Menu

this is what I found in the bottom of a bag of Jasmine rice...

We are finishing up a large (I think about 15 pound) bag of jasmine rice imported from Thailand. I was pouring the last of the contents of the burlap bag into my Tupperware container, when this thing came tumbling out. I SCREECHED and did a little dance. The girls started laughing hysterically....until they asked if it was real, and I said, "yes" with a smile. I thought it was funny that I was so freaked out. And then PDG started crying and screaming hysterically. She cried for a solid 10 minutes. I had to rock her and hold her until she calmed down.

post-8131-13535083414819_thumb.jpg

post-8131-13535083414819_thumb.jpg

My heart kind of hurts even still looking at it! I have pretty serious arachnophobia. (And I'm generally pretty squeamish about creepy-crawlies in general.)

Yep....the rest is going into the garbage after DH comes home. I don't want it in the house. I KNOW it's an irrational fear, and I'm a HOMESCHOOL MOM for Pete's sake! I'm going to have to get used to this kind of stuff!!!

Is it a spider, or a beetle? I just bought a huge bag of jasmine rice, in a burlap sack. Gulp. What brand did you find that in?

Goodness, I knew I shouldn't have opened this thread! Same thing with the Leg in the Soup thread. But noooooooooo, I just haaaaaaad to look.

Ewwwwwwww!!!!!! Now I'd be worried about some sort of bug eggs growing in my stomach. Okay, I know that's not really possible, but still, my worrying mind could not help but to go there.

:eek:

I never thought of that Christy. I wonder if we should get checked out...we eat A LOT of rice.

Is it a spider, or a beetle? I just bought a huge bag of jasmine rice, in a burlap sack. Gulp. What brand did you find that in?

Goodness, I knew I shouldn't have opened this thread! Same thing with the Leg in the Soup thread. But noooooooooo, I just haaaaaaad to look.

Beetle. Dynasty Brand (we bought the bag at our Air Force base commissary. The bag is that plasticky-burlap (tyvek?)

It is definitely a rhinocerous beetle.

Here's a link:

http://www.naturfoto-cz.de/european-rhinoceros-beetle:oryctes-nasicornis-photo-9675.html

You cannot imagine the excitement in my house at the moment. DS is hoping you find some more.

that's what my boys thought. I never question them when it comes to insect identification.

Oh, shudder! We also eat a lot of rice packed in cloth bags, some Jasmine, but mostly Basmati and I would most definitely have a fit if I found something like that! Ick ick ick!!! I am glad I always wash my rice before I cook it (my Sri Lankan in laws taught me to do this, I guess they must have known about bugs in rice and such), but still, it's pretty gross!

Hey, I was looking them up on wikipedia and saw on a photo there that their eggs look a lot like short grain rice!

Editing to add: Their larva are sometimes fried and eaten. The adults are kept as pets in some places. They are clean, easy to maintain, and safe to handle. Now don't you feel better?

Hey, I was looking them up on wikipedia and saw on a photo there that their eggs look a lot like short grain rice!

Editing to add: Their larva are sometimes fried and eaten. The adults are kept as pets in some places. They are clean, easy to maintain, and safe to handle. Now don't you feel better?

wow! A pet rhino!

Look on the bright side: at least it wasn't a dung beetle. :D:D:D

This is actually VERY comforting. Thank you!

What a marketing ploy: Free dead pet in the bottom of every bag of rice!