Menu

Do you have any life-threatening food/environment allergies/sensitivities?

Do you have any life-threatening food/environment allergies/sensitivities?  

1. 1. Do you have any life-threatening food/environment allergies/sensitivities?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other

The poll question is "Do YOU have any life-threatening food allergies/sensitivities?" I am extremely sensitive to MSG, but I will vote 'No' because the result is a headache, which is unpleasant, but also is not life-threatening. I really feel this is a 'Yes' or 'No' question, but since I am so ignorant of the subject I will concede an 'Other' answer, as well. Please explain if you feel 'Yes' or 'No' is not sufficient.

Background:

We had nine mostly-tween boys here last night for DS12's birthday. Seven of the boys stayed overnight for a sleepover. Of these nine boys, three of the boys have food/environment allergies/sensitivities that are severe enough that anaphylactic shock or some other life-threatening response could occur. In other words, these boys have had near-death experiences with responses to food or pets, etc.

I find it somewhat amazing that there were so many cases in such a small group! Many questions fill my head as a result:

1) Is this ratio (1 in 3) somewhat representative of how common this problem is in this age group? (Somehow I doubt it!)

2) Is this ratio somewhat representative of homeschoolers in this age group? The thinking here is that perhaps these conditions are a common reason to homeschool.

3) Has the rate of these type of sensitivities increased versus my generation (I'm 45)? If so, why? If not, why not? I'm kind of wondering if it has been common all along and perhaps my peers died at a young age because these problems were poorly understood 40 years ago. I also expect many to respond that these conditions are the result of immunization, toxins in the food, etc.

Any other thoughts?

3) Has the rate of these type of sensitivities increased versus my generation (I'm 45)? If so, why? If not, why not? I'm kind of wondering if it has been common all along and perhaps my peers died at a young age because these problems were poorly understood 40 years ago. I also expect many to respond that these conditions are the result of immunization, toxins in the food, etc.

Any other thoughts?

I have often wondered that myself. I remember as a child (I'm slightly younger than you.) I knew one other child in my school that had a peanut allergy. My mom did not ask my friends if they have allergies when they came over and it was never asked of me when I visited friends. Now, I can't let a child in the door without finding out.

As to the possible cause, again I am wondering right along with you about vaccinations, chemicals in our foods, some combination of those.

I do not have life threatening allergies but all three of my children and my dh do. It is the primary reason we homeschool. My oldest was having anaphylactic reactions every day in daycare so we knew it would be unsafe to have him in the school system. My girls followed suit in the severity of their allergies. All three kids carry epipens (well, I carry them for the girls as they are too young to be responsible for them yet).

I believe I have read that they are increasing. I do not have any allergies and my dh is only allergic to Tylenol. My ds, 8, has severe food allergies to peanuts, tree nuts, mango, and shellfish:(

I read a lot of articles on medscape.com and elsewhere and I cannot help but believe that the current vaccine schedule of about 38 shots in the first 5 years or so has something to do with food allergies and my ds's allergist did not disagree with me:001_huh:. I think some kids over-react to the all of the vaccines and hence their immune system becomes over-reactive as well:( When I was a child it was only 11 vaccines in the first 5 years or so in the 1960's.

I read one research article showing a possible relationshsip between the Hepatitis B vaccine and peanut allergies:001_huh:,

I am not anti-vax. I do think there is value in many of the vaccines. I do seriously question the current vaccine schedule as well as Bernadine Healy MD from what I can gather. For example, IMHO, in most cases, the hepatitis B vaccine should not be given until the teen years or later since hepatitis B is transmitted via blood/body fluid transmission such as sex, blood transfusions, IV drug uses, etc.

I also think they should slow down the vaccine schedule and look at risks. Currently, I believe they try to maximize vaccines under the notion that they may not get a chance to vaccinate the child again and I think they need to seriously rethink that position.

Edited by priscilla
clarify

I replied as yes, but then realized that mine is not food or environmental. I am allergic to the tetanus vaccine. It is fairly easy to avoid.:D

I have only one dd with life-threatening allergies. Her first was tetanus just like mine. She had many allergies from birth on. At about 15, she started having anaphylactic reactions to some fresh fruits and vegetables. This fall we had her retested for allergies in order to get an epipen for the occasions when she was exposed to a fresh fruit of veggie. You would be shocked how many places just pull the lemon out of your tea or the tomato off your sandwich when you send it back at a restaurant. She is now allergic to almost all foods. She carries her epipen where ever she goes.

No, I don't have any severe allergies. My 9yo does; she's allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and legumes. Happily, it is not currently life-threatening, but as we know, peanut allergies can escalate--so we do carry an EpiPen and so on.

All this is to say that I did discover an odd little statistical anomaly recently. We only know one other child with such severe allergies ourselves--it's not common--but at one point in college I shared a house with 3 other women. Out of the four, three of us have children with peanut allergies. Which is so weird. OTOH, I had a lot of roommates, and that was just one chapter.

I think the rise in allergies is partly better diagnosis, and partly a real rise in allergies. My personal inclination is to investigate the toxins we've been pouring into the environment for 100 years or so with no real idea of what they will do.

Some interesting articles on the current vaccine schedule:

http://www.usnews.com/health/family-health/articles/2008/12/11/vaccines-get-new-scrutiny.html?PageNr=1

http://www.usnews.com/health/family-health/articles/2008/12/11/a-government-call-for-vaccine-research.html

Again, I am not anti-vax since I believe that many vaccines such as DPT, MMR, etc. are beneficial. In fact, IMO it puts a child and others at great risk to not have certain vaccines. I would just like to see vaccine schedule slowed down and less shots given in one visit, etc. IMHO They need to look closely at this.

My personal inclination is to investigate the toxins we've been pouring into the environment for 100 years or so with no real idea of what they will do.

:iagree: I feel quite confident it will eventually all come down to exactly that.

I voted yes. Shellfish (which includes other forms of iodine).

I voted no. Dd has allergic esophagitis, so her throat swells up, but not enough to kill her--just enough that her stomach opening cannot close and she gets horrible reflux and pukes sometimes. I hope it stays at that level and doesn't swell any worse ever. They don't seem to think it will.

ETA: it does seem to have made her extremely sensitive to any sort of throwing-up issues though, esp before she was diagnosed, so she was in the hospital for several days with serious dehydration, low blood sugar, and she lost a pound in a week at under a year when she got rotovirus. THAT was close to life-threatening, but it was a side effect, not the allergy itself. She can't have dairy or soy.

Edited by LittleIzumi

I replied as yes, but then realized that mine is not food or environmental. I am allergic to the tetanus vaccine. It is fairly easy to avoid.:D

I have only one dd with life-threatening allergies. Her first was tetanus just like mine. She had many allergies from birth on. At about 15, she started having anaphylactic reactions to some fresh fruits and vegetables. This fall we had her retested for allergies in order to get an epipen for the occasions when she was exposed to a fresh fruit of veggie. You would be shocked how many places just pull the lemon out of your tea or the tomato off your sandwich when you send it back at a restaurant. She is now allergic to almost all foods. She carries her epipen where ever she goes.

Poor girl! What can she eat? How does she get her vitamins that her body needs?

I know there are a lot of theories about the allergy increase but oddly enough, I don't think it's a research priority. Better diagnosis, higher cleanliness making our immune systems attack themselves, vaccine loads, food/environmental additives, etc, etc....Oh, other dd reacts to red dye 40 but also not life threatening.

Poor girl! What can she eat? How does she get her vitamins that her body needs?

Honestly, I am hoping that she IS getting the vitamins her body needs. She takes a vitamin. She can eat cooked broccoli. Her list of non allergic foods is so small, that she eats things she is less allergic to anyway. Less allergic is a 3 on the allergy scale. She has a very limited diet. On the plus side, her stomach doesn't hurt as often or as severe as before we found out her list was so long! One of our biggest challenges is finding a lip moisturizer and lotion she can use. Toothpaste, dh found a recipe for. It seems to work better than regular toothpaste. Right now, she is really craving cupcakes. I am having to do some research...

So am I! Not life-threatening, but bad enough that I avoid the shot. My grandmother is as well. Other than her, I have never known another person who was allergic. None of my dc are.

I voted No on the poll. I have children with food sensitivities and some who have allergic reactions to some foods, but none are life threatening. My 11yo reacts very badly to shrimp (enough so that we avoid it and avoid foods cooked with it) but he's never had a *life-threatening* reaction (just major swelling, itching, etc.)

Guest Virginia Dawn

No life threatening allergies here. Dh and Ds #1 have seasonal allergies. DD and DS#3 have an msg/sodium sensitivity- headaches. I cannot have calcium carbonate it gives me severe vertigo, I don't take multi-vitamins or ultra enriched products because I feel nauseous (sp?) if I do. I haven't pinpointed that one yet.

The poll question is "Do YOU have any life-threatening food allergies/sensitivities?" I am extremely sensitive to MSG, but I will vote 'No' because the result is a headache, which is unpleasant, but also is not life-threatening. I really feel this is a 'Yes' or 'No' question, but since I am so ignorant of the subject I will concede an 'Other' answer, as well. Please explain if you feel 'Yes' or 'No' is not sufficient.

Background:

We had nine mostly-tween boys here last night for DS12's birthday. Seven of the boys stayed overnight for a sleepover. Of these nine boys, three of the boys have food/environment allergies/sensitivities that are severe enough that anaphylactic shock or some other life-threatening response could occur. In other words, these boys have had near-death experiences with responses to food or pets, etc.

I find it somewhat amazing that there were so many cases in such a small group! Many questions fill my head as a result:

1) Is this ratio (1 in 3) somewhat representative of how common this problem is in this age group? (Somehow I doubt it!)

2) Is this ratio somewhat representative of homeschoolers in this age group? The thinking here is that perhaps these conditions are a common reason to homeschool.

Any other thoughts?

I misunderstood your poll. Delete one 'yes' vote.

I don't have allergies, but my son had anaphylaxis to tree nuts. He was allergic to dairy since he was 3 months old and the tree nut reaction was at 5, so I don't think it was tied into vaccinations for him. I think there definitely may be a link to environmental toxins with the current increase in severe allergies in kids.

My father had an anaphylactic reaction to penicillin back when it was first introduced in his part of the country. Had to wear dog tags stating the allergy when he was in the military.

I had a friend who was allergic to egg when I was growing up, but he was the only one I knew of.

I have a friend now who's in in 50s who is allergic to fresh water fish and I think used to be allergic to wheat (he talks about his mother having to bake everything with rye). And about one memorable race to the hospital when in high school.

I was thinking of homeschool before we found out about our son's tree nut allergy, but once he had his reaction, homeschooling became a very easy decision.

I was thinking of homeschool before we found out about our son's tree nut allergy, but once he had his reaction, homeschooling became a very easy decision.

I didn't even think about that! It's nerve-wracking enough when dd has to be in sibcare for an hour a week while other dd has sensory therapy stuff. I can't imagine school every day. Wow.

So am I! Not life-threatening, but bad enough that I avoid the shot. My grandmother is as well. Other than her, I have never known another person who was allergic. None of my dc are.

I voted No on the poll. I have children with food sensitivities and some who have allergic reactions to some foods, but none are life threatening. My 11yo reacts very badly to shrimp (enough so that we avoid it and avoid foods cooked with it) but he's never had a *life-threatening* reaction (just major swelling, itching, etc.)

In our case, it definitely seems genetically linked. My paternal grandmother, father, myself, and dd all have the same reaction. So far, it hasn't been deadly, but it worsens each time the shot is received. I was told to never allow it again because the next time it could kill. The most interesting thing about the family scenario is that we are each from a family of four children. In each case, we are the only one of the four siblings to have this reaction. In each instance, the we are the only one to have a child who reacted. It is a perfect 25% rate of passing down the gene for 3 generations so far. (Don't know about the others. I don't think the vaccine goes back any farther.) There is a 0% rate among the siblings/cousins for reaction. If my dd asks for my opinion, I would not allow this vaccine to be given to any of her children. If it is, she knows to watch closely for any signs of reaction and stop any further shots.

I do not. I have several friends who do (or whose dc do). One friend suffered a mild stroke because the non-essential ingredients (coating? carrier? not sure) of a drug she had been taking for some time had been changed to include dairy (why?? who knows). Another friend's dd was deathly allergic to dairy, even to the little bit that was in graham crackers.

I'm certainly more scared about the latex one than the others. I was tested and found out about the food allergy before I ever had a life-threatening reaction. It was just pointed out that the potential for one is there.

I've had massive reactions to latex and it is much harder to avoid, since I react to airborne particles, like a balloon popping. No more taking the kids to fairs, birthday parties, open markets, etc... Those guys that do the balloon animals are the bane of my existence! I had to leave my kids trophy celebration for baseball because of all the kids wearing those dumb balloon hats and the potential for one to pop near me.

I am the one 'other' so far... I have developed asthma, and my asthma attacks are triggered by the usual dust/mold but my most violent ones have been triggered by chemical scents. I have to steer clear of the cleaning aisle in the stores, have had to ask relatives to remove their air fresheners when I'm visiting, and have to avoid some places altogether. I have not had to go to the ER so far, but it does get bad and I do consider not being able to breathe properly (and if I am not removed from a 'tainted' area immediately my breathing just gets worse and worse and worse) a bit life threatening. It's really terrifying, and this all started recently. But my life has not been in peril, IMO, because I've always been able to remove myself from whatever is making me sick.

SO, if you don't consider my sudden asthma which is triggered by chemical fragrances a life threatening environment allergy or sensitivity then dismiss my 'other' vote.

I voted no on your poll because of how you worded it, but our family does have allergies. There are two allergies in my immediate family that might be life threatening but I can't say for sure.

All of my children have been either allergic to dairy or lactose intolerant. DD10 got allergic shiners, severe constipation, and chemical burns on her bum where her dairy containing poo touched her skin. My youngest gets very cranky and vomits for 18+ hours if I eat even a trace amount (cross contamination) of dairy. I don't want to see what would happen if she were to eat dairy food directly.

DS2 and I are allergic to cephalosporin antibiotics. My throat swells when I take it. I broke out in hives from head to toe when it was given to my son. We figured out that it was due to residue in his mouth touching my skin when he nursed. He broke out in tiny hives from head to toe also. I won't let it be prescribed to any family member now.

Me personally, no.

My oldest has anaphylactic shock to a variety of nuts - peanuts, cashews, walnuts and a milder reaction to some of the others. He was just allergy tested again yesterday in fact to update his profile and so forth.

It did play a role in our homeschooling him. He was in the ER shortly after he went to an early learning center at 3 (I worked FT then). We informed them of the allergy, etc., and gave them his epi-pen. They indicated complete understanding. And his teacher forgot within a month or two and gave him a peanut butter cracker with the snack the kids were having. They called me instead of giving the epi-pen or calling an ambualnce and it could have killed him. What if I hadn't been home? They were shook up and only then admitted they didn't understand the severity. Within a month his whole face was swollen because they gave the other 3-year-olds peanut butter at the table and didn't clean it up properly (3yo kids are messy!). He got it smeared on his hand and face but not ingested and swelled up incredibly, eyes swollen shut within minutes. We pulled him out and started on the journey that led us to homeschooling, until he was "older" at the time. Well, homeschooling works for us so we still do it. :D

I do in fact meet an incredibly large number of homeschoolers with various degrees of allergies present in their children.

No allergies here, I am very grateful. But :grouphug: to all you moms who deal with it all the time! I don't know how you do it. Esp with all the processed foods these days! there are ingredients in food, you'd never think about!

Ignorance is bliss. I started all my kids on peanut butter and jelly sandwiches at around 8-9 months and eggs and shrimp even younger!

I am allergic to iodine. Obviously the body needs some iodine to function so I must not be completely allergic to it but I do have varying degrees of reaction to iodine containint foods. I can handle salt with added iodine. I have mild reaction to fish, more severa reactions to shellfish (hives), and severe (anaphylactic shock) reactions to Iodine dye used internally. My allergies have gotten less severe as I have aged but every now and then I will have a stronger reaction. Apparently this is a pretty commom allergy. Not quite as common as nuts and bee stings but only slightly less so.

I do think that the overall incidence of allergies in general and life threatening ones, as well as asthma have increased dramatically in the past generation. I have done a lot of research on this subject and there really isn't any definitive answers as to why. I also believe that you are likely to find a higher percentage of homeschoolers with severe allergies as this is one of the reason that many people homeschool.

ETA: I do believe that immunizations have something to do with the rise in allergies. My last four children do not have immunizations and none of them are allergic to anything although the last does have excema which is clearly aggrevated by dairy.

Edited by KidsHappen

No, I do not. Nor does dh or any of our children, or any member in our family (aunts, uncles, cousins, etc.) that I can think of.

Edited by Katia

I voted "other". I can easily avoid my triggers and I am not sure if these count in the poll...

I have had analphylactic reactions to allergy shots. Also I have hyper sensitivities to some medications (codeine, valium, decongestants, albuterol, paxil). I have severe asthma and pollen, dust, smoke, vehicle exhaust, paint fumes, etc, can trigger an attack.

All my kids have asthma... Ds#1 moderate, rest have it mild.

Dh is severely allergic to bees, wasps, hornets.

Dd is severely allergic to mosquitos, spiders bites, etc... she has to take benadryl and high dose of prednisone and sometimes an ER visit when bitten.

I don't so couldn't vote however my son has an anaphylactic allergy to nuts and sesame.

My father (in his 60's) is anaphylactic to aspirin, penicillin and tumeric.

I do, however, think anaphylaxis is increasing as are asthma and allergies in general. Knowing why is harder....lower vitamin D levels may be playing a role. So might increases in medicine and lower infections rates in childhood. The body isn't busy fighting off common diseases and parasites. Countries where those two things are prevalent have, in my understanding, far less allergic conditions.

Son with allergies is a fraternal twin. His brother has no allergies or asthma. His father and I don't have any either. Clearly there are genetics that interacts with those environmental factors.

We were already homeschooling when he had his first anaphylactic reaction and we found out about the allergies. But I can't imagine sending my son to school w/this type of allergy. I imagine serious allergies are more prevalent in homeschoolers for that reason.

Edited by sbgrace

My mom is (was) allergic to it too.

However, the tetanus vaccine is made differently now than it used to be. So, my mom is not allergic to the tetanus vaccine as it is currently administered. (She got a tetanus shot a couple of years ago & did fine.) I couldn't remember the specifics, but I did a quick google search... (Figured I would mention it in case this might apply in your case or for your grandmother.)

"Some of my patients describe having had a severe reaction to something they were given for tetanus many years ago. What could this be?

The allergic reactions these people experienced may have actually been serum sickness, a reaction to equine antitoxin. Equine antitoxin was the only product available for the prevention of tetanus prior to the mid 1940s. It was used for postexposure prophylaxis until the late 1950s, when tetanus immune globulin was introduced. Tetanus toxoid has never contained any horse protein."

http://www.vaccineinformation.org/tetanus/qandavax.asp

I have an immediate and severe anaphylactic response to shrimp enzymes. Other than that, I am not allergic to any shellfish, which is good because I love crab legs and lobster.

I am also very allergic to sulfa drugs.

I went to Red Lobster planning to get crab legs, and when I told the waiter about my allergy to shrimp, the restaurant refused to let me eat any seafood or fried food. I don't eat fried food anyway, but if I eat even a whisper of shrimp, it will set off my allergy in a couple of seconds. So Red Lobster's policy is to only serve foods which, during their preparation, have been segregated 100% from shrimp.

Edited by RoughCollie

:grouphug: for all who are dealing with these issues as well as for your children who suffer from them. I have learned a lot from this discussion and also from speaking with a couple of the young men at the party last night. It must be quite a strain to have this hanging over you always. :sad:

I have read all of the responses and I just went back to check something: Not a single parent responding to this thread has a peanut allergy! But several children of posters DO have a peanut allergy. I'm not sure what this means. Perhaps peanut allergies go away with age? Or perhaps most people in our generation with peanut allergies did not live very long? Or perhaps our generation didn't get this allergy? Something else? I don't think this is simply an awareness issue, since if we had this allergy, we would be aware of it.

Other thoughts?

Dh is severely allergic to bees, wasps, hornets.

Dd is severely allergic to mosquitos, spiders bites, etc... she has to take benadryl and high dose of prednisone and sometimes an ER visit when bitten.

I forgot to mention that I have severe reactions to wasp stings (but not bees), flea, ant and mosquito bites. Not life threatening but benedryl doesn't touch them and I can't take systemic prednisone.

All of my brothers have allergic reactions to meds., one to cillians, and the other two to codiene (bummer, man).

I forgot to mention that I have severe reactions to wasp stings (but not bees), flea, ant and mosquito bites. Not life threatening but benedryl doesn't touch them and I can't take systemic prednisone.

Your the only other person I have heard that has allergies like my Dd.

Often people didn't believe me that my Dd is allergic to mosquito bites, etc until they saw her react to them. If she gets bit on the face, her eyes swell shut. One time she got bitten on her index finger and her arm swelled four times normal size all the way to her shoulder. Her asthma will kick in if we don't get her medicated quickly.

:grouphug: for all who are dealing with these issues as well as for your children who suffer from them. I have learned a lot from this discussion and also from speaking with a couple of the young men at the party last night. It must be quite a strain to have this hanging over you always. :sad:

I have read all of the responses and I just went back to check something: Not a single parent responding to this thread has a peanut allergy! But several children of posters DO have a peanut allergy. I'm not sure what this means. Perhaps peanut allergies go away with age? Or perhaps most people in our generation with peanut allergies did not live very long? Or perhaps our generation didn't get this allergy? Something else? I don't think this is simply an awareness issue, since if we had this allergy, we would be aware of it.

Other thoughts?

No, IMHO from what I have read, peanut allergies are definitely increasing and I definitely think it could in some cases be related to environmental factors such as some vaccines or toxins in the environment.

Often people didn't believe me that my Dd is allergic to mosquito bites, etc until they saw her react to them. If she gets bit on the face, her eyes swell shut. One time she got bitten on her index finger and her arm swelled four times normal size all the way to her shoulder. Her asthma will kick in if we don't get her medicated quickly.

My son got welts (urticaria) the size of half dollars and swelling around his eyes from mosquitoes which was alarming to say the least. Fortunately benadryl and hydrocortisone cream helped, but it tooks several days to clear. It also thank goodness was only a skin reaction and did not cause him distress otherwise.

What do you have to give her? Does she need epi-pen for this with the asthma kicking in?

I have an anaphylactic response to Red #40 and #2 food dye, which is made from the dried-out carcasses of carmine beetles. It's also called "carmine" on some labels.

It's in a lot of foods, but easy enough to avoid. I do miss eating M&M's in the movie theater, though.....mine have to be pre-sorted (no red, orange or brown) so I can't eat them in the dark! :-)

And I'd be lyin' if I didn't mention the occasional Dorito!

astrid

Edited by astrid
typos--- the coffee hasn't reached my fingertips yet!

No severe allergies here...well, like someone else mentioned, I seem to be allergic to wasps but not bees. I have other weird allergies, but none life threatening.

One of the thoughts that seems to be coming up more and more is that the admonishment to keep children away from peanuts and eggs til they're a year might actually be INCREASING the allergic reactions, not lessening them.

I also admit to being one of those parents that weren't vigilant about avoiding peanuts and eggs when my kids started table food under a year...and none of them have allergies of any kind (so far anyways!)

One of the thoughts that seems to be coming up more and more is that the admonishment to keep children away from peanuts and eggs til they're a year might actually be INCREASING the allergic reactions, not lessening them.
:iagree:

One of the theories about some forms of anaphylaxis is that children who are raised in an environment which is too "clean" do not grow up to have properly-functioning immune systems. Based on this theory, we like to joke that DD7 will have a VERY well-developed immune system, but that her twin, who is a clean freak, may have severe troubles! :D

Not a single parent responding to this thread has a peanut allergy! But several children of posters DO have a peanut allergy. I'm not sure what this means. Perhaps peanut allergies go away with age? Or perhaps most people in our generation with peanut allergies did not live very long? Or perhaps our generation didn't get this allergy?

I have never met anyone of my age with a peanut allergy. I never knew other kids with a peanut allergy when I was a kid. In fact, I can't remember knowing any kids with food allergies when I was a kid. I think something is going on.

I also think that studies have shown this is a mostly American issue; I read a study that compared American Jews with Israeli Jews, and American Jews had (or reported) higher allergies. Some studies have also suggested some (but not all) of reported allergies are more food preferences. (I didn't say that is always the case, so please don't post mean messages at me!)

I have never met anyone of my age with a peanut allergy. I never knew other kids with a peanut allergy when I was a kid. In fact, I can't remember knowing any kids with food allergies when I was a kid. I think something is going on.

That is *exactly* my experience, as well!

What do you have to give her? Does she need epi-pen for this with the asthma kicking in?

No epi.

We try to be proactive. When we know she will be out during evenings, or going on hikes, she wears long sleeves and jeans, give her benadryl before going out, wipe her down with bug repellant. We also keep on hand additional bug repellant, benadryl, prednisone, inhaler. When she gets bit we give her more benadryl and prednisone and her inhaler. Then if these don't work we take her to the ER. Only once have we had to take her to the ER after we found out how severe her allergy reactions can get.

One of the theories about some forms of anaphylaxis is that children who are raised in an environment which is too "clean" do not grow up to have properly-functioning immune systems. Based on this theory, we like to joke that DD7 will have a VERY well-developed immune system, but that her twin, who is a clean freak, may have severe troubles! :D

This may be a possible, but I can testify that I have never been the best housekeeper;) Plus we have always had cats or dogs and frequented my MIL and played with the farm animals. I do not know if research has confirmed this theory.