Menu

Do you think of Mrs. Mungo and all those cats often?

How often do you think of Mrs. Mungo and cats?  

1. 1. How often do you think of Mrs. Mungo and cats?

• Often, every time I see a misplaced apostrophe
    • Sometimes
    • Never
    • Obligatory other

What *I* want to know is how the cats who manage to survive to adulthood become immune to the misplaced apostrophe scourge. :bigear:

:lol:

I can't even write anymore. I am suffering from 'apostrophobia', the fear of killing harmless kittens due to my inability to properly place an apostrophe.

I need a Mike's :D

I emailed our homeschool group's coordinator to let her know that I was bringing my unneeded curriculum to a meeting for people to browse though and take what they needed.

Imagine my horror when she emailed this message to the entire email list:

"Those who are attending the MNO tonight...Julie wanted me to pass on this message...

I’d welcome the Mom's browsing through some stuff I’m trying to get rid of. They might want to bring a tote bag or grocery sack just in case they want anything I have to give away."

:eek::ohmy::angry: That is NOT the message I sent her! Now everyone I know will believe that I am an uneducated, kitten-killing ignoramus! :001_huh:

We refer to the dead kittens in our home all the time....

College-age dd, "How was my research paper?"

Mom- "Fine except for the dead kitten on pg. 3."

We also have been enjoying the "alot". Thanks you whoever posted the link to that blog!

:lol:

I can't even write anymore. I am suffering from 'apostrophobia', the fear of killing harmless kittens due to my inability to properly place an apostrophe.

I need a Mike's :D

:iagree:This definition needs to be added to the urban dictionary.

Just wondering, I know I do every time I see a misplaced apostrophe! (There are a lot of them out there running around where they shouldn't be.)

Well, I looked it up and technically pluralizing with an apostrophe in this way 10's, is correct (though it wasn't in the past), and those are the apostrophes that I assumed she was referring to.

:iagree:This definition needs to be added to the urban dictionary.
:iagree: :001_smile:

No. When I think of Mrs. Mungo, I think of Mike's and Patron, but not necessarily together. But that is a personal problem.:D

Grammar and drinking. Those *are* the things one should think of, if one thinks of me. :lol:

What *I* want to know is how the cats who manage to survive to adulthood become immune to the misplaced apostrophe scourge. :bigear:

Well, obviously, if it were not for the apostrophe misuse, our planet would be overtaken with fluffy kittens.

I emailed our homeschool group's coordinator to let her know that I was bringing my unneeded curriculum to a meeting for people to browse though and take what they needed.

"Those who are attending the MNO tonight...Julie wanted me to pass on this message...

I’d welcome the Mom's browsing through some stuff I’m trying to get rid of. They might want to bring a tote bag or grocery sack just in case they want anything I have to give away."

:eek::ohmy::angry: That is NOT the message I sent her! Now everyone I know will believe that I am an uneducated, kitten-killing ignoramus! :001_huh:

:lol: Not only that but did you see the one comment on the use of the word sack in the grocery cart thread?

Well, I looked it up and technically pluralizing with an apostrophe in this way 10's, is correct (though it wasn't in the past), and those are the apostrophes that I assumed she was referring to.

I was actually referring to the *vast* number of people who use an apostrophe *every time* they make something plural. As in "banana's 95 cents/lb," (don't get me started on when it says "banana's .95 cents/lb").

As to the using an apostrophe to pluralize numbers (or acronyms), it depends upon what style book you use. However, neither the Associate Press style book nor the Chicago style book uses an apostrophe with dates and such. I think it's better *without* an apostrophe, otherwise you have people typing things like "I love the '80's" and that looks dumb. The acronym issue is more contentious but the pendulum is swinging toward not using an apostrophe (the NY Times recently changed their stance on this). eta: Yes, I do keep up with these things. I am *that* big of a nerd.

Reference

Reference 2 (much dialogue about it in the comments)

Edited by Mrs Mungo

Other-only if someone brings it up.

I don't worry about other people's grammar as long as I can understand what they mean. I am not a grammar whiz, and most of it makes no sense to me anyways. I probably couldn't pass a middle school grammar test. I don't assume other people are well versed in grammar either.

When people point out or laugh at other people's grammar flaws, it makes me not want to post at all.

Well, obviously, if it were not for the apostrophe misuse, our planet would be overtaken with fluffy kittens.

That doesn't sound like a good thing to me. Sooo . . . are you advocating apostrophe misuse as a means of controlling the cat population??? Poor grammar is a good thing?

And here I thought you were trying to SAVE the lives of innocent kittens!

Or perhaps the standardization of grammar is really an evil plot on the part of cats to take over the world! :eek:

Perhaps Bob Barker's approach is best. That way we can stem the flow of megalomaniac cats AND still be educated apostrophe users.

:tongue_smilie:

:eek::ohmy::angry: That is NOT the message I sent her!

Oh, I would just die!

Mom- "Fine except for the dead kitten on pg. 3."

Love that!

What do we do with a name that ends in s? So if the last name is "Booths" and we want to say we went to their house... is it "the Booths's" house?

I am sure this has been covered here somewhere, but someone brought it up in this thread, and I figure this is as good time and place as any to ask!

I do!! Just thinking of all the little kittens that have been saved through Mrs. Mungo's campaign to end their needless slaughter makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside...:001_smile:

Actually, every time an apostrophe is used correctly, a kitten is born.

What do we do with a name that ends in s? So if the last name is "Booths" and we want to say we went to their house... is it "the Booths's" house?

I am sure this has been covered here somewhere, but someone brought it up in this thread, and I figure this is as good time and place as any to ask!

Um, for real? :D

We also have been enjoying the "alot". Thanks you whoever posted the link to that blog!

I think I missed that. What's the link?

54.gif

Hey, I always want to put an apostrophe on the possessive its. It's possessive, so it should have one.

Only if you also want to start writing his and hers with apostrophes. He wants to ride hi's bicycle.

Mrs. Mungo, how does one pronounce a possessive name that ends in an S? Charles's for example.. is it correct to say "Charls" or "Charlses"?

The basic rule of thumb is to pronounce the s when the noun is singular and not to pronounce the s for a plural noun.

singular: the dress's hem

You don't write it like that, you just say it like that, I know it's confusing. Well, some style guides would have you write it like that. That's the trouble with English, even grammarians don't always agree.

plural: my classmates' parents