Menu

Where do you put your hands?

Where do you put your hands when you drive?  

1. 1. Where do you put your hands when you drive?

• 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock
    • 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock
    • 11 o'clock and 1 o'clock
    • Somewhere down around 6 o'clock
    • Other (drive with toes? knees?)

I voted 10 and 2.

If I am driving one-handed though, I'm an underhanded 8. :D

That's why I was curious! DH often holds the bottom of the steering wheel with one hand, probably because he spends so much time having to answer radio calls, sending MDT messages, etc. while on the job.

DH says it also gives much better control of the steering wheel (not that he does any such thing).

I have looked at this too because I am a one handed, 6 o clock driver too. My father brought it to my attention when he visited recently. He and his wife commented that they felt very safe driving with me, and that I seemed like a good driver- yet I drive the same as my dad- one handed, 6 o clock. Of course, I put 2 hands on as soon as I need to and rarely turn a 90degree corner with one hand :)

Since they made the comment I have really been noticing...and I feel I have a lot of sensitive and fine motor control of the steering wheel driving this way. I have consciously tried other ways and it doesnt feel comfortable to me. Of course, we have power steering- I couldnt do it without it, I imagine.

ETA I never text or answer my mobile or even fiddle with the radio while driving. The other hand often just rests on my lap.

When I took driver's ed (a loonngg time ago), I was taught 3 & 9. However, 10 & 2 feels better to me, so that's what I do - if I'm driving with two hands. If not, then I will usually have one hand at the 12 o'clock position...or sometimes, if I'm feeling a little wild and crazy, I'll do a one-handed 6 o'clock! :D

When I took driver's ed (a loonngg time ago), I was taught 3 & 9. However, 10 & 2 feels better to me, so that's what I do -

:iagree: I have to have been driving for hours and hours before I rest a bit by driving one handed. One handed with the other on the gear stick while going around roundabouts doesn't count, does it? No texting here either. It's illegal!!

Rosie

On our Suburban I sometimes do 10 and 2 but I did actually break my wrist from an airbag so I try to remember not to do that. I will move down to 9 and 3 but I will usually have my index finger and thumb hooked around the panel going across the inside of the steering wheel with just the other three fingers hooked around the outside of the wheel. Sometimes I rest both hands on the internal panel and on long highway trips I will have one hand at 6 resting in my lap.

My Civic is a manual transmission so its completely different. Usually I feel the best control with my left hand at 10, right hand is either on the gear shift or at 4/5 position underhand. I do occasionally do turns one-handed if I need to shift at the same time (which is most of the time I guess) but will usually move to 9 and hook the inside cross panel to gain additional control with turning.

I do have a habit of gripping too tightly and if I keep my hands in the same position too long, my fingers get numb.

I was always told 10 and 2, but I keep them somewhere around 6 now, since I've seen some nasty airbag injuries.
:eek: Do tell.

I was thinking about this thread yesterday while driving. :tongue_smilie: It appears I drive with my left hand at 12:00 nearly always, unless I'm driving at higher speeds on the interstate.