Menu

Tubal ligation failure?

I have heard the cauterization method fails more often than the clips. The tube is more likely to grow back together if there is nothing between them. The old "snip/burn" is not used as often as the "wedding bands".

I was *very* young when I had my tubal done (thanks to endometriosis and the endometrial ablation I had) and I have four "wedding bands", two on each tube-there is really no way my tubal will fail.

My doctor says it is only 99% effective per person (not per encounter). So that means it can happen to 1 in 100 women that have the procedure done.

The other thing she said is that if I ever miss my period I need to get into the Dr. ASAP! The failures are more likely to result in a tubal pregnancy!!!

Not to be nosey, but how old are you? Could it be your body changing and not a pregnancy?

Right.

I know there is a failure rate, but have never heard of it happening. . . .

Trying to decide whether to get a test or wait some more. My cycles have Always been Very Irregular. But it's been a long while since it's been quite this . . . long in coming.

Thanks for the input, ladies.

~T.

The GYN that did my surgery said he has never personally seen a failure, but has heard of them. Either they happen directly after the procedure or 10yrs+ after the procedure. Meaning either (a) it wasn't done correctly or (b) the body "fixed" what it felt was wrong, meaning the tubes grew back together.

I have a friend who had her tubes tied after a very difficult fourth pregnancy-a clamp on one side and cauterization on the other. Fast forward almost eighteen months later, and she has just given birth to her fifth baby two days ago. (Conceived while still breastfeeding, too!) It was a planned c-section, and they said that they would be able to tell her after whether the clamp came loose or the other side grew back together. She's still in the hospital, though, so I haven't heard from her which it was.

The GYN that did my surgery said he has never personally seen a failure, but has heard of them. Either they happen directly after the procedure or 10yrs+ after the procedure. Meaning either (a) it wasn't done correctly or (b) the body "fixed" what it felt was wrong, meaning the tubes grew back together.

That's what mine said too with the 99%. I asked her if any of her patients returned surprised and she said, no, she has never seen it happen. But another Dr. in the office did treat a epoctic pregnancy from a tubal a couple years earlier.

Not to be nosey, but how old are you? Could it be your body changing and not a pregnancy?

Well, I'm in my young mid-ish 30s. That's not quite menopause time, is it?

I have a friend who had her tubes tied after a very difficult fourth pregnancy-a clamp on one side and cauterization on the other. Fast forward almost eighteen months later, and she has just given birth to her fifth baby two days ago. (Conceived while still breastfeeding, too!) It was a planned c-section, and they said that they would be able to tell her after whether the clamp came loose or the other side grew back together. She's still in the hospital, though, so I haven't heard from her which it was.

Oh, wow! I'd be curious to know which is was, if you wind up finding out. Congratulations to your friend--I'm pretty sure :)

Oh, wow! I'd be curious to know which is was, if you wind up finding out. Congratulations to your friend--I'm pretty sure :)

She's happy about it now, though it did take her three months to figure out what was going on and another four months to get over being downright mad about it.

I've met 3 women that it happened to. All of them were the cauterization types of ligations.

Before you consider this, really truly give it A LOT of thought. It is a permanent procedure. Though some women have had successful reversals, they are the exception, not the rule.

I have seen surgeons who actually cut and remove all of the tube except the fimbrae and there is absolutely no going back from that procedure.

Talk with your doctor about the risks of surgery and what other options are open to you.

Unless you are absolutely sure that you will never, ever want another pregnancy, find another method that works for you. That means think about what you would do if you found yourself without your current partner, for whatever reason. I have met women who were either divorced or widowed and thier new husband wanted children and they were desperate to be able to get pregnant.

Just food for thought.

I had a friend that it happened to as well. One tube reconnected and the other didn't. Somehow the doctor even decided that the side that didn't reconnect was the side that the egg traveled down. After that baby, she had it done again, only to become pregnant again. After that she decided it was time for her dh to experience the snip.

I've met 3 women that it happened to. All of them were the cauterization types of ligations.

Before you consider this, really truly give it A LOT of thought. It is a permanent procedure. Though some women have had successful reversals, they are the exception, not the rule.

I have seen surgeons who actually cut and remove all of the tube except the fimbrae and there is absolutely no going back from that procedure.

Talk with your doctor about the risks of surgery and what other options are open to you.

Unless you are absolutely sure that you will never, ever want another pregnancy, find another method that works for you. That means think about what you would do if you found yourself without your current partner, for whatever reason. I have met women who were either divorced or widowed and thier new husband wanted children and they were desperate to be able to get pregnant.

Just food for thought.

I believe that the OP has already had one done and is wondering if she might be pg.

If it is you that you are talking about and you think you are pregnant, I'd take a test ASAP. Just last week a friend, who has her tubes tied, had a late period and took a test. It was positive. She immediately got a hold of her doctor, who wanted to see her immediately. Ectopic pregnancies are usually the sort of pregnancies, if any, that result when someone has their tubes tied. Thankfully her doctor was quick because she was wheeled into surgery that night and her fallopian tube had already ruptured and she was bleeding internally.

I have seen surgeons who actually cut and remove all of the tube except

are you in the medical field? My Dr. said this is no longer standard procedure. :confused:

I think most women understand that it is permanent which is the exact reason why they have it done! :D The future is always uncertain but I'm happy with the children God has given me.

A high school classmate of mine has a sister 15 years her junior because her mom's body decided to regrow the tube a decade after the procedure was done. The mom was 40ish at the time and didn't realize she was pregnant until feeling the baby move. She didn't have any morning sickness and thought the missed periods and weight gain were signs of peri-menopause. Can you imagine the shock she must've had upon discovering she was pregnant? :eek:

I knew a lady who had a surprise baby after a tubal...it was 10+ years as well.

From what I hear, the younger you are when you have it done, the greater your chances of having them fail. But it's still pretty rare. (I secretly hope that since I was 24, and it's been 9+ years, that I'm due for a failure...:lol::lol:)

I know two people, personally, who have had failed tubals.

DH's aunt (his cousin is now in high school) ;)

and a close family friend. She had a tubal ligation because she is severely diabetic and her doctor advised her for the sake of her own health not to get pregnant again. One year later - she did. She and the baby were both fine.

Actually I pray that I am in that 1%. I regard my tubal as one of the biggest mistakes of my life.:sad:

• Sad 1

I got pregnant twice after having my tubes clamped. the first I miscarried, I had lots of complications, and went and saw a gynecologist(the same one who had done the procedure) he said that one clamp had ripped through one tube, and destroyed the ovary. I had to have the one ovary removed the tube was already gone. he tried to put dye through the other tube 4 times, knowing that I had been pregnant. none went through. 3 weeks later I was pregnant again, my baby is now 6. there haven't been any more "acts of God since"

:scared: I think this thread is bad for me.

I've already had 3 c-sections and I throw-up the entire pregnancy.

My tubes are tightly tied.

:lol:

Maybe hubby ought to see the doctor too. ;)

Just food for thought.

Um, is this to me? I'm the OP. I've already had my tubes tied and am very happy with my decision. Thank you for the warning, though.

Just food for thought.

For me I was not even 25yrs of age and we *did* want more children but there was no other way I could have the surgery that I *needed* to help the severe pain and massive blood loss each month from the endometriosis. An endometrial ablation leaves the woman at a very high risk of miscarriage. Therefore a tubal is always done at the same time. In certain cases there *are* not any other methods that work. We also had a very hard time getting pregnant and staying pregnant-my body was not made for babies despite my huge hips :tongue_smilie:

I know two women who had ligations and then found out they were pregnant. In both cases they were in the early stage of pregnancy at the time of the procedure.

Wow, that is crazy. I'm surprised they didn't check that before the procedure.

I had my tubal during my youngest dd's c-section. I'm pretty sure it was a cauterization. I was told the chances of a slip-through was around 1 in 1500 and if we changed our minds, they would recommend in-vitro over a reversal.

I'm definitely done having kids and hoping that the tubal, combined with advanced paternal age (54) and advanced maternal age (41) will keep us safe.

:scared: I think this thread is bad for me.

I've already had 3 c-sections .....

:lol:

:iagree: Ya'll are scaring me! I have a TL. DH has a V. We better not ever, ever get pg again!! (I have severe HELLP syndrome and try to die about 3/4 of the way into a pregnancy. I'm blessed to have the three I have and with as few preemie related problems as they have.)

Wow, that is crazy. I'm surprised they didn't check that before the procedure.

I had my tubal during my youngest dd's c-section. I'm pretty sure it was a cauterization. I was told the chances of a slip-through was around 1 in 1500 and if we changed our minds, they would recommend in-vitro over a reversal.

I'm definitely done having kids and hoping that the tubal, combined with advanced paternal age (54) and advanced maternal age (41) will keep us safe.

Their pregnancies were 20+ years ago. Pregnancy tests have advanced a lot since then.

• 12 years later...