile:

Every picture of me looks like I am wearing dark brown lenses. Just awful.

I paid a small fortune for them (plus bifocals) and as soon as I can afford it I am going to have new lenses put in.

:iagree:

In any sunny or bright room, my eyeglasses start making the transition to sunglasses.:coolgleamA: And my house is sunny, so it always looks like I'm wearing sunglasses indoors. I'm afraid I look like one of those people who wear sunglasses indoors because they want to hide their dilated eyes from using illicit substances.

I love mine, but my eyes are super sensitive. I mostly wear contacts and giant oversized sunglasses. Even when it's raining. I have terrible allergies though and can't wear my contacts in the spring. As for them not changing in the car, I hold mine up to the window before I start driving and they change. They usually stay tinted the whole drive. If that isn't enough, I put my giant sunglasses over them, but I hate how dorky that looks, so I take them off when I get out of the car and rely on my transitions.

They have come along way in recent years. I just got a new pair and they were even better than the ones I got three years ago. Before that I refused them.

Thanks!

~Holly

Hated them. They never really go clear, so you always look a little browny-yellowy around the eyes. It is a very unattractive look, IMO. I think it made me look so old and tired all the time. I kept them the 30 days, then returned them (as per the optical place's guarantee) for regular lenses.

I have four pair of glasses, each for a different purpose. A pair of transition glasses in the car for distance, a pair distance glasses in the living room for watching TV, a pair of distance glasses in my purse for when I am inside somewhere and need to see something that I am not holding in my hand(mostly at the movies), and finally a pair of prescription reading glasses in the office. I have just reached the point where I can no longer read without my reading glasses so I am going to have to start carrying them with me in my purse as well because I don't want bi-focals. I am going to need a bigger purse now though because my current one barely holds my wallet, checkbook and distance glasses. I can already see that there are going to be times when I am going to have to switch out prescriptions (and therefore have both pair on my person at the same time) and I am trying to figure out how the heck I am going to manage that. Also in spite of the fact that I have so many glasses, I still find some situations where neither prescription works and I just plain can't see something.

Mostly love them. Like your friend, I hate to change between glasses. The only drawback is that it takes a little time for them to return to normal (from outside to inside). Sometimes, if the room is rather dark anyways, it is a little frustrating waiting for them to return to clear. I'll take this problem any day just so that I don't have to carry 2 pairs of glasses around.

I have got my first pair of transtitions this year and I love them. I got them in May, they took some getting used to and I have had to get a whole new lens as one had a flaw in the coating so didn't wear them for 2 months, but other than that they're great. I got the back on monday and am really glad I did.

I haven't noticed the delay with the transition from dark to light they go very fast. I don't think they ever get super dark though, it is a traditional British summer so months of rain and gloom with the odd sunny week here and there. I can totally understand they wouldn't suitable for really sunny climates though, they don't wrap around enough.

Guest JonnyFive
The other thing I have to say about sunglasses, and maybe this is just me, and it took me YEARS to figure this out: sunglasses need to be BIG. Having tinted lenses the same size as my regular glasses just doesn't cut it. I tend to get smaller, rectangular or oval lenses for my regular vision pair, and clip-ons, transitions, they just don't provide enough sun blockage. The sunlight "gets in" around the edges of the frames. I finally splurged and got a separate pair of prescription sunglasses with nice huge, slightly wrap-around lenses. And I often wear a hat to boot. It is a pain to switch glasses, but I was SICK of squinting. And I have a family history of cataracts on both sides, and I don't even know if cataracts are genetic, but I heard that too much sun was a risk factor, so a-switching I go.

This is such a great point! I have found the same thing true for me. After searching around on some information on the different types of eyeglasses and sunglasses (the most helpful site being this one on eyeglasses)I am of the opinion that spending the money on a good pair of comfortable sunglasses that work best for what I need (I prefer wrap around polarized sunglasses mostly, especially for driving) and having my regular glasses as well has been worth it. Switching out really isn't that big of a hassle to make sure I am able to see comfortably.

• 3 years later...
Guest sebarciszewski

Some pros and cons of transition lenses:

PROS:

- Since the lenses automatically adapt to light conditions, they reduce eye strain and fatigue indoors and squinting in sunlight. The rapidly changing lenses can also lessen glare by regulating the amount of natural light you are exposed to. The degree of darkening depends upon the amount of light. You’ll never be stuck with uncomfortable shades that let too much or too little light in.

- Transitions lenses darken within a mere 30 seconds and turn clear again just as fast. They maintain about 5-percent residual tint when indoors.

- Light sensitivity is reduced, because the lenses protect the eye from harmful UV rays. Reducing exposure to UV rays lowers the risk of cataracts and other age-related eye issues. The level of protection adjusts itself depending on the needs of your eyes.

CONS:

- They don’t work in a car because the windshield blocks the UV rays that are necessary to initiate the lenses’ darkening mechanism. However, some manufacturers currently have car-friendly lenses in the works. If you own a convertible you can ignore this point.

- Transitions lenses aren’t polarized just yet. If you wear prescription eyeglasses and you are light sensitive, the lenses won’t reduce the hard glare. On a positive note, this feature should be available in approximately 6 months. Several manufacturers do make polarized non-prescription lenses.

You can read more about the pros and cons of transitions lenses here:

http://spectacleshoppe.ca/blogs/news/10474153-pros-vs-cons-of-transition-lenses

I loved my transitions but they didn't get dark enough for me to use in full sunlight. They were great for the slightly overcast days though.  When I got my new glasses a couple months ago, I chose to not get transitions on the daily pair and got prescription sunglasses in addition. 

I love love love the prescription sunglasses I got, although I do wish I could have gotten them in larger lenses.  Unfortunately, they would have screwed up my peripheral vision and made it hard for me to drive. :(

With that said though, I greatly dislike having to swap glasses just to go in and out of buildings. It's a pain to juggle if I already have my hands full.  Now I wish I'd gone ahead and gotten transitions on my regular glasses so I could at least get to the car and then swap out for the sunglasses.

I loved mine. Had them with each prescription for several years (until LASIK, which I love even more). I only even bothered with prescription sunglasses once and learned that I simply never had them on hand to switch when I wanted them. So it was transitions or contact lenses with cheap sunglasses, and at different stages of my life each of those options won. I actually prefer my sunglasses to have very small lenses, so that wasn't an issue, and the transitions got dark enough for my tastes.