Menu

Texas

• 3 months later...

Okay, bumpity bump!

I'm posting in this thread for about the 4th time now. We have moved a lot. LOL *shrug*

We are now, once again, near Waco - only this time we are off hwy 6 at Valley Mills. Looking for anyone in Bosque or Hill counties (pretty sure Susan is the Susan I added on FB not long ago :lol: ), especially in Valley Mills or Clifton, I'd love to hear from you!

Susan and I are talking about the possibility of starting a conversation about starting a new co-op in this area. But PM me and let's chat even if you aren't interested in a co-op! I'm always up for meeting new moms, and their families!

Thanks!

My husband likes to say here in Texas we have two seasons- summer and WINTER! (Winter seems to take forever because we can't take the cold!)

I'm a native Texan from/living in DFW. Born in Dallas, private schooled in Irving, went to college at Tyler Jr College, then UT Arlington. Met another dreamer/architect there and we've been married 13 years! :) We have 3 great kids we've homeschooled since the beginning, so that makes about 5 years. Gateway is our church.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Central Texas

We live in the fastest growing town in Texas, Hutto!

Home of the Hutto Hippos!! I worked in Taylor for a couple of years. Our first date was to the Coupland Inn. The last time I was there I was amazed at how much it has changed. I remember it from the early 90's. Good times!

• 2 weeks later...

Putting this out there:

If any of you know of anyone willing and able to rent to a family of ten, would you please pm me. The middle of nowhere is fine (more than fine! :) ), but driving distance of Dallas, Austin, San Antonio, or Houston. Our family needs to move in less than a month. We've already had to stop looking in one state because of biases against large families.

• Like 1

Putting this out there:

If any of you know of anyone willing and able to rent to a family of ten, would you please pm me. The middle of nowhere is fine (more than fine! :) ), but driving distance of Dallas, Austin, San Antonio, or Houston. Our family needs to move in less than a month. We've already had to stop looking in one state because of biases against large families.

My rent house is locked into a lease right now. Wish I could help you. It might be too small anyway. It is only a 3/2 at 1350 sq ft. It is in the middle of nowhere East Texas.

• Like 1

Laredo Tx. -actually, a small townjust outside.

I'm the proud mamma of a five yr old and a two year old. I've gotta get some pics of them in my siggy, but my laptop needs repaired and I can't resize using photobucket from my iphone.

Afterschooler.

"We're on a path of our own."

The hubby was born and raised here.

I had my two kids here.

Here we are.

• 2 weeks later...

We just found out we are definitely moving to Texas, probably by the end of June. Right now we live in southern Maryland so it's a big move. We'll be moving to San Antonio, probably the northeast part. I've only ever been to TX for one week in my entire life 15 years ago visiting my sister who lived in San Antonio for 4 years. We are very excited about becoming Texans!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

From Beaumont, Orange area. Lived in S. Austin until we moved to Deep East Texas not too far from Lufkin and Nacogdoches.

For those who live in Beaumont, I would LOVE to know if homeschoolers get together there. I taught in BISD but moved before ever thinking of homeschooling (Austin did that to me. :) ) although I was active in the LLL group. I visit our parents at least once a month, sometimes two or three times. Is there anything organized in Bmt?

We just found out we are definitely moving to Texas, probably by the end of June. Right now we live in southern Maryland so it's a big move. We'll be moving to San Antonio, probably the northeast part. I've only ever been to TX for one week in my entire life 15 years ago visiting my sister who lived in San Antonio for 4 years. We are very excited about becoming Texans!

Quoting myself here. We're moving to TX *next week*! Our stuff already left in a PODS. We leave Sunday and will be driving across half the country over 4 days. We will be in the northern part of San Antonio, close to the Mormon temple.

• Like 2

From Beaumont, Orange area. Lived in S. Austin until we moved to Deep East Texas not too far from Lufkin and Nacogdoches.

For those who live in Beaumont, I would LOVE to know if homeschoolers get together there. I taught in BISD but moved before ever thinking of homeschooling (Austin did that to me. :) ) although I was active in the LLL group. I visit our parents at least once a month, sometimes two or three times. Is there anything organized in Bmt?

I'm in Beaumont. Just the other day, I came across this homeschool group: http://trianglehomeschoolers.wordpress.com/. I have not had a chance to contact them, but I'm interested in it.

• 8 months later...

I'm in Amarillo.  I'm not loving it here….  I'm from Denton, (North of Dallas) and lived there for 25 years.  Dh and I moved 13 times (mostly out of TX - military) and maybe this is our home now.  We'll see.  I don't know very many homeschooling people where I am currently living. A few.  We've joined a homeschool group but don't meet up much.

• Like 1

I'm in Amarillo.  I'm not loving it here….  I'm from Denton, (North of Dallas) and lived there for 25 years.  Dh and I moved 13 times (mostly out of TX - military) and maybe this is our home now.  We'll see.  I don't know very many homeschooling people where I am currently living. A few.  We've joined a homeschool group but don't meet up much.

Well, I am nowhere near you, but I am in Texas and our homeschool group was not that active.  A few families would participate, but although the co-op has a large number of families listed, they just don't attend much.  No sense of community or friendship.  Nice people, though.

However, just today we had a meeting of some homeschool moms on how to provide outreach, support and even training sessions for certain things for homeshool moms, newbies, people considering homeschooling, etc.  Really hoping that we can make this more of a community...

Good luck to you.  Maybe if you started actively pursuing more one on one and small group gatherings at neutral sites where you do the inviting directly, it might help.  I know that just seeing an activity listed on a calendar or in a group e-mail of people I don't know well and have not had much one on one contact with doesn't always inspire me to want to join in, but if I am  talking with someone and they ask me if we can get our kids together and have a chance to talk ourselves, I am far more likely to participate.  Then the next time maybe we invite someone else.  Then the next time the larger group gets together, one of us calls the others and asks if they are going, too. Does that make any sense?  Rambling a bit.  Sorry.  No sleep last night.

Anyway, I hope the adjustment gets better.  Best wishes....

• Like 1

Well, I am nowhere near you, but I am in Texas and our homeschool group was not that active.  A few families would participate, but although the co-op has a large number of families listed, they just don't attend much.  No sense of community or friendship.  Nice people, though.

However, just today we had a meeting of some homeschool moms on how to provide outreach, support and even training sessions for certain things for homeshool moms, newbies, people considering homeschooling, etc.  Really hoping that we can make this more of a community...

Good luck to you.  Maybe if you started actively pursuing more one on one and small group gatherings at neutral sites where you do the inviting directly, it might help.  I know that just seeing an activity listed on a calendar or in a group e-mail of people I don't know well and have not had much one on one contact with doesn't always inspire me to want to join in, but if I am  talking with someone and they ask me if we can get our kids together and have a chance to talk ourselves, I am far more likely to participate.  Then the next time maybe we invite someone else.  Then the next time the larger group gets together, one of us calls the others and asks if they are going, too. Does that make any sense?  Rambling a bit.  Sorry.  No sleep last night.

Anyway, I hope the adjustment gets better.  Best wishes....

Yes, this does make sense.  Just today I met another homeschooling mom and our kids are similar ages.  We swapped numbers and agreed to meet up for a library story time in the future.  She is also a part of the large group but not involved.  I would love something more like a real support group.  That's what I was hoping when I joined the group.  Thanks for your encouragement. :)

• Like 1

Well, I am nowhere near you, but I am in Texas and our homeschool group was not that active. A few families would participate, but although the co-op has a large number of families listed, they just don't attend much. No sense of community or friendship. Nice people, though.

However, just today we had a meeting of some homeschool moms on how to provide outreach, support and even training sessions for certain things for homeshool moms, newbies, people considering homeschooling, etc. Really hoping that we can make this more of a community...

Good luck to you. Maybe if you started actively pursuing more one on one and small group gatherings at neutral sites where you do the inviting directly, it might help. I know that just seeing an activity listed on a calendar or in a group e-mail of people I don't know well and have not had much one on one contact with doesn't always inspire me to want to join in, but if I am talking with someone and they ask me if we can get our kids together and have a chance to talk ourselves, I am far more likely to participate. Then the next time maybe we invite someone else. Then the next time the larger group gets together, one of us calls the others and asks if they are going, too. Does that make any sense? Rambling a bit. Sorry. No sleep last night.

Anyway, I hope the adjustment gets better. Best wishes....

Are you by any chance in central Texas? I am hoping that my experience and discussion with other homeschool moms is just a by product of having just one kiddo, who is not technically school age! We are looking ahead to next year as the kid is crazy advanced in many areas...but not socially:)

I can totally understand why they aren't keen on having us around since we aren't 'officially' homeschooling...but I have yet to find really anyone who is very involved. I think it I more of a culture where people tend to stick more closely with fellow church members here?

At this point I think we will end up doing a lot of driving to Dallas or Austin...

• Like 1

Are you by any chance in central Texas? I am hoping that my experience and discussion with other homeschool moms is just a by product of having just one kiddo, who is not technically school age! We are looking ahead to next year as the kid is crazy advanced in many areas...but not socially:)

I can totally understand why they aren't keen on having us around since we aren't 'officially' homeschooling...but I have yet to find really anyone who is very involved. I think it I more of a culture where people tend to stick more closely with fellow church members here?

At this point I think we will end up doing a lot of driving to Dallas or Austin...

Actually, we are south, but we do go up to the Austin, San Antonio and Houston areas a bit and we have friends and relatives out in West Texas and Abilene so we end up going there upon occasion.  We used to have relatives in Brady but not anymore.  I am not certain why but I have seen certain groups feel leery of or even kind of snobby towards parents seeking connections with homeschoolers before their child reaches school age.  I have heard that for some co-ops they have to limit numbers to actual school age kids because they have limited space at facilities, but I think others just are kind of snobby about it.  Seems silly to me.  If you are homeschooling and you believe this way of educating has merits, wouldn't you want to support parents that are considering this option even before the kids are officially old enough?  I know that Corpus Christi, Austin, Dallas, San Angelo, Houston and San Antonio have very active homeschooling groups and San Antonio has a pretty good homeschooling convention in May (FEAST) and of course THSC has the massive homeschooling convention in August in the Houston area so sometimes I can meet people there that end up being from nearby areas.

It's funny… I had a lot more "homeschooling" friends when I lived in Alaska - where I had my first two babies - and we moved from there when they were 1 & 2.5 years old.  Weird.

That is weird.  :)

Someone on another thread was asking which state was very secular homeschooling friendly and almost everyone posted that it isn't by state whether you find friendly homeschoolers (secular or otherwise) it is really more by region and city than by state (especially a large state like Texas).

• Like 1

That is weird.   :)

Someone on another thread was asking which state was very secular homeschooling friendly and almost everyone posted that it isn't by state whether you find friendly homeschoolers (secular or otherwise) it is really more by region and city than by state (especially a large state like Texas).

I really think I had more homeschooling friends when I lived there simply because I had more *friends* there.  I had my first babies there and really fell into a family of friends with similar interests.  Not surprisingly many of them homeschooled.  (I always just knew I wanted to homeschool.)  I moved here and people are just….different.  Not as much community.  It's not that they're UNfriendly, they just keep to themselves.  It's hard.  I dream about living elsewhere.  But by then, we'll be mostly through with homeschooling.  sigh

The homeschooling group that I am a part of is Christian.  I am Christian.  However, the homeschooling friends I had in AK were from all faiths.  The community there was just more inclusive.

• Like 1

I really think I had more homeschooling friends when I lived there simply because I had more *friends* there.  I had my first babies there and really fell into a family of friends with similar interests.  Not surprisingly many of them homeschooled.  (I always just knew I wanted to homeschool.)  I moved here and people are just….different.  Not as much community.  It's not that they're UNfriendly, they just keep to themselves.  It's hard.  I dream about living elsewhere.  But by then, we'll be mostly through with homeschooling.  sigh

The homeschooling group that I am a part of is Christian.  I am Christian.  However, the homeschooling friends I had in AK were from all faiths.  The community there was just more inclusive.

I think it also depends on the personalities of the leaders of that homeschooling group.  We have a pretty inclusive group here (mainly Christians but several families that are not), and the ladies in charge have all been very pleasant, but they are mostly introverts so I have to be more extroverted than I normally am comfortable with to get the ball rolling.  I think if the organization were being run by these same very nice women but they were more extroverted, our group would feel more like a community and there would be a lot more field trips, play dates, Mom's Night Outs, casual get togethers, etc.  Still working on it and making some inroads, though.  These really are a nice group of people.  They just tend to do their own thing more than interact.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...