Menu

What homeschooling books have been an encouragement to you?

Let me be the first to say it!!!

WTM, of course! lol

Also, Pocketful of Pinecones, by Karen Andreola. It's a fiction book about a young mom and her family who go thru various life experiences early in the 20th century, incorporating Charlotte Mason homeschool techniques, particularly nature study. Very nice way to get information while enjoying a good story. There's a sequel, too, but I haven't read it yet.

nt

Some of these are homeschool books, others aren't restricted to homeschooling, but are useful to me as a homeschooler.

Well Trained Mind was one of the first books that left me challenged to attempt great things with my kids.

Pocketful of Pinecones is a comforting novel about a woman beginning to teach her kids.

So You're Thinking About Homeschooling by Welchel (I bought a copy of this just to have it to loan out to people.)

Five Love Languages series, especially the books for children and teens

When You Rise Up by Sproul

Repairing the Ruins and The Case for Classical Christian Education by Douglas Wilson

The Read Aloud Handbook by Jim Trelease

Endangered Minds and Failure to Connect by Jane Healy

Last Child in the Woods by Louv

the Minds of Boys by Michael Gurian (also Boys and Girls Learn Differently and the Purpose of Boys. There is some repetition, so read whichever one your library might have).

Charlotte Mason's writing. I've read through a lot of her work as translated into modern English on the Ambleside Online site. I have a hardcopy of the original version in my cart at Amazon for poolside reading.

Who Killed Homer? by Hanson and Heath

I also enjoyed hearing Zan Tyler at a conference a few years ago, but I haven't read her books yet.

Homeschooling Our Children Unschooling Ourselves by Alison McKee. It's not necessarily about unschooling though the author did unschool her children. The book is about her decision to keep her children home and just being a part of their lives. Very cool book indeed. I've read it as much as the WTM. :)

Let me be the first to say it!!!

WTM, of course! lol

:iagree:I have found the others fluffy or actually disheartening. The first book I read was Debra Bell's, and she directly said that the only people who succeed in homeschooling, the ONLY, were people called by God to homeschool. A bit of a wet rag to be the first book you ever read on homeschooling if you haven't been called that way, what ever your religious views are! So glad it isn't in my nature to be discouraged easily.

The Well Trained Mind by Susan Wise Bauer and Jessie Wise

The Disappearance of Childhood by Neil Postman

Designing Your Own Classical Curriculum by Laura Berquist

The Read Aloud Handbook by Jim Trelease

Begin Here The Forgottten Conditions of Teaching and Learning by Jacques Barzun

Link here

http://books.google.com/books?id=9mXKGwAACAAJ&dq=begin+here+by+barzun&cd=1

"The Underground History of American Education"--this book set the hook for me. From then on I really became a homeschooler to the core.

"Homeschooling: A Patchwork of Days"--this book has sample days from many types of homeschooling families, along with reflective essays and even curriculum information. It enabled me to really picture how this could play out, a whole bunch of different ways; something that had eluded me before.

"And the Skylark Sings With Me"--a lovely book about one family's homeschooling journey.

"Family Matters"--another lovely book about one family's homeschooling journey, this one by the author of "Snow Falling on Cedars", who happens to also be a high school English teacher.

Before I started homeschooling, when my ds was just a little bug, I ran across Cathy Duffy's Big Book of Homeschool something or another. I couldn't put it down! I was instantly bit by the curriculum-addiction bug, which I have had ever since! That was the perfect first-homeschooling-exposure book for me!

The Latin-Centered Curriculum. It's the one book that made me feel *I* could provide a classical education for my son and have a reasonable plan for my self-education without being totally overwhelmed.

Dreamers, Discoverers, & Dynamos (formally The Edison Trait). It helped me understand some of the unique characteristics of my dh and my ds.

So many great suggestions!

I have enjoyed just about anything by Mary Hood. Stephen Covey's Seven Habits of Highly Effective People has helped me in homeschooling and every other area of my life.

Really, any book that encourages parents to really listen, value, and understand their children is helpful to me. Anything that focuses on dominating children just doesn't speak to me.

Books which I have found helpful, thought-provoking or encouraging:

Home Grown Kids by Raymond and Dorothy Moore

The Well Adjusted Child by Rachel Gathercole

I Saw the Angel In The Marble by Chris and Ellyn Davis

Homeschooling: A Family's Journey by Gregory and Martine Millman

Margin by Richard Swenson

A Mother's Rule of Life by Holly Pierlot

Teaching the Trivium by Harvey and Laurie Bluedorn

I have tried to list some not already posted.

Lies Homeschooling Moms Believe by Todd Wilson

Susan Schaffer McCauley's books

This is another Todd Wilson book. I haven't read the Lies book so I'm not sure how much they duplicate. But Help I'm Married to a Homeschooling Mom is a funny book. Nothing earth shattering, other than an expression of frustrations that often make me feel like I'm messing up and must be the only one who is struggling with these issues. It's good to know that I'm not alone.

I am ADD and the book I look for when I'm feeling like a little bit of encouragement is "Homeschooling: Take a Deep Breath - You Can Do This!" by Terri Lynn Bittner. She is ADD herself and she writes as if she were a wise friend giving you advice and encouragement.

I also like Carol Barnier's books "How to Get YOur Child Off the Refrigerator and On to Learning" and "If I'm Diapering a Watermelon Then Where'd I Put the Baby?"

Laughter seems to help when I need that little extra boost. It's nice to know I'm not the only one out there who's decided to buck the system. Kinda like coming on this board - what a shot of encouragement everytime I log in!

• 1 year later...

For the Childrens' Sake-Susan Schaeffer McCauley (sp?)

A Charlotte Mason Companion-Karen Andreola

Pocketful of Pinecones-Karen Andreola

Lessons at Blackberry Inn-Karen Andreola

Charlotte Mason's writings

Catherine Levison's books

I also like Carol Barnier. She's a trip-even better in person. She spoke at our conference last year and she had us rolling!

I prefer Susan Wise Bauer's speaking style to her writing though the WTM is fabulous.

I've read so many that have helped me but don't feel comfortable recommending them since they only spoke to me at certain times in my homeschooling journey and haven't been something I've used across the board.

The favorite is definitely A Charlotte Mason Companion. I just love Karen Andreola!

The Well Trained Mind

The Well Educated Mind (You may need to brush up on your own education)

Climbing Parnassus

Home Education by Charlotte Mason (Looks like they've recovered and republished all of the books. All of them are wonderful.)

When Children Love to Learn

Homeschooling for Excellence

Dumbing us Down

Homeschooling: A Family's Journey

Educating the Wholehearted Child

Boys Adrift

I LOVE Boys Adrift!!:001_smile:

Question. Educating the Wholehearted Child gets such great reviews on Amazon-is it truly inspiring and helpful or does it speak of things that are just too idealistic? I know that's hard to answer since each person is different...

Thx!

I realized I really have to be careful about what author/book I choose. I remember years ago purchasing REAL LEARNING by Liz(?) Foss(?) and thought it was so,so idealistic-for me anyways. I felt so in adequate after reading it! And, as if that wasn't bad enough, I would read her blog often. I am sure she is a very nice person with loving intentions, it's just that she fit that stereotype of SuperMom, yk? She seemed to be all, do all and have ait all.:tongue_smilie:

Nowadays I am looking for down to earth, able to dish the dirt-type of author.:lol: ;)

You might want to take a look at Love in a Time of Homeschooling: A Mother and Daughter's Uncommon Year.

Regards,

Kareni

Thanks! While viewing that on Amazon, I came across this book mentioned from a reviewer. This sounds really good, too!!

www.amazon.com/Heart-Mothers-Story-Children-Learning/dp/0979488338/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1316835116&sr=1-1

Someone gave me For the Children's Sake before I got married - I knew then I would homeschool my children if I ever had any. I snag used copies where ever I find them and give them away.

Heart of Wisdom Teaching Approach by Robin Sampson. I especially like the part about the Hebrew approach to education.

Wisdom's Way of Learning by Marilyn Howshall. I could never quite get the hang of how to pull this off, but I loved much of what she had to say about how learning takes place.

and, oddly enough, since I am a very conservative Christian hs'er and this book is not at all conservative or Christian:

The Teenage Liberation Handbook by Grace Llewellyn

I just love all the freedom this book advocates - it's extremely refreshing.

Thanks! While viewing that on Amazon, I came across this book mentioned from a reviewer. This sounds really good, too!!

www.amazon.com/Heart-Mothers-Story-Children-Learning/dp/0979488338/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1316835116&sr=1-1

Thanks, smilesonly. This does sound good. I've requested that my library purchase a copy.

Regards,

Kareni

Thanks, smilesonly. This does sound good. I've requested that my library purchase a copy.

Regards,

Kareni

My library has the book you suggested and I just ordered this one via ILL.:D

Kathleen, my dd just finished reading The Teenage Liberation book. I wish the author would do a revision.:001_smile: