Menu

ISO hardcore, totally biased toward whole food, fun for kids nutrition program?

We're the whole foods, organic, healthy eathing types. I am the type while my people merely benefit from me being the type. They eat well but only b/c I cook that way -- they're lacking the buy-in I want them to have. I want to address this with my daughter.

We're vegetarians and I get complete buy-in here. She loves animals alive, wouldn't dream of eating them, and is fully intellectually and emotionally on board. That's what I want for the wholesomeness factor.

As it is now, given half a chance (read: anytime she's at a friend's or at girls' club, et c.) she is all about the junky snack. She loves the junk, wants the junk, is sure I'd be a better mom if I'd provide the junk. You can see where we're lacking the buy-in here.

I'd like her to get to a point at which she really believes and WANTS to choose wholesome over junk AND likes it!

If I can appeal to her idealism especially and her intellectual nature, maybe her sense of justice can drag along her tastebuds.

Something that is like a published program or a site/blog which lists good resources would be helpful.

Any good ideas out there?

Just thinking out loud here. It sounds like you are doing a whole foods diet for the most part. I sometimes wonder if kids who mostly eat that way get a hankering for junk because they need more fat in their diet. Junky food in general has a great mouth feel because it's full of fat (and sugar).

Do you mainly eat low-fat?

I'm just curious. I love to talk about food (well, I love to eat it more). :D

For the record I never buy junk food except for a small amount of chocolate.

Just thinking out loud here. It sounds like you are doing a whole foods diet for the most part. I sometimes wonder if kids who mostly eat that way get a hankering for junk because they need more fat in their diet. Junky food in general has a great mouth feel because it's full of fat (and sugar).

Do you mainly eat low-fat?

I'm just curious. I love to talk about food (well, I love to eat it more). :D

For the record I never buy junk food except for a small amount of chocolate.

No "low-fat" here. We're pretty much the just regular old food kind of people. For one, that's mostly a processed food kind of label. If we're going to have cookies, we just have cookies not low-fat cookies. In terms of cooking, though, I guess it's low fat. I mean, now I'm making minestrone and we'll have it with a wee wedge of delicious cheese that I've forgotten the name of, crackers (boughten) and those incredible bright green olives from WF. I guess the soup and crackers are low in fat and while I dont' think olives, even those yummy ones, are low in fat, they're not really high in fat. The cheese is a hard cheese w/ a rind and I"m sure it is in no way low-fat. That's kind of par for the way we eat.

Is that what you mean?

Now about that mouth feel thing . . . my girl is a walking oral fixation. Maybe she likes the feel . . . I need to consider this.

I think a hershey's bar is, indeed, icky bad junk but to be honest, a nice square of Green and Blacks 70% is ***Health Food*** in my book!:tongue_smilie:

I don't buy much in the way of junk but we do like a treat on the weekends. We often have an ice cream or something.

Edited by MomOfOneFunOne

There is a Young Reader's version of Pollan's The Omnivore's Dilemna. There's also a young reader's version of Fast Food Nation, called Chew On This!

I am planning to have my dd read Animal, Vegetable, Miracle sometime soon. :)

Thanks, Patchfire! I'll check them out.

Patch Fire . . . that sounds like a fairy name!

Is that what you mean?

Now about that mouth feel thing . . . my girl is a walking oral fixation. Maybe she likes the feel . . . I need to consider this.

I think a hershey's bar is, indeed, icky bad junk but to be honest, a nice square of Green and Blacks 70% is ***Health Food*** in my book!

Oh, Mommy, 85% Lindt chocolate is health food for us too. I don't know. I like to play mental mind games about why people do the things they do. I think kids should not be on a low fat regimen. If you are eating 95% whole foods I would not limit the fat. Fat is a necessary component of the diet, and in my mind moreso for kids.

I think where fat becomes a problem is when you are eating mainly industrial oils combined with highly refined carbohydrates.

Do you eat dairy?

Maybe you could add a pat of butter to her serving of soup.

Of course these are my own opinions.

Edited by Snickerdoodle
spelling

I second both Animal, Vegetable, Mineral and the young reader's version of Omnivore's Dilemma. We listened to the first in the car last summer (CD book), and my daughters liked it then, and they are now reading the Pollan book. I also recommend his In Defense of Food as another way to get your dd on board. It's made a big impression on my dds (we listened to it on CD too.) The Food Rules book is fun, but is basically a compendium of Pollan's advice from Omnivore and In Defense of Food.

We did a valuable activity this spring with our regular history group -- one of the moms developed a unit study around Pollen's student edition of the Ominvore's Dilemma. She spec'd corresponding science encyclopedia chapters, various experiments, and fun field trips (including a seed barn, an organic dairy in Petaluma, and several visits to the Cal Academy of Sciences). Though there was a range of ages in the group, I think even my third grader now groks the importance of buying local, bulk, whole, and organic food whenever possible.

Another great resource is the Center for Ecoliteracy -- I love the books Smart by Nature and Big Ideas -- both have excellent curriculum suggestions. Their site is geared toward schools, but I've used a number of their lesson suggestions and printed materials.

We live in a small apartment smack in the middle of the city, so our attempts at "Outdoor Hour" tied into Comstock were underwhelming. I hope to do a rooftop garden this summer so we'll soon have more success in the actual food production side of things (!)

I'll keep an eye on responses -- ecoliteracy is big around here, it was my career pre-homeschooling and I am always looking for more suggestions.

Oh, Mommy, 85% Lindt chocolate is health food for us too. I don't know. I like to play mental mind games about why people do the things they do. I think kids should not be on a low fat regimen. If you are eating 95% whole foods I would not limit the fat. Fat is a necessary component of the diet, and in my mind moreso for kids.

I think where fat becomes a problem is when you are eating mainly industrial oils combined with highly refined carbohydrates.

Do you eat dairy?

Maybe you could add a pat of butter to her serving of soup.

Of course these are my own opinions.

It's not really fats (the wholesome ones) that I'm talking about, though. It's cheetos, so-called fruit snacks, et c. These are things I consider clever science experiments pretending to be food. I'd like my girl to see them for what they are and turn up her nose.

Now, a homemade cake or cookies from time to time or ice cream (homemade or with pronounceable ingredients) are okay by me. It's that other stuff . . .

Another great resource is the Center for Ecoliteracy -- I love the books Smart by Nature and Big Ideas -- both have excellent curriculum suggestions. Their site is geared toward schools, but I've used a number of their lesson suggestions and printed materials.

We live in a small apartment smack in the middle of the city, so our attempts at "Outdoor Hour" tied into Comstock were underwhelming. I hope to do a rooftop garden this summer so we'll soon have more success in the actual food production side of things (!)

He often has guest appearances locally--he teaches at Berkeley.

You might want to try some herbs in the apartment, first. Mint, chives, and rosemary are virtually indestructible, and great to have fresh. I have never been able to grow basil inside, although reportedly it should be possible. I have been able to grow Sweet 100 tomatoes in a very deep pot with a trellis indoors. I don't want to think about just how those tomatoes got pollinated, though. I'm in denial about that. la la la I can't hear you!

I have also heard that one can grow a small dwarf citrus inside. I have never tried that, though.

I know some homeschoolers in SF who own a garden/landscape installation business. They might be able to give you some pointers about finding a plot of land to use locally. I live in the South Bay, so I don't have any direct connections in SF.

It's not really fats (the wholesome ones) that I'm talking about, though.

I just mean that if you are doing a low (wholesome) fat diet, then perhaps it's triggering a hankering for fatty foods. It's just a thought.

My husband took the boys out on Mother's day and he asked them if they wanted to stop and get fries. They both declined and he was a bit shocked (he works a lot so he doesn't spend tons of time with them). My hubby and I just were talking about how perhaps since I am feeding them a pretty high (healthy) fat diet that might have something to do with it. Like I said, I'm just playing mind games here.

I am loving the question in the OP as I wondered the same thing. I hate that food pyramids are full of refined carbs!

I just mean that if you are doing a low (wholesome) fat diet, then perhaps it's triggering a hankering for fatty foods. It's just a thought.
:iagree:Many people have found cravings decrease dramatically when they add a good EFA supplement, or even nut butters into their diet. On the other hand, some don't.

Throwing out another idea . . .

Perhaps your daughter is craving salt and/or protein?

I became a vegetarian when I was twelve and I often craved McDonald's fries (I wouldn't eat them because I heard they were fried in beef fat, not sure if they really were at the time). I eventually realized that I was really just craving SALT! A lot of vegetarian/healthy diets limit salt. I was very active and yogurt, fruit, and veggies don't really have any salt.

Same thing with protein . . . when you are very active you need protein! When I started eating a couple of handfuls of salted nuts/seeds each day I felt so much better!

Perhaps add in some salted whole grain crackers and/or nuts. Both sort of seem like "junk" food (and will be accepted among peers as such, if that is an issue). The extra salt, protein, and fat were exactly what I needed!

Good luck! It is hard to keep your children on the road to good health when so many other children are tempting them with shiny, sweet, sprinkle coated snacks :glare:

I used Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution as such a wake-up call / curriculum for my family. We watched the show, discussed it at length, and tried the recipes he prepared. Actually my ds cooked one of the meals himself. It was very cool. Now everything we ingest is followed with the question "is this good for you, mom?"

Now, a homemade cake or cookies from time to time or ice cream (homemade or with pronounceable ingredients) are okay by me. It's that other stuff . . .

My first thought is to add more homemade treats. You say it's only "time to time" that she gets these. Possibly it's not so much that she's wants the other junk food, just something to satisfy the sweet (or salty) tooth that she has more often. I think it would be easy to up the healthy sweet treats you do make. Maybe she'll feel less "deprived" and stop craving the other junk.

One of my friends doesn't drink pop. Only water. She used to say how her kids didn't even like pop that much anyway. Her dd eventually broke down in tears one day because she had to confess that she liked pop. Just a gentle reminder that our kids are not little versions of us, even if we want them to be, even if it is for their good. :001_smile:

I really believe so. I think not all fats are equally healthy. I absolutely steer clear of all manner of vegetable oils because I believe them to be rancid or to have an inappropriate omega3:6 ratio.

I use animal fats, coconut oil, and olive oil to cook or eat with ( I don't usually cook with olive oil). I also personally use butter but not for the kids due to allergies. Avocados are another good source of fat. I don't use nut butters because my kids don't like them. Peanut butter used to be a staple here but I cut that out.

There are a few fat soluble vitamins that you just need in your diet. If you eat dairy, perhaps you can find a from a local farmer some high quality butter from pastured cows and add that to your daughter's diet.

I think the fat issue is very interesting. I know I feel more satisfied with a meal when I have a decent amount of healthful fat in it. I personally wouldn't start adding a bunch of animal fat, but there are so many great unsaturated fats that you could use. Even just sauteing veggies in olive oil, adding chopped avocado to your burrito, those sorts of things.

I think I agree the the PP who suggested making treats more often. I don't want dd eating treats very often either, but if she's going to crave them, isn't it better for her to develop a taste for treats made with actual FOOD ingredients?

• 8 months later...
You Are What You Eat

We love this show on BBC America.

Gillain McKeith is a whackadoodle. I love this show, too (the old one, not the new version), but man she's a nut.:001_smile: And I mean that in a good way. If you like her ideas, her book Slim For Life has a lot of the same info as You Are What You Eat book, but it has more recipes. (It doesn't have all the supplement suggestions, but we're not big supplement people so that works for me.)

Same situation here, except that we're not vegetarian. We are, however, pretty firm about not eating junk, and we buy organic. My kids fully buy into the idea of supporting organic, will not eat most fast food (actively preach against McDonald's ;)), BUT looooooooove eating canned soup and junk food at their grandparents house! They say when they are grown ups they'll eat only canned soup!! (I have always made scrumptious from-scratch soups and cannot believe they prefer Campbell's. :confused:)

I don't fret too much about it--if they want to enjoy canned soup at their grandparents' house it's not going to be the end of the world. Plus a little bit of junk infrequently really won't have much of an effect if the rest of their food is nutritional and wholesome. However, I do like to think they can come to understand the health and food issues involved over time.

I did recently show them Food, Inc. and we had some great discussions over the issues presented in that documentary.

I also bought Food Rules by Michael Pollan, and we're in process on that one. I'd like them to read more by Michael Pollan.

I have also been trying to teach both kids how easy scratch cooking is. Fortunately they think that's really cool and are proud of their cooking skills.

The unfortunate fact is that human beings want to fit in with others, and also that eating a whole foods diet is harder to do in America. I think it will take a lot of gentle instruction and time for a kid to grow into fully embracing the work of a whole foods diet.

Okay, i'm really thinking about this oils thing. Now that I think about it, maybe our diet is really low in fat -- except when it's high, of course.

Are you guys saying that with more healthy fats, cravings for sweets, et c. diminish?

really?

Yes! Yes, yes, yes, yes. I personally have found this to be absolutely true. I used to have the world's biggest sweet tooth and even though I abhorred processed foods in theory I just couldn't say no if someone offered & it was sweet. I almost completely cured that by adding a lot more fat (mostly coconut oil, but also more olive oil and more butter both of which I used previously, just not in te same proportions)

We're not vegetarian, but it is frustrating trying to find information on nutrition at a kid's level that I feel is accurate. Everything is based on the FDA Food Pyramid, which has been completely debunked. The Harvard School of Public Health has its own pyramid - the Healthy Eating Pyramid, I think it's called - that actually has some sound science behind it (and some great information on WHY the FDA's pyramid is a load of hogwash), but they don't have any books for kids and none of the books for kids are based on it. I'm constantly having to edit on the fly or tell DD, "Actually science doesn't really support the idea of eating dairy every day/eating that much bread/whatever." It's very annoying.

We're not vegetarian, but it is frustrating trying to find information on nutrition at a kid's level that I feel is accurate. Everything is based on the FDA Food Pyramid, which has been completely debunked. The Harvard School of Public Health has its own pyramid - the Healthy Eating Pyramid, I think it's called - that actually has some sound science behind it (and some great information on WHY the FDA's pyramid is a load of hogwash), but they don't have any books for kids and none of the books for kids are based on it. I'm constantly having to edit on the fly or tell DD, "Actually science doesn't really support the idea of eating dairy every day/eating that much bread/whatever." It's very annoying.

Oh, I need to check that out. Stinks when dd is allergic to dairy & I keep trying to get back to vegetarian and a huge chunk of the pyramid is all dairy & meat. :glare:

I am trying to get dh "on the wagon" and get myself firmly back on it myself, so we'll be checking out Food Inc & one of the Pollan books that came up on hold for me this week! (I forget which one, lol. Oh well.) Someone said they showed Food Inc to their 4.5-year-old? It wasn't too graphic? I haven't seen it myself, just the hype about it, but I thought it sounded not-for-the-faint-of-heart? (My 5-year-old will want to see it if she knows I have it.)

There is a Young Reader's version of Pollan's The Omnivore's Dilemna. There's also a young reader's version of Fast Food Nation, called Chew On This!

I am planning to have my dd read Animal, Vegetable, Miracle sometime soon. :)

I was going to recommend the same books :)

I agree that a lot of Animal, Vegetable, Miracle is very accessible to kids, but you (OP) may want to pre-read it and use it selectively. It does make a strong argument in favor of eating animals, and some sections talk about animal mating and slaughtering.

Oh, I need to check that out. Stinks when dd is allergic to dairy & I keep trying to get back to vegetarian and a huge chunk of the pyramid is all dairy & meat. :glare:

Ugh. Tell me about it. We are all dairy intolerant. Both the girls and DH get terrible reflux and rashes from it and I get bad rashes and IBS symptoms from it. I'm constantly having to explain that, no, we do not need to eat any dairy, that calcium comes from other sources, that most human beings on planet earth do not eat dairy products and are, in fact, lactose intolerant past early childhood, blah, blah, blah. It's SO ANNOYING! It wouldn't bother me if the stupid books would just acknowledge that dairy can be part of a healthy diet, but isn't a requirement, but they don't do that. They say you "need" it and rarely even address allergies at all, but when they do, it's just to say that you have to replace dairy with soy milk, which we also can't have and which also isn't necessary. :banghead: lol

My 5 year old has seen King Corn 3 times. He calls it "The movie about the guys with corn in their hair."

It is entertaining and interesting.

We also watched Food, Inc. We liked the style of King Corn much better. They are funny!

I would have her watch both, but start with King Corn.

Okay, i'm really thinking about this oils thing. Now that I think about it, maybe our diet is really low in fat -- except when it's high, of course. Are you guys saying that with more healthy fats, cravings for sweets, et c. diminish?

For me, if I don't get enough healthy fat (olive oil in the home made hummus, avocado, nuts or whatever) I'll crave breads or pastas. If I'm craving sugary stuff like lollies, I'm usually "salad deficient-" not eating enough leafy greens so low in calcium. I've been hankering after okra lately, presumably because it is high in calcium.

If I was going to recommend a nutrition program, I'd recommend the one Peela hasn't written yet. :D

Rosie

For me, if I don't get enough healthy fat (olive oil in the home made hummus, avocado, nuts or whatever) I'll crave breads or pastas. If I'm craving sugary stuff like lollies, I'm usually "salad deficient-" not eating enough leafy greens so low in calcium. I've been hankering after okra lately, presumably because it is high in calcium.

If I was going to recommend a nutrition program, I'd recommend the one Peela hasn't written yet. :D

Rosie

Is she writing one or are you just teasing? I will buy it Peela! Go for it.

Letting a little in might not be a bad idea for the long run. My mom banned my brother and I from soda pop. Every time we went to friends houses we had it, any time we could get our hands on it we had it. My brother still drinks about 5 cans a day. I had to give it up cold turkey a year and a half ago. I am 36 and I crave coke every day.

Now, with my younger two sisters she had relaxed. She would sometimes get it in the summer. If they were out for a meal they could get it. Just allowing that little to be okay, they still only occasionally drink soda.

I allow a small amount. I would say that we are 90%/10%. At Halloween they go trick or treating with their friends. They they get to pick out 10 pieces of candy to keep and the rest we put out for the switch witch (she takes the candy and leaves a toy), When they are given candy at a birthday party, they can pick one piece and I throw the rest away. In the summer I will buy one 2litre bottle of root beer and that lasts us the summer for some occasional root beer floats. When my kids ask for junk food, if it is an appropriate time of day, they can have a small amount. They almost never ask. We also have "fun" junk yogurt covered pretzels, chocolate covered raisins, dried pineapple, pirates booty etc... Most the time they like that more.

Letting a little in might not be a bad idea for the long run. .

:iagree:My mom was very strict about food when we were growing up and I remember feeling resentful about it times. I did not have a really good grasp about what artificial chemicals, hfcs, etc could do to you. Just hearing that they were "bad" wasn't enough. When I went to friends I would definitely accept all the bad snacks and there was a time in jr high when I'd use my milk money for pop or a candy bar from the vending machines. I think sometimes making things strictly off limits makes them seem more appealing and, for me at least, there was the need to fit in with my friends.

My family eats very healthy. We aren't vegetarians anymore but we eat mostly organics, whole grains, fruits and vegetables in season etc. I have talked to the kids about chemicals in food, hfcs, etc but I do what Dolphin does and we do allow certain things once in a while. Sometimes the kids are just interested about what something tastes like. The packaging makes it seem so appealing. So when they express an interest in something then we buy it once to try. Most of the time the kids don't really like it or are disappointed that it's not as delicious as they'd thought. A few times they have really liked something so in that case I will either try to find an acceptable healthier alternative or buy that item occassionally as a very special treat.

When my kids are with friends they can make their own decisions but we are lucky in that most of our friends eat relatively healthy as well. If my kids were downing pop, chips and candy DAILY at their friends I might feel otherwise.

I am teasing Peela :D

Negin was teasing her the other day :D

She is probably ignoring us. :crying::tongue_smilie:

:lol:

Rosie

:lol::lol::lol:

But I am so enjoying all the free time I have now that I am not homeschooling! In between getting them off to school, and spending all evening helping with homework, that is.

Seriously though, don't you think there are enough nutrition books out there? i know I wanted one a while back for my teens...but if I were to write one, which audience would I write for? There are SO many different perspectives on nutrition its enough to drive anyone batty...which is probably why we need more balanced ones with a fairly broad perspective and an understanding that we dont know it all yet rather than "this is the one and only way"....but really, just thinking about it puts my brain on overload.

But I will continue to consider it.

There has been a couple of series of a program on British tv that might be worth tracking down, they might be on you tube. Its Called Jimmy's Food factory. the guy who presents it is a friend of the chef Jamie Oliver.

Anyway basically on the show he tries to re create shop bought processed food and shows you all the short cuts used to make cheap food. Its a real eye opener with regards to how far removed from real food, junk/cheap processed food actually is. Its also quite a fun show to watch because he makes a lot of his equipment himself out household/farmyard type things.

My 6 yr old likes this show, its on really early in the evening so should be ok for kids/adults of any age.

Here is one of them

I don't remember it covering the slaughter of animals.

Edited by lailasmum

Letting a little in might not be a bad idea for the long run...

I allow a small amount. I would say that we are 90%/10%...

We are similar. We're not vegetarians, but with a family history of obesity and diabetes, I wanted my kids to grow up eating healthier than I did. On the other hand, I had a cousin who was allowed NO junk food whatsoever as a child. (Not even the homemade baked goods, chocolate, etc., that the OP's daughter can enjoy.) If my grandmother gave her something that she asked for, then she went home and burst into tears and confessed to her mother. She's now also morbidly obese. Interestingly, her mom was much more liberal with her much-younger brother, and that cousin is very trim and fit now.

I think that one of the benefits of homeschooling is that we really do control our kids' diets, for good or for bad. My kids aren't getting junk in their lunches or from kids at school every day. We don't use kids' drinks (like Kool-Aid), we very rarely give them root beer, and they still think caffeinated drinks are for adults. I sometimes have baked goods in the house, but they're never store-bought. We talk about nutrition, healthy choices, and how/why/when your body uses different foods, but it's in a more detached manner. They've internalized it pretty well, but no one comes crying to me after someone gives them a gummy bear. ;)

When they're at Grammy and Pappy's house, I don't care what they do. Ditto for Cub Scouts or at church or on holidays. ("Holiday" meaning one day, not two weeks!) I figure that if they eat well the other 90% of the time, perhaps they'll associate that stuff with special occasions rather than wanting them all the time (like I do!). I'm also hoping that they will crave a better class of junk, like homemade things.

All I can say is that, right now, my kids will generally pick a good piece of fruit over a cookie if offered a choice. That's more than I could ever say for myself! ;) I'd definitely look out for your balance of salt and protein, because that's wise. Also, if she'snot getting enough sleep that will make her body crave sugar (instant energy!) big time. [i routinely lose all of my baby weight +5 pounds within a few weeks of delivery, then put on another 10-15 lbs. during the months-long Baby Won't Sleep Through the Night phase because of that.] But assuming everything else is okay, your daughter will probably do just fine in the long run. After all, she's in your home most of the time, not her friends'. :001_smile:

Good luck,

Pamela

I have found that drinking a green smoothie daily takes away any sweet cravings. Also, eating some coconut butter (not oil) on a cracker seems like a very yummy treat. It's high in healthy fat too.:) It would be good with a nut milk or something like that as a snack. I get the Artisana brand from Whole Foods.

Edited by 1GirlTwinBoys

I have tried to make it a part of our life here. We have watched most of the nutrition shows and movies as well. I will have to check out those other ones listed, we really enjoyed the Food Revolution last year. We do allow some junk, but try to keep it limited. I let them eat marshmallows and suckers at the g'parents. I make treats now and again and if we are out sometimes they might get something special. I want them to know what real food is, we talk about food that helps you grow. They help me in the kitchen- I think a lot of it for adults is they have no idea how to pull together a real meal, with real food.