Menu

What curriculum are you most excited about using?

lisabelle

I know some of us have already started and some of us have not. This is my first year homeschooling and I've carefully thought about what I want to accomplish and bought my materials and am waiting excitedly/nervously for our first day of school on Sept. 7. The materials I am *most* excited about using are History Odyssey, Level 2 Ancients.

What are you all most excited about?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dare I say it?

MCT.

We did Grammar Town last spring and took a brief look at Building Poems and Caesar's English. I know that those will be great, but I'm really looking forward to Paragraph Town. I really want to focus on writing this year and I think this will help us write well, rather than just writing mechanically.

For dd - probably the Art of Problem Solving books.

For ds - Spelling Workout. I know that sounds weird, but after it being necessary to do AAS with dd, I'm looking forward to easier spelling sooo much. Is that awful? :tongue_smilie:

For both - not really "curriculum," but we're doing a lot more memory work. My kids are going to be part of that small percentage of the population that knows stuff like the Supreme Court justices. :)

Logos Latin I

Life of Fred: Fractions

Life of Fred: Algebra II

Life of Fred: Statistics

:iagree: WISHED the Life of Fred series existed when I was in Junior High..I would have loved it and maybe would have actually enjoyed math. Looking foward to my son reading life of Fred:Fractions this year . Also looking foward to Tapestry Of Grace YR 1 with both kids!

I am about to start reading "A Dog Called Kitty" to my five year old... I'm really excited about it because my mom read this book to me as a kid. Does that count? :D

No really, I should say Story of the World Book 1... and the activity book and all the read-alouds that go with the ancients. :001_smile:

I'm excited about getting started with Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory with my youngest AND using a Sonlight core with my oldest. I am so ready to study American History after THREE years of World History. We are going to plan some special field trips to go along with our studies, too. I'm also adding some material to cover Alabama state history. We are going to visit forts and battlefields, etc. I'm really looking forward to that.

So, Ali, what are you specifically using for writing for your oldest?

Thanks.

Dare I say it?

MCT.

We did Grammar Town last spring and took a brief look at Building Poems and Caesar's English. I know that those will be great, but I'm really looking forward to Paragraph Town. I really want to focus on writing this year and I think this will help us write well, rather than just writing mechanically.

Heart of Dakota, Bigger: So glad that I have an affordable plan to get my reluctant reader gradually introduced to more reading and school work.

Phonics Road: Not exciting really, but so happy that all of our LA is covered and I have no worries.

I am also thinking of buying Winterpromise K LA because it is the only thing getting me excited about teaching DS to read.

Oak Meadow 1 with my oldest. I've practically memorized the Syllabus. It's going to be so much fun this year!

Oak Meadow. I love, love, love Oak Meadow. For many years, I was trying to create a homeschool experience through books, curriculum and stuff I wrote myself when Oak Meadow had already done it for me.

:001_smile:

Me too! I adore Oak Meadow! I used Oak Meadow 4 with my daughter last year and can't wait to do Oak Meadow 5 with her this year, in addition to starting Oak Meadow K with my son.

a Culinary Arts elective I designed with 2 of Alton Brown's cookbooks

Southcarolinamom, I've wanted to do that also! I learn so much from Alton Brown. I've also thought a serious bread baking book like "Bread Alone" or "The Bread Baker's Apprentice" would be a great addition to that study.

I'm excited to use Words Are Wonderful, books 1 and 4 for my 3rd and 6th graders,

History Odyssey, Middle Ages, Levels 1, 2, and 3 for my 3rd, 6th, and 10th graders and,

hoping to have some fun doing "nature study" with the 3rd and 6th graders, using My Side of the Mountain, Fun with Nature, More Fun with Nature, The Private Eye, and TOPS Animal Survival (we'll see how that goes).

Guest RecumbentHeart

Most? MEP Reception. We started some weeks ago and I'm actually inspired by my enjoyment of the process rather than being mostly inspired by simply looking forward to the goal... if that makes sense. It feels more like quality time with DS than it does school.

Mystery of History vol. 1. We started this week and so far, we are loving it!

I was going to say Mystery of History as well! Today my kids took a break mid-lesson to mummify each other :D. (Yeah, they do more serious work too, but it was fun to do something light-hearted today! Wait, does that mean we're kinda sick if we look at mummification as light-hearted?!!)

All About Spelling

Sonlight Core 6 readers & readalouds are a big hit so far too.

MUS prealgebra is going great too.

Wait, that's more than one...

Merry :-)

So, Ali, what are you specifically using for writing for your oldest?

Thanks.

I am using Paragraph Town for writing instruction. I hope to have dd complete a short writing assignment 4-5 days each week. This will include Paragraph Town, WTM-style history outline once a week, Biblioplan writing prompts periodically, occasional book reports, math problem of the week, whatever writing assignments are in R&S grammar which we will also do, etc. Most will be short assignments; my goal is frequent writing that is executed well, but my guess is that the length of most will be a page (8x10.5 wide rule paper) or less. We'll also be working on typing this year so that next year we can focus on essays and longer writings.

Guest Cindie2dds
Time Travelers from Homeschool in the Woods

I saw you mention this on your blog. I looks like fun. Have you used one of their CDs before?