Menu

Which Kitchen?

Which kitchen?  

1. 1. Which kitchen?

• Kitchen with island
    • Kitchen with peninsula

Darla, you've obviously put a lot of thought and work into coming up with these two designs, and I understand that you'll be buying the cabinets from Ikea, but have you thought about getting a design from a kitchen design center? Even if it's Home Depot or Lowes, don't worry, you'll give them enough profit from all the other stuff you'll be buying for your new kitchen. ;)

A kitchen is one of the hardest rooms to design as it has to be functional as well as visually pleasing. When you plan for a living room, if it doesn't work out, all the furniture can easily be moved. Not so with kitchen counters and appliances. Might not hurt just to see what some professionals would come up with. You can always adapt any design you like to work with the cabinets you have available at Ikea. Just an idea. :)

Darla' date=' you've obviously put a lot of thought and work into coming up with these two designs, and I understand that you'll be buying the cabinets from Ikea, but have you thought about getting a design from a kitchen design center? Even if it's Home Depot or Lowes, don't worry, you'll give them enough profit from all the other stuff you'll be buying for your new kitchen. ;) [/quote']

I really should look into this. Does Home Depot do this for free? Do they come to your house? They would need to in order to understand why I need what I need--and why I've dismissed certain ideas that seem obviously better from just looking at a floor plan. We will be getting our countertops done by them as well as buying flooring, sink fixtures etc.

I worry though that while eliminating the things that bug me most, I'll be creating new things that bug me in ways I never imagined. This is why I'm frozen with indecision.

I did make one decision today for sure. I will NOT be going to IKEA to order my cabinets tomorrow! Oh, and I found a pot rack I like. :001_smile:

For C :D

Your work triangle (fridge/sink/stove) makes sense (it's not my personal "ideal" -- but I get that you're not trying to completely re-work the kitchen, but really a more minor fix to some major current problems.

I like the bank of cabinets, I feel like it "finishes" the space better than the blank wall. Also, I don't know what your space is, but the rule of thumb is 42"-48" aisle space around the island. It looks like you have plenty of space in your work area, but the space between the island and the wall cabinets looks tighter. If that isn't a primary work area, you can probably get away with 36" any less than that from island cabinet to wall cabinet and it will be problematic.

All-in-all, I think you have a winning plan! Plenty of storage, some "pretty," and a really good work area.

I think C looks like a good "tweak" as well; the cabinets on the other wall balance out the kitchen and make that wall more functional.

Some thoughts about the space around your island - it looks like you have 48" on the sink side, and I think you could definitely bump the island over 6 inches or so. Less than 40" wouldn't be good, but 42" is still pretty much space. That would give you a better amount of space on the other side.

You could also make your island a bit narrower and/or add seating on the far side by using only 24" of cabinets instead of 36".

You are wise to take more time to plan and decide. Kitchens aren't easily changed once they're in place! Better to be confident about your decisions before it's too late. :001_smile:

Home Depot does come to your house to measure, take pictures..etc. They then transfer the information to a computer program ( Auto Cad). When they are ready, you get make an appointment with the kitchen designer and discuss the whole thing. It takes some time for all that to happen tho.

They were running a special when they drew up our's and it cost a dollar I think.

We ended up getting custom cabinets from a guy my husband knew thru work. We never thought we could afford him, but had asked him to give us a quote on installing the HD cabinets. He was not any more expensive and we got a solid woood custom kitchen.

HD got plenty of other business from us in teh process tho!

I think it looks better with the island. Just make sure it's designed right so that it's not another huge black hole. That's what our island was.

It's nothing but drawers on the stove side. (IKEA's drawers are pretty awesome too. They pull out all the way.) The other side does have mostly shelves, but they're only 12" deep leaving just enough room for a small appliance or stack of plates etc.

I have like three drawers in my whole kitchen now so I'm going nutso with drawers in this remodel. Almost ALL of my base cabinets will be drawer units. Any that are not have good reason not to be (sink cab & possibly a pull-out for my mixer).

The 2 pantries side by side will open away from each other (so it will be like one big pantry) and each has 5 pull out drawers behind its door. THAT part I'm certain will not change.

I really should look into this. Does Home Depot do this for free? Do they come to your house? They would need to in order to understand why I need what I need--and why I've dismissed certain ideas that seem obviously better from just looking at a floor plan. We will be getting our countertops done by them as well as buying flooring, sink fixtures etc.

I worry though that while eliminating the things that bug me most, I'll be creating new things that bug me in ways I never imagined. This is why I'm frozen with indecision.

I did make one decision today for sure. I will NOT be going to IKEA to order my cabinets tomorrow! Oh, and I found a pot rack I like. :001_smile:

Darla - Yes, their services are free! Try to go at an off time when you're most likely to get uninterrupted help. Avoid weekends as this is their busiest. You don't need to tell them you'll be getting the cabinets elsewhere, but honestly with buying the counters, flooring, etc. from them, they won't mind helping out. They shouldn't need to visit your home if you can bring a detailed layout. Use graph paper to get the proportions of everything as accurate as possible and put down measurements for everything including accurate location of the stove currently and other things you'd rather not move. But don't rule out moving the stove a bit as even with a gas line, it's usually not that involved to move it.

It also helps if you can come up with a list to bring with you. List the must haves and the like to haves and show that to the designer as well. It's important that they know how you use your kitchen, what you like and don't like about your current kitchen/layout, what you'd like from your new kitchen, etc.

A good designer is priceless! :)

Edited by Teachin'Mine

But don't rule out moving the stove a bit as even with a gas line' date=' it's usually not that involved to move it.

[/quote']

Good to know about Home Depot. Thanks! I'm going to be talking to them about countertops anyway. I'll just get busy plotting the existing kitchen etc.

I know that moving the gas line would not be a big deal. It's just relocating the vent that concerns me. Just about 4 years ago, we had new siding installed and that would need to be reworked to locate the vent elsewhere.

I also kind of feel that the only thing I like about my existing kitchen is the nearness of the stove to the sink. I can drain hot water off something without really walking at all.

A separate downdraft cook top/oven combo would be ideal (in my mind) but cost way more unless you go with very basic. Attractive vents for those basic cook tops are $$$$. That silly sloped ceiling no doubt factors in as well.

All the ranges I've looked at with very good features have been under $2000 and the microwave/vent combos tend to be around $250. I do plan to look into this a little more though. I have wondered if anyone's used a downdraft vent with a slide-in range. Those are relatively inexpensive.

With your setup, I think the traffic flow would be better with an island. I have a kitchen with a peninsula similar to the one you are considering and I hate it. Clutter seems to breed on it.

Some suggestions:

1. Put a cake pan or roasting pan in your oven. Then stand in front of your stove and open your oven. Pull out the pan. Have someone measure the distance between your backside and the stove. You need at least that much space between the island and stove. If you take step backward before moving to the side, also allow for that movement.

2. Do you need all the storage space you are planning or are you just trying to fill the wall space? If you don't actually need the storage, consider having seating space at your island. Two or three tall chairs would look nice. This would help keep snacking messes in the kitchen. It would also allow room for overflow guest seating or space in the kitchen for little helpers. If you are looking to fill the wall, you could hang a whiteboard, memory board, or artwork.