Menu

Who am I rooting for?  

1. 1. Who am I rooting for?

I do not like sports. I especially do not like sports that cause brain injuries. I do not watch them on TV. I do not watch them on the internet. I do not follow them in papers.

I do occasionally throw a football at a park. And it is a slippery slope from there, my friends! For that is how it came to be that I am doing something I never ever in a hundred million years would have believed I would do if it was not happening before my very own eyes.

I am hosting a Superbowl party.

Naturally the people coming want to know who I am rooting for. But I do not follow any teams of any type, except First Lego League. I had to Google "Superbowl" to know what the options are.

So help me, oh wise ones. Who am I rooting for?

Edited by dragons in the flower bed

I am hosting a Superbowl party.

Oh, I don't watch baseball either. I voted for the first in alphabetical order.

:001_huh: :tongue_smilie: :D

I don't watch sports either, and would have had to Google to see who was playing as well. But I *am rather sure that the Superbowl is a FOOTball game, not a BASEball game.

Right? :D

Oh, I don't watch baseball either. I voted for the first in alphabetical order.

:lol::lol:

As far as who to root for, I haven't decided who to root for either. The Saints have never won a superbowl so I'm thinking they will get my vote. Where I live I'm pretty sure it's a sin not to root for the Colts as their QB (Peyton Manning) is THE man in the eyes of many in the state. He played for the U of Tennessee. I'm not a UT fan, but Manning is a good guy.

I'm going for the Saints.

I was undecided but leaning towards the Saints (please don't tell Janna ;)), and then I found out our friends (who are hosting the party) are going for the Colts, so that sealed it. I think it's more fun if people aren't all rooting for the same team (unless it's the Green Bay Packers, but I digress).

We host our entire youth group for the Superbowl every year. It's the only time I invite members of the congregation to the house--and I love it, because they all bring food, they don't care if the house is spotless, they fill the house with tons of energy (40 kids will do that), and so on...

I'm rooting for the Colts b/c I really like Peyton Manning. I won't care if the Saints win, tho.

Have fun!

We used to get together with friends and talk through the game and watch the commercials. It's like backwards living for a day. Besides the Superbowl just means the Daytona 500 is not far behind. :D

We're cheering for the Colts, married to a native Hoosier, its mandatory.

I know someone who has an Oscars party, instead. They all fill out ballots with their votes for the winners in each category, and people get prizes if they're right. They have formulas worked out for how to tell which one the Academy will pick. It's a hoot.

Let's see:

Colts, a team that snuck out of Baltimore in the dead-of-night in an act of utter betrayal.

or

Saints, a team that represents the hopes of a city nearly destroyed in a hurricane that against improbable odds is offing hope to the still-beleaguered citizens of New Orleans

I'll have to go with Colts :D

No, No...Saints.

Bill (could care less :tongue_smilie:)

.... that against improbable odds is offing hope

oh, dear- I hope not!!! :ohmy:

:lol:

and while I would normally agree that the switching-teams-during-the-game/simultaneous cheering schtick sounds right up my alley, I am cheesy enough to pick the Saints for the lone reason of liking the phonetic spelling of Geaux in this case. :D

Truly, I have no idea what you're asking.

Well, she mentioned football. And the Super Bowl. You've probably at least heard of both of those, in passing (ha! no pun intended).

Once again I thank my lucky stars that dh does not follow sport AT. ALL.

Mine doesn't, either. He likes watching skiing and soccer, when he has the opportunity, but I'm into watching sports far more than he is.

Other. You are rooting for everyone to have a great time at your party.

OOh, good answer!

Sadly there is only one football fan attending. The rest of us felt like we should do something nice for him. So I am rooting for most of us to get through the whole game and for it to go off without any digs or snark or comparisons to dog fighting.

Let's see:

Colts, a team that snuck out of Baltimore in the dead-of-night in an act of utter betrayal.

or

Saints, a team that represents the hopes of a city nearly destroyed in a hurricane that against improbable odds is offing hope to the still-beleaguered citizens of New Orleans

I'll have to go with Colts :D

No, No...Saints.

Bill (could care less :tongue_smilie:)

If I were in your position, I would take the moral high road and go for the saints.

In my case, I don't follow sports, either, and I lived in the PNW for 20 years before I could remember which sport went with which team, Mariners and Seahawks. (I'm sorry, Crissy. Can we still be friends?)

But my husband grew up in New Orleans. It would be dangerous to go with the Colts in this house. My late father-in-law left his house in New Orleans just as Katrina was bearing down, bringing only his Saints baseball cap, a flashlight and the insurance papers. They thought they'd be home again the next day. They didn't lose their house, but there was a lot of damage. When my husband told me about the hat and the flashlight, with tears in his eyes, sensitive woman that I am, asked, "The Saints? Is that a baseball team?" (In my defense, come on! It was a baseball hat.) I don't know anything about the sport, but feel a sort of fondness for the Saints, just because of my father-in-law. I'm very sorry he won't get to see his team at the Super Bowl. Or whatever it is.

I'm still trying to decide who I'm going for so I will vote in a few minutes when my dh and dd are not both looking over my shoulder to see if I'm going for their team.

Dh is going hard for the Colts, and dd says "Who Dat? Saints all the way."

We are also having a Superbowl party and the guests are divided as well. It should be fun.