Menu

I didn't like Avatar, but I really wanted to.

:confused:

I love movies. I mean, I really, really, really love movies.

But I didn't enjoy Avatar.

The visuals were gorgeous. It was a feast for the eyes. But the story was just so dismal. In the battle scenes, I didn't want anyone from either side to get hurt. I hated watching those parts. And I'm a die hard Terminator-type movie lover. I love action and "blow everything up" scenes. But this one just made me feel very sad for both sides. I never had that feeling of, "Oh good, the bad guys got what was coming to them!"

And I can't help but being a little cynical about all the young men who like the movie, because everyone is naked through the whole thing. Yes, I know it was in a "naked natives" sort of way--not sexually at all. But they're still naked... so no wonder they want to go and see it again and again.

And I get so tired of being hit over the head with a mallet with messages about the environment. I got it guys. I already save my kid's bath water to water my plants with and stuff like that. I'm tired of being made to feel guilty for living in a country that has running water and easily obtainable food.

I really am disappointed. Normally I'd love a movie like that. Am I getting old??? Today is my 37th birthday and we went to a movie and dinner to celebrate. Maybe I'm finally too old to enjoy action movies :sad:.

No, you aren't too old for the shoot 'em ups. I've got a few years on you and still enjoy a good one.

It may have just been that movie. When I found out it was an environmental message I decided not to see it. I like to see movies for entertainment, not for a guilt trip.

You prompted me to watch the promo... yes, it looks cool, but really... really... did we need another movie about how evil Americans are?

:glare:

Dh almost went to go see it, he said don't feel bad... the short video we watched made him give the movie two thumbs and two big toes down.

I just came home after watching it, and I really liked it. I'm Canadian (as is the director), but I didn't think it was anti-American. Sure there was an evil Marine, and a corporate bad guy, but there were also some very nice scientists who seemed to be from the same country as the bad guys. There was one line in the movie that was along the lines of, "If they want something, they call whoever is sitting on it an enemy, and then they can justify taking it." I'm not sure if that's anti-American, or just anti-anybody-with-power.

I also didn't think it was overly environmentally focused. The link to nature was more of a spiritual thing than an environmental issue, imo. The scientists discovered that the trees all had links that were making more connections than the human brain (or something like that), and the blue people had a relationship with all living things.

That said, I don't go to the movie theater very often, so maybe I was just in awe of all the special effects in 3D and missed the flaws.:D

Lori

And I get so tired of being hit over the head with a mallet with messages about the environment. :sad:.

:iagree: And the connecting their hair to the earth...wierd! Yes, it was VERY visually stimulating. Great special effects. But the story did fizzle for me too. HOWEVER.....the lovely male star....VERY worth watching. :001_tt1:Hehe

Have you SEEN him in Terminator Salvation?? Same guy. GREAT MOVIE! MUCH BETTER THEN AVATAR!

Edited by katemary63

DH wants me to go and see this with him. I'm afraid that I won't enjoy it. Two and a half hours is a long time to sit through something that I'm not enjoying. I read that it stresses the whole "one with nature" thing. Not sure about that.

And they are all naked? Yikes.

I'm sure the graphics and stuff are simply amazing, but not sure the plot will hold my attention.

I was one who loved it. I had high expectations and it exceeded those tenfold. I didn't see it as evil Americans - I sort of saw it as What the Powerful Can Do Because They're Powerful Enough to Do It. :glare: All throughout history - the powerful often take and take - simply because they can. I don't think that's an American thing - it's been happening since the Dawn of Time.

In the movie, there are "bad" humans, there are greedy humans, and there are extremely kind and thoughtful and helpful humans. :) Not all the humans are awful, and I just didn't get the impression that they were trying to say that humans ARE awful, or we should feel bad for being humans. The characters, imesho, just happened to be "americans" because the movie is an American movie, lol. The guy even says, at some point in the movie, how the "soldiers" in the movie are not actual military soldiers, but rather soldiers-for-hire - those people who would do anything for a dollar. It's not the "Americans" who are evil, but rather - the evil people who are evil. They just all happen to be American (including the good guys).

We're going to see it again - and not just to see the naked people. ;) We're taking the kids this time around. :D

The environment stuff, I really only saw as the people being an indigenous people - similar to the American Indians - in how they revered their environment and ancestors, etc. Not offensive at all - I thought it was quite beautiful.

It's always interesting to see peoples' reactions to the same film, yk? The "your mileage may vary" is such a true statement! :)

Edited by orangearrow

I like James Howard Kunstler's comments on it:

"the depiction of our national character through the whole course of the film was of a thuggish, cruel, cynical, stupid, detestable, and totally corrupt people bent on the complete destruction of nature."

"The infatuation with technology, and the disgusting cockiness that goes with it (so well-captured in Avatar), is but one facet of the psychosis gripping the nation -- and by that I mean the profound detachment from reality."

http://kunstler.com/blog/2009/12/blue-christmas.html

But not enough to get me into the theater for it.

I can't be bothered to see it & I think the 3D stuff would probably make me feel sick anyway.

And I can't help but being a little cynical about all the young men who like the movie, because everyone is naked through the whole thing. Yes, I know it was in a "naked natives" sort of way--not sexually at all. But they're still naked... so no wonder they want to go and see it again and again.

I find that strange because you get more crude nudity in the newspaper, on billboards, and its plenty available on the internet. I cant see why anyone would watch Avatar to get turned on. I didnt even notice it.

And I get so tired of being hit over the head with a mallet with messages about the environment. I got it guys. I already save my kid's bath water to water my plants with and stuff like that. I'm tired of being made to feel guilty for living in a country that has running water and easily obtainable food.

I have been surprised to hear this sentiment on these boards lately. Maybe you are being hit on the head with it over there in the U.S.. But the truth is, its not making much difference...money is still first and we are still making a mess of the planet at a faster rate than we are cleaning it up. The oceans are polluted, the air is poisoned, and so are the rivers. We think its normal, like the frog put in the pot of cold water who is boiled alive as the heat is turned up. We are barely scratching the surface of the change thats necessary. So I am thrilled this movie, which will be watched by millions, has such a strong environmental message. No one need feel guilty....none of us individually made the mess, and none of us are individually responsible for cleaning it up. As far as I am concerned, until we vote in governments that are prepared to be stronger on the issues, its all still going downhill badly. I don't take it personally.

I just came home after watching it, and I really liked it. I'm Canadian (as is the director), but I didn't think it was anti-American. Sure there was an evil Marine, and a corporate bad guy, but there were also some very nice scientists who seemed to be from the same country as the bad guys. There was one line in the movie that was along the lines of, "If they want something, they call whoever is sitting on it an enemy, and then they can justify taking it." I'm not sure if that's anti-American, or just anti-anybody-with-power.

I also didn't think it was overly environmentally focused. The link to nature was more of a spiritual thing than an environmental issue, imo. The scientists discovered that the trees all had links that were making more connections than the human brain (or something like that), and the blue people had a relationship with all living things.

That said, I don't go to the movie theater very often, so maybe I was just in awe of all the special effects in 3D and missed the flaws.:D

Lori

We only watched the previews online. I said anti-American, because it was (from what they showed) a cast of GI Joe types (who were baaaad) with a handful of "good guys" that turn traitor to rescue the aliens and stop the evil American machine from stealing the Native Americans land and then John Smith falls in love with Pocahontas..... oh wait, I got my stories mixed up :glare:

James Howard Kunstler's comments on it:

"the depiction of our national character through the whole course of the film was of a thuggish, cruel, cynical, stupid, detestable, and totally corrupt people bent on the complete destruction of nature."

"The infatuation with technology, and the disgusting cockiness that goes with it (so well-captured in Avatar), is but one facet of the psychosis gripping the nation -- and by that I mean the profound detachment from reality."

I would say his comments pretty well outline why I thought this was another movie about how Americans are bad. I say Americans, because the cast would appear to be Americans. I agree with what he describes as to how they depict the Earthlings (better?). I don't believe we really are, but some people won't be happy until we're back to living in huts.

Peela said:I find that strange because you get more crude nudity in the newspaper, on billboards, and its plenty available on the internet.

We don't here in the US. I know that in Europe that is common but in the US the newspapers don't have anything like page 3 girls. Nor do we have naked billboards either. While nudity is available on the internet, you have to search for it or ask for it. I don't run across it at all since neither my shopping sites, my news sites, my home ed sites, etc. have any nudity.

I like several things about the movie.

The technology now in movie making is just astounding. We were watching the director's commentary (actually not by the director, but by Roger Ebert) on Citizen Kane last night, and he said something very interesting. He said, with Birth of A Nation, all the movie technology/"movie magic" stuff up to that time was incorporated into that movie, and it changed movies forever after. Then Citizen Kane came along and did the same thing. Ds said the same thing has happened with Avatar. It is a game-changer for movie making.

The use of 3D itself--I can't remember the actual term, but the way it is used is so integral to the movie that it doesn't have the same feel as other 3D movies.

The construction of the other world--very cool, very detailed, awesome visually.

I did not like other things.

The biggest things was being beaten over the head with the message of the Noble Savage-- We see this in 19th century literature, and we see it here. I found the movie has less of an environmental aspect and more of a anti-colonialism sentiment. It's not that I like the idea that powerful people can (and did) use force to take what they wanted--I still am very uncomfortable with the whole way America was founded, believe me. But something rubbed me the wrong way about the set up in the movie--of course, you want to have the blue people "win." I guess it's bias? IDK. We are teaching this part of American History now, and it is hard to balance. I guess I didn't see it as entertaining, or particularly thought-provoking, just guilt inducing. Peela has good things to say about that, I agree.

The visuals were gorgeous. It was a feast for the eyes. But the story was just so dismal. In the battle scenes, I didn't want anyone from either side to get hurt. I hated watching those parts. And I'm a die hard Terminator-type movie lover. I love action and "blow everything up" scenes. But this one just made me feel very sad for both sides. I never had that feeling of, "Oh good, the bad guys got what was coming to them!"

I really am disappointed. Normally I'd love a movie like that. Am I getting old??? Today is my 37th birthday and we went to a movie and dinner to celebrate. Maybe I'm finally too old to enjoy action movies :sad:.

My brother (another person who LOVES movies) has retitled it (or possibly plagarized): "Dances With Smurfs". I can't tell if he liked it beyond the visuals. I'm not a movie buff (I'm just now watching the Lord of the Rings trilogy as a gift to my boys), but the title "Dances with Smurfs" cracked me up.

Oh great. I hate environmental preaching and am not really excited about taking 15 yr old boys to see naked people?? The girls either for that matter.

That kind of clinched it for me. I'm not going to fall into another environmental preaching movie either. Day after Tomorrow made me :ack2:. I've had my fair share of evil Americans propaganda as well. Nope, no time or $$ to waste on that.

We only watched the previews online. I said anti-American, because it was (from what they showed) a cast of GI Joe types (who were baaaad) with a handful of "good guys" that turn traitor to rescue the aliens and stop the evil American machine from stealing the Native Americans land and then John Smith falls in love with Pocahontas..... oh wait, I got my stories mixed up :glare:

I would say his comments pretty well outline why I thought this was another movie about how Americans are bad. I say Americans, because the cast would appear to be Americans. I agree with what he describes as to how they depict the Earthlings (better?). I don't believe we really are, but some people won't be happy until we're back to living in huts.

I agree. 100%. And I'll stop there to save you from my ranting.

because he felt that it was wrong for the lead actor to "betray" his own people. We'll have to have a talk about that...

I liked the movie, because I knew I would hate the ham-handed message, so I went with an expectation to enjoy it (all the action, which to me felt almost cartoonish in the improbability of it all) strictly on an "eye-candy" level.

Ds14 cracked me up when he told me that it was like a remix of Dances with Wolves and The Last Samurai, with a bit of Jurassic Park thrown in for good measure. :lol:

Dh said the same thing as far as glorifying a traitor (or group of them).

We disagree a little on this, my thought is the real scoundrel does it for personal gain, whereas a change in ideals can cause a good person to change sides.

Dh said traitors are scumbags, period.

:shrug:

I agree with this review. We saw it last night and while I was thoroughly entertained by the visuals, the "message" was distracting. I don't think it had to be SO obvious. Worship and protect mother earth!!! Not that I disagree with protecting the earth, and not that I don't think there are those doing it harm, but this was OVER THE TOP!

I like several things about the movie.

The technology now in movie making is just astounding. We were watching the director's commentary (actually not by the director, but by Roger Ebert) on Citizen Kane last night, and he said something very interesting. He said, with Birth of A Nation, all the movie technology/"movie magic" stuff up to that time was incorporated into that movie, and it changed movies forever after. Then Citizen Kane came along and did the same thing. Ds said the same thing has happened with Avatar. It is a game-changer for movie making.

The use of 3D itself--I can't remember the actual term, but the way it is used is so integral to the movie that it doesn't have the same feel as other 3D movies.

The construction of the other world--very cool, very detailed, awesome visually.

I did not like other things.

The biggest things was being beaten over the head with the message of the Noble Savage-- We see this in 19th century literature, and we see it here. I found the movie has less of an environmental aspect and more of a anti-colonialism sentiment. It's not that I like the idea that powerful people can (and did) use force to take what they wanted--I still am very uncomfortable with the whole way America was founded, believe me. But something rubbed me the wrong way about the set up in the movie--of course, you want to have the blue people "win." I guess it's bias? IDK. We are teaching this part of American History now, and it is hard to balance.

:iagree:My dh saw the correlation to the anti-Iraq war sentiment where I saw it more with the anti-colonialism sentiment. Maybe those are similar in a way.

My brother (another person who LOVES movies) has retitled it (or possibly plagarized): "Dances With Smurfs". I can't tell if he liked it beyond the visuals. I'm not a movie buff (I'm just now watching the Lord of the Rings trilogy as a gift to my boys), but the title "Dances with Smurfs" cracked me up.

That's so funny that you said that! My dh called it "Dances with Wolves in Space"!!:lol:

All in all I thought it was an entertaining experience if for nothing but the stunning visuals. I have never seen anything like it. I was enchanted from the beginning. The part of our experience that I didn't like was that we went to see it in a theater that serves dinner while you watch the movie. It was very difficult to eat salad in the dark with 3D glasses on!!:tongue_smilie:

I said anti-American, because it was (from what they showed) a cast of GI Joe types (who were baaaad) with a handful of "good guys" that turn traitor to rescue the aliens and stop the evil American machine from stealing the Native Americans land and then John Smith falls in love with Pocahontas..... oh wait, I got my stories mixed up :glare:

:lol:

My brother (another person who LOVES movies) has retitled it (or possibly plagarized): "Dances With Smurfs". ... cracked me up.

:lol:

I also didn't think it was overly environmentally focused. The link to nature was more of a spiritual thing than an environmental issue, imo. The scientists discovered that the trees all had links that were making more connections than the human brain (or something like that),

yeah... the scientists [the smartest and kindest in the bunch, of course] get to disprove "God." It's all just info, you know. Nothing supernatural. ;)

I don't think it was as much an environmental message as it was about religion, science, and those mean greedy capitalists. :D

I didn't see them as "naked" -- well, ok, NAKED, but in the same way that Mystique from Xmen was "naked." [i'm sure she's still worth watching from a male perspective tho, lol!]

And the connecting their hair to the earth...wierd!

that's not their "hair" ;)

remember what she told him when he was checking out that part of his new anatomy?

spoiler ----> "don't play with that or you'll go blind."

I'd watch it again. But i also liked Day after Tomorrow -- I don't have to agree with the message to like the movie. :)

haven't seen FernGully....

we won't be letting the littler ones watch it.

Dh said the same thing as far as glorifying a traitor (or group of them).

We disagree a little on this, my thought is the real scoundrel does it for personal gain, whereas a change in ideals can cause a good person to change sides.

Dh said traitors are scumbags, period.

and of course, all our Founding Fathers were traitors. :tongue_smilie:

I was one who loved it. I had high expectations and it exceeded those tenfold. I didn't see it as evil Americans - I sort of saw it as What the Powerful Can Do Because They're Powerful Enough to Do It. :glare: All throughout history - the powerful often take and take - simply because they can. I don't think that's an American thing - it's been happening since the Dawn of Time.

In the movie, there are "bad" humans, there are greedy humans, and there are extremely kind and thoughtful and helpful humans. :) Not all the humans are awful, and I just didn't get the impression that they were trying to say that humans ARE awful, or we should feel bad for being humans. The characters, imesho, just happened to be "americans" because the movie is an American movie, lol. The guy even says, at some point in the movie, how the "soldiers" in the movie are not actual military soldiers, but rather soldiers-for-hire - those people who would do anything for a dollar. It's not the "Americans" who are evil, but rather - the evil people who are evil. They just all happen to be American (including the good guys).

We're going to see it again - and not just to see the naked people. ;) We're taking the kids this time around. :D

The environment stuff, I really only saw as the people being an indigenous people - similar to the American Indians - in how they revered their environment and ancestors, etc. Not offensive at all - I thought it was quite beautiful.

It's always interesting to see peoples' reactions to the same film, yk? The "your mileage may vary" is such a true statement! :)

:iagree: I already posted similar comments, but I thought I'd add that dh and I took all four children (ages 16, 14, 12 & 9), and although I'm quite a prude, I didn't find the nudity a problem at all. BooKs were small and covered, and a bare bottom with a tail coming out of it just doesn't seem like a bare bottom:). There was no se*ual content, other than one fairly passionate embrace.

As for the Americans, the more I think about it, the more I wonder why anybody is assuming they are Americans. The only reference to them being American is that some are Marines. They are from earth, not necessarily America.

There. Now I've given my four cents.

Lori

I am thinking about taking our 11 year old dd to it, but wasn't sure because of some of the reviews. I am not super conservative, but I also don't expose her to sex/nudity in movies. I guess I am asking if this is okay for an 11 year old in your opinion? Thanks!

ETA - nevermind... I saw somebody else posted about the nudity! Thanks everyone!

Edited by Kari C in SC

In spite of wishing I could see the special effects, I will not see it because I am so sick of this!

I am thinking about taking our 11 year old dd to it, but wasn't sure because of some of the reviews. I am not super conservative, but I also don't expose her to sex/nudity in movies. I guess I am asking if this is okay for an 11 year old in your opinion? Thanks!

I think it's fine for an 11 year old. Take a look at my post for more details. There is quite a bit of violence, but I tend to be more concerned with se*ual content for my children than I am with violence. I don't think that watching violent movies leads to violent behavior, since we're not all inclined toward violent behavior. On the other hand, I do think that watching se*ually provocative movies can jump start the natural desire that all people have (we are all inclined toward se*ual behavior;)). This movie didn't have that element, imo.

Lori

I didn't see it, and I had no idea what it was about, but my kids went last night with their Dad, and they talked to me about it today.

My 10 yr old said: "They are right about the movie. It's about people wanting to steal valuable resources from others. The People, which those blue characters are called, had great resources that greedy people wanted.

17 yr old: "Yes. Is someone arguing that powerful, greedy people or corporations don't want to steal from others? Remember Blood Diamond?" (Movie she and I saw, but my 10 yr old did not)

16 yr old: "It happens, Mom. Some of those soldiers in the film didn't even know who they were fighting, or why. All of those things have happened. You can argue them, but it's true".

So. Who is surprised my children said this. :D

ETA: My dh just said, "Yes, this is a movie to avoid if you don't like Humans as Bad Guys themes". My 21 yr old isn't home, but I'll get his take later and let you know. lol

I had absolutly know idea that this movie was anything other than special effects.

Edited by LibraryLover

Huh. How interesting reading all these comments. I would never have thought of most of them.

The only reason I went to see Avatar in 3D is because my ds is totally into computer stuff and he wanted to see the effects. He had already decided not to watch/listen to the story because it was, in his words, "a soap opera romance thing". Okaaaayy......

Anyhow, here is what I saw:

Mercenaries and ex-Marines who needed money that joined a for-hire group of rogues headed by an ex-Marine with an ax to grind. The vast majority of them had no idea what was really going on as they were fed propaganda to get them to follow orders. This was not a national military operation.

A large, money-hungry company with vast resources that wanted a product (the rock substance). They were willing to invest a huge sum of money to get the indigenous population to move willingly, but also spent the same amount of money or more on their back-up plan to force them out.

A handful of people, mostly scientists that discovered something rare, beautiful, and as-yet unexplained on this planet and the powers-that-be didn't want to explore any other options than their own preconceived ideas.

A group of native alien humanoids that understood how their planet worked. That tried to educate the intruders so that they could also understand.

I never noticed these native aliens were naked. They were completely clothed in their body paint. No nipples showed (like you see here in the States on TV and in movies all.the.time) and no reproductive anatomy showed.

I saw the 'tree' as symbolic of God. These people had a direct connection to God; who had created them and all plant and animal life on their planet. The little floaty-seed things were symbolic of the Holy Spirit. The 'tree'/God held the power of life and death; it gaveth and taketh away.

Surprisingly, I really liked this movie. I didn't expect to. But then, I really, really like Japanese anime and this was so extremely similar. I just enjoy the anime without looking for subliminal messages....and I enjoyed this movie the same way. It was a fantasy and a good one.

"Do you think some Christians would want to try and convert The People if they were real?"

There is a great video you can watch on youtube by one of the guys from Penn and Teller who is an ATHEIST, but he says he totally understands why Christians spread the Good News of Christ-he understands it like this-"If I were standing there watching a truck come at you, and I saw the truck coming, but you didn't believe it was coming, how hardhearted and unloving would I be not to try to get you out of the way?" In it's true form (and I admit some Christians get it wrong), sharing Christ with people is motivated by love for people. We can do nothing less.

And then you still have "religious freedom" to believe what you want, of course!

Edited by HappyGrace

My 10 yr old just asked, "Do you think some Christians would want to try and convert The People if they were real?"

I had to tell her yes, if they were real, they would be folks that some Christians might want to save.

Her reply: That's ridiculous.

You all who pray might want to pray for us here. :D Really, I don't mind prayers.

ETA- I just asked her exactly what they meant, and she looked at me oddly, like I was quizzing her or something, then said that everyone should have religious freedom.

Goddess, that girls knows her Constitution.

Was that just to be offensive :confused:

Oh I'm late on this one, but I wanted to wish you a happy birthday! :grouphug: :party: :) I am grateful for your critique of the movie, because I rarely see them in the theatre anymore because they're just so expensive, but I was thinking of seeing this one in the 3D theatre for the effects. Now I'm not so sure.

I think it fine to help someone find god if they are searching. If they ask. If they come to you.

And thankfully our constitution secures us religious freedom, and not just for Christians. :)

There is a great video you can watch on youtube by one of the guys from Penn and Teller who is an ATHEIST, but he says he totally understands why Christians spread the Good News of Christ-he understands it like this-"If I were standing there watching a truck come at you, and I saw the truck coming, but you didn't believe it was coming, how hardhearted and unloving would I be not to try to get you out of the way?" In it's true form (and I admit some Christians get it wrong), sharing Christ with people is motivated by love for people. We can do nothing less.

And then you still have "religious freedom" to believe what you want, of course!

Not at all. Why would my child asking that be offensive?

Should I have said no?

Should she not think it ridiculous to try and convert people who already have a religion?

Ridiculing the beliefs of others is offensive. I would think that was fairly obvious. Thinking and saying, or pointing out to others, are two different things.

We (a a group of ten people) wanted to see two movies this holiday season. The vote was evenly split between Sherlock Holmes and Avatar. Actually everyone wanted to see both but we could only see one at that time. We finally decided on Avatar. Then later we saw Sherlock Holmes. By far most of us prefered Avatar. However, as one of my dds pointed out it was basically Fern Gully or Atlantis in movie form. Same message, themes, plot, characters, etc. So if you have seen and liked any of those, then you would probably like this as well only the effects and visuals were even better.

I am generally pretty liberal about nudity especially in art, however, I do have to admit that I was a little surprised about it in this movie with a PG-13 rating. I spent the first few scenes of the blue girl's apperance trying to figure out if you could actually see nipple or not and IMO the addition of tails did not make a huge difference in the ability to appreciate their physique. One thing that did bother me is that all of the People were extraordinarily thin. On the other hand when the main human character appeared nude it seemed less startling.

I must have missed entirely the point that their "tails" were supposed to be their sexual organs. They were wearing loin clothes and I assumed that they covered their genitalia. I interpreted their tails to simply be another of their sensory organs like eye, ears, tongues and such.

Mercenaries and ex-Marines who needed money that joined a for-hire group of rogues headed by an ex-Marine with an ax to grind. The vast majority of them had no idea what was really going on as they were fed propaganda to get them to follow orders. This was not a national military operation.

No nipples showed (like you see here in the States on TV and in movies all.the.time) and no reproductive anatomy showed.

Right --the mercenaries. That's why I felt torn when everyone was fighting. It was such a waste. They didn't even know what they were fighting and dying for (the humans didn't.)

DH said he saw nipples, and I did, too. It was like someone else said, like the blue person in Xmen. (What's her name?...just like that I forgot...) They weren't obvious, but they were there. It wasn't sensual. Just the human body. I was being slightly tongue-in-cheek about young people wanting to go to see the naked people. But at the same time, they really were naked. They had a loin cloth and some carefully placed beads around their necks, but the beads moved. I don't think I'm explaining myself well. It wasn't shocking or anything, but they were naked. They just were! :D

The special effects were great. I'm glad I saw them. I don't regret going to the movie. The story was just a bit darker than I'd wanted.

I thought some of the fight scenes with the slimy looking dog creatures were a bit intense for someone under 11, but it depends on the kid. (Many of the creatures didn't have much in the lips department. Just shiny, slobbery gums and sharp teeth. Kinda creepy if you're a little kid.)

Peela: Someone else already pointed it out, but in America there just aren't the types of advertisements that are in Europe/Austr. Our ads are very tame in comparison. The tv shows aren't as provocative, either (usually.) Some of the stuff on BBC is just shocking to me. But it's the norm in other countries, but not quite the norm here yet. I'm sure it's coming in a few years. We always seem to follow the European trends on stuff like that. (Well, that's a personal opinion totally not based in fact...just my general impression :tongue_smilie:) I think it stems from following European fashion. (Again, totally unproven personal opinion!)

Ok. I've gotta go clean the house. Having a big birthday party here on Saturday.

spoiler ---->.

I' ve removed the spoiler above because it would have shown on the Quote background. But go take a look at Peek's post.

I saw Avatar in French (bad idea but a concession to the kiddo...) Anyway, that's not what they say in French. They say

spoiler of a sort ----> Don't touch that or you'll go deaf

And that's an old saying people used to tell their teenage boys to stop

-->masturbating<--

I took it to mean that the end tip is very very sensitive and full of actual nerve ending. Would the English version lead to the same conclusion????

Anyhow, here is what I saw:

Mercenaries and ex-Marines who needed money that joined a for-hire group of rogues headed by an ex-Marine with an ax to grind. (etc)

I've cut down Katia's review, but I am completely in agreement with it. I'm Canadian, and never saw the 'bad American' msg at all. I did see the Dances with Wolves connection though. There are bad humans and good humans in that movie. Even one of the mercenaries changes sides. She didn't sign up for this. If there's any "bad and evil" being pointed at, it's corporations, not Americans.