Menu

Which Kitchen?

Which kitchen?  

1. 1. Which kitchen?

• Kitchen with island
    • Kitchen with peninsula

I'm pretty torn but leaning toward the kitchen shown in the first three photos. We are going to go order our cabinets Wednesday. Nothing like second guessing at the last minute. :willy_nilly:

Pics here:

I just updated this with a new blog post showing dimensions, dining furniture, sink etc. I also am contemplating (seriously) more cabinetry in the island plan. I had that idea long ago (adding some shallow base & wall cabinets) and a couple of you said the same thing so it must have been a good one!

http://peekabear.wordpress.com/

ETA: Sorry--no "other" I just could not take more choices right now. :tongue_smilie:

Edited again--this is the existing kitchen if anyone's curious as to what we are working with here.

Edited by darlasowders

I voted for the peninsula over the island. I have a peninsula and like it. It allows for extra storage. I think it also allows for more "elbow room" in the kitchen. I think the island would create too narrow a walkway all around it making it difficult for two people to work in the kitchen at the same time. I also like how my peninsula establishes a definite separation between the kitchen and eating area of the kitchen.

Darla,

I voted for peninsula because I have always had one and LOVE them.

May I make a suggestion with the new cabinets? My husband built me pull out drawers for all my lower cabinets as well as my pantry last summer and I still thank him daily for doing this. I gained so much space and can keep things organized. We do a lot of entertaining and I never had room for the big platters, bowls, etc. that one needs.

If your husband is handy, he can do it, too. And yes, there are companies out there that do this for you, but they want an arm and a leg. My husband spent $350 TOTAL on our kitchen. The estimates we were receiving from companies were upward of $4000.

You can see what my husband did for me at the following link:

http://sheridans-shenanigans.info/?p=1185

And yes, they are sturdy. That is my 4 year old son playing in and on the pull out drawers.:D

I voted island but my actual vote would be to make the island more narrow and then put tall cabinets on the wall behind it for a ton more storage space. Also as a previous poster mentioned, roll out shelves are a must so you can actually use the back of your cabinets!!

I vote NOT the Pennisula! We remodeled our current kitchen 2 years ago to get rid of that same situation. Our fridge was where your stove would be going..only way in and out was past the fridge..if the door was open, traffic stopped. It.was.awful. I would avoid that option. Really I would.

I agree with the poster who suggested drawers. All of my lower cabinets have either drawers or rollout. Drawers are awesome! All my pots, pans, casseroles and such are in drawers and I absolutely love it. Roll outs require that you first open a door before the shelf can roll out. Drawers are just a drawer..open and shut. Love them!

Edited by KatieinMich

You guys are as divided as I am. :D The island seems to be slightly in the lead.

Now at least I don't feel silly for obsessing over this decision. I have two pretty good options here.

The peninsula would give me a nice dividing area between kitchen and dining room. OTOH, the dining room is SMALL so the island makes it visually larger while the peninsula would be a more defined barrier.

Multiple cooks could do very well with the island as 4 people could easily stand around it without needing to move much. Also the other side could be set up very nicely to keep the just-gonna-fix-myself-a-quick-snack traffic out of my way when I'm working on something. They could access the fridge, pantry and some cabinets on the other side of it without going near the sink and stove. (People do wander through regularly from both directions now--and it's a pain because there is no where for them to be but underfoot.)

The room is 12' 5" wide so there is just over 43" of floor space on either side of the island. I don't have it centered, but figured on it being that way. It only looks tight in the screen shots because I didn't bother to center it in the program.

But those glass cabinets are so pretty--even if I don't really have anything pretty to display in them. The long side of the peninsula could still provide plenty of work space. In my mind it also looks more normal to have some cabinets on that wall--even if I do have some neat ideas for it. Just traipsing around it would be a bugger.

I have an island and really like it. I am wondering about your triangle though. It looks a little unwieldy to me.

When remodeling your kitchen make sure you consider the kitchen work triangle as a guide to cooking productivity.

The National Kitchen and Bath Association has specified these guidelines for your "work triangle".

* The sum of the work triangle's three sides should not exceed 26 feet, and each leg should measure between 4 and 9 feet.

* The work triangle should not cut through an island or peninsula by more than 12 inches.

* If the kitchen has only one sink, it should be placed between or across from the cooking surface, preparation area, or refrigerator.

* No major traffic patterns should cross through the triangle.

I have an island and really like it. I am wondering about your triangle though. It looks a little unwieldy to me.

The sink is between the fridge and stove (It's under the window where it is now.) and the prep area behind the stove. It's as good as it's going to get since moving the sink or stove means major renovations (not in the budget). I could put a sink in the island but the dishwasher needs to stay where it is.

The fridge now is practically in the doorway--and it's 18 cubic feet including the freezer (I have two teenage boys! :tongue_smilie:). I know it's still not ideal, but it's a dramatic improvement. I can take stuff out of the fridge, pile it on the island and I (hopefully) won't have to retrace my steps too much at that point.

My other option would be to wait a couple years and hope the budget increases. I'm really really tired of this 18 cf fridge though.

I replied penisula. It really depends on your kitchen. I have a penisula and I really like it. It has a bar and the people not actually working in the kitchen sit at it and converse with the people in the kitchen working. My dd on the other hand has an island and it really works well for her kitchen. It allows more people to work in the kitchen and opens up her dining space. Neither of our kitchens would work the other way around. From what I can tell by your layout, it seems like the penisula would be better.

I voted for the island, because of the prep space being convenient to all of the work. I cook. I bake. I make candy. These things *require* easilly accessible counter space. I absolutely hate cooking, when I'm always having to figure out where to put things down. The Island gives you prep space, staging space... just more space to work efficiently.

If storage were an issue, the peninsula offers better storage options.

However, you can use wall cabinet-depth (or stack wall cabinets) to cover the entire wall across from the island. They won't be as deep, but will create a focal wall, and let you have some pretty glass cabinets for display too.

I am wondering about your triangle though. It looks a little unwieldy to me.

This was the first thing I thought of, too.

I also like the openness of the kitchen without the island. Of course, that's just my opinion, but it IS what you asked for!! :tongue_smilie:

Agree with the openness. With regard to the triangle quote from above, I like to be able to move directly from point to point in my kitchen triangle. From the drawings it seems like you'd have to skirt around the island. It would annoy *me* to do this.

The sink is between the fridge and stove (It's under the window where it is now.) and the prep area behind the stove. It's as good as it's going to get since moving the sink or stove means major renovations (not in the budget). I could put a sink in the island but the dishwasher needs to stay where it is.

I guess I don't understand why your prep area isn't the counter space between the sink and stove? To me this would seem the ideal place for your working space as it's closer to your triangle.

Anyway, I didn't vote. I prefer the peninsula option for the space. But, of course, it depends on your own family's lifestyle and how the kitchen will be used by you all. So, not a lot of help, am I? :tongue_smilie:

Cinder

I voted island b/c 1) I used to have one and miss is *terribly* and 2) my current kitchen has the fridge such that the doors block the opening to the dining room . . . similarly to how your stove would. . . and I HATE it. I hate lots of things about my tiny kitchen, but the fridge location is the absolute worst thing about it. If it were a stove (hot, danger, need to be right there frying/opening the oven, etc.) it would be a zillion times worse. No way in the world would I choose a kitchen plan that put even the fridge in that spot. . . and absolutely NOT for a range. Trust me, you'll HATE it. If you can't relocate the range, I would definitely not consider that option!

Definitely the island. You have a limited amount of counter/working space along the wall where your stove/sink are placed. If you have the island, you have working space that is convenient to your refrigerator, sink, and stove. With the peninsula, your work space is ackward, with the additional working space from the peninsula and wall cabinets across the kitchen. Open space in the middle of a kitchen is basically worthless space.

I also think that having the island opens up the entire kitchen/dining area more. Will you have seating at the island? It's hard to tell from the pictures how much room is there.

If you do the island, a good amount of space between the kitchen/stove/cabinets and the island is around 3 feet. You want the island close enough to be a useful working surface, and it also seems like you would want to encourage the flow of traffic around the other side of the island and away from your primary working area.

Good luck with your decisions. How exciting for you - your new kitchen will be a wonderful change!

I voted peninsula! I have worked as a nanny in several houses and then I built my own. I went with the peninsula because I couldn't stand the ring around the island effect on small children while I was cooking. Plus it gave me more storage, and you can still have the backside be a raised type bar and get that same island effect.

I'm going to go with the island.

It looks as if you'd have a little more storage with the peninsula, but you'd also have a blind corner, unless you do some fancy cabinet work. I.hate.blind.corners. An island really is easy to work around...and I do mean "around." I have had a peninsula, and I have an island now, and I'll take the island any day. The room is much more open, which makes it feel bigger even if it isn't.

Definitely pull-out drawers on all base cabinets. You will never have to get on your hands and knees in search of a missing doodad again.

I voted for peninsula. I like the extra storage. The other seems like it has wasted empty space. I'd want the extra storage offered by the peninsula.

The kids can still stand around the peninsula to bake cookies!

Susu

I voted for the peninsula over the island. I have a peninsula and like it. It allows for extra storage. I think it also allows for more "elbow room" in the kitchen. I think the island would create too narrow a walkway all around it making it difficult for two people to work in the kitchen at the same time. I also like how my peninsula establishes a definite separation between the kitchen and eating area of the kitchen.

Agree wholeheartedly! Also the peninsula allows the cook/s to work unencumbered while guests stay on the other other side. You can still give them task to complete while they are on their side of the counter. It's just much more cozy than an island.

One suggestion, have the far-side of the pennisula countertop made into a semi-circle/bow-out - just enough so that you can slip two barstools underneath. Wish so much I had done this for our kitchen remodel.

Also, depending on what is on the other kitchen-side of the peninsula, consider adding bookshelves to the opposing side to maximize the space. (For instance, I have a dishwasher that blocks one end.) I see that you have a turnstile planned for the corner space. Those really work.

Edited by bookfiend

One suggestion, have the far-side of the pennisula countertop made into a semi-circle/bow-out - just enough so that you can slip two barstools underneath. Wish so much I had done this for our kitchen remodel.

This is the problem with these screen shots not really showing the space accurately. My dining room (the other side of the peninsula) would be about 10' 5" wide. My table is 48" (I could go down to 42) and chairs need to be pulled in and out. Any bar area at that peninsula would have chairs back to back with the dining set.

I'm messing with the plan again to get some cabinets on that wall (with the island plan) and plugging in some dining furniture, a sink etc to give a better visual of what it would actually look like.

I voted island b/c 1) I used to have one and miss is *terribly* and 2) my current kitchen has the fridge such that the doors block the opening to the dining room . . . similarly to how your stove would. . . and I HATE it. I hate lots of things about my tiny kitchen, but the fridge location is the absolute worst thing about it. If it were a stove (hot, danger, need to be right there frying/opening the oven, etc.) it would be a zillion times worse. No way in the world would I choose a kitchen plan that put even the fridge in that spot. . . and absolutely NOT for a range. Trust me, you'll HATE it. If you can't relocate the range, I would definitely not consider that option!

My range is in that spot now. There doesn't seem to be a better spot for it that does not involve walking across the room with pots of hot water.

http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2250/496112/22767542/378896285.jpg

It doesn't bother me, but maybe I'm distracted by how much more the fridge bugs me.

However, you can use wall cabinet-depth (or stack wall cabinets) to cover the entire wall across from the island. They won't be as deep, but will create a focal wall, and let you have some pretty glass cabinets for display too.

I had done this with the planner at some point in the past and am thinking of going back to it now. These are IKEA cabinets, and they do offer a 12" deep base cabinet in a 30 and 39" height--and pretty glass doors! :w00t: I just love those...

If it was too tight in that spot, I could just stick them in the dining room. That would be very ok actually. Think of how much homeschool supplies they would hold--in style! :D

Ok, off to upload a new blog post with better views.

Plan C makes sense to me. Our dining room was and still is small..the old penisula really limited that area even further. Now with it gone, we can spread out a tad more in the dining room. The cabinets you added to the blank wall could be utilized in so many ways. Pantry, school supplies..etc.

This is off-track, but I'd want to put in a sliding pocket door in the wall next to where your fridge is now.

I'm not a fan of most islands, so my vote is for the peninsula.

Yeah, me too (on the pocket door). I have also thought of removing it completely. I do occasionally need to shut the dog in the laundry room though.

This program treats every door like an exterior door though and it does actually open into the next room. That helps--a little, but it's still a very annoying door.

I like your plan B (or C?) the best. The peninsula looks too spread out to use conveniently. The island without the back cabinets looks like it was plopped onto an unfinished roon as an afterthought.

Whatever you do, don't put the stove in the doorway either. If you think the fridge is annoying, wait until you're trying to get something hot out of the oven and some little kid wants to get through. Our stove blocks the doorway into our only bathroom. The kids are trained to stay away, but it's still nerveracking. And was terrible when they were younger.

Edited by Scuff

For C :D

Your work triangle (fridge/sink/stove) makes sense (it's not my personal "ideal" -- but I get that you're not trying to completely re-work the kitchen, but really a more minor fix to some major current problems.

I like the bank of cabinets, I feel like it "finishes" the space better than the blank wall. Also, I don't know what your space is, but the rule of thumb is 42"-48" aisle space around the island. It looks like you have plenty of space in your work area, but the space between the island and the wall cabinets looks tighter. If that isn't a primary work area, you can probably get away with 36" any less than that from island cabinet to wall cabinet and it will be problematic.

All-in-all, I think you have a winning plan! Plenty of storage, some "pretty," and a really good work area.

For C :D

It looks like you have plenty of space in your work area, but the space between the island and the wall cabinets looks tighter. If that isn't a primary work area, you can probably get away with 36" any less than that from island cabinet to wall cabinet and it will be problematic.

It is tighter. It's probably just a little over 30". I do have hallways about this width, and this will be standing room/cold storage area mostly. This will be where some school/office/extra paper type supplies end up and small seldom used kitchen gadgets. It does concern me a bit though. In spite of 2000 square feet, things seem to be downsized in this house. (The current cabinets are 22" depth instead of 24"). My room would ideally be 6" wider.

Worst case scenario is it is too tight and I put the pretty cabinets in the dining area. I would then need to do something with that wall. Light boxes? Art? Lots of little shelves with potted plants? A big mirror? Hmmmm...

Of course, the pretty cabinets are 60" wide and I have 52" from the corner of the DR to the heat register. Who needs heat? :tongue_smilie:(I can get away with this if I leave the toe-kick off and put those cabinets on legs instead.)

I voted island before I saw your pics.

I like the pennisula with a twist. Put it coming out from the wall the stove is on instead. Even though it's a narrower opening I think you'll like it better. People won't be trying to squeeze by you while you're cooking at the stove. Better flow.

I detest islands. (well, small Caribbean islands with cabana boys to take care of every one of my whims are fine.)

Kitchen islands :thumbdown:

I love wide open space in the middle of a kitchen.

So I can dance if I feel like it.

So nobody bumps into me.

So my family can all be there, chatting, standing around, chopping, stirring, getting in the way.

So my dogs can all be there. Just getting in the way in a hopefull kind of manner.

There is only one home with a kitchen island that I remember not hating - and that had HUGE distances between the island & counters. I'm thinking at least 6 feet on the shortest side & much more than that on the others. Otherwise, I'd rather have open space.

:)

I voted island before I saw your pics.

I like the pennisula with a twist. Put it coming out from the wall the stove is on instead. Even though it's a narrower opening I think you'll like it better. People won't be trying to squeeze by you while you're cooking at the stove. Better flow.

I can't move the stove. (It's gas and needs to be vented. Moving the vent would mean reworking the siding on the house.) That would also give me a 6.5' wide dining room (and the smallest corner cabinet would cover the sliding door).

It would be better flow though. I'd just need a bigger room to pull it off or move the dining room to where the living room is now. I actually thought about putting a slide-in range in the peninsula, but then I'd be traipsing over to the sink (through the only traffic route) with pots of hot water. Oh and the only slide-in I could find with a built-in downdraft was about $3500. Ouch. Due to the stupid low sloping ceilings having anything hanging down would mean quite a bit of rough construction work.

I wonder how many times I will have to shoo everyone to the other side of the island before they get it through their heads that there is another place to walk. :glare:

There are 2 things I'd want if doing the "island" thing"

1) A rectangular hole cut in the island counter-top, with a trash-can hidden away in the cabinet below, so it was a great food prep area. I don't have such a situation, mind you, but it's my dream.

2) I must have a pot-rack. I'd have one over the island.

Bill

I wonder how many times I will have to shoo everyone to the other side of the island before they get it through their heads that there is another place to walk. :glare:

After three years, ours still sneak up behind me at the stove.

"Oh Cabana Boy! Remove these troublesome children to the nursery."

"Thank you."

Barb

Edited by Barb F. PA in AZ

Trying this again, darn busy server......

I always feel like I am having to dodge something when I work in kitchens with an island. If you are buying a new dining set, I would get a counter height set. Then you could use the two chairs that are next to the peninsula at the table or at the peninsula. For example, if kids want to chat while you cook, they can move the chairs from the table to the peninsula, but when dinner is ready, just move the chairs back to the table.

There are 2 things I'd want if doing the "island" thing"

1) A rectangular hole cut in the island counter-top, with a trash-can hidden away in the cabinet below, so it was a great food prep area. I don't have such a situation, mind you, but it's my dream.

2) I must have a pot-rack. I'd have one over the island.

Bill

I have been thinking about a pot rack. The ceiling's fairly low, but I might be able to get away with something like this:

http://www.lightinguniverse.com/products/view.aspx?family=338581&searchTerm=light%20pot%20rack

It's also a light fixture, so if the pots hang too low, it's still a lovely light fixture. A little industrial looking, but I like that (to an extent...).

The ideal working configuration in a kitchen is to have a triangle. Meaning the fridge, stove and sink are all within a few steps of each other and you could connect them by drawing a triangle.

Have you considered the island configuration and putting a stove top in the island? You could either center it, or for even more economy of steps, put it at the end just across from the refrigerator. That would put you facing the eating area when you're standing at the stove.

Try to visualize your family working within each design and where everyone would be. Also picture clean up and what would work best for you with that as well.

Make sure you have lots of outlets for appliances and really good lighting. :)