Menu

Weird food

My dh has asked if I have ever posted what he thinks are my weird food combos.

Such as sugar sprinkled on mac and cheese

tartar sauce for fried potato wedges

mcdonalds fries dipped in soft serve ice cream

I KNOW I am not the only person who does this. Esp the sugar on mac thing. I was in jr high before I learned there were people who didn't eat it that way!

What think the hive?

Care to share?

ETA: it's only when dh makes kraft mac. When I make it from scratch, I don't use sugar. The kids have never done it. It's very rare I have boxed mac in the house, so dh making it for lunch brougt this up.

Edited by Martha

I love tartar sauce on seasoned fries/potatoes. I also like them with ranch dressing.

My mom eats her mac and cheese with ketchup. She used to make us eat it that way at home, too, until we were old enough to revolt. I think it's her way of calling a box of mac & cheese "gourmet".:)

I.

I think mac and cheese is a "weird food" . I have never heard of it, and am not sure exactly what it is, The "boxed" part in particular has me baffled. As for the other things, they don't really classify as food, so whatever you add to them to try to get them down is fine with me!:D

I like mayonnaise on hamburgers and with french fries. Of course, in Canada, the big think is vinegar on fries or fries with gravy.

How about in NZ where people eat white bread covered with fries and gravy? Ketchup on eggs (might not seem weird here, but I was grown up before I heard that anyone does this.)

I've used scallops & ginger in tomato sauces, eaten plain tofu cold, invented a peanut butter, sprout & walnut sandwich (okay, it was weird back then), eaten sandwiches with peanut butter, cheese, raisins & sprouts (I used to be able to eat whatever I wanted to and not gain weight. Emphais on USED to be able...)

I've seen many weird things, but can't even remember them. I've eaten stranger combinations, but can't think of them right now.

I thought of another one. When I was little, I always had to put Fritos inside my sandwich. I really liked the crunch. Of course, now that I'm older, lettuce takes the place of the crunch, and salt and pepper takes care of the salt (obviously :tongue_smilie:). What's interesting about this is that my kids took it upon themselves to do this same thing with potato chips, even though I had never told them about my Frito thing.

Also, when I was growing up, we used to put salt everything just before eating - pizza, watermelon, apples, raw carrots... I don't know if that qualifies as weird or not, but I don't do it anymore.

As to why...

The sugar makes the mac n cheese extra creamy. Without it that boxed stuff makes me feel very parched.

Kind of the same as adding salt to canteloup or watermelon makes it sweeter.

??? So can you taste the sugar? If dd's make mac & cheese any time soon I think I'll try it - creamier sounds good.

And I like salt on watermelon, too, but had never thought to put it on cantaloupe.

My brother always mixed applesauce with his mashed potatoes. :ack2:

I eat salt on watermelon, peanut butter on pancakes, and banana slices on saltine crackers. I dont find any of this to be particularly odd, but I've been told it is.

If you want crazy-weird, you should see some of my fil's concoctions. No joke, he will eat a thick slice of cheddar topped with mayo, mustard, pickles, and peanut butter!

How else would you ever eat those nasty fries McD's has (other then with icecream) ??

I think about the weirdest food combo I can think of from my childhood is something my father does ...

Canned pears, topped with Miracle Whip, and shredded sharp chedder cheese ..... yummmmyyy ... but ... not at all normal ... :tongue_smilie:

Tarter sauce on fries I did too ... when I was in my 20s and working at a Long John Silvers ;)

??? So can you taste the sugar? If dd's make mac & cheese any time soon I think I'll try it - creamier sounds good.

And I like salt on watermelon, too, but had never thought to put it on cantaloupe.

depends.. I just sprinkle a bit on my serving and it's no big deal, maybe a teeny bit sweeter, but it's a cream sweet, iykwim?

Now my dad would put so much on that even hot it stayed grainy instead of melting in. ick.

applesouce on white idaho potatos? Yuck.

BUT applesause, cinnimon, butter, brown sugar on baked sweet potatos/yams is awesome good stuff!

If you want crazy-weird, you should see some of my fil's concoctions. No joke, he will eat a thick slice of cheddar topped with mayo, mustard, pickles, and peanut butter!

The only way I will eat peanutbutter and grape jam (NOT jelly) sandwiches is with a layer of nacho cheese doritos in between there.

Canned pears, topped with Miracle Whip, and shredded sharp chedder cheese

I will never ever forget the first and only time I saw someone get a slice of fresh hot allpe pie and place a thick slice of sharp cheddar cheese on it. :svengo: My uncle said it was one of them there weird yankee customs.:lol:

Is your father Southern? I ask, because this was standard salad fare at my former MIL's house, except they used mayo.

Hmm ... not really ... he came from Missouri ... I don't know where that combo came from though ... He was military before I was born, could have picked it up then I guess ...

My gandmother used to pickle watermelon, and I don't mean the rinds. The pink/red part. Plus other sweet things. Not quite salt on sweet, but since I don't like any pickled foods of any kind, even though I think dill pickles smell yummy (taste doesn't equal the smell there!), it seemed really odd to me.

Peanut butter and pickle sandwich

Peanut butter and lettuce sandwich

Cantaloupe with cracked black pepper

Honeydew melon with fresh lime juice

I have a friend whose family always served maple bars ("long johns" in some parts of the country) whenever they had chili. They were on the table just like cornbread or biscuits would be. They liked to eat a bite of maple bar, and then a bite of chili.

Canned pears, topped with Miracle Whip, and shredded sharp chedder cheese ..... yummmmyyy ... but ... not at all normal ... :tongue_smilie:

I think I'm going to hurl... :ack2:

I will never ever forget the first and only time I saw someone get a slice of fresh hot apple pie and place a thick slice of sharp cheddar cheese on it. :svengo: My uncle said it was one of them there weird yankee customs.:lol:

It must be a New England thing because I don't think of that as weird at all. I don't personally care for the combination but it's not that uncommon where I grew up.

I love making stir fries with vegetables and nut butters (peanut, cashew, almond, etc). Everyone seems to think it's weird but I like it. :D

It must be a New England thing because I don't think of that as weird at all. I don't personally care for the combination but it's not that uncommon where I grew up.

I love making stir fries with vegetables and nut butters (peanut, cashew, almond, etc). Everyone seems to think it's weird but I like it. :D

I remember the apple pie with cheese thing is on the menu in Washington State when I was growing up in the 70's.

The stir fry sounds good -- like Thai peanut sauce! :)

Peanut butter and pickle sandwich

Peanut butter and lettuce sandwich

Cantaloupe with cracked black pepper

Honeydew melon with fresh lime juice

I have a friend whose family always served maple bars ("long johns" in some parts of the country) whenever they had chili. They were on the table just like cornbread or biscuits would be. They liked to eat a bite of maple bar, and then a bite of chili.

I think I'm going to hurl... :ack2:

we do peanut butter and pickle sandwich and add butter. So peanut butter on one slice of bread, butter on the other and pickles in the middle. It is delicious!

What think the hive?

Care to share?

I prefer Wendy's fries with a frosty ;). I like herb cream cheese spreads on a blueberry bagel. My strangest combo...a butter and peanut butter sandwich along side of a bowl of chili...strange, but yummy.

Years (and years) ago when there was just one Marie Callender's restaurant, it had a sign which read, "Apple pie without the cheese is like a kiss without the squeeze."

I like sourdough bread chunks dipped in balsamic vinegar.

Tartar sauce for potato wedges is not weird. My dh always dips his french fries in soft serve ice cream - if we're eating at fast food.

But as to sugar on mac and cheese, I'm not so sure.

I eat onion sandwiches (onions, mayo and pepper). My family thinks that's weird.

I've got to get to bed so I did not read all four pages.

For me the weird combos are:

Bologna and Lays potato chips. The chips have to be Lays or it isn't the same.

Peanut butter and cucumber sandwiches

Fries dipped in a combination of mayo and mustard

I think mac and cheese is a "weird food" . I have never heard of it, and am not sure exactly what it is, The "boxed" part in particular has me baffled. As for the other things, they don't really classify as food, so whatever you add to them to try to get them down is fine with me!:D

:smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:

Peanut butter and pickle sandwiches are about as weird as I get.

Dh eats crackers, mayo and pickles. And every time we eat Mexican, he mixes everything on his plate together.

My dc eat pickles with their scrambled eggs. Or they'll make a pickle omelet. blech