Menu

Texas

• 1 month later...
Guest csmith897

I have recently moved to Hurst from out of state and am an overwhelmed first time homeschooler with 4 kiddos, aged 8, 6, 4, and 2. I need a homeschooling network! Anyone near me????

• 3 weeks later...

I have recently moved to Hurst from out of state and am an overwhelmed first time homeschooler with 4 kiddos, aged 8, 6, 4, and 2. I need a homeschooling network! Anyone near me????

Isn't Hurst near Ft Worth?  There should be homeschoolers near you.  Hope you find some support!  I have been homeschooling since the beginning but only recently became involved (went to a meeting!) with the local homeschool group.  Looking forward to a year of not feeling alone!!  (Sorry, I'm in Amarillo, or I'd invite you!)

Welcome to Texas! I suggest you sign up for the Horizons Homeschoolers Yahoo group. It's a large group of homeschoolers Dallas/Fort Worth so you should be able to find someone near you.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

We moved from NH to Austin TX. DD is 8 and wil be homschooling this Fall! :)

Welcome to the South. :-)

Are you enjoying the bluebonnets? Feel free to pick some for your home; they are fragrant, and it is not illegal to pick them. :-)

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I posted this in the Talk-in-Texas social group on this site, but thought I might get more response here:

We are moving from the east suburbs of Houston to New Braunfels this summer.

I'll have one dc who will be a ps 11th grader, and one who will be a homeschool 8th grader (my dd 13yo).

Can anyone here give me the lowdown on groups, classes, etc. in the New Braunfels area? I am not interested in co-ops where I have to teach (been there, done that, and now done!).

I am looking at Hill Country Christian Homeschoolers, and in particular their SAC day.

Any information would be helpful about that group and its classes, or the quality of any of the area groups/classes.

Also, does anyone know anything about any area public high schools or the school districts? (looking at Comal ISD and New Braunfels ISD in particular).

THanks for your help!!

• 4 weeks later...

I am moving from California to the Dallas/Fort Worth area! I have been "homeschooling" for 7 years now. I have four kids 11, 9, 6 and 3. I have a question I am hoping someone can answer or at least point me in the right direction. Here it goes: my 9 year old has an IEP for speech. Right now we are in a public charter (in CA) that provides services. I was wondering is it possible to get services through the public school system and be still be homeschooling? My 3 year old also has speech services through the early intervention here in CA. Is there something similar in Texas? Thanks in advance for any help.

I am moving from California to the Dallas/Fort Worth area! I have been "homeschooling" for 7 years now. I have four kids 11, 9, 6 and 3. I have a question I am hoping someone can answer or at least point me in the right direction. Here it goes: my 9 year old has an IEP for speech. Right now we are in a public charter (in CA) that provides services. I was wondering is it possible to get services through the public school system and be still be homeschooling? My 3 year old also has speech services through the early intervention here in CA. Is there something similar in Texas? Thanks in advance for any help.

I live in South Texas and no there really isn't anything like that here.  However, homeschooling is not supported or well known in our local area.  Dallas has a huge homeschooling population and operates so very differently than where I live that they may offer quite a bit through the ps for homeschoolers.  I really do think this is more by region.  Texas as a whole is not as supportive of homeschooling in any structured way as CA, unfortunately, but I do know that some cities are more supportive locally than others.  You ought to post this question on the chat board and the gen ed board.  You will probably find more responders there.   For some reason, this section doesn't have a lot of activity...

• Like 1

We just recently moved to the NE Houston area (near Lake Houston). We are basically in the corner of Hwy. 8. We really want to make some homeschool friends in the area. We moved from AZ and don't know anyone here.

LOTS of homeschoolers in Houston.  Huge!  To find some on this forum you might post on the chat and gen ed boards.  Not as many people come here.  Also, you might attend the THSC convention in Houston this year.  Big convention.  Lots of homeschoolers.

(I'm in San Antonio) There are homeschooled kids receiving speech services through their neighborhood schools here.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...