Menu

How did you name your homeschool?

A school name was required in California. First we were "Freedom Learning Center." I was all about John Holt, and I didn't believe that children needed to go to a place called a "school" where someone called a "teacher" forced them to learn stuff they didn't need to know. After 4 years my dds confessed that they couldn't tell anyone they went to Freedom Learning Center, so the last year we were in San Diego, we named our school "Southeast San Diego Christian Academy." :D

In San Jose, I started an umbrella school, which I named Plantation Christian School, from Psalm 1, where it talks about the righteous being like trees planted by streams of water, which will never wither and will prosper. I imagined all the families in my school being like little plantations of trees which were becoming strong oaks (although I read somewhere that probably the trees talked about in those verses were palm trees, not oaks, lol). :-)

Mine is Cornerstone Classical Academy. It used to be something more cutesy but we decided to make it something the kids could actually say with pride if they wanted to. I use Isaiah 28:16 as our verse:

Therefore thus says the Lord GOD:

“ Behold, I lay in Zion a stone for a foundation,

A tried stone, a precious cornerstone, a sure foundation;

Whoever believes will not act hastily.

Mine is Cornerstone Classical Academy. It used to be something more cutesy but we decided to make it something the kids could actually say with pride if they wanted to.

This is really important. People should try to imagine their 6ft tall 13yo dss telling people the names of their schools before they decide on something.

Ours is HS 811. It is similar to how schools were named in Brooklyn where DH grew up--PS (to stand for Public School) ###. We chose the number 811, as our anniversary is August 11th, which is when we officially became a family unit. We also have Proverbs 8:11 as part of our homeschool vision: "Wisdom is more precious than rubies, and nothing you desire can compare with her."

We don't typically use our name except for filling out forms. When our kids are a little older we will probably decide on a new name together.

I came up with mine a few weeks ago.

Originally, it was just (last name) Academy but I felt like getting more creative.

It is now The Founding Fathers Academy of Exploration.

My father instilled the same respect he has for the Founding Fathers in me, and I am starting homeschooling now in 11th grade to explore more options for myself and my education.

Ours is the name of a street that was plotted but never paved. It was designed to go through the property where we used to live. After 70 years we figured it wouldn't be developed. Plus Wakefield Academy sounded like something cool to put on a diploma.

Ours is Hill Country Classical Academy. We live in the TX Hill Country. :)

We went though a list of probably 20 names when we came up with ours. Either DH didn't like it, DD didn't like it, or I didn't like it... I think we ended up in the right spot though.

The first time we lived in CA it was Goodwin Street School. We lived on Goodwin Drive. Real imaginative there. LOL

Then it was Parker Canyon Academy. We lived on Parker Street and there were canyons behind our house.

Now it's Desert Hills Academy. We live in the desert and there are gorgeous hills/mountains all around us.

Wow I never thought to name our school!! Everytime I fill out a form that asks the school name I just list the academy we are registered through.

Hmmm..now I must think of a name. My dh is great with that!! :D

Using the name of the school you're registered with would be correct. You would only have a different school name if you didn't enroll with an outside entity.

Western Reserve Academy.

I wasn't really planning to name ours until later, as in when I need to issue diplomas. However, I recently found myself in a situation where a school name was required.

The part of Ohio we live in is often referred to as the Western Reserve, and growing up I had wanted to go to Case Western Reserve University for college.

Couchtop College :)

Over here, college is not university, so I'm not making any claims to providing tertiary education! The name came about because I wonder if I'll ever get dd down off the back of the couch long enough to do school. I daresay we'll need a proper name when the kids grow up, but the "real" name is Couchtop college.

:)

Rosie

Ours is Arbor Creek School based on Psalm 1 --

He is like a tree

planted by streams of water

that yields its fruit in its season,

and its leaf does not wither.

In all that he does, he prospers. (v.3)

I wanted something nature/CMish and that encompased our vision in homeschooling. It fits us and I love it. :)

We officially are listed with our cover school, but unofficially we're "Our Lady of Song parochial school". My mother named it, because "Lady of Song" is the translation for my first and middle names, and it just SOUNDS like a parochial school (with a fine arts focus ;) )

I called our house Owl House because we had so many (and I even got to see owls training offspring to hunt), therefore I picked Owl House School. However, we have moved into white-bread, cul-de-sac land, and I think naming such an indistinct house rather pompous. I think I'll just stick to Owl House School.

Dh & myself have always called the children "the monsters" You know---"lets go pick up the monsters" or "what are the monsters doing?"

Dh is of Scottish origin and I've worked hard to have all Celtic/Scottish/Welsh names for said monsters.

A Kelpie is a Scottish water monster

So we are Scottish monster school

Lara

After a particularly challenging homily that our priest gave at church (on the feast day of the Ascension of Christ), I asked for his blessing to name our home school Holy Ascension Academy. We will be getting an icon of the Ascension to include in our icon corner to remind us to pray and seek his will in our endeavors ......