Menu

Frustrating incident in ds school today.

My ds is in the 4th grade. I really love his teachers, the gifted program. What is frustrating and sad is this. I brought cupcakes for DS birthday. I purchased them from Target. I was stopped at the front desk by "wait we need to read the ingredient label!" Well, target cupcake box did not have an ingredient list so I am told "You CANNOT bring those back with you" me, "You've got to be kidding" them "No label we don't know what's in them blah, blah , blah" Me "this is really pathetic and so sad for my ds" them "It's in the handb...." me "don't even try to justify it" as I continue to walk to the lunch room, They held the cupcakes at the front desk. DS wonderful teacher tried to talk to them to see if she can just send them home with the kids....them "NO!"

Why ahve things changed so much since I was in school. Kids use to be free and happy and never were obese over a few extra cupcakes a year. Where do I begin changing this school rule? I am just so sad I guess the word is not only for my son but by all the stupid rules that have come about over the years.

I purchased some really neat cupcake pans when my first son started school. Had day dreams of baking and bringing in really cool cupcakes for my kids birthdays. So although I was sad about not being to do that I accepted only store bought rule and understood that. Now it's store bought and make sure they don't forget the labels.

Rant over.....

Edited by lynn

We have to check labels when we bring food to our homeschool group because we have 2 kids who are deathly allergic to peanuts, and many bakeries can't help but cross-contaminate.

We don't have an actual rule about it, but we do it because we don't want to accidentally send anyone to the hospital (even if I personally find it to be a pain to remember).

My ds is in the 4th grade. I really love his teachers, the gifted program. What is frustrating and sad is this. I brought cupcakes for DS birthday. I purchased them from Target. I was stopped at the front desk by "wait we need to read the ingredient label!" Well, target cupcake box did not have an ingredient list so I am told "You CANNOT bring those back with you" me, "You've got to be kidding" them "No label we don't know what's in them blah, blah , blah" Me "this is really pathetic and so sad for my ds" them "It's in the handb...." me "don't even try to justify it" as I continue to walk to the lunch room, They held the cupcakes at the front desk. DS wonderful teacher tried to talk to them to see if she can just send them home with the kids....them "NO!"

Why ahve things changed so much since I was in school. Kids use to be free and happy and never were obese over a few extra cupcakes a year. Where do I begin changing this school rule? I am just so sad I guess the word is not only for my son but by all the stupid rules that have come about over the years.

Rant over.....

I think with all the food allergies now this is what they have to do.

It's not the obesity, it's not knowing what's in there that some kids may be severely allergic to. Dairy, nuts, soy, eggs--there are children with life-threatening allergies to all these. I'm sorry you had a bad experience, but as a mom with a kid who has severe allergies, I'm grateful for the heightened awareness these days.

It has nothing to do with obesity and everything to do with food allergies. My son is allergic to apples, other kids are allergic to wheat, eggs, certain dyes (almost certain to be in cupcakes!) or peanuts.

I wouldn't be able to allow my daughter to eat them without a label. She can't have the majority of cupcakes anyway though. She is egg and milk anaphylactic. Just touching milk or egg traces on a table that you can't easily see can send her to the ER or ICU !

I know it is hard to understand, I really didn't understand until my daughter was born. Now I get all those paranoid moms, that I used to think were over reacting ! I am one of them now.

I can tell you that the moms of the kids with the deadly allergies are relieved beyond what you can imagine that their kids are not exposed to danger.

:iagree:

I started looking at homeschooling after my son's anaphyllactic reaction to cashews. There's so much cross-contamination and he needs just a little amount to cause a very quick and deadly reaction.

Food allergies.:iagree:

Many dc don't even have to actually EAT the cupcake in order to have a serious reaction. In store bakeries are highly risky in the world of a nut allergic child.

I'd be LIVID if someone fed my allergic child any food without a clear label, especially in a school setting where *I* am not there to watch for signs of a reaction (which can go from nothing to life-threatening FAST).

It stinks though...:iagree:

I think it is a little sad that cupcakes are forbidden at one ps during the school day, while another ps is actively helping children have abortions (see the other ps thread)... the sad state of our public school system... reason #44,593 to homeschool.

I gotta object to this. While I think we can both agree that the abortion issue discussed today is sick and should not have happened, the forbidden cupcakes are not a sad thing. They're forbidden because they can cost a child's life. Allergies are now a fact of life. We didn't choose to have allergic children, or to have allergies ourselves. Yet a trace contact of eggs, or peanuts, or milk can be deadly.

It's really all about protecting a life.

Now it's store bought and make sure they don't forget the labels.

I understand that you are upset, but did you make sure that the cupcakes didn't have milk in them for the milk-allergic kids? Or eggs for the egg-allergic kid? Or peanuts for the peanut-allergic kid?

My child has a milk and a soy allergy and, were she in your son's class and you brought in unlabeled cupcakes, she wouldn't have been able to eat them and, I guess, would have had to watch all the other kids enjoy theirs (had you been allowed to bring them in).

I wish my oldest dd15's school did MORE to limit outside food brought in.

Tara

I gotta object to this. While I think we can both agree that the abortion issue discussed today is sick and should not have happened, the forbidden cupcakes are not a sad thing. They're forbidden because they can cost a child's life. Allergies are now a fact of life. We didn't choose to have allergic children, or to have allergies ourselves. Yet a trace contact of eggs, or peanuts, or milk can be deadly.

It's really all about protecting a life.

I see where you are coming from... I didn't mean to step on any toes. Sorry to offend...

I'm just annoyed with the public schools in general... for choosing which children to protect and which ones not to.

I understand the store bought idea...but...regardless....the label with ingredients shouldnt be an issue. WHY would you allow your child to have the teacher or office check the label if your child is deathly allergic to soy, wheat, eggs, peanuts...etc...??? I would never let my child eat anything brought to them if they had allergies like that!

Labels cannot be trusted (by office) as they call the ingredients by different names ...so the office shouldn't be checking for those kids. They just should NOT be given any of the cupcakes. There are just too many names for wheat, milk etc that people just wouldnt know if they didnt have a child with an allergy or be taught all those names.

Does that make sense?

All store brought cupcakes will have eggs, wheat, etc.

I totally agree with the idea of a severely allergic child not being around cupcakes...but in that case...they should never allow ANY cupcakes (or Food) to be brought into that class. Regardless of the label! For example...when my dd wasnt eating wheat...they offered her ice cream for a party at school...Ice cream may contain wheat...or candies offered as treats!

I thought the idea they stopped home made items was to prevent kids from being poisoned or something?? Who knows what YOU might put in your cupcakes...but everyone knows what Publix or Target uses is safe? (not you personally...in general)

Edited by mchel210

In a similar situation, I am severely allergic to dogs, yet my elementary principal was sight-impaired and had a seeing eye-dog that traveled around the cafeteria/school. It was a very different time, so my parents just loaded me up on meds and dealt with the hospital trips... it would have been nice to have a dog-free school, so I completely understand wanting an allergy-free zone.

It has nothing to do with obesity and everything to do with food allergies. My son is allergic to apples, other kids are allergic to wheat, eggs, certain dyes (almost certain to be in cupcakes!) or peanuts.

:iagree:

I'm sorry that your child & his class didn't get the cupcakes. As a parent of a child with deadly food allergies I'm glad they have that policy & glad that they enforced it even though you were (from the sounds of it) visibly upset.

I'm just annoyed with the public schools in general... for choosing which children to protect and which ones not to.

And *that* is a valid point but a totally different discussion. I do agree with the feeling of being annoyed with the public school system...

I would never let my child eat anything brought to them if they had allergies like that!

It's not just a question of eating it. It's often a question of just being around *it*.

I totally agree with the idea of a severely allergic child not being around cupcakes...but in that case...they should never allow ANY cupcakes (or Food) to be brought into that class. Regardless of the label!

The rules will vary depending on who's allergic to what. If no one in the school is allergic to eggs, there's no reason to ban egg products. So it could be that some cupcakes are ok for that group, while others are not. In Canada, we have many products that guarantee peanut-free and nut-free, even if they're cupcakes.

Yet some administrators choose to go overboard, and ban everything, to make life easier on themselves. Very annoying.

Sorry that your son didn't get to share the cupcakes. :grouphug: I do agree with the others about allergies though. When my kids were in ps, the teacher encouraged parents to have other activities for birthday celebrations....like coming in and reading a favorite story or doing a small project with the class.

Sorry that your son didn't get to share the cupcakes. :grouphug: I do agree with the others about allergies though. When my kids were in ps, the teacher encouraged parents to have other activities for birthday celebrations....like coming in and reading a favorite story or doing a small project with the class.

That's a great alternative!

My ds is severely allergic to peanuts and tree and nuts. I used to bring some cupcakes for him to eat on those birthday occasions to be safe since most bakery goods are not safe:( I am sorry you had that trouble, but it is a good policy. IMHO, I honestly feel that schools should not be celebrating birthdays with food at all. Even though I brought in cupcakes for ds, he was still left out in a way since he did not have the same cupcakes as the other students:( I also think that since diabetes and obesity (and allergies) are on the rise that celebrations with food at school are really not a good idea at all. I also think that celebrations at school for birthdays are totally unnecessary and are unfair to those kids who have birthdays during the summer and what not. Plus it takes away from school time. Just my 2 cents. Again, I am sorry that this happened to you.

Please give me some ideas for baby girl as she starts school in a year. I love the story book idea. Any small art projects for I can plan on for the next 5 or so years. She has an October birthday.

I see where you are coming from... I didn't mean to step on any toes. Sorry to offend...

I have to disagree here since food allergies can be fatal whereas environmental allergies such as dog allergies are not from what I know:(.

I see both sides of the issue (as I know you do from your subsequent posts). I like baking and cooking in general. When my dd was in preschool I was very saddened that I couldn't bring in my super-healthy, super-yummy homebaked cupcakes for holiday parties and/or her birthday. Insisting upon commercially prepared food as opposed to my whole wheat, applesauce muffins was nonsensical (IMHO at the time).

However my perspective changed when we discovered how much pain my ds experiences when he ingests milk. His most recent accidental exposure occurred when friends did NOT check the ingredients on candied popcorn. I had preached to all and sundry about hidden milk ingredients, but my friends discounted the possibility that there would be any in candied popcorn. Unfortunately "cream" is a major ingredient. My ds had a BAD stomachache for three days. It was hard to watch him suffer and to know there was virtually nothing we could do about it.

Allergies and food intolerances are a part of life, and the school doesn't have a lot of choice. I would have been LIVID if they fed my son something without checking the label. I would have been equally as angry if everyone else in the class got a cupcake and my ds got nothing.

I'm truly sorry for your disappointment, and I truly wish this were not an issue. It's not really the school's fault though.

I have to disagree here since food allergies can be fatal whereas environmental allergies such as dog allergies are not from what I know:(.

I believe she was referring to the unborn baby who got aborted (it's on another thread) and not to the person who was exposed to dogs. Although I may be wrong.

I see now that she posted about both things. It could go either way. Anyway the way I read it was about the abortion.

Any allergy has the potential to be life threatening. Also an asthma reaction to an environmental allergen always has the potential to be life threatening, or to be painful and troublesome for quite a long time. Yes, there are people who react to dogs, and a severe asthma reaction is truly awful and yes, dangerous.

And *that* is a valid point but a totally different discussion. I do agree with the feeling of being annoyed with the public school system...

It's not just a question of eating it. It's often a question of just being around *it*.

The rules will vary depending on who's allergic to what. If no one in the school is allergic to eggs, there's no reason to ban egg products. So it could be that some cupcakes are ok for that group, while others are not. In Canada, we have many products that guarantee peanut-free and nut-free, even if they're cupcakes.

Yet some administrators choose to go overboard, and ban everything, to make life easier on themselves. Very annoying.

If it is a question of being around certain food products, how do you control what other kids bring in their lunch box? Or, do kids not bring lunch from home anymore?

Any allergy has the potential to be life threatening. Also an asthma reaction to an environmental allergen always has the potential to be life threatening, or to be painful and troublesome for quite a long time. Yes, there are people who react to dogs, and a severe asthma reaction is truly awful and yes, dangerous.

I agree, but from what I understand, as a nurse and mom of someone with severe food allergies, food is the most common cause of anaphylaxis which is what I was referring to. I agree that asthma is awful since I, myself, had out of control asthma, aggravated by environmental allergies, for 2 months which required oral steroids:(. I would hope that having a dog in a school full time is an unusual situation as well:(

If it is a question of being around certain food products, how do you control what other kids bring in their lunch box? Or, do kids not bring lunch from home anymore?

The same rule applies to lunch boxes of course! If the birthday cupcakes are not allowed on a birthday, they're not allowed on a regular day either.

Schools will deal with this aspect with a variety of approaches. I've heard of schools double checking every lunch box and throwing away the 'illegal' food.

I've heard of kids being segregated at lunch time, either the allergic kid to an allergy-free table, *or* the kid with the 'illegal' food to the 'illegal' table.

Same thing with smoke on clothing, perfumes, &tc. I'd never thought of it from that angle (protecting some but not all).

That is a good question:) I do not believe in banning foods from the lunch room. I like the idea of a peanut/tree nut free table or perhaps, better yet, a table for peanuts and tree nuts:) I do think food should be banned from classrooms though to prevent contamination of the environment there since kids spend most of their time in the classrooms.

Just my 2 cents:)

My asthma was nearly fatal that year when it put me into the hospital for 2 months with a collapsed lung and many other issues caused by my asthma. They weren't sure I was going to pull through... so, yes, dog allergies can be as severe as peanuts or eggs.

Thankfully I only had one year with that principal, since I moved to the middle school the next year.

Edited by babysparkler

At my kids' school, the kids eat in the cafeteria. There is a nut-free table, but nuts are allowed at the other tables.

Some classrooms are nut-free. I know when the kindergarten room was nut-free, kids who had nuts for lunch had to wash their hands and gargle with mouthwash before going back to class.

Same thing with smoke on clothing, perfumes, &tc. I'd never thought of it from that angle (protecting some but not all).

Oh man... smoke, cat hair on sweaters, perfume at the symphony/church... they all are things I still have to constantly monitor/manage in "my world". It would be nice to have a safe environment for all, but that definitely steps on too many rights of others.

Oh man... smoke, cat hair on sweaters, perfume at the symphony/church... they all are things I still have to constantly monitor/manage in "my world". It would be nice to have a safe environment for all, but that definitely steps on too many rights of others.

Yes, but I do not see it as stepping on rights to ban food from classrooms (not lunch rooms) or to ban dogs or perfume in schools or find some other suitable arrangement as in your case. Obviously, not everything can be prevented, which is why a risk analysis, based on current medical knowledge, of some sort would be helpful to schools.

It's not about obesity. It's about food allergies.

I understand that your son was upset and so were you (obviously), but consider this....

How would you or your son feel if he had a life-threatening food allergy and he had to stand by while (for the umpteenth time) everyone else got a cupcake?

Or if your child had a life-threatening allergy to peanuts or dairy that's severe enough that he cannot be in the same room....and have the hands and faces of every child in the class covered with the allergen?

Or if it was your allergic child playing on the playground equipment after all of those kids went to recess?

An allergic child should not eat ANYTHING that is unlabeled because there is no way of knowing what is in it....Peanut oil? Eggs? Milk? Soy (which is is so many foods these days)?

I know the policy seems extreme to you. But there are so many variables to control if there's not a single policy. Teachers forget. Or there's a substitute that day who doesn't know to read the label. Parents forget or don't find out in the first place despite numerous attempts to make sure everyone knows. Ask any parent of a child with a life-threatening food allergy about "the time when" and how challenging it is to get the school to protect their child. Examples from moms of severely allergic children I know personally: A child put peanuts into his diorama on Booker T. Washington and sent another child wheezing to the nurse's office, the class mom made cookies and forgot that so-and-so was allergic to eggs so the kid spent quite a bit of time throwing up in the ER, the substitute teacher didn't know to read the label and a little guy broke out in an itchy rash. So now there has to be a label and the secretary reads it.

Another related note: The school policy is not the fault of the school secretary. I may have misread what you wrote, but it sounds like you took out your frustration on her. She's the gatekeeper because it's her job not because she likes denying cupcakes and birthday celebrations to kids.

Cat

I understand the store bought idea...but...regardless....the label with ingredients shouldnt be an issue. WHY would you allow your child to have the teacher or office check the label if your child is deathly allergic to soy, wheat, eggs, peanuts...etc...??? I would never let my child eat anything brought to them if they had allergies like that!

Well, I personally wouldn't. I'd want to read the label myself. But I'd still need a label.

I purchased some really neat cupcake pans when my first son started school. Had day dreams of baking and bringing in really cool cupcakes for my kids birthdays. So although I was sad about not being to do that I accepted only store bought rule and understood that. Now it's store bought and make sure they don't forget the labels.

Rant over.....

As a parent of a child with severe food allergies to multiple foods, I wish that my son's school would have been more diligent. His food allergies are the main reason we began to homeschool. It can be life or death for a child.

I know it was probably disappointing to you, but just think if an ingredient would have caused a child to have a reaction and a need for an epi-pen and a trip to the emergency room. Some have contact allergies and don't need to ingest the food for a reaction.

I have met so many home school families that began to home school because of their children's food allergies. It was my greatest fear that a severe reaction would happen the 5 months my child attended public school in kindergarten.

Edited by OpenMinded

Guest Tallie

Dog allergies can be fatal if they trigger an asthma attack. I've been in trouble more than once because it's been pet blessing day at church, bring your dog to work day, etc.

:iagree: Basically, the school district doesn't want to be sued by a parent should the child eats something they shouldn't via a class party. As a former schoolteacher, I can share it is confusing (with 30 kids) to keep track of which child is allergic to what unless the parent is really on top of it and reminds me. Many kiddos were good about saying NO to the sweets and eating the item for their diet that was brought from home. However, I have seen 1-2 primary age children who were very tempted by foods that were forbidden. Thank God the parents were there in the classroom during the party -they knew their child needed supervision- that would have been tragic. Food allergies are dangerous.

My son is not allergic -- but is on a low protein diet for his rare liver disease. Thus, we HAVE to also read food labels to see the amounts of protein per serving. No label -- we don't eat it. HTH

Edited by tex-mex

That is frustrating. :( I can understand the needs of those with severe allergies and it seems the right thing to do to cater to the weaker and sick among us, even at the expense of a special treat.

I was thinking that maybe you could do a different birthday-at-school tradition in cooperation with the teacher like bring in a bunch of balloons to bop around and maybe party favor slike those confetti poppers to go nuts with during the last few minutes of school....but one of those kids is probably allergic to the balloon material. lol ;) OK, maybe not, just lightly joking. It would be more unique and maybe start a "safer" trend because I'll be the other kids and even teachers would remember it and be willing to accomodate! (I don't know, though, because I haven't dealt with public school since I went! lol)

It's hard to understand how the allergy thing has exploded so much since we were in school, but you gotta go with the flow. :auto:

well my son has peanut and tree nut allergies and one of those cupcakes could send him to the ER, so I get the policy. I know it's frustrating for parents who don't have allergy kids but it's to keep all kids safe. Sorry the allergy kids ruined your son's birthday. But try to remember that a lot of us could never eat food from Target or any grocery store without potential death. :-(

Our district still allows homemade snacks, plus I was shocked to find out that the default lunch for junior high kids forgetting their lunch money is peanut butter sandwiches.

I've seen no peanut signs on doors so I've been surprised they haven't tightened up the policy.

That is a good question:) I do not believe in banning foods from the lunch room. I like the idea of a peanut/tree nut free table or perhaps, better yet, a table for peanuts and tree nuts:) I do think food should be banned from classrooms though to prevent contamination of the environment there since kids spend most of their time in the classrooms.

Just my 2 cents:)

Our school has a peanut free table and they politely ask that peanut products not be brought into the classroom. Not a day goes by that DD doesn't come home concerned because so-and-so had peanut butter crackers for snack and then sat next to me at circle, or that girl at peanut butter and then touched my lunchbox.....never ending. Her teachers were instructed not to serve anything that had even a cross contamination notice on it. That really limits what they can have.