Menu

You knew it was coming...free condoms provided for elementary kids at school...

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a small point but the kids actually have to go and request them...they are not handing them out on the playground. And the school didn't want to set an arbitrary age limit as kids younger and younger are having sex.

It certainly is not something everyone would support but I think it is admirable of the school district to try and tackle the problem head on instead of waiting for parents to wake up and take notice.

This is very sad (about the 11yo), however think about some Muslim countries or other non-Muslim 3rd world countries in India, other places in Asia, and Africa, where girls are married at 8 or 9 - these early births are common. The real tragedy is that action should be taken to protect those girls and instead they are ignored.

http://www.boston.com/news/education/k_12/articles/2010/06/24/condoms_secrecy_for_provincetown_pupils/

Singer assured critics that, despite the strict wording of the policy, its practical application will be more flexible, and that not every child who requests a condom will necessarily get one. For example, if a student in the early elementary school grades requests a condom, the nurse will ask the student a series of questions and almost certainly deny them, she said.Ă¢â‚¬Å“If that were to happen, we would deal with it in a professional and appropriate way,Ă¢â‚¬â„¢Ă¢â‚¬â„¢ she said. Ă¢â‚¬Å“I donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t anticipate that this policy is going to affect youngsters. ItĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s there for adolescents.Ă¢â‚¬â„¢Ă¢â‚¬â„¢

Shaking head. I don't know.

All I can say is...it's amazing how much more Developmentally-Appropriate my homeschooled kids are compared to our friends/neighbors. My 3rd grader spent all day yesterday with the 5 yro, pretending to be chameleons. I was told a couple of weeks ago that the 10 year-old boy down the street was "propositioning" my 3rd grader. Come on. Seriously. She told me what he said and she didn't have a clue what he was talking about. She's a chameleon, remember? :D

Like my sister said once after watching my kids playing outside, "That's probably what kids were like a hundred years ago." And that was a huge compliment coming from her. :001_unsure:

Hmmmmmm...

I'm outraged on one hand and saddened by the other that people "allow" liberal agendas pushed down everyone's throats.

Let's go ahead and give these children permission to marry too!

Pathetic.

Once AGAIN, as I stated in my recent thread and others also replied when my dd had her recent pediatric visit, this should not be the responsibility of the school to "parent" children and they should not teach children about se*. It shouldn't be disguised in the form at my dd's pediatric visit, it should not be taught by the public school system....it is the responsibility of the parent.

Parents are suppose to "parent" their children.....not the pediatric office, educational system, etc.

Yeah, I really don't want my kids to find out about that subject from other people, either... Well, and there's also something to be said for parents wanting to allow their kids to have their innocence as long as they feel appropriate.

Out of all the disturbing comments in this article, I think these are the worst...

Ă¢â‚¬Å“ItĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s about availability,Ă¢â‚¬â„¢Ă¢â‚¬â„¢ said committee chairman Peter Grosso. Ă¢â‚¬Å“WeĂ¢â‚¬â„¢re not handing Ă¢â‚¬â„¢em out like M&MĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s.Ă¢â‚¬â„¢Ă¢â‚¬â„¢

But Grasso said any student who wants a condom, preschoolers and up, should get one.Ă¢â‚¬Å“As the grades get lower, the possibility gets lower,Ă¢â‚¬â„¢Ă¢â‚¬â„¢ he said, Ă¢â‚¬Å“but weĂ¢â‚¬â„¢re not going to pick an age.Ă¢â‚¬â„¢Ă¢â‚¬â„¢

I'm outraged on one hand and saddened by the other that people "allow" liberal agendas pushed down everyone's throats.

Pathetic.

Once AGAIN, as I stated in my recent thread and others also replied when my dd had her recent pediatric visit, this should not be the responsibility of the school to "parent" children and they should not teach children about se*. It shouldn't be disguised in the form at my dd's pediatric visit, it should not be taught by the public school system....it is the responsibility of the parent.

Parents are suppose to "parent" their children.....not the pediatric office, educational system, etc.

Sadly quite a few parents don't want to take on the responsibility. They want the school to teach about it. Our school talked about it but it was more about STDs you get from it. It was recommended to go to Planned Parenthoold to get the condoms. I remember paying a few dollars for a dozen condoms in high school at Planned Parenthood. Also not many parents want to the one this against it.

Just a small point but the kids actually have to go and request them...they are not handing them out on the playground. And the school didn't want to set an arbitrary age limit as kids younger and younger are having sex.

It certainly is not something everyone would support but I think it is admirable of the school district to try and tackle the problem head on instead of waiting for parents to wake up and take notice.

I agree.

Phrases like "liberal agendas pushed down everyone's throats" are tiresome. (I'm thinking it's time liberals should co-opt that phrase: conservative agendas pushed down everyone's throats....)

What is the agenda here: to ensure children don't get pregnant or pass on STDs? Do you honestly believe that helping these children causes them to want to have sex? :confused: Uninvolved parents, movies depicting sexualized children, school peer culture...these things lead the children to think sex is okay when they're 11. By the time they're willing to go to an adult at school they've already made up their mind and are just exercising enough sense to take precautions against pregnancy and disease. (Not much other sense, I'll warrant.)

And "pushed down everyone's throats": Do you think the adults giving them to a child are cheering them on, or perhaps they're saying, "Uh, are you sure about this?"

But many of them *aren't* parenting them. That's the problem. There is no "pushing a liberal agenda down their throat" when they're uninvolved. And if we do nothing because we've decided it's immoral to offer parenting to children who aren't being parented at home, well that's "pushing a conservative agenda down my throat".

I just found out a lady at our church has allowed her 5th grade daughter to have a boyfriend since Christmas; he is older (middle school) and she sees nothing wrong with this situation.

:001_huh:

Pathetic.

I am disheartened but not surprised.

My dh and I have talked about things like this before.

It isn't just about indoctrinating kids (although I certainly believe there is that) it is also about need.

Government sees (because they are wolves and wait to see where they can pounce...my opinion) where things are lacking. They step in "concerned" and say "we will help you" and then take over.

You are right parents should be the ones teaching kids stuff. If kids go to ps then parents should be teaching personal things like drugs, sex, religion and the like. But parents don't. They were afraid to talk about it or just didn't. Schools/governments saw this and stepped in to take on what others would not.

Sure it has gotten out of hand, and now they are pushing the envelope and seeing how far they can go and disguising it as anti-discriminatory to include all age ranges.

*IF* parents (all parents) would step up to the plate and fight this then it wouldn't happen. It has to be the majority of parents too not just a handful. The reason I started hs'ing is because I tried fighting the school and hit a brick wall reinforced by steel. But a lot parents (not all) nowadays are lazy (sure we may call it busy, working two jobs etc... but what is more important?) and don't want to deal with kid issues because they are working two jobs or have other issues to attend to.

So to me it isn't the schools fault, shoot it isn't even the governments fault. It is the people's fault for letting it happen in the first place.

:rant:

:D

So far, just from going to the park with kids a year older than herself, Diva has been exposed to a drinking party, then listened to a brother encouraging another to perform or*l s*x on the girl with them at the drinking party. :glare: This is the same girl I heard under my bedroom window, bragging about making her 'boyfriend' let her give him a 'b**w j*b'. :glare:

I know for a fact that this girl's parents are completely ignorant of what goes on with their dd, deliberately so. They accuse others of lying, etc when you try and tell them she's wading into dangerous territory. They buy her all the latest gadgets, take her to completely inappropriate movies (I know this as Diva was invited), send her to boot camp x 2, and put her in an all girls school. Yet, they don't spend any real time with her, and wonder why she's having problems.

I agree with pp that stated this is a reason to continue hsing.

IMO, it is a sad, vicious cycle. True, "health education" in school is likely not going to introduce the idea of "intimate activity" into the kids' heads. Unfortunately, it has already been planted there by popular culture. However, it can add an air of acceptability/viability to it that could provide some kids with enough information and encouragement to take the leap, if not balanced with strong evidence to discourage the behavior.

I fully understand that it is irresponsible not to ensure that young people have the information necessary to save their lives, stop the spread of disease, and prevent unwanted pregnancies. However, since the public school district has no right to "moralize" or push a particular moral philosophy on its students, the kids can come away with the wrong impression that, now that they have the appropriate info., they may as well use it.

The common refrain of, "We aren't encouraging this activity, but if kids are going to do it, we want them to be informed" is equivalent to drug education consisting of "Drugs are bad, but if you're going to use them, this is how to do so safely, and there are free needles in the nurse's office". Yes, lesser of the evils I suppose, but why not strongly discourage the behavior in the first place, have lengthy discussions of the negative effects and consequences, etc.? Why are schools allowed to teach "Say no to drugs" but not "Say no to ..."?

Ideally, parents would be the ones to have all of these discussions with their kids. In reality, many don't, and in the interest of society, someone has to. However, by providing neutral "health" information and access to "supplies", without spending at least an equal amount of time, if not more, frankly discussing the numerous negative effects of this behavior, schools are only perpetuating the problem.

Society bears the brunt of the bad choices of it's citizens and should have a strong agenda of "healthy choice" education. At the moment, it appears everyone has thrown up their hands, thrown in the towel, and decided putting bandaids on the problem is better than nothing.

It's a sad, sad situation.

I agree.

Phrases like "liberal agendas pushed down everyone's throats" are tiresome. (I'm thinking it's time liberals should co-opt that phrase: conservative agendas pushed down everyone's throats....)

Where do you think conservatives got that phrase in the first place?;) It seems to be a phrase that is traded back and forth depending on which party is in power.

And "pushed down everyone's throats": Do you think the adults giving them to a child are cheering them on, or perhaps they're saying, "Uh, are you sure about this?"

I don't believe that the adults "will be cheering them on" as you say. I believe when the phrase "pushed down everyone's throats" is used, it is referring to the parents who aren't allowed to have a say in this process.

The parents who are against this and are basically being told "what you think or believe doesn't matter" most definitely feel like this is being pushed down their throats.

Personally, I don't like it all, but after reading some of the horror stories on this board and in the news about "incidents" happening at younger and younger ages, I can see why there might be a need for this. It's very sad. I can see where it might help the kids who have uninvolved parents, but what about the parents who are involved and want to have a say? Should their rights be ignored?

Sue

Edited by suenc

Dh just told me this program is being rolled back because of outrage. Said he heard it this am on the news, but I don't have a source.

Thank goodness.

I agree.

Really? How about Christian agenda being pushed down everyone's throats.... Or were you being tongue in cheek?

What is the agenda here: to ensure children don't get pregnant or pass on STDs? Do you honestly believe that helping these children causes them to want to have sex? :confused: Uninvolved parents, movies depicting sexualized children, school peer culture...these things lead the children to think sex is okay when they're 11. By the time they're willing to go to an adult at school they've already made up their mind and are just exercising enough sense to take precautions against pregnancy and disease. (Not much other sense, I'll warrant.)

Maybe they should provide beds too? Then the kids won't have to sneak around.

I'm sure they're very careful to keep their opinions to themselves, after all that's the parents' domain. Silence could, of course, be considered consent.

But many of them *aren't* parenting them. That's the problem. There is no "pushing a liberal agenda down their throat" when they're uninvolved. And if we do nothing because we've decided it's immoral to offer parenting to children who aren't being parented at home, well that's "pushing a conservative agenda down my throat".

I'm so sick and tired of other people attempting to parent my children, because SOME parents don't parent their own children. This crosses the line, giving contraception to children without their parents' permission CROSSES THE LINE. I wonder if their office hands out Tylenol without parents' permission? I wonder if they let kids leave school without parents' permission? Crazy enough, they still want permission to medicate a child, but they're free and clear to "not honor" the wishes of the parent where condoms are concerned? What?!?

And can I just say how utterly sick and tired I am of hearing, "Well, you can't watch them every minute..." :glare: I heard this at the park the other day, when I was out w/Tazzie and Princess. I chuckled, and when asked why, I said, "I homeschool. I *do* watch them every minute, or my dh does." I mean, come on, we were talking about a 3 and 5 yo, not teens! It seems the "We can't watch them..." is an abdication of parental responsibility in some cases, a shrugging of the shoulders and 'whatever happens, happens' attitude.

Thank goodness.

I'm so sick and tired of other people attempting to parent my children, because SOME parents don't parent their own children. This crosses the line, giving contraception to children without their parents' permission CROSSES THE LINE. I wonder if their office hands out Tylenol without parents' permission? I wonder if they let kids leave school without parents' permission? Crazy enough, they still want permission to medicate a child, but they're free and clear to "not honor" the wishes of the parent where condoms are concerned? What?!?

DITTO!! I can answer a few of these questions.... ABSOLUTELY NOT on the Tylenol thing.... In fact, in our district, our school can only give Tylenol 3 times with parental permission over the phone throughout the school year. After that, you need to have a doctor's note on file. ABSOLUTELY NOT on leaving without permission. If your kid brings a note into the office that they are leaving early or riding home with someone else, the secretaries call parents of both parties to verify. It galls me that we have these restrictions, but if they want a condom, they walk in and ask... and parents are not informed. Boggles the mind because if something were to happen, say a pregnancy or STD, we the parents are going to be responsible for the medical bills.

UGH!!

The common refrain of, "We aren't encouraging this activity, but if kids are going to do it, we want them to be informed" is equivalent to drug education consisting of "Drugs are bad, but if you're going to use them, this is how to do so safely, and there are free needles in the nurse's office". Yes, lesser of the evils I suppose, but why not strongly discourage the behavior in the first place, have lengthy discussions of the negative effects and consequences, etc.? Why are schools allowed to teach "Say no to drugs" but not "Say no to ..."?

This is exactly what I was thinking. :iagree:

:iagree:

I would also add giving abortions to children without the parent's knowledge or consent. An abortion is a medical procedure. People die from medical procedures every day. Simple procedures can have unexpected complications. They won't let kids go on a field trip without a parental permission form, but getting an abortion is okay?:confused:

Sue

Does anyone but me have a mental picture of 4th grade boys turning them into water balloons and having a fight on the playground??

Most elementary school kids are in the "eww, yuck!" stage where the opposite sex is concerned. The only elementary school kids I've known who were sexually active were girls who were spending time with MUCH older boys-and I can't imagine an 11 yr old girl telling a 16 yr old that he has to wear a condom and making it stick.

Haven't read the replies, but am responding to the video that was linked.

Some of the people seem to be saying that children should not be allowed

to have access to condoms at all, that it is the parents decision on whether to allow a child access to

a condom. I'm a bit baffled, really. Is there a legal age limit for the purchase of condoms?

Sex is just such a taboo subject in this country, especially when it comes to educating children. I can't

help wondering if it's the tabooness that makes it so appealing to children of younger ages. When I was in

second grade, there was a girl who said she was engaged to be married, another girl said she had a key to Michael Jackson's hotel room and she had 'done it' with him.

I guess I wonder what makes sex seem so 'cool' to young kids. Is it because we hide so much from them?

Is it because we treat children like projects/pets/property/prisoners and don't respect them as whole persons?

Is it because they just feel a need for power, adults have power, and they feel that if they do things that adults do then they will gain some form of power? That certainly gives them the power to shock adults, it certainly gets attention from adults and from peers.

Lots of questions to ask here.

I have a problem with it being elementary school children. My kids knew nothing of sex in elementary school. I just don't understand where the childhood innocent years are going. Yes, I realize these things happen. Yes, I realize that television shows these things and sparks interest in some children. Yes, I realize that there are children who would need to have this conversation with a responsible adult.

However, it is not my child. I should be able to say, "NO, this is my responsibility." I do not want my child's perception of sex and it's consequences to come from a school nurse that won't give my child a tylenol when she has a migraine headache caused by a double sinus infection. We had to fill out multiple forms for my kid's meds while in public school. Yet, they can just hand them a condom and give them the "talk".

The nurse at our public school basically threw out our allergy action plan written by our pediatrician and told me that she preferred to make the allergy action plan with the child. My children were in kindergarten and 2nd grade with deadly allergies and epi-pen's on file...yet, the nurse wanted the action plan wrote by them not the Dr.!

I can just imagine the sex talk that nurse can give.

And can I just say how utterly sick and tired I am of hearing, "Well, you can't watch them every minute..." :glare: I heard this at the park the other day, when I was out w/Tazzie and Princess. I chuckled, and when asked why, I said, "I homeschool. I *do* watch them every minute, or my dh does." I mean, come on, we were talking about a 3 and 5 yo, not teens! It seems the "We can't watch them..." is an abdication of parental responsibility in some cases, a shrugging of the shoulders and 'whatever happens, happens' attitude.

It is not realistic to say that all parents CAN watch their children EVERY minute. Are you watching your children while you sleep? Or do you take turns with your husband staying up and 'watching' them at night? No one actually watches their children EVERY minute. ;)

And to imply that a person is abdicating responsibility by admitting they actually can NOT control everything that happens in their life is a bit offensive. My husband deploys for 6 months at a time, I don't live near family, friends are busy with their own kids or work and I HAVE to use the restroom and I require privacy to do so. I NEED to take a bath or shower, and I require privacy to do so. It is unreasonable to expect a child to be under CONSTANT supervision during their entire childhood.

Elementary school? I could understand the higher grades, but elementary school, really? Is this what the world has come to? I am obviously really out of touch with what's going on in the world as far as school and children go.

Yes, children in elementary school engage in sexual activity.

So far, just from going to the park with kids a year older than herself, Diva has been exposed to a drinking party, then listened to a brother encouraging another to perform or*l s*x on the girl with them at the drinking party. :glare: This is the same girl I heard under my bedroom window, bragging about making her 'boyfriend' let her give him a 'b**w j*b'. :glare:

I know for a fact that this girl's parents are completely ignorant of what goes on with their dd, deliberately so. They accuse others of lying, etc when you try and tell them she's wading into dangerous territory. They buy her all the latest gadgets, take her to completely inappropriate movies (I know this as Diva was invited), send her to boot camp x 2, and put her in an all girls school. Yet, they don't spend any real time with her, and wonder why she's having problems.

I agree with pp that stated this is a reason to continue hsing.

;) I thought you said you DO watch your children every minute. :D

I would also add giving abortions to children without the parent's knowledge or consent. An abortion is a medical procedure. People die from medical procedures every day. Simple procedures can have unexpected complications. They won't let kids go on a field trip without a parental permission form, but getting an abortion is okay?:confused:

Sue

Haven't read the replies, but am responding to the video that was linked.

Some of the people seem to be saying that children should not be allowed

to have access to condoms at all, that it is the parents decision on whether to allow a child access to

a condom. I'm a bit baffled, really. Is there a legal age limit for the purchase of condoms?

Sex is just such a taboo subject in this country, especially when it comes to educating children. I can't

help wondering if it's the tabooness that makes it so appealing to children of younger ages. When I was in

second grade, there was a girl who said she was engaged to be married, another girl said she had a key to Michael Jackson's hotel room and she had 'done it' with him.

I guess I wonder what makes sex seem so 'cool' to young kids. Is it because we hide so much from them?

Is it because we treat children like projects/pets/property/prisoners and don't respect them as whole persons?

Is it because they just feel a need for power, adults have power, and they feel that if they do things that adults do then they will gain some form of power? That certainly gives them the power to shock adults, it certainly gets attention from adults and from peers.

Lots of questions to ask here.

I believe you have to be 18 in the US to purchase condoms.

Another thread, a while ago, raised the question, "Isn't this contributing to the delinquency of a minor?" That was in regards to a particular school taking students without their parents permission to get abortions. I think the question could be applied here as well. South Carolina has the lowest age of consent, 14. Are there any 14 year olds in an elementary school? Should an entire school of minors be given access to things that they are prohibited from actually using? The age of consent in Mass is 16. I dare say it's safe to assume that none of the elementary school students have reached that age. Wouldn't that mean that this is contributing to the deliquency of those minors?

I believe you have to be 18 in the US to purchase condoms.

Another thread, a while ago, raised the question, "Isn't this contributing to the delinquency of a minor?" That was in regards to a particular school taking students without their parents permission to get abortions. I think the question could be applied here as well. South Carolina has the lowest age of consent, 14. Are there any 14 year olds in an elementary school? Should an entire school of minors be given access to things that they are prohibited from actually using? The age of consent in Mass is 16. I dare say it's safe to assume that none of the elementary school students have reached that age. Wouldn't that mean that this is contributing to the deliquency of those minors?

Interesting, I couldn't find anything that says you have to be 18 to buy condoms. I did find this site though, http://www.sexetc.org/state/FL/#condom

I've clicked on a few states, and so far they all say:

Yes, you can buy condoms, and you do not have to be a certain age to buy them. Teens of any age can buy condoms from a drugstore, pharmacy, grocery store, or even online. They are relatively inexpensive. A pack of twelve condoms costs about $12.

There was a 16 year old in my elementary school class, he drove himself to school. :) Maybe some of the younger students would like to 'practice' using a condom. I find the whole consent laws to be a bit useless really, like the laws in some states against sodomy. Once you catch someone in the act, it's a bit late. What happens to 13 year olds caught having sex? Are they sent to juvenile hall?

I don't know about the contributing to the delinquency part. Having condoms isn't illegal, having an abortion isn't illegal (at least not in all states), and taking BC pills is not illegal and is often suggested for reasons other than preventing conception/birth. It's all very interesting to ponder. It's illegal to sell cigarettes or alcohol to minors, I wonder about vibrators and other such things. If one can't consent to sex with a partner, can one legally use 'tools' for masturbation? :confused: Maybe some folks like to use condoms with such 'tools'. And exactly what acts are prohibited? Intercourse? Oral sex? Petting? ...?

It is so sad to see the innocence of children being further eroded. That the children think it's gross while the adults rationalize it, telling. And even more puzzling why the parents of those elementary children are not confronting the fact that the school is taking away even more of their parental rights. Being a parent (and I'm talking about our rights) has become such a contradiction in our country. We are financially responsible for the choices our children make until they are 18....but we are piece by piece losing the right to raise them in a responsible manner. School boards are elected....those parents should make their voices be heard. Schools will use this like a court case; if it stands there, others will follow.

Frogs in the pot of water, stove on mediumhigh heat.

I saw this yesterday, and I felt ill. The superintendent was so snotty in the news interview, and she seemed to take pride in the fact that the parents cannot be involved in this. Grrr...

What happened to children being children???????

When I taught public school, I had 6th graders who were pregnant, one for the second time. I was under the impression from the video that a student would have to know enough about sex and condoms to come ask for them. It was more of matter of them being available, not promoted. I know there is no age restriction in Texas for buying condoms, but maybe other states are different.

Interesting, I couldn't find anything that says you have to be 18 to buy condoms. I did find this site though, http://www.sexetc.org/state/FL/#condom

There was a 16 year old in my elementary school class, he drove himself to school. :) Maybe some of the younger students would like to 'practice' using a condom. I find the whole consent laws to be a bit useless really, like the laws in some states against sodomy. Once you catch someone in the act, it's a bit late. What happens to 13 year olds caught having sex? Are they sent to juvenile hall?

I don't know about the contributing to the delinquency part. Having condoms isn't illegal, having an abortion isn't illegal (at least not in all states), and taking BC pills is not illegal and is often suggested for reasons other than preventing conception/birth. It's all very interesting to ponder. It's illegal to sell cigarettes or alcohol to minors, I wonder about vibrators and other such things. If one can't consent to sex with a partner, can one legally use 'tools' for masturbation? :confused: Maybe some folks like to use condoms with such 'tools'. And exactly what acts are prohibited? Intercourse? Oral sex? Petting? ...?

You're right... I guess I should've checked, I know we couldn't buy them under 18, but apparently that's not the case anymore.

I don't think minors are allowed in stores that specialize in sex toys and porn or near them in stores that sell them. You can't purchase an R rated movie without ID (in theory) and you can't step foot in the 'porn room' at a movie rental place without an ID either. My guess is, if you can't go in the store, then you can't purchase what they sell either.

As far as what isn't allowed, another person breaking the clothes barrier or "penetrating" (that can even mean putting their hand on the inner thigh) is not allowed. Now, all the consent laws I looked up on the fly had said that the odds were two children at the same age would not face charges, HOWEVER, I do know of cases where one child was pressured into that sort of situation by another (in this case the agressor was a girl) and the girl was sent to "special school" as well as having her parents under investigation for a very very very long time.

If you gave a d***o to a first grader, I'm pretty sure it would cross the line. There is probably some great legal term (complete with fire works and awe inspiring music), but I don't know it. Contributing (I imagine) would be the lesser charge.

The more I think on this, the more I wonder.... Kids know (especially once they start getting interested in dating and things) that it is illegal for people of a certain age to whatever whatever. They know it's illegal for them to whatever whatever. When an authority figure, like the school administrator, gives them access to things (and makes it clear they do not care what the parents' wishes are) that are used for illegal activity, doesn't that show a gross amount of disrespect for the law itself?

I'm trying to take this away from sex, so it is going to get rediculous, but bare with me (:lol:).... If a school decided to hand out slim jims, just in case kids get locked out, and they made sure the kids knew how to use them, maybe they even discussed the laws that could be broken by using that set; then doesn't it seem like they're giving them what they need to break the law? It seems like, especially by making it so clear that the parents can pi** and moan all they want and it won't make a bit of difference, that they aren't just usurping the authority of the parents, but also negating the authority of the law of the land.

It doesn't matter that those fools at the state court house said you CANNOT, we know what you're thinking. It's all good, just slide on down to my office and I can hook you up. I'll even keep it on the d/l for ya ;) Parents? Shah, I'm not worried about your parents, I can handle your parents. You just go out now and have a good time.

Edited by lionfamily1999
Err, my language got a little more graphic than I meant for it to... SORRY!

Yes, you have to have parent consent to get BC pills even at the health dept. unless you are of legal age of consent. Yes, sex toy stores require you to be of a certain age to come in and purchase items.

It is very nice to be liberal and argue a point, but a 6 yr old boy couldn't even use a condom. They don't meet the requirements for even the smallest size. I mean come on here folks! They don't have mini-me condoms for sale. There isn't a pharmacy in the world that world let a 6,8, or 10 yr old boy or girl walk up and buy condoms. I have a 7 yr old son. It isn't physically possible.

Oh and the 16 yr old boy in elementary school sounds hokey to me. They have a legal age limit that you can be in an educational setting with children younger than you are even if you have special needs. My friends ds has special needs and can only attend the elementary school that goes to 5th grade and he will have to move to the middle school when he is 12.

Laws are very different than when we were kids. Children that repeatedly fail and are not special needs are sent to reform schools or what they used to call ISP schools. You even have to leave high school if you don't graduate by 21. So I can't imagine a 5th grader that is 16. Maybe an 8th grader. Elementary school is either k-3rd or k-5th. At the most kids will be 12.

Schools are for educating children in academics not sexademics. There is no sexual prowess scholarships for college. Maybe if schools focused less on things that are not their responsibility and more on actually educating children then our school system would not be an abysmal failure.

There are two K-8 schools in my district, but they're not considered elementary schools, exactly. One is more a middle school that has a couple of sections of each elementary grade due to zoning, and the other is a magnet school, that has an elementary and middle school division that happen to be in the same building.

And even 8th graders would be below the legal age of consent in my state.

Yes, you have to have parent consent to get BC pills even at the health dept. unless you are of legal age of consent. Yes, sex toy stores require you to be of a certain age to come in and purchase items.

It is very nice to be liberal and argue a point, but a 6 yr old boy couldn't even use a condom. They don't meet the requirements for even the smallest size. I mean come on here folks! They don't have mini-me condoms for sale. There isn't a pharmacy in the world that world let a 6,8, or 10 yr old boy or girl walk up and buy condoms. I have a 7 yr old son. It isn't physically possible.

Oh and the 16 yr old boy in elementary school sounds hokey to me. They have a legal age limit that you can be in an educational setting with children younger than you are even if you have special needs. My friends ds has special needs and can only attend the elementary school that goes to 5th grade and he will have to move to the middle school when he is 12.

Laws are very different than when we were kids. Children that repeatedly fail and are not special needs are sent to reform schools or what they used to call ISP schools. You even have to leave high school if you don't graduate by 21. So I can't imagine a 5th grader that is 16. Maybe an 8th grader. Elementary school is either k-3rd or k-5th. At the most kids will be 12.

Schools are for educating children in academics not sexademics. There is no sexual prowess scholarships for college. Maybe if schools focused less on things that are not their responsibility and more on actually educating children then our school system would not be an abysmal failure.

I agree...perhaps if the schools concentrated on making learning fun and actually teaching academics then there would be no need for kids to get preoccupied with "other things".

I have an 8yo...nope wouldn't fit.

You're right... I guess I should've checked, I know we couldn't buy them under 18, but apparently that's not the case anymore.

I don't think minors are allowed in stores that specialize in sex toys and porn or near them in stores that sell them. You can't purchase an R rated movie without ID (in theory) and you can't step foot in the 'porn room' at a movie rental place without an ID either. My guess is, if you can't go in the store, then you can't purchase what they sell either.

As far as what isn't allowed, another person breaking the clothes barrier or "penetrating" (that can even mean putting their hand on the inner thigh) is not allowed. Now, all the consent laws I looked up on the fly had said that the odds were two children at the same age would not face charges, HOWEVER, I do know of cases where one child was pressured into that sort of situation by another (in this case the agressor was a girl) and the girl was sent to "special school" as well as having her parents under investigation for a very very very long time.

If you gave a d***o to a first grader, I'm pretty sure it would cross the line. There is probably some great legal term (complete with fire works and awe inspiring music), but I don't know it. Contributing (I imagine) would be the lesser charge.

The more I think on this, the more I wonder.... Kids know (especially once they start getting interested in dating and things) that it is illegal for people of a certain age to whatever whatever. They know it's illegal for them to whatever whatever. When an authority figure, like the school administrator, gives them access to things (and makes it clear they do not care what the parents' wishes are) that are used for illegal activity, doesn't that show a gross amount of disrespect for the law itself?

I'm trying to take this away from sex, so it is going to get rediculous, but bare with me (:lol:).... If a school decided to hand out slim jims, just in case kids get locked out, and they made sure the kids knew how to use them, maybe they even discussed the laws that could be broken by using that set; then doesn't it seem like they're giving them what they need to break the law? It seems like, especially by making it so clear that the parents can pi** and moan all they want and it won't make a bit of difference, that they aren't just usurping the authority of the parents, but also negating the authority of the law of the land.

It doesn't matter that those fools at the state court house said you CANNOT, we know what you're thinking. It's all good, just slide on down to my office and I can hook you up. I'll even keep it on the d/l for ya ;) Parents? Shah, I'm not worried about your parents, I can handle your parents. You just go out now and have a good time.

*loud crowd cheering* *standing ovation* BRAVO!

If I'm outraged at anyone, it's with the media, marketing, advertisers, children's clothes designers that have been successfully, imo, encouraging our children to grow up and be mini sex objects all for the sake of profit. Secondly, I'm outraged at parents who don't take the initiative and talk to their children about these issues and provide guidance and direction.

As far as the action taken by the schools, it just makes me sad that it's come to this. I don't find it a liberal agenda or non-Christian agenda, but more just trying to find a way to stem this very serious problem we have. Seems like putting a band aid on a gangrenous wound - it's not going to solve the problem. I'm not opposed to the band aid, but I would like to seem something that is attempting to attack the root cause.