Menu

Migraines - pain relief specifically

If you get migraines, what do you do for pain. Over the last 6 months I have developed an allergy to advil (so all nsaids are out) & more recently, tylenol. I am unable to take triptans because of a cardiovascular issue so what options are left?

I'm feeling a little panicked about it. I'm meeting with a neuro soon to discuss new preventatives but until then....

Karen

Caffeine usually helps my migraines. I drink a Diet Coke with 2 excedrins. If you can't take Excedrin, try a cup of coffee or pop. I hope you get to see your neuro soon. I remember being so scared of having a migraine when I was pregnant because I knew I couldn't take anything that would help. I hope you don't get one until you have a plan!

Well over the counter pain relievers never worked for my migraines, so welcome to my world.

As for caffeine, if you get them frequently, caffeine is a really bad idea because it'll cause them even more frequently. My neurologist would rip into me if I took caffeine for a migraine, regardless of whether it causes temporary relief.

Have you tried Imitrex shots?

This may sound odd, but I've found that pressure on my head helps. I'll lay down, turn my head to the side, put a pillow on the side of my head and put a heavy book, like the phone book, on the pillow. Otherwise, I just clutch my head and squeeze as long as possible. Could you use BC Powder? That helps me sometimes. I get some migraines, though, where nothing seems to help except keeping my eyes closed and alternating between squeezing the back of my neck and squeezing my head.

Laugh all you want, I know it sounds funny.

This may sound odd, but I've found that pressure on my head helps. I'll lay down, turn my head to the side, put a pillow on the side of my head and put a heavy book, like the phone book, on the pillow. Otherwise, I just clutch my head and squeeze as long as possible. Could you use BC Powder? That helps me sometimes. I get some migraines, though, where nothing seems to help except keeping my eyes closed and alternating between squeezing the back of my neck and squeezing my head.

Laugh all you want, I know it sounds funny.

I know what you mean. The problem is when I let go, it all comes back.

This is going to sound completely crazy, but after years of *daily* headaches (many of which were migraines) & no success with medications, I finally found a solution. Last fall my Neurosurgeon referred me to a plastic surgeon for Botox for my migraines. I had my first injections last month and have been about completely headache-free ever since (excluding the HA I got with the flu a couple weeks ago). It's somewhat expensive & not covered by insurance, but if you're desperate enough, it's SO worth it. I paid $600. for 50 cc's & it's supposed to last anywhere from 6 weeks to 3 months. In a larger city, I'm sure it'd be cheaper.

I'll have my 6-week follow-up with the plastic surgeon in a couple of weeks, at which time we'll be discussing a brow lift. Essentially the botox freezes the muscles which compress the nerves causing the migraine - the brow lift is to cut the muscles away to bring permanent relief. You can Google "Botox for migraines" if you want more info, they've been doing it for quite awhile now. I'm just thankful that I finally found something that works!

caffeine cautiously because sometimes it makes it better and sometimes it makes it worse, much worse.

I can't try Imitrex because it's a triptan and I can ever take triptans again (cardiac side effects).

I'll look into the botox. They're usually cyclical but I've had 5 this month and only 2 were related to my cycle.

Has anyone tried acupuncture? Topamax?

Thanks so much,

karen

with an nsaid allergy.

I posted a reply but it didn't show up so I apologize if this is a duplicate. I've taken fish oil & magnesium for years but haven't noticed any real difference.

I also went gluten-free and use low-dose progesterone cream. I can't seem to stop them but need a way to treat them.

Anyone try acupuncture or topamax?

Topamax can make you feel like a zombie and be extremely sleepy. It never did anything for the pain.

When I get a migraine, mine are usually the ones that need the dark room, silence and sleep. I actually take a bi-polar drug, Seroquel for my HA. It knocks me out, but once I wake up I am pain free and raring to go.

I take topamax for migraines. Before starting the topamax I was having migraines 3-4 times a week. The topamax has been amazing. I take 75 mgs a day. There are some irritating side effects. Occasionally my hands or face tingles, although that's decreased with time. I can't drink carbonated drinks anymore, they all taste flat to me. The taste of some foods has changed. But all of that was SO WORTH IT! I've gotten almost complete relief from my migraines. The worst part is since I don't have health insurance it costs 180 dollars a month, which is a struggle for me since I have returned to school.

Nothing else worked for me.

What has helped some for me in the non-medication arena:

Neck/shoulder massages (DH is the BEST, but I have a massage pillow thing too).

Icy hot type of topical gels on the neck/shoulder/temple areas.

Do you know your triggers well? Treating those helps me. Food is one, so I eat regularly. Any sinus congestion can trigger a migraine for me so I am quick to take Sudafed or other measures to control sinus congestion. Bright light bothers me so I am obsessive with my sunglasses.

Extra calcium sometimes helps me if my diet has been lacking. And homeopathic PMS formula helps my cyclic migraines with menses.

I was given the botox in a couple different neck muscles 2 wks ago--these muscles are in such spasm they create migraines. The botox has not worked for me so far--I ended up with 2 migraines in a week, after the botox!! My dr thought it might take a couple treatments since my muscles are so extremely tight. Good luck in your search! I know that those darn migraines are not fun!!!:grouphug:

I was given the botox in a couple different neck muscles 2 wks ago--these muscles are in such spasm they create migraines. The botox has not worked for me so far--I ended up with 2 migraines in a week, after the botox!! My dr thought it might take a couple treatments since my muscles are so extremely tight. Good luck in your search! I know that those darn migraines are not fun!!!:grouphug:

Are you sure you don't have migraines and muscle tightness as two separate things? A migraine is a brain event that includes malfunctioning blood vessels in the brain, and muscle tightness tends to cause tension headaches but not migraine events.

Before I was "elevated" to Imitrex Shots, which you can't use, I was on Midrin. It was effective for many of my incidents.

I also found that taking prenatal vitamins have cut mine substantially if I take them regularly, but the real help was an antidepressant, Cymbalta. My Neurologist said in some cases they can work. And, in mine they did.

We tried Topomax originally, but it left me in daze and unable to form complete sentences -- at times, I felt completely disoriented. As a professor who lectures for classes of 200, that was NOT a good side effect :lol:.

I feel for you...I can't imagine not having my Imitrex shots to cut the pain instantly! Several years ago, I was in the hospital for 2 days on Demerol b/c the pain was so severe...I was actually suicidal from the agony. Luckily, I've never had that severe of one again! :o

My neuro thought initially that my headaches were creating my muscle spasms but after 15 months of working with me he is now confident that my spasms create the migraine. I am being treated for a severe, constant muscle spasm in my neck from an auto accident. There are times that my muscle spasm gets even tighter and I can follow the tightness from my neck all the way around my right ear and to my right eye. When I feel that muscle tightening getting worse, I know that a 3-4 day migraine is coming.....:ack2: I have been to chiros, pt, had an epidural, tried electrical stimulation,magnesium oil, various muscle relaxers and migraine drugs....botox was my final option. It has only been 2 wks, so I am still hopeful that it will relax this muscle even a little....baby steps right now would be awesome!!!

Topamax can make you feel like a zombie and be extremely sleepy. It never did anything for the pain.

When I get a migraine, mine are usually the ones that need the dark room, silence and sleep. I actually take a bi-polar drug, Seroquel for my HA. It knocks me out, but once I wake up I am pain free and raring to go.

Wow, I am bi-polar and I take seroquel and it has never prevented my headaches or cured them once they are here. Of course, it doesn't knock me out either. I also take two other mood stablizers/seizure meds that are supposed to help with migraines that haven't made much difference either. Pain medication doesn't touch them so I pretty much just have to suffer. It didn't used to be a big deal because I would get one every six months to a year but now I get one just about every month. I am on day two of one right now. I went to chiro and message therapist today and that didn't help either. I have a terrible cold/sinus issue on top of that and I am miserable right now.

If you get migraines, what do you do for pain. Over the last 6 months I have developed an allergy to advil (so all nsaids are out) & more recently, tylenol. I am unable to take triptans because of a cardiovascular issue so what options are left?

I'm feeling a little panicked about it. I'm meeting with a neuro soon to discuss new preventatives but until then....

Karen

Take two Excedrine Migraine tablets with a huge glass of water, close yourself in a COLD, dark room (open a window) pull the covers over your head and sleep. It's the ONLY thing that works for me, including my migraine prescription. I never take it--- doesn't seem to work as well as the excedrine.

Hope you're feeling better soon! Have you identified your triggers?

astrid

I take demerol with phenergan at night so that I can sleep and demerol with zophran during the day so that I can function. I always use an ice pack. I have tied them onto my head before to get through a day. I live in sunglasses and carry a trash can to puke in.

But if I had to pick one, it would be the ice pack that saves me.

I can't take triptan either because of Mitral valve prolaspe. I actually had a nuerologist tell me one time that the incident of cardiovascualar deaths were low, like 10 to 20% on triptans and that was a safe percentage.

Uh....yeah....like I am not always the one who is in the low percents for any bad thing to happen. No way am I taking a chance. So, I am eating organic and I take hormonal balancing herbs from Radiantwonder.com

I have gone from 12 a month to about 4 or 5. and the intensity has lessened from a 24-72 hour period to about a 12 to 24. I take superfertility 2 and 4 (hey, I can dream can't I? you should pray for me to conceive!). Seriously, they work great and I have almost zero hot flashes anymore and I started having them at 31 or so. Appalling.:glare:

Karen,

I am so sorry that you are in so much pain with migraines. I battled them for years, though more infrequent than yours it seems.

After trying lots of solutions, I'm happy to say that I haven't had ONE migraine since seeing a unique kind of upper-cervical chiropractor. All other pain is gone too, and it's been amazing.

If you are still in NH as your name says, please feel free to pm me for details since it's where I go for appts. I don't get a nickel for referring you ;) but I just couldn't resist telling you since it's been remarkable for me AND for a close friend who has dealt with chronic pain that has been debilitating. And the idea that you may be nearby to this unusual approach. I can give you a website too that explains the general technique.

1500mg of calcium a day was the best thing for mine. A gynecologist recommended it when I said I was looking for a more natural approach to preventing and treating mine. I didn't notice as much change immediately, but by the 3rd month mine were almost completely gone and calcium was the only thing I changed. Even now if I slackoff onmy calcium my migraines will return. I also make certain I am well hydrated and not eating anything that triggers mine - like MSG, excessive salt, dairy, and so on.

Try magnesium and calcium supplements since they help relax muscles. Also and I might be wrong here but you can't take Excedrin but can you take Excedrin PM? I had a VERY bad reaction to Excedrin Migraine over the summer but Excedrin PM works like a charm. The PM version has different ingredients to the regular Excedrin so it might be worth checking it out.

with an nsaid allergy.

I posted a reply but it didn't show up so I apologize if this is a duplicate. I've taken fish oil & magnesium for years but haven't noticed any real difference.

I also went gluten-free and use low-dose progesterone cream. I can't seem to stop them but need a way to treat them.

Anyone try acupuncture or topamax?

I've used Topamax and found the side effects to be a problem. It is great for weight loss though. I couldn't keep on any weight when I took it. It made me very edgy and 'out of it' though--not worth it. I posted another reply about Periactin (Cyproheptadine - an antihistamine) and the success I've have with it.

all your suggestions. I now have some questions for the neuro and I may ask my primary care for the Periactin since I can get into her much earlier than the neuro.

I've had migraines for years & years but as drug options keep getting eliminated, it can be a bit anxiety-producing. My migraines are the ones that people get and still function - I'm in bed, dark room, in intense pain until they're over. Fiorcet used to sometimes work but since it contains tylenol, it's out. Triptans are out. Excedrin is out. In the past, my doc gave me a percocet to try but I found it just made me sleepy and didn't help at all. I'll also have to ask about the midrin/cardio effects since it's a vasocontrictor.

Anyway, thank you again. Hopefully, something will work!

karen

Well over the counter pain relievers never worked for my migraines, so welcome to my world.

As for caffeine, if you get them frequently, caffeine is a really bad idea because it'll cause them even more frequently. My neurologist would rip into me if I took caffeine for a migraine, regardless of whether it causes temporary relief.

Have you tried Imitrex shots?

I can back up the caffeine problem. I was using advil and caffeine to deal with migraines and they would work for temporary relief, but according to the neuro they were causing rebound headaches. It was hard to give them up, but he was right. For ordinary headaches they seem to be fine, but I think if you're dealing with serious migraine issues, the OTC pain meds and caffeine can cause a cyclical problem and make them more frequent. That has been my experience.

Edited by homeschoolally

Have had migraines since I was 16, usually 6-10 a month. First tried Topamax about four years ago and was migraine free for a whole year. First time since I was a teenager I left the house without making sure I had plenty of migraine meds on hand, in my car, etc etc. I did have some 'word-finding' issues but it was managable even though I worked a stressful job dealing with patients, was just honest with them if I was having a particularly difficult time coming up with the right word. Although I rarely drink soft drinks, they did taste terrible, but again, as others have said, it does have a great side effect of weight loss. Never had problems with fingers tingling or any other side effects. After a year, my migraines did return, but only about three a month and they are much less severe, and managed with a much lower dose of medicine. I also have less problems with word finding, etc..

I've had migraines since I was three. I used to get them quite frequently, but now maybe once a year at most.....usually following a stressful event. The only thing that helps the pain for me is HOT, HOT, HOT compresses...like as hot as I can stand it. So, I usually put a hot rag over my forehead and eyes. Pressure seems to help to (as a previous poster mentioned). My grandpa used to squeeze my head starting at the temples and squeezing upward (if that makes any sense) when I was little....ahhh, that felt so good. Other than that, I lay in a dark, quite room with loose clothes on and a bucket nearby:) I usually take Excedrin, but i'm not sure what type of effect it has since I am usually throwing up when I get migraines. :001_huh:

Karen

So, you're allergic to everything on this list then? Advil isn't the only NSAID out there.

Aspirin (Anacin, Ascriptin, Bayer, Bufferin, Ecotrin, Excedrin)

Choline and magnesium salicylates (CMT, Tricosal, Trilisate)

Choline salicylate (Arthropan)

Celecoxib (Celebrex)

Diclofenac potassium (Cataflam)

Diclofenac sodium (Voltaren, Voltaren XR)

Diclofenac sodium with misoprostol (Arthrotec)

Diflunisal (Dolobid)

Etodolac (Lodine, Lodine XL)

Fenoprofen calcium (Nalfon)

Flurbiprofen (Ansaid)

Ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin, Motrin IB, Nuprin)

Indomethacin (Indocin, Indocin SR)

Ketoprofen (Actron, Orudis, Orudis KT, Oruvail)

Magnesium salicylate (Arthritab, Bayer Select, Doan's Pills, Magan, Mobidin, Mobogesic)

Meclofenamate sodium (Meclomen)

Mefenamic acid (Ponstel)

Meloxicam (Mobic)

Nabumetone (Relafen)

Naproxen (Naprosyn, Naprelan*)

Naproxen sodium (Aleve, Anaprox)

Oxaprozin (Daypro)

Piroxicam (Feldene)

Rofecoxib (Vioxx)

Salsalate (Amigesic, Anaflex 750, Disalcid, Marthritic, Mono-Gesic, Salflex, Salsitab)

Sodium salicylate (various generics)

Sulindac (Clinoril)

Tolmetin sodium (Tolectin)

Valdecoxib (Bextra)

Note: Some products, such as Excedrin, are combination drugs (Excedrin is acetaminophen, aspirin, and caffeine).

Note that acetaminophen (Paracetamol; Tylenol) is not on this list. Acetaminophen belongs to a class of drugs called analgesics (pain relievers) and antipyretics (fever reducers). The exact mechanism of action of acetaminophen is not known. Acetaminophen relieves pain by elevating the pain threshold, that is, by requiring a greater amount of pain to develop before it is felt by a person. It reduces fever through its action on the heat-regulating center of the brain. Specifically, it tells the center to lower the body's temperature when the temperature is elevated. Acetaminophen relieves pain in mild arthritis but has no effect on the underlying inflammation, redness and swelling of the joint.

Paracetamol, unlike other common analgesics such as aspirin and ibuprofen, has no anti-inflammatory properties, and so it is not a member of the class of drugs known as non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs or NSAIDs.

(Vioxx and Bextra have since come off the market, but this was the first complete list I found - Celebrex is still on the market)

NSAIDs are bound into classes. When a person is knocked out of one class, it is normal for the doctor to simply try a drug from another class. The only reason I know this is because, at one point in my life, I was systematically knocked out of every class except for the cox-2 inhibitors.

The classes look like this:

Drugs List of all NSAIDs by Class

NSAIDs that are Salicylates

 Salicylamide

 Salicyl salicylate

 Methyl salicylate

 Magnesium salicylate

 Faislamine

 Ethenzamide

 Diflunisal

 Choline magnesium salicylate

 Benorylate/Benorilate

 Amoxiprin

 Acetylsalicylic acid (Aspirin)

NSAIDS that are Arylalkanoic acids

 Aceclofenac

 Acemetacin

 Alclofenac

 Bromfenac

 Diclofenac

 Etodolac

 Indometacin

 Nabumetone

 Oxametacin

 Proglumetacin

 Sulindac

 Tolmetin

NSAIDs that are 2-Arylpropionic acids (profens) (this would be the class you were knocked out of)

 Alminoprofen

 Benoxaprofen

 Carprofen

 Dexibuprofen

 Dexketoprofen

 Fenbufen

 Fenoprofen

 Flunoxaprofen

 Flurbiprofen

 Ibuprofen

 Ibuproxam

 Indoprofen

 Ketoprofen (Actron, at least, has been withdrawn from the market.)

 Ketorolac

 Loxoprofen

 Naproxen

 Oxaprozin

 Pirprofen

 Suprofen

 Tiaprofenic acid

NSAIDS that are N-Arylanthranilic acids (fenamic acids)

 Mefenamic acid

 Flufenamic acid

 Meclofenamic acid

 Tolfenamic acid

NSAIDs that are Pyrazolidine derivatives

 Ampyrone

 Azapropazone

 Clofezone

 Kebuzone

 Metamizole

 Mofebutazone

 Oxyphenbutazone

 Phenazone

 Phenylbutazone

 Phenylbutazone

 Sulfinpyrazone

NSAIDs that are Oxicams

 Droxicam

 Lornoxicam

 Meloxicam

 Piroxicam

 Tenoxicam

NSAID COX-2 inhibitors

 Valdecoxib (withdrawn from market])

 Rofecoxib (withdrawn from market)

 Parecoxib (FDA withdrawn)

 Lumiracoxib TGA cancelled registration

 Etoricoxib (FDA withdrawn)

 Celecoxib (FDA alert [1])

HTH

a

positive for an allergy to ibuprofen after a reaction. My doctor said that I could no longer take any drug in the same family as ibuprofen so nsaids were out. If that's incorrect information, I'd be thrilled.

I couldn't take ibuprofen but my doctor checked and Excedrin PM doesn't have ibuprofen in it. Check again with your doctor what it is that makes you react.

The best thing for me is to take something to makes me sleep. The "pain" medicines just do not have any effect - sleep is what helps me.

During the day when I have a migraine, I take Alka Seltzer Cold Medicine. It clears my head (I'm always congested, so that's a nice "bonus") and it knocks me out. But not in a "dead to the world" kind of sleep, so I can still function if the kids need something. (Migraine days are mom-is-out-of-order days - kids are used to the routine by now).

Nighttime, I take NyQuil. DH is on kid-duty that night, and I take it around 8pm and drift off blissfully to sleep.

This is the only medicine I take - and I get a migraine once or twice a month, usually.

Once I've slept away nearly 24 hours, I usually wake up bright eyed and ready to go - and usually feel better than my normal because I'm all caught up on my sleep, lol.

The calcium/magnesium helped me out a lot over the summer, but it lost its effectiveness after a few months.

Also - I found out that I have elevated blood pressure, and since bringing that down (just by cutting back on the evil Dr Pepper and watching my sodium intake) - I haven't (knock on wood) had a migraine in 6 weeks. I'm hopeful...

Sorry to hear about the migraines. Do you know what is causing them? I suffered with headaches and migraines for several years. I too was unable to take tryptophans due to a condition. Ice packs help, NSAID's did not help, nor did several preventative medications including Topomax. I had too many side effects so ended up unable to take any of them. I use chiropractic care and therapeutic massage to help ward them off. AND the biggie, I found out I had a severe case TMJ syndrome. I had no idea my jaw was off. After getting treatment by a dentist which specializes in TMJ treatment (with no surgery), the head aches have been reduced to a few times a month. And those headaches are menstrual migraines. If you want to check out my dentists website it's http://www.crainiocare.com. Hope you find relief soon.

• 4 weeks later...

I went to my neurologist again today. I have an impending migraine on the horizon.....my neck/shoulder muscles are tightening, jaw muscles are tightening, muscles on my skull are tightening.....neurologist explained to me today that on occasion my constant muscle spasms cause a nerve to start overloading and it sends pain signals to my brain--which results in the horrendous migraine.......today he decided to give me a nerve block--right at the base of the skull on my right side---where i have a lot of pain to the touch. I think the nerve block is working so far--on my right side of my head it feels a little tingly--not quite numb--almost like when your foot falls asleep....he also gave me a few more botox injections in the extremely tight neck muscles on the right--hopefully between the nerve block and botox--there will be no migraine!! There was a small amount of pain with the nerve block--the botox injections were AWFUL today---holy moly guacamole!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dr said that was because my muscle was already tight and fired up and my muscle did not appreciate any intruders (needle/botox).......more pain to try to get rid of pain!!

I am feeling really strange.....hard to explain--kind of tired, feel like crying (which is very unusual), feeling like i will fall over when i stand....

Here is to staying positive that the nerve block/botox combo will be what works for me to get rid of spasms and migraines!!Here is to migraine sufferers everywhere that you are finding what works for your body to get rid of your migraines!!:cheers2:

I have not read all the responses. OTC's do not work for me, nor do things like Imitrix. I take Indocin, which is actually an arthritis drug. I first took suppositories (fun) but now take it orally. With a pot of hot tea. It can lower my blood pressure and make me sleepy, but not always, but it is highly effective.

Antidepressants can help prevent migraines. I have taken elavil with success but was tired all the time and gained weight. I have suffered with migraines for 30 years, but they have gotten worse lately. I take a compounded oral progesterone and I had no migraines this month. You may want to figure out when they occur and if it is hormonal, you may be able to take a bio-identical one.

Good luck! I really feel for you.