Menu

Midlife CRISIS!

Gee! I guess I am having what they call a midlife crisis! I am 34 and for some reason I think it would be really fun to put temporary pink streaks in my hair AND pierce my naval! Where on earth did this come from? I am usually the quiet mild mannered girl. Goody two shoes, I have been called that more than once, even as a teen. Where did that come from? Anyone else ever feel like that??

Oh and boy if I didn't fit in with the other homeschoolers before because I don't wear skirts all the time, I SURE as heck wont fit in anymore with PINK HAIR!!:lol::lol::lol:

I'm 33. Last year I had solid, bright pink hair. It was fun for a while, but I really don't like people staring at me. What's funny is I'm a very private person, and can't STAND attention from others based on my appearance. Lots of people seemed to think that I dyed my hair pink to GET attention. I really just wanted to have pink hair because it seemed fun.

So, I say go for it. I think most people will be much more comfortable with pink streaks than totally pink hair. You can always remove it later if you don't like it.

I'm 37. After I have this baby, if I can get down to the weight I want and flat stomach, I want my navel pierced. And I would wear a bikini too.

I have no interest in pink hair, or tatoos, and a fancy car doesn't really do it for me. But yeah, I'd definitely do the navel piercing if I have the body for it.

At 34 I cut my hair off into a choppy spiky tousled mess and dyed it platinum white. My kids freaked out, but I loved it! I eventually buzzed it to get the white off, but now that it is shoulder length again I am having those little urges.... I say go for it!

It's much cheaper than buying a sports car, and won't ruin your marriage like a fling with a secretary.

:D

Rosie

I know Rosie! When I first read the heading I thought 'oh no! Her dh is having an affair!' LOL The reality (of wanting pink hair streaks) is MUCH better.

That is so funny! Just a few days ago I got this incredible urge to dye my hair pink as well! (And then, after doing some internet googling, I've decided I want to do a pink top layer with a bright orange bottom layer...)

I think I'm tired of "playing it safe" in all avenues of life...always been the goody-goody, the stickler for rules, etc. I had the realization last year that I was totally living my life to fit into other people's expectations/judgments of what was "right." Nothing evil about brightly colored hair, but I've never done it for fear of what others would say!

Getting older is a big relief...more confidence in myself and more courage and inner peace to do what I want to do.

That is so funny! Just a few days ago I got this incredible urge to dye my hair pink as well! (And then, after doing some internet googling, I've decided I want to do a pink top layer with a bright orange bottom layer...)

I think I'm tired of "playing it safe" in all avenues of life...always been the goody-goody, the stickler for rules, etc. I had the realization last year that I was totally living my life to fit into other people's expectations/judgments of what was "right." Nothing evil about brightly colored hair, but I've never done it for fear of what others would say!

Getting older is a big relief...more confidence in myself and more courage and inner peace to do what I want to do.

GO FOR IT!!!! My hairstylist always has some different color hair everytime I go there, so we'll see what she says will be possible for me.

Your right on as well, maybe it's just me growing up and not caring what people think anymore, getting older IS a big relief!!

Oooh, I want to do this!! I think you've inspired me LOL! But I'm not midlife yet....I'm 29. I'll be 30 in a few months.....can I still do it? LOL! I'm such a tomboy, I wonder how pink streaks in my brown hair would look?

I have brown hair too, my stylist has a new color everytime I am there, I'll ask whats possible because I know some people try to do the job at home and it comes out yucky orangy pink.

29's close enough, go for it! :D

I'm 37. After I have this baby, if I can get down to the weight I want and flat stomach, I want my navel pierced. And I would wear a bikini too.

I have no interest in pink hair, or tatoos, and a fancy car doesn't really do it for me. But yeah, I'd definitely do the navel piercing if I have the body for it.

You can do it Dawn!! So far I have lost 23 lbs and probably 22 to 23 inches since I have started dieting down in October. I need to lose one or two more inches in my lower tummy before I will go thru with the navel piercing. It's taking me a while (about a pound a week) but I'm gettin there!!

Oh and boy if I didn't fit in with the other homeschoolers before because I don't wear skirts all the time, I SURE as heck wont fit in anymore with PINK HAIR!!:lol::lol::lol:

This would be the main reason I would consider pink hair! :lol: Go for it! The worst that could happen is that you would hate it and have to dye it back.

Ok - funny pierced navel story...I had mine done while in grad school. When I was having my first dd my husband wanted me to remove it - he was sure it would cause dd brain damage! I refused because I knew if I ever took it out, I would never, ever, get it back in. So I kept it for the entire pg. As my tummy stretched and stretched it looked like I was a turkey with a little button timer on my stomach! Anways, after delivering my dd I was sitting around in the hospital room and noticed something shiney on the floor - it was my navel ring. Apparently it had torn through the hold during L&D - but I never felt a thing! (Good ole epidural!) :tongue_smilie:

So now I have a simple scar to remind me of my navel ring (and truth be told, my tummy hasn't been flat enough since DD and DS were born for me to even remotely consider getting it back in again!)

Pffft. Pink hair is cool. And if I had a flat tummy I'd pierce it in a NY minute. I finally figured out what tattoo I want, too. And, more importantly, where. I AM going to get a cartilage piercing. ;) And I'm 38. I know seriously hot 50 YOs who are getting full sleeve tatts and these are professional women.

Ok - funny pierced navel story...I had mine done while in grad school. When I was having my first dd my husband wanted me to remove it - he was sure it would cause dd brain damage! I refused because I knew if I ever took it out, I would never, ever, get it back in. So I kept it for the entire pg. As my tummy stretched and stretched it looked like I was a turkey with a little button timer on my stomach! Anways, after delivering my dd I was sitting around in the hospital room and noticed something shiney on the floor - it was my navel ring. Apparently it had torn through the hold during L&D - but I never felt a thing! (Good ole epidural!) :tongue_smilie:

So now I have a simple scar to remind me of my navel ring (and truth be told, my tummy hasn't been flat enough since DD and DS were born for me to even remotely consider getting it back in again!)

:lol: Good thing you didn't gothrough labor naturally then ouch!

It's a beautiful feeling, that dawning of self awareness. Celebrate it. It's almost a new birth.

This would be the main reason I would consider pink hair! :lol: Go for it! The worst that could happen is that you would hate it and have to dye it back.

:lol:

My hairdresser (I think she's 29 or 30) often has different colored hair. Once it was platinum blonde with hot pink streaks. I thought it was cute.

Recently I noticed that you can also buy hair extensions in different colors, including pink, so you can look like you have brightly colored highlights, but you can take them out easily. Some can't be curled or straightened, but some can. I thought I might buy some, and bring them with me to my next hair appt., so she can put them in and trim them to the right length for me (they come in a long length, and I have medium-length hair), and give me some tips. I'm 43, by the way. :001_smile:

Wendi

• 4 weeks later...
Pffft. Pink hair is cool. And if I had a flat tummy I'd pierce it in a NY minute. I finally figured out what tattoo I want, too. And, more importantly, where. I AM going to get a cartilage piercing. ;) And I'm 38. I know seriously hot 50 YOs who are getting full sleeve tatts and these are professional women.

j:

Brave lady....

(PS: Don't be surprised if at 18 your kids also want to line up at the parlor for ink of their own, if mom has had it done...)

I say go for it. Mid-life is SO freeing because you really don't give a rip what anyone thinks anymore.

I have four tattoos and got all of them when I was older than you! :001_smile:

MamaT:

So have any of your kids seemed interested in mom's Midlife ink? and have any of the over 18s considered going to the parlor too? (for them it wouldn't be a Midlife thing, though....)

Take care.

My 2nd tattoo I got at the same time my oldest son got his first - we went together. It was his 19th birthday present from me. He now has WAY more than I do, and all of them mean something to him. Many of them are expressions of his faith. It was fun to go and do it together and he thinks I am the coolest mom ever!

My 2nd tattoo I got at the same time my oldest son got his first - we went together. It was his 19th birthday present from me. He now has WAY more than I do, and all of them mean something to him. Many of them are expressions of his faith. It was fun to go and do it together and he thinks I am the coolest mom ever!

MamaT:

Ohh mother-son bonding!

So maybe he got the idea of starting to get ink from his mom, then...?

(Maybe some of your other kids are watching intently, too...)

So are any of yours faith related in design, too? the faith related ones are getting more and more popular, I think.

I'm 28. About 6 weeks ago, I got my hair highlighted with blonde and red highlights. But the red went a little wonky, and I ended up having bright pink streaks. They faded to a strawberry blonde in about two weeks.

I MISS those pink streak! I think I'm going to get them done again. it was fun! I smiled a little every time I looked in a mirror. Why not? I'm gonna go for it in mid-summer, I think.

MamaT:

Ohh mother-son bonding!

So maybe he got the idea of starting to get ink from his mom, then...?

(Maybe some of your other kids are watching intently, too...)

So are any of yours faith related in design, too? the faith related ones are getting more and more popular, I think.

I think he would have gotten tattoos whether I had them or not. He is a very creative, emotional, musician type!

None of my others have even mentioned it, and my other son who is an adult says he never wants a tattoo.

Mine are not faith related, but all have special meaning to me and represent significant events/relationships in my life.

When I turned 40, I came thisclose to getting a tatoo...would have been my first one. Didn't do it...but I was close. :D

You are not middle aged, btw. At 43, I am.

I can think of much weirder things than pink hair. The navel piercing scares me because of the pain and all, but go for it if it would make you happy. :001_smile:

I think he would have gotten tattoos whether I had them or not. He is a very creative, emotional, musician type!

None of my others have even mentioned it, and my other son who is an adult says he never wants a tattoo.

Mine are not faith related, but all have special meaning to me and represent significant events/relationships in my life.

Oh well maybe the others will be satisfied with earrings etc (can be removed, after all)...

The faith related one sounds interesting, though.

Take care.

It's much cheaper than buying a sports car, and won't ruin your marriage like a fling with a secretary.

:D

Rosie

:lol::iagree:

I soooooooo want some funky hair colour. So far, I just let my dh choose my hair colour, since he dyes my hair for me, and is the one that has to look at me all the time. Turns out red heads have more fun :lol: Who knew?

Onlyme, you don't like tatts, piercings, or dyes. We get it already. No need to hang around and make your snide comments on each thread.

:lol::iagree:

I soooooooo want some funky hair colour. So far, I just let my dh choose my hair colour, since he dyes my hair for me, and is the one that has to look at me all the time. Turns out red heads have more fun :lol: Who knew?

Onlyme, you don't like tatts, piercings, or dyes. We get it already. No need to hang around and make your snide comments on each thread.

Ms I:

You must have misunderstood:).

I guess my point is, figure the possible repercussions first of all...

Take care.

I'll be 34 this August. I just started my dreads this winter. I kept putting it off for years. I didn't want people to think poorly of me or something. I've gotten some really nice comments. Anyone who thinks less of me hasn't said anything.

Have you ever seen Anne Lamont? Not only are her books amazing (Bird By Bird, Traveling Mercies, Grace Eventually; Thoughts on Faith) but she is made of awesome. She has great dreads.

AND there's this gorgeous blonde that works at the local garden center that has dreads-with beads in them, OMG. She is golden and beautiful and her hair is amazing. I'm so glad you were brave. :001_smile:

My hair is either pink, purple, red and once it was blue. I have a Loy of fun with my hair and clothing. I adore fun heels. My newest addition are a pair of pink leopard print 5" heels that have some glitter, and I'm already 5'9" so I get really tall heels - it's fun ;)

somewhere on my blog that is in my signature there are a bunch of photos of my hair. I did go back to brown for a few weeks but I just couldn't handle it and my kids said they like the fun colors because they can find me.lol

My hair is either pink, purple, red and once it was blue. I have a Loy of fun with my hair and clothing. I adore fun heels. My newest addition are a pair of pink leopard print 5" heels that have some glitter, and I'm already 5'9" so I get really tall heels - it's fun ;)

somewhere on my blog that is in my signature there are a bunch of photos of my hair. I did go back to brown for a few weeks but I just couldn't handle it and my kids said they like the fun colors because they can find me.lol

E:

So any of the family into bright hair dyeing yet, maybe? following mom

I'll be 34 this August. I just started my dreads this winter. I kept putting it off for years. I didn't want people to think poorly of me or something. I've gotten some really nice comments. Anyone who thinks less of me hasn't said anything.

fwiw: I LOVE your dreads! A friend of mine has dreads and she looks so beautiful. She is a fine boned, classy artist - homeschooled :001_smile:and just gave birth. I love her dreads, too! http://lydialark.blogspot.com/