Menu

Should Confederate soldiers be honored

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you think every Confederate citizen was scum of the earth, unworthy of any respect? if so, then no they shouldn't.

If not, then yes they should. We are all Americans. These Confederate soldiers were not all fighting for the continuance of slavery. They were fighting for their homes and their families and what they believed to be right about how much control the federal government had over those things. yes, the winners write the history books. Yes, the owning of other people was shameful. But not every Confederate citizen owned slaves. People could live in the South and not own slaves. (It's almost ridiculous that Texas even seceded. We got NOTHING out of it because slaves were not a big part of our economy. But somehow we felt we had something in common with the South anyway.).

Absolutely. They fought and died for their beliefs, their families, and to preserve the way of life that was all they knew.

My dh's ggg...grandfather is the only Confederate soldier buried in the cemetaries in our county. He was from a poor, non-slave holding family living in what is now WV and although he wasn't all that political, he went because his mother begged him to go to keep watch over his younger brother, who did have strong political leanings. He went out of duty to his family. Should he not be honored?

If you are still ambivalent, read up on some of the dissenting histories, which can be a real eye-opener. The American Civil War was not as cut-and-dried as the sanctioned history books would have us believe.

Sure. Was slavery despicable? Of course. Were they all fighting to own slaves? Absolutely not. My great-grandfather (do the math on that one - I'm not old) was a civil war soldier. He fought for his farm, for his family, because he was "supposed" to as a man living in the south. My great-grandmother was still receiving pension checks in 1952 for his service in the Confederate Army. I have no idea who was funding them, but they look governmental (I have a copy of one in a book).

If you abandon the textbooks and read first-hand accounts of what people went through in the south with union soldiers occupying their homes and the things that accompany such behavior, you would know why even those who had no interest in slavery felt it necessary to fight for their homes, property, and rights. The great thing about this country is you can celebrate and memorialize whomever you want...the daughters of the confederacy can hang their iron crosses if they want and you can refuse to honor them if you don't want to...That's also what I like about this board. We can discuss things like this!

I don't consider it a joke.

I ask because I had read about some historians, who study this sort of thing, stating that the states' seccession was an act of treason and therefore Confederate soldiers should not be honored. I am no historian and did not know that this was even being debated.

Edited by nevergiveup
spelling

I ask because I had read about some historians, who study this sort of thing, stating that the states' succession was an act of treason and therefore Confederate soldiers should not be honored. I am no historian and did not know that this was even being debated.

Interesting. And I think you're going to get some interesting responses to that here. I'm not saying a word... ;)

No. Confederate soldiers should not be honored for their role in attempting to destroy the American Union and fighting (and killing fellow Americans) to perpetuate human slavery. There is nothing honorable here to celebrate.

As people, I'm sure there were many fine boys and men among the Confederate soldiers who got caught up in a very bad cause. Should they be remembered? Sure. But not "honored" for their actions. No.

Bill

I don't consider it a joke.

I ask because I had read about some historians, who study this sort of thing, stating that the states' seccession was an act of treason and therefore Confederate soldiers should not be honored. I am no historian and did not know that this was even being debated.

Any historian of that stripe is just as much an ignoramus as a historian who takes the opposite tack and romantically over-glorifies the South.

A veteran is a veteran and deserves respectful treatment and public memory. Union, Confederate, WW-I, WW-II, Spanish-American War, Korean War, Vietnam War, American Revolution, and the current wars. The soldier died for our country. (Yes, in the case of this Confederate soldier, he died for only a piece of our country -- but it still was our country !)

It is not as if this were some KKK person receiving a lavish, spectacle of a burial or memorial service paid for with public monies ! That would be a ghastly prospect !

The United Daughters of the Confederate are having an Iron Cross ceremony for a Confederate soldier buried near here.

Do you think Confederate soldiers should be honored?

Wouldn't the United Daughters of the Confederate all have to be related to Confederate soldiers to be members? If so, are they really honoring the actions and ideals of the Confederates, or are they honoring deceased family members who died trying to protect their homes and families?

As far as someone saying all soldiers should be honored, does this only apply to US soldiers? What about Nazi soldiers or Vietnamese soldiers we fought?

I think the dead should be given proper respect in general, so I see no problem with it.

As far as someone saying all soldiers should be honored, does this only apply to US soldiers? What about Nazi soldiers or Vietnamese soldiers we fought?

In the United States, it would not be proper to honor a soldier who fell in the line of duty for a foreign country's armed forces, especially for one who was warring against the United States. Public honor for them belongs to the country for which he or she died.

Private, within-the-family memorials for such individuals are exactly that -- private.

If you abandon the textbooks and read first-hand accounts of what people went through in the south with union soldiers occupying their homes and the things that accompany such behavior, you would know why even those who had no interest in slavery felt it necessary to fight for their homes, property, and rights. The great thing about this country is you can celebrate and memorialize whomever you want...the daughters of the confederacy can hang their iron crosses if they want and you can refuse to honor them if you don't want to...That's also what I like about this board. We can discuss things like this!

Yes. To say they were fighting for slavery is, of course, vastly oversimplifying the issue and obscuring the truth. Many good, good men fought for the Confederate cause because they felt passionately about states' rights, and to defend their homes and families.

They should, indeed, be honored as you might honor any soldier in your heritage or who fought for your country. I have ancestors who fought for the Confederacy, and who fought for the Union - I honor them both. They were both fighting for what they thought was right.

In the United States, it would not be proper to honor a soldier who fell in the line of duty for a foreign country's armed forces, especially for one who was warring against the United States. Public honor for them belongs to the country for which he or she died.

Private, within-the-family memorials for such individuals are exactly that -- private.

Exactly!

The Confederate States of America declared themselves a "foreign" country and waged war on the United States of America, so it is not proper to honor the soldiers for their roles in this war. Yes?

Bill

:iagree:

Exactly!

The Confederate States of America declared themselves a "foreign" country and waged war on the United States of America, so it is not proper to honor the soldiers for their roles in this war. Yes?

Bill

I believe that President Lincoln saw it otherwise.

Yes.

Do I have to "agree" or "believe" in the cause for which an American soldier died in order to honor his courage, his conviction, and his sacrifice? No.

Though there are plenty who would suggest that though.

They assume a soldier cannot be honored unless everyone shouts from the rooftops their 100% agreement with the conflict in which he fought.

Yes. To say they were fighting for slavery is, of course, vastly oversimplifying the issue and obscuring the truth. Many good, good men fought for the Confederate cause because they felt passionately about states' rights, and to defend their homes and families.

They should, indeed, be honored as you might honor any soldier in your heritage or who fought for your country. I have ancestors who fought for the Confederacy, and who fought for the Union - I honor them both. They were both fighting for what they thought was right.

With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in, to bind up the nation's wounds, to care for him who shall have borne the battle and for his widow and his orphan, to do all which may achieve and cherish a just and lasting peace among ourselves and with all nations.

From Abraham Lincoln's second inaugural address....

He seemed to not hold a grudge against the South....and seemed rather conflicted about the war...war, which was evil, to stamp out slavery...which was just as evil.

Please explain. No snark here whatsoever, I am nearly 100% an autodidact and have not studied the civil war extensively. Thanks.

Lincoln wanted to be very forgiving of the Confederates. There was a group in congress called the "Radical Republicans" who took a more punitive stance. Johnson, Lincoln's Vice President and successor, was actually a southerner and wanted to punish the southern aristocracy, but believed that the vast majority of the south had been exploited by the war.

Here's a link to Lincoln's 2nd inaugural address. Very interesting....

http://www.bartleby.com/124/pres32.html

Exactly!

Bill

But, it's not the US as a whole or the government honoring them. It's a group, I believe, made up of the decedents of the soldiers.

Of course. I cannot imagine why they would not.

The War of Northern Agression was not about slavery. It was about states' rights. Confederate heros did not die so they could keep their slaves. Goodness.

:iagree: They also put up with a whole bunch of evil from the North as they raped, burned & destroyed their way through the south. If we weren't going to honor the Confederate soldiers, then in that case we certainly shouldn't honor the Union soldiers either.

We support and honor veterans of the Revolutionary War. They also broke away from a Mother country in order to fight for what they believed were unjust and unfair demands by that country. Do you not think it would be different had Great Britain won the War for Independence and those same men that we honor would be considered traitors to the crown?

The Civil War was a different time period with a different sense of responsibility and duty. Duty was a double edged sword in those days. They were considered cowards if they did not defend their family, farms, and honor. Also, there were a lot of poor southerners that did not have slaves that fought in the Civil War. They fought because they were expected to and you were considered a coward if you didn't defend your family and honor.

The Civil War was a time period where boys went to war. I don't mean 18 year olds either. A 22 yr old could be a high ranking officer. An 8 year old could be a drummer boy. These were boys fighting as men.

We were a young country still finding our place in the big picture. I would have to say for the states to leave the union a mere 100 or so years after the United States broke from Great Britain does not seem so far fetched or heinous.

This is not a black and white question. No war is black and white. There are always shades of grey.

Edited by OpenMinded

We support and honor veterans of the Revolutionary War. They also broke away from a Mother country in order to fight for what they believed were unjust and unfair demands by that country. Do you not think it would be different had Great Britain won the War for Independence and those same men that we honor would be considered traitors to the crown?

The Civil War was a different time period with a different sense of responsibility and duty. Duty was a double edged sword in those days. They were considered cowards if they did not defend their family, farms, and honor. Also, there was a lot of poor southerners that did not have slaves that fought in the Civil War. They fought because they were expected to and you were considered a coward if you didn't defend your family and honor.

The Civil War was a time period where boys went to war. I don't mean 18 year olds either. A 22 yr old could be a high ranking officer. An 8 year old could be a drummer boy. These were boys fighting as men.

We were a young country still finding our place in the big picture. I would have to say for the states to leave the union a mere 100 or so years after the United States broke from Great Britain does not seem so far fetched or heinous.

This is not a black and white question. No war is black and white. There are always shades of grey.

:iagree::iagree:Well said.

The Civil War was a different time period with a different sense of responsibility and duty. Duty was a double edged sword in those days. They were considered cowards if they did not defend their family, farms, and honor. Also, there was a lot of poor southerners that did not have slaves that fought in the Civil War. They fought because they were expected to and you were considered a coward if you didn't defend your family and honor.

The United Daughters of the Confederate are having an Iron Cross ceremony for a Confederate soldier buried near here.

Do you think Confederate soldiers should be honored?

Haven't read through the thread yet. I am sure everyone knows this already but Confederate soldiers are not burried in national cemeteries.

This is disgraceful. Yes I understand one of the reasons the war was fought is civil rights, but that is not the only reason for the war. In school it was drilled into my head the war was only fought because of slavery. The war was also fought because of economics. Young soldiers came from other countries to fight for both sides. I am not saying it was a good thing to fight for slavery, I am saying those soldiers fought and lost their lives and after the war was over they should have recieved the same respect of bing burried in a national cemetry. So my answer is yes they deserve respect.

We support and honor veterans of the Revolutionary War. They also broke away from a Mother country in order to fight for what they believed were unjust and unfair demands by that country.

True, but Great Britain doesn't have a celebration honoring them.

I agree with private honoring for the great men that they were, but not nationally-recognized honoring. It sounds like this is a private organization doing the honoring, and they have every right to do that.

Haven't read through the thread yet. I am sure everyone knows this already but Confederate soldiers are not burried in national cemeteries. This is disgraceful. Yes I understand one of the reasons the war was fought is civil rights, but that is not the only reason for the war. In school it was drilled into my head the war was only fought because of slavery. The war was also fought because of economics. Young soldiers came from other countries to fight for both sides. I am not saying it was a good thing to fight for slavery, I am saying those soldiers fought and lost their lives and after the war was over they should have recieved the same respect of bing burried in a national cemetry. So my answer is yes they deserve respect.

Not buried in national cemeteries?? Hmmm. I have information that says otherwise http://www.arlingtoncemetery.org/visitor_information/confederate_memorial.html

Any historian of that stripe is just as much an ignoramus as a historian who takes the opposite tack and romantically over-glorifies the South.

A veteran is a veteran and deserves respectful treatment and public memory. Union, Confederate, WW-I, WW-II, Spanish-American War, Korean War, Vietnam War, American Revolution, and the current wars. The soldier died for our country. (Yes, in the case of this Confederate soldier, he died for only a piece of our country -- but it still was our country !)

It is not as if this were some KKK person receiving a lavish, spectacle of a burial or memorial service paid for with public monies ! That would be a ghastly prospect !

Please see the letter to President Obama on the HNN website dated May 18, 2009 signed by 45+ scholars imploring him not to put a wreath on the Arlington Confederate Monument. Certainly not all of them are ignorami.

Should German WWII soldiers be honored? Should Japanese WWII soldiers be honored? What about 11th century Crusaders, the North Vietnamese, the PLO, the Taliban? What is it these all have in common? Maybe they fought for what they believed in?

Who should we honor in the East African conflict of WWI? Should we honor the American soldiers who have fought but who have committed grave and terrible acts against their enemy? And do such acts exist in war?

No, I don't think it's so easy to figure out who to honor in war. Not so easy in my book.

When my children decide it's fun to play war and shoot pretend guns at each other, I figure it will be time for me to break out "Saving Private Ryan". War is a horrible f&*^ing thing we do to each other. There is no honor in war.

Edited by spradlin02

True, but Great Britain doesn't have a celebration honoring them.

I agree with private honoring for the great men that they were, but not nationally-recognized honoring. It sounds like this is a private organization doing the honoring, and they have every right to do that.

:iagree: Exactly what I was thinking. It comes down to who is doing the honoring.

Should German WWII soldiers be honored? Should Japanese WWII soldiers be honored? What about 11th century Crusaders, the North Vietnamese, the PLO, the Taliban? What is it these all have in common? Maybe they fought for what they believed in?

This was my thought, but I said I woudn't say a word... :leaving:

War is a horrible f&*^ing thing we do to each other.

You're so right.

Yes, and in fact, when I lived in Belgium, they took good care of the German soldier's graves even though they were repeatedly invaded by the Germans, not only in WW1 and WW2. I don't have any ancestors who fought on either Union or Confederate sides. The war was not only about slavery and Some union states had slavery too. I try to instill in my children the idea that we are all fallen people and all have our faults. THe foot soldiers on both sides were usually not fighting for a big cause. Many Union soldiers were draftees. Many Southern soldiers had no slaves and weren't fighting for slavery at all.

Of course. I cannot imagine why they would not.

The War of Northern Agression was not about slavery. It was about states' rights. Confederate heros did not die so they could keep their slaves. Goodness.

First of all, I find it humorous to be called the War of Northern Aggression when who started the war in the first place? As I recall it commenced by an attack of South Carolina militia on Fort Sumter. But I could be wrong.

Secondly, of course it was about slavery. It can be couched in any convenient way you want, but it was about the South's right to perpetuate the institution of slavery.

Yes, and in fact, when I lived in Belgium, they took good care of the German soldier's graves even though they were repeatedly invaded by the Germans, not only in WW1 and WW2. I don't have any ancestors who fought on either Union or Confederate sides. The war was not only about slavery and Some union states had slavery too. I try to instill in my children the idea that we are all fallen people and all have our faults. THe foot soldiers on both sides were usually not fighting for a big cause. Many Union soldiers were draftees. Many Southern soldiers had no slaves and weren't fighting for slavery at all.

Well said. Thanks for the rationality, I was getting a little worked up.