Menu

S/O - What curriculum for "baby" homeschoolers?

staceyobu

BJU Grade Kits. :D I would have been lost without the structure that they offer. Everything is planned for me: lesson plans, DVD lessons, worksheets, etc. All I have to do is administer the worksheets and make sure the right lesson is playing - if that's all I want to do.

Now granted, we do tend to go a little further than JUST the BJU lessons. We do a lot of 'unit studies' on our own just because.:)

For newbies like me, BJU is perfect.

I would recommend MFW. It is so well organized and user friendly. It comes with the necessary books for the program, but it utilizes library books for the book basket, making it a very good value. We find it fun to use -- there are a variety of activities that reach different styles of learners. I find that this curriculum keeps me and my children motivated and encouraged. It has been a true blessing to us!

I think it depends on the person and the situation.

Even though I'm a beginner, I would feel totally stifled by a boxed curriculum. Whereas I have a good friend who wants to be told exactly what to do.

I would think that the number and ages of the children, the amount of lead time, the parents' educational philosophy, the child's personality, and the teaching parent's schedule would all be relevant factors.

I think it depends on the person and the situation.

Even though I'm a beginner, I would feel totally stifled by a boxed curriculum. Whereas I have a good friend who wants to be told exactly what to do.

I would think that the number and ages of the children, the amount of lead time, the parents' educational philosophy, the child's personality, and the teaching parent's schedule would all be relevant factors.

:iagree:

The reason we went with BJU was mostly because they were being taught with Abeka in the private school they were in. We looked at Abeka first (to keep it consistent) and found BJU by accident. It came down to quality of the video lessons, and we felt BJU was the more current of the two.

I will say that the boxed curriculum IS stifling at times. However, with the BJU grade kits, you also get the TM, so if you would prefer to teach (instead of the videos), that is an option.

Both of my boys are very...structure oriented. They thrive on schedules and lots of structure. BJU gives them that. :)

For new homeschoolers with young children, I'd highly recommend Five in a Row. Do that while reading up on different philosophies of homeschooling (CM, WTM, etc.).

:iagree: This is exactly what I was going to say. :)

Eek! I'm a scheduler and an over-achiever who thrives on structure, but I would never recommend Abeka and/or BJU to a newbie! They are quite teacher-intensive and require a lot of prep-work and classroom time.

I would give them The Well-Trained Mind. It's what convinced me 1) that I could homeschool and 2) that I could give my children a wonderful education doing so.

That said, if the person wanted everything ready to go in a box, I would recommend Sonlight.

It really depends on the person, how structured they want to be, how confident they are and how they want to homeschool. I have a friend who has been homeschooling for a few years and is still very unsure of herself. Basically, she comes to me for advice on curriculum. Since I know her well, I know what to suggest. She buys it and is happy! If only it were that easy for everyone! When she started, she wanted Christian curriculum and wanted someone else to grade it adn keep records. I suggested Christian Liberty Academy and she used it for 5 years. Then they were bored with it, wanted a change, so I suggested MFW and she's happy again.

Another friend asked me about Abeka. I said it wouldn't go with their family's life-style. She got it anyway (because her dc used it in private school) and...hated it. Why? It's not a good match for her family! LOL

So, my generic advice is to read Cathy Duffy's book on the top pics, because it has a survey to help the parent decide HOW they want to homeschool; then it has curriculum suggestions that will support that.

From personal experience, Five in a Row is easy to implement and easy on a newbie. From what I've seen of others, MFW is, too. If you're super structured and like class-room style materials, a boxed curriculum might suit you best.

I'm taking this from the Abeka thread where someone mentioned recommending Abeka to new homeschoolers. What would you recommend?

My sister gave me some Abeka stuff she had from years ago -- lots of little pieces in labeled envelopes, detailed lesson plans, and so on. The lessons are on the shelf in the basement (never used them), but the little pictures and pieces are in file folders for my twin 3 year olds.

For phonics instruction, Abeka would drive me crazy. It's non-intuitive, or something, I just don't understand how they do it or why they do it so differently from what I'd expect.

If I want to teach phonics, I want just a primer (OPG), not a thousand little pieces of something to sort through, and NOT a bunch of pictures. Reading is reading. I think that Abeka makes simple things complicated. If I want to play a game with my child, I'll get out Candyland!

That said, we do use the Handwriting packet (hey, it was free). My sister had this whole stack of unused Abeka -- after three kids -- if that tells you anything. :tongue_smilie: Most of it will still be unused after my kids are "done" with it.

Edited by Sahamamama

Oh mercy, not that my opinion matters, but I wouldn't start with Abeka or any time-consuming thing first. It's just a fast, fast way to burn out! Some of their stuff is good, but it's good in MODERATION.

To me, the real way to start out, when your kid is 5, is to focus on the BASICS. Pick your math and LA. Do a bang-up job of those. And the lessons you learn as you do those will inform you on how to proceed. See it's not like you're having to start with 6th grade, hehe. All you're doing is teaching K5! K5 is basic math, learning to read, writing their name, and lots of playtime and obedience. THAT'S IT. Everything else is gravy. And any, any, any program you find recommended here will probably do the trick for that math and learning to read. They're all good! So pick the one you're drawn to and consider it a sign. Read to your dc more and stress less. Go to the park more and sweat less. Do more art projects and spend less time researching latin or worrying over history. That's my advice.

We were all baby homeschoolers once. Even people who have taught in school don't find the experience transfers over, except possibly negatively. Homeschooling is its own ball of wax, with its own dynamic. You just have to learn, and you WILL learn. You're going to be FINE! You'll do great at this. You're not going to screw it up. K5 and 1st are the greatest, greatest ages. How I wish for them again. How I LOVED them. Just have fun. Read aloud, do crafts, play games, do music time, do anything and everything you like. Do nothing formal and just things you like. Then in 2nd grade go oops/dang I forgot to teach them such and such (hehe!) and get it done. It will pan out in the wash. :)

Eek! I'm a scheduler and an over-achiever who thrives on structure, but I would never recommend Abeka and/or BJU to a newbie! They are quite teacher-intensive and require a lot of prep-work and classroom time.

I would give them The Well-Trained Mind. It's what convinced me 1) that I could homeschool and 2) that I could give my children a wonderful education doing so.

That said, if the person wanted everything ready to go in a box, I would recommend Sonlight.

I agree. Abeka isn't designed for use by homeschoolers, it's designed for use by public schools. eta: Gah, I meant PRIVATE schools!!! Sometimes my brain doesn't communicate well with my fingers.

I think it's a terrible fit for homeschools but that's JMO, YMMV, etc.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

I'd recommend to a Christian homeschooler to look at Heart of Dakota. It's got a little something for each type of learner. It's easy to do (very open and go). And the helps in the manual help the mom see the purpose for the assignment or activity. After awhile, the mom will have a better idea of the type of learner her children are and what type of teacher she is.

I'm probably still considered a baby homeschooler since we've only been homeschooling for about 10 months but it's very clear in my mind how easy it can be to get overwhelmed starting out. :willy_nilly:

I agree that it depends a lot on how old your kids are, how many kids you have and how comfortable you are with teaching. I would recommend to anyone starting out with young kids:

-Read as much as you can - WTM and other books, forums, blogs - and try to get a feeling for what the options are and which you're most comfortable with (and what will work for your children). Do you want a lot of reading? More hands-on activities? Something different for every subject?

-Start out with just the basics - Math and Language Arts. Get comfortable with that - working it into your life style, keeping a good flow, actually getting things done - and then gradually add in additional subjects that are important to you. This way, hopefully, you can keep from getting overwhelmed and burnt out quickly.

I know for someone who wants a boxed curriculum this may be hard - a lot of money is spent getting the complete package and not using all of it from the start could be rough. I know when I tried to do everything from the beginning it was a real struggle.

It's funny how people's opinions vary--

For me, WTM was perfect, as I had a K'er and a 9th grader.

Especially for elementary/grammar stage, everything is easy to find the right level, pull together, and use. It's mostly "do the next thing," and lesson plans with detailed objectives (like a teacher in a classroom would use) are not necessary.

Think of it--for grade 1, for example--picking one thing recommended--

OPGTR--scripted

FLL--scripted.

Saxon--scripted

SOTW w/AG--open and go, one chapter (roughly) a week, choose an activity, everything is listed that you need, all mapwork and coloring pages and notebooking, right at your fingertips

Kingfisher Science Encyclo--you pick what your kid wants to learn, WTM tells you exactly how to do it

It's so clearly laid out. Follow the plan, but also follow your child. I think it's a wonderful way to go. One year at a time is not overwhelming.

Now, if you look over the materials before you purchase, as any responsible person would do (either virtually or irl--some can't make it to conventions or whatnot), you can at least TRY to match to your style of teaching and your kid's style of learning. Yes, it's work. But it's so much more doable than some think.

Step by step. Tweak as necessary. Give it time/don't switch because of panic, but don't stay with something that is giving you hives, so to speak.

The problem with curriculum in a box is that kids tend to be all over the place in skills--if you can tweak really well if needed, then box can work. If not, then using what you know and what info you gather thru assessments (observations, tests, feedback from child) can help you piece together something, using WTM as a framework.

Generally, the intent of a boxed curriculum to newbies is to assure them they can cover the basics. Come on...remember when you were worried whether or not you could teach everything? Remember when you worried about socialization? The box gets the job done and then allows the new teacher the time to find their style and Confidence.

The first time I read WTM I was thrilled b/c it defined who I had been growing into as an educator. If I would have read that in my first year, I would have cried many tears and felt very defeated.

As much as I am Not a box schooler now, I would have appreciated having everything in one place so I could grow into my place as a teacher.

I haven't used Abeka myself but have had friends use it. I would think it would be overwhelming for a newbie. Personally, I would recommend Heart of Dakota or My Father's World - much more homeschool user friendly!

I HIGHLY recommend Heart of Dakota for baby and veteran homeschoolers alike!

If you're starting with K-1st, I totally agree with just focusing on the basics. Get them reading (OPGTR, 100EZ, The Reading Lesson, ETC are some favorites on the board) and add in the other two "R's."

I'd recommend

Math Mammoth

First Language Lessons

and Handwriting Without Tears

Fill in the rest of your time with field trips and good library books that include bits of history and science.

Well, not Abeka! I always suggest they read TWTM too.

I TOTALLY agree. I did abeka and HATED it. Not because it was hard, but it barely scratched the surface! The early grades I just printed off the grade appropriate scope and sequence from worldbook.com (typical course study) and followed that, when we were done with that I got the next. My first grader easily did 1st and 2nd grades in 1st grade and during that time I really looked into curriculum and learned her learning style to see what worked best!

I bought abeka because I had heard it was "the best" I hated it. We are doing more "off brand" school and they are doing SOOOO much better than they ever could with Abeka! look at my sig if you need ideas! Let me know if you have any questions what any of it is!

A boxed program the first year. Definitely. That could be a traditional publisher like Abeka, Calvert, or BJU, or something like Sonlight where everything is integrated with a schedule. But trying to 'do your own thing' right off the bat is incredibly stressful. Even with WTM.

I have to respectfully disagree with this, personally. :blush: Most kids dont do well put into a box and that is what the premade boxed curricula do. Some are faster and certain things and some are slower. And kindergarten and first grade for the most part are discovery learning. It is so fun to put away the curriculum and just teach, through hands on, nature, real books, non fiction from the library! Get manipulatives for math! Get them WANTING to learn first! Boxed curricula can get frustrating for early learners!

I have to respectfully disagree with this, personally. :blush: Most kids don't do well put into a box and that is what the premade boxed curricula do. Some are faster and certain things and some are slower. And kindergarten and first grade for the most part are discovery learning. It is so fun to put away the curriculum and just teach, through hands on, nature, real books, non fiction from the library! Get manipulatives for math! Get them WANTING to learn first! Boxed curricula can get frustrating for early learners!

Yep! I get so much joy in just sitting and reading, teaching a math lesson, drawing with my child. You want them to want to learn---ignite the fire. IMHO, a boxed curriculum won't do this for you. Listen to your children and see what their interests are. That could be a starting point for you, and save you money in the long run.

I'm taking this from the Abeka thread where someone mentioned recommending Abeka to new homeschoolers. What would you recommend?

I'd recommend reading WTM, and then finding teaching aids (programs, books, whatever will help you teach) to teach basic skills talked about in WTM: math, grammar, spelling, how to read, writing. And then I'd recommend getting as many library cards as there are people in your family, and using them regularly and fully.

I read WTM as a beginner homeschooler, and it *was* my "boxed curriculum." It told me what to do, when, and how, and it told me what resources would help me teach these things. It, and these forums, taught me how to adapt all that info. to our own situation, too. They also taught me how to teach some more advanced skills (like thinking through a science experiment or drawing connections between historical events or how to talk about a book's ideas) beyond what I mentioned above. It's very flexible, and that appealed to me because I started off homeschooling so we could have time for reading, family, and flexibility in learning.

A boxed program the first year. Definitely. That could be a traditional publisher like Abeka, Calvert, or BJU, or something like Sonlight where everything is integrated with a schedule. But trying to 'do your own thing' right off the bat is incredibly stressful. Even with WTM.

Oh, man...If I'd tried to do school-in-a-box from *anywhere* the first year we hsed, it would have been a disaster. Also, for those of us who started in the early 80s, it was almost impossible to find school-in-a-box, other than Calvert and CLASS. Most of us managed to pull it off anyway.:)

I have sucessfully homeschooled my son using Abeka K5. It wasn't teacher intensive at all. It took us 45 minutes and sometime 1 hour and half for two lessons a day. I had plenty of time for field trips and other fun things. Boxed curriculum can get the job done.

I dislike Abeka. I think it's academically weak, and overpriced. CLE is even easier to implement (especially for newbies) AND is a stronger program academically. Not to mention, it's significantly cheaper.

Now this is not to say that Abeka doesn't have good components. I like their arts & crafts books.

Generally, the intent of a boxed curriculum to newbies is to assure them they can cover the basics. Come on...remember when you were worried whether or not you could teach everything? Remember when you worried about socialization? The box gets the job done and then allows the new teacher the time to find their style and Confidence.

The first time I read WTM I was thrilled b/c it defined who I had been growing into as an educator. If I would have read that in my first year, I would have cried many tears and felt very defeated.

As much as I am Not a box schooler now, I would have appreciated having everything in one place so I could grow into my place as a teacher.

This! I bought Sonlight my first year and once I understood the IG, things went well. (I had anxiety when I opened it the first few times because it looked very different from anything I had ever seen.) That first year helped me to figure out what I could do, what I couldn't, what I was good at and what I could skip because buying the curriculum wasn't getting it "done". :tongue_smilie:I built confidence and we had a great first year. Everyone learned and was happy.

This year, I piecemealed SL's history, readers and readalouds and took their suggestion of Sequential Spelling. We kept our math and farmed out science to the co op. I read The Well Trained Mind and wrapped my brain around it. I also ditched SL's LA in favor of FLL and WWE.

I couldn't have done all of this my first year. I needed time to understand what our choices were and what was a good fit for us, and that takes time. I have a master's degree and have taught at the college level (graduate students), but I had horrible anxiety about teaching my kindy and second grader.:tongue_smilie: Having an open and go curriculum allowed me to find my groove...which happened about yesterday, I think.:D

Definitely would recommend WTM....wish I had read it sooner!! Instead, I listened to a few veteran homeschoolers. They happened to be big fans of Abeka and heavily pushed it on me. I bought the whole package and HATED it. Passionately. So, I would tell a newbie to read up on different styles, read message boards, go to a homeschool convention, and research before jumping in and purchasing a boxed curriculum like Abeka!!

I always point to the WTM and OPG for reading. When I am asked what I use for teaching reading after they listen to my children reading or see them helping me at the grocery store, etc. I point to OPG first as a way for them to use phonics with their struggling students who are stuck with sight word memorization in the local ps. If I meet a parent interested in home education or even adding to what they are doing in ps or private I recommend WTM and lend them one of mine (I have 3:001_huh:) to read for ideas and inspiration.

I agree that all A Beka would be a bit much for new homeschoolers.

I find with the homeschoolers I know IRL that we start out eclectic and gravitate more and more toward A Beka, BJU, etc. as dc get older, instead of the other way around.

For a newbie, it would totally depend on the ages, the mom's competence, and the situation. I would not make a blanket recommendation for all new homeschoolers.

THAT! Though I'd research your philosophy on homeschool methodologies before fully committing. We love Sonlight, but read through their 27 Reasons not to Buy before buying! :tongue_smilie:

I would NOT recommend A Beka - we left the private school BECAUSE of A Beka!

Regardless of which way you go, I think it is helpful to find reviews of whatever products you are considering. Many of them provide insightful pros and cons from parents who have already been there and done that.

For "baby" homeschoolers with young kids, I always recommend Five in a Row plus math of your choice. FIAR is terrific for baby homeschoolers. It helps you to relax and get comfortable with your new role as teacher + mom. It is great for helping you learning to use resources and incorporate art and literature into your week. For older kids, I generally recommend Sonlight or OM. For baby home schoolers with high school kids, it is a long discussion.

And if you're looking for curriculum specifically for littles, here's a new one by a lady I happen to know. She just told me that she's going to be at the hs convention coming up in Cincy. I don't see examples of book lists, etc. at her very new website, but she told me she has everything needed listed, from books to supplies, etc. for birth through age 5:

http://www.floweringbaby.com

I would almost recommend anything BUT Abeka....all the homeschool moms I know who have used it are burnt out and enslaved. :tongue_smilie: Can only imagine how the kids are doing?

I love to encourage new homeschoolers, but 'anything besides ABEKA' would be my first advice :D