Menu

Do you give your children grades?

Do you give your children grades on their work?  

1. 1. Do you give your children grades on their work?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other - Please Explain

Do you give your children grades on their assignments? My children are only in first and second grade and I have not been giving them grades...should I? Is there a certain age when it is a good idea to give grades?

I don't give grades, but I do generally write the % correct on the top of the page. We then review the missed problems together.

I don't strive for perfection but if my kid makes conceptual errors (as opposed to say a computational one) then we don't move on until the material has been mastered.

Unofficially.

They like to see that they got 19 out of 20 correct. But the grades really don't mean anything, it's not like I keep a record of the grades. We work till mastery. It does help us to see the progress.

Day 1 Time Telling 10/20

Day 2 Time Telling 13/20

Day 3 Time Telling 16/20

Day 4 Time Telling 20/20

Day 5 Time Telling 20/20

They can see they have improved. They get a feeling of satisfaction and pride.

I never did until this year when my 7/8th grader decided to be homeschooled.

She needs a grade on her paper to make some impression on her. The first time I gave her a C she was shocked. Not sure why but that is another story.

So my son (4th grade) decided he wanted grades too. So he gets grades and sometimes I just put E for effort and I for needs improvement.

Only when they get to high school because they need them for the transcripts. I find it really hard to grade them because they test between A/B but they invariably know more than I give them credit for. I want them to get the credit they deserve but not overstate their knowledge in a certain areas. It is so much easier in the younger grades when it is simply pass/fail.

I don't give grades, but I do generally write the % correct on the top of the page. We then review the missed problems together.

I don't strive for perfection but if my kid makes conceptual errors (as opposed to say a computational one) then we don't move on until the material has been mastered.

:iagree:

The only reason I give the kids grades is because they want a "report card." They bugged me until I gave in. It gives them something to show dad I guess.

We strive for mastery here, so really the grades are a reflection of their effort.

I've been homeschooling since 1995 and this is the first year I've given them grades.

Only in subjects that are ease to grade (math, spelling tests) and not subjective. I haven't figured out how to subjectively grade yet.

One reason I would like to grade is to get me in the habit of doing it before I have to in high school.

I've started looking at penmanship, attention, behavior, etc. Especially for grammar, how well he writes, how many times I have to regain his attention, and his attitude are what get him his grades.

I need them for reporting at the end of the year, though ;)

No grades in K-6. We did mastery learning.

I graded science tests and math tests in 7th and 8th grade, just so they could see what tests and grades were like in preparation for high school.

In high school I gave grades for all subjects and listed them on their transcripts for college.

This is my 16th year homeschooling. So far I have graduated two dc successfully; one has graduated from college and one is mid-college. My youngest is a high school senior this year.

Same here. Should I ever give grades, it will be all A's because we don't move on until we have the concept down. C's and D's are for poor children stuck in a classroom with 35 other children and one teacher who has no time to deal with individual problems. I've always seen that grading system as sink or swim, and it takes for granted that a certain number will fail. That is not acceptable in my homeschool.

I voted other because I only grade on tests (spelling, latin, math). Those grades aren't tallied for a final grade but used for my personal evaluations. However, my boys are only in 4th and 1st grade. Once my oldest starts middle school I will probably be grading most work so he can get used to a grading system should he chose to enter a high school or to prepare him for college.

My twins are high school so I need to have a letter grade for their transcripts.

Sometimes they get a grade based on # of correct/ # of possible and convert to a percentage. Mostly for math and courses with quizzes/tests that just have right or wrong answers.

For essays, writing papers they are given a letter grade for the assignment.

No- we go over everything thats wrong (idelal,y anyway), so theres not much point in grades.

My kids like grades, but I still dont do it, even now that they are teens.

I honestly think if they go to university and get grades, they will understand what they mean, even if they never got them in childhood. And maybe, maybe, they won't live for the grade the way many people do.