Menu

Who here considers themself to be a minority?

I don't want this to cause a problem but I am curious who here is from a minorty ethnic group (I guess basically non-Caucasian)? The general stereotype of homeschooler (at least in our area) is a white stay at home mom with a husband working in a middle class type job with 4-6 kids.

We are sorta a minority family. I am only 1/4 Native American (Cherokee) while DH is 1/2 (and looks) Native American (Ottawa). Our son is 1/8th Ottawa and our girls are 1/4 Cherokee (all adopted through foster care and placed with us through the Native American foster care agency).

What other minorities/different ethnic groups do we have here?

Rookie--do you care to share what ethnic background you are? We have been studying at church that there is only ONE race---the HUMAN race but many nationalities/ethnic groups.

If you don't want to share specifics, that is fine. I am just curious as 99.9% of the homeschoolers in our area are Caucasian.

I'm mixed race, half Jamaican and half British (my mum is white and my dad is black, I was born and grew up in England). My eldest sons father is Arabic/British, so he is half Arabic, quarter Jamaican, quarter British. (he looks mostly middle eastern). My younger two sons are quarter Jamaican, quarter Brit and half American. (they both look white, blonde hair and green eyes). My husband is white/American and the cat is, well we don't know but she's gorgeous! :)

We're white, but live in a predominately black/Mexican area. DS was the only white kid at his BS daycamp. So even though we don't feel it from society at large or in the hs community, we do get some firsthand experience as a minority.

I am a SAHM, homeschool, go to church on Saturday, vegetarian--leaning toward vegan diet, and do not drink any alcohol. I'd say that makes me pretty much a minority, even though I'm caucasion. :D

ETA--I only have 3 kids :)

Edited by Brindee

Jews are definitely a minority since only 1 in 457 people in the world is Jewish (.2%). And as an orthodox Jew we're something like only 1 in 4,570. And as an orthodox homeschooling Jew, I won't even venture to guess how incredibly miniscule that number is! :) And as an orthodox Jew who adopted 2 children from Ethiopia, well... :)

-Kerith

my children are adopted from Korea. In any homeschooled group we have been in, they were the only non-whilte children there. Last year, my dd went to public school for 9 th grade, there were only 2 other Asians in the entire school but lots of Hispanics and several blacks. Dd had friends from all the races.

We're definitely a minority around here.

I'm black, my spouse, who's also female, is Hispanic, and we only have the one child,who's black like me but easily over a foot taller than both of us.

We stand out. :lol:

Ack! Wait! How is it possible that your son is done with high school already?!

Edited by Crissy

Eh, with disappearance of stigmatized intermarriage, within in a generation or two we will just be different shades of coffee.

Barb

I hope so. It was only in the last couple of years that I found out that my great grandmother was Asian. It was something the family didn't talk about and I think that is just silly.

No, but I suspect my future nieces and nephews may well be multi-ethnic. My brother's last serious girlfriend was Puerto Rican and his current one is Chinese-American. My other brother is currently dating a Caucasian girl but his ex-fiancee was from Japan.

There are a number of non-Caucasian and multi-ethnic kids in our HS support group.

My great g-ma was Indian.. and yes... she would have said Indian :) Perhaps she'd say "Native Indian:)" My mom has Irish in her too.... My dad a bit of "Native" :)Indian... Course, my easy skin for tanning might say Indian... but unless you compare my cheek bones.. you wouldn't know... BUT if you saw my great-Uncle with his cool braids... getting ready for war!! Then you'd believe it!! He was young! Our records all burned down, so no evidence besides the cool pics. And... that was at a time when it seems like they.... hid their heritage! Darn!!

:(

I am a red head with green eyes. I get abuse shouted at me in the street for having red hair. That makes me feel like I am a minority and odd enough for people to pick me out on the street as different even for a really minor reason.

Edited by lailasmum

My dh and I are not minorities (we're caucasian) but our kiddos are all varying degrees of black (african american). We're an adoptive family, too. Our older two are AA/C and our youngest is all AA.

And yes, almost always, every homeschooling family I see, everyone is white. I worried at first, but, I figure, we have a much higher percentage of AA kids in our homeschool than we do in our local public school!

when our extended family gets together (which is all the time since we all live near each other) we call ourselves the United Nations. Dh is Italian, his sister's first husband is Puerto Rician, they have 3 adult children, her current husband is Jewish. One bil is married to a black woman, they have 1 child. My nephew that is 1/2 Italian !/2 Puerto Rician married a girl from the Philippines and they have a child. My dc are Asian. Sil's ex is now married to a Puerto RIcan woman and they and some of their extended family come to all family functions.

By the way, I am Texan lol (Scottish and French ancestors).

None of us do, but I'm the only caucasian in my home. And since the other 3 are all Chinese, they don't consider themselves to be a minority either. "We're everywhere!" my dh quipped with a big :D when I just asked him this question.

I'm utterly average in race, but I belong to a minority religion! :D

Yes, this! Dh is an immigrant, of a wonderful cafe au lait color with black curls, but is not easily placed into a ethnic box solely on sight. On government forms, he has no other option to check than "white" :001_huh:.

Mixing his Mediterranean good-looks with my casper-like skintone, my kids have come out "utterly average" looking ethnically as well, although atypically adorable (but I'm biased ;)). Based on our names, style of dress and religion, though, we would be considered a minority.

when our extended family gets together (which is all the time since we all live near each other) we call ourselves the United Nations.

LOL, that's what my dad calls our family gatherings! Of my 18 first cousins, 3 are all white, 4 are half-Korean/quarter-Lebanese/quarter-Italian (& wowee! that's a good mix … they're stunning), and the rest are full Korean. One of my white cousins married a black man & has two sons who look like Obama, one of whom married a Danish girl -- their kid is a typical California latte-skinned person (as Barb said). What else ... I have a niece who is half-Chinese/1/4-Korean/1/4-white. No Latinos yet ... but we have pretty much everything else covered! My sons are 1/4-Korean, & typically taken for "white," but since they are dark-haired & look a tad different, they have been asked if they are Jewish, Eastern European, etc. (only by people of those ethnic groups themselves).

Our homeschooling circle is *mostly* white -- I wish it were more diverse. We have had a Jewish family from Israel, a black family, several Indian families (from India), a few Muslims from Pakistan, etc., but the core group is 3/4 white, 1/4 various levels of Asianness. At our park day with about 20 core families, there are kids who are 1/4 Chinese; 1/4-Chinese/1/4-Japanese; half-Japanese/half-Chinese; and full Chinese. Oh, & my kids. No Latinos, unfortunately, although that reflects the broader hs-demographics. My older son will attend public high school this year, which is at least a third Latino (school reg materials are in both English & Spanish). That will be an eye-opener for him (in a good way)! Whereas my other son is a definite minority at math camp & math competitions, since he's not full Asian!

~Laura

Edited by Laura in CA
typo!