Menu

If you could change your ethnicity....

even just for a day...just to try it out...what other ethnicity would you pick?

When I was a kid my best friend was Korean American. Her mom was from Korea and going to her house was like visiting Korea...the decor, the food, the language, the customs...it was all so interesting.

Years later I had a boyfriend who was Italian. His parents came to the U.S. from Italy, spoke almost no English and it was the same way with them...food, language, traditions, etc...so cool to learn about and experience.

I also lived with a family in Mexico for a while when I was studying there and I got to experience their culture as well (the real thing...not the "Cancun" Mexico).

Living here, there are SO many cultures I see both in the local area and at work. We are always asking each other questions about our cultures. One lady who works with me is from Australia and her accent is so cool and all her little idioms crack me up!!!!

So I was thinking, if I could change my ethnicity and experience that culture as one of them for a time...which would I pick?

Which would you pick?

Honestly? Just Italian.

I'd like to know what it would have been like to grow up in the same country I grew up in, but from the perspective of an ethnic Italian, from an ethnically Italian family. We're Italian Jews, and even though irreligious and culturally much assimilated, we've always been at least a little bit the "other".

Honestly? Just Italian.

I'd like to know what it would have been like to grow up in the same country I grew up in, but from the perspective of an ethnic Italian, from an ethnically Italian family. We're Italian Jews, and even though irreligious and culturally much assimilated, we've always been at least a little bit the "other".

That's interesting. I think one I would like to experience is being Jewish. The have such a long, rich history of great tragedy and great triumphs. I think I am attracted to cultures that are steeped in traditions. I wish my family had more tradition, and not just ones we make up but those that are handed down for hundreds of generations.

Maybe I feel a lack of connectedness to the past? I don't know.

I joke all the time that I have an inner-African woman. My house has lots of African art in it and one of my fovrite painting I've done is of a dark skinned woman.

My first management job, in the Deep South, was working with 32 African-American women, most who were much older, and I'm sure wiser than I. They were quiet at first. I'm sure they watched me and resented me for being their manager at the age of 27, but I worked with them in the thick of it all and we became one supportive group, which is something to be said for any group of women. They watched over me and would even work extra shifts so I could go home and be with my baby, whom I hated to leave. I cherish them and all they taught me.

When my dd was a baby she was very fussy, but would let those women pick her up and hold her when no other stranger could.

My dh went on a mission trip to Africa and brought home even more African art. One day, I was selling a treadmill and an African-American woman came to buy it. I'm pretty sure she saw the tapestry hanging above it and all the others things and thought what's up with this girl?

So, anyway, I think I'd have to be an African-American woman.

I would love to feel what it would be like to be one of those gorgeous African women who, no matter their size- in fact the bigger the better- feel comfortable in their bodies and exude grace and sensuality in the way they move- not to mention their ability to dance and just enjoy their bodies.

This isn't really a change but I would love to go back to the days just before the white man came and be Cherokee in North Carolina.

I am 1/4th Cherokee but I think it would be neat to go back and see their lifestyle, ways, etc. before the white man came.

India

Me, too.

I had a friend during our teen years whose parents immigrated from India. I loved her sari and her family. They were always very nice to me.

Then, as a young adult, my dh and I got to be a part of a mission trip into India. Fascinating country and such beautiful people.

Me, too.

I had a friend during our teen years whose parents immigrated from India. I loved her sari and her family. They were always very nice to me.

Then, as a young adult, my dh and I got to be a part of a mission trip into India. Fascinating country and such beautiful people.

The food, the clothing, the music, the dancing...love it!

I would love to feel what it would be like to be one of those gorgeous African women who, no matter their size- in fact the bigger the better- feel comfortable in their bodies and exude grace and sensuality in the way they move- not to mention their ability to dance and just enjoy their bodies.

Not to mention they look great in colours I couldn't wear in a million years. We had a lot of Somalian women where I used to live. *They* look fabulous in bright orange!

Maasai. And it all stems from seeing pictures of the Maasai in National Geographic when I was a kid and thinking, "Those are the most beautiful people in the whole world." So for vanity's sake. :)

Well let me know if you ever want to go volunteering there, because my sister runs an NGO in Kenya placing volunteers and has a Masaai mother who bought her a goat when she emigrated. </advert.>

One lady who works with me is from Australia and her accent is so cool and all her little idioms crack me up!!!!

Oh yeah, I get that all the time :001_rolleyes: I think you are easily pleased, you got the giggles over me saying "fortnight." :)

Rosie

Edited by Rosie_0801

:iagree:

My best friend growing up had the most beautiful skin, it was a rich brown, but it positively glowed! I would love to be in her skin for a day :)

I think you are easily pleased, you got the giggles over me saying "fortnight." :)

Rosie

:D I am easily amused! Her name is Lydia and she says things like "fairdinkem"...not sure if that's how you spell it but I was like "what in the heck does THAT mean?" :lol:

And the other day a little boy came in with is family and she said "he chucked a mental" in her office. Again I was like "huh?" and she explained it to me and I was rolling. She has the funniest sayings.

I too love the saris the Indian women wear here. They are so beautiful. I don't think I could be Muslim because I would get claustrophobic in those full burkhas but they have some really cool holiday celebrations. Oh, and I agree that Native American would be cool too. A few years ago I watched "Into the West" and I was enthralled with the Native American culture.

Edited by Heather in NC

:D I am easily amused! Her name is Lydia and she says things like "fairdinkem"...not sure if that's how you spell it but I was like "what in the heck does THAT mean?" :lol:

And the other day a little boy came in with is family and she said "he chucked a mental" in her office. Again I was like "huh?" and she explained it to me and I was rolling. She has the funniest sayings.

I love all accents :p

My opa was dutch and had the most incredible accent. I just loved that he would call me 'Yulcha.' I was named for him :)

Dh is Scottish (no accent :( ), but I could listen to his uncles mumble for days ;)

I planned to wear saris when we moved to India, but they are so hot, and I just can't stand wearing any more clothes than necessary in this heat. I think what makes them hot is the full slip/petticoat (?) you have to wear under them.

Anybody BTDT? Do you have to wear the petticoat? Are they as hot as they look? What about cleaning the saris? Can you throw them in the wash, or must you handwash them? Are we talking a lot of work?

That is a very good expression.

And the other day a little boy came in with is family and she said "he chucked a mental" in her office. Again I was like "huh?" and she explained it to me and I was rolling.

That isn't. She hasn't been home in a while? That expression is soooo '90's :lol:

I planned to wear saris when we moved to India, but they are so hot, and I just can't stand wearing any more clothes than necessary in this heat. I think what makes them hot is the full slip/petticoat (?) you have to wear under them.

What fabric are they made of?

Rosie

That isn't. She hasn't been home in a while? That expression is soooo '90's :lol:

Rosie

:lol: Nope, she's been living in Burma and then Malaysia for about a decade or so. Wait till I tell her that phrase is OUT! :D So what replaced it?

Hey, I need a good Aussie phrase I can use with her so I can surprise her! Can ya help me out?

You're asking ethnicity yet some people are putting nationality.

Ethnically, I would prefer to match my hair, which is African in origin (according to every hair stylist in Atlanta). I would also *love* to have some melanin in my skin, as having to take a chem-dip in sunscreen every time I step outside really sucks.

So, I suppose either African or, beyond that, maybe Ashkenazi Jewish?

a

As far as race goes, I'm another light skinned and sun-burn prone person who would like dark skin, so anything Black will do me fine, thanks.

Wrt culture, I can't quite get my head around that; since we are all seeing things from our own cultural paradigm, I would imagine that the exoticism factor of another culture would disappear as soon as I was actually part of it, iykwim.

Edited by Hotdrink

Rosie, that was a very good question! I just asked the cleaning lady, and she said the bra-type thing and the petticoat are cotton, and the wrap is silk. She indicated I could throw them in the wash.

Okay, I may have to take the plunge now.

:lol: Nope, she's been living in Burma and then Malaysia for about a decade or so. Wait till I tell her that phrase is OUT! :D So what replaced it?

Hey, I need a good Aussie phrase I can use with her so I can surprise her! Can ya help me out?

:lol:

My teens say "having a spaz attack" . I say "having a cow" but you know, that could be out of date as well :)

You know we have chooks here instead of chickens? We even have Kentucky Fried Chook. And we run around like chooks with our heads cut off when we are very busy.

To be gobsmacked is to be very surprised.

How about ripsnorter? It means really good. :)

And we just had spag bol for dinner.

We call sausages snags. We cook them on the barbie.

And a yobbo is an almost affectionate term for someone unsavoury such as teens racing in the streets and leaving skid marks, or driving past hanging out the window with beer bottles in their hands wolf whistling at pretty young women. Rough kind of people. Can also be called hoons.

We eat bikkies (cookies) and we have brekkie (breakfast). We eat pav too (pavlova).

Toilets are frequently called dunnies, or at least the loo.

Woop Woop is a term used to describe a place somewhere a long way away, usually outback.

A tinny always refers to a can of beer.

We "veg out" on hot days, holidays, in the evening in front of the TV- just means relax but kind of like becoming a vegetable too :)

SO many more!

My opa was dutch and had the most incredible accent. I just loved that he would call me 'Yulcha.' I was named for him :)

:seeya: Yulcha! That was one of my names too when I was little. But, in Hungarian, that's the form of Julianna you use when someone is naughty. I dreaded hearing my dad call me that. The nicer nickname for Julianna is Yulika and that's still what my dad calls me, because I haven't been naughty in years :lol:.

An Orthodox Jewish Israeli would be my first pick (my husband has been to Israel a few times), but in my heart I crave simplicity in life so the traditional lives of the Amish, Shakers, Native Americans, Japanese, even American Pioneers, and others greatly appeal to me.

:seeya: Yulcha! That was one of my names too when I was little. But, in Hungarian, that's the form of Julianna you use when someone is naughty. I dreaded hearing my dad call me that. The nicer nickname for Julianna is Yulika and that's still what my dad calls me, because I haven't been naughty in years :lol:.

Opa was Dutch :) His name was Julianus, I'm Juliana :)

Lol, always nice to meet a name twin ;)

Like I would know. I'm an old married person now, not a hip young thing!

Rosie, that was a very good question! I just asked the cleaning lady, and she said the bra-type thing and the petticoat are cotton, and the wrap is silk. She indicated I could throw them in the wash.

Okay, I may have to take the plunge now.

You should! I saw some gorgeous outfits a few months ago, but sadly they were made for skinny little Asian chicks, I was so sad! If you have trouble with the cotton underthings, see if you can make some out of a light linen. It breaths better than cotton does, and it's not hard to knock up a shift of some sort.

How about "s/he don't paint my dunny door." This is to be used when someone wants something from you when they wouldn't do anything to help you. That's a charming one from my great-grandmother :D This phrase could be very helpful for all the ladies on here who are feeling guilty about not attending family Thanksgivings. Don't feel guilty, they don't paint your dunny door!

My teens say "having a spaz attack" .

Oh my goodness. Tell your kids that they are soooooo behind the times. No one says that anymore over on the east coast! :lol:

And a yobbo is an almost affectionate term for someone unsavoury such as teens racing in the streets and leaving skid marks, or driving past hanging out the window with beer bottles in their hands wolf whistling at pretty young women. Rough kind of people. Can also be called hoons.

Very useful word, yobbo. Heather, please note that they may only be called hoons if in a car.

A few other niceties:

"You're mad as a cut snake!"

"You're mad as a meat axe!"

:D

We're a polite and friendly bunch ;)

Rosie

I'm happy to be who I am, so wouldn't be interested in changing. Now, if I had the chance to travel back in time, that might change!

It's not really about whether or not you are happy with who you are...I am happy with myself too. It's a hypothetical what-if question...what if you could be a different ethnicity/nationality just for a day or a week...which one would you like to try out? Just like the time travel idea (which, btw, I would travel back to the time of Christ).

It's not really about whether or not you are happy with who you are...I am happy with myself too. It's a hypothetical what-if question...what if you could be a different ethnicity/nationality just for a day or a week...which one would you like to try out? Just like the time travel idea (which, btw, I would travel back to the time of Christ).

Being already able to pass for several ethnicities has allowed me to already sort of try out other ethnicities, and I answered from that perspective earlier.

But I'd try out a different nationality for a week -- I think it's be interesting to be entrenched in a national culture (any, really) for a bit of time and see America from that different perspective, in news and events, etc.

Honestly, there isn't another. *shrug* My dh is Metis, so the culture I was most interested in (First Nations) I basically married into. I've experienced more racism since than in my entire life before (both against my dh by random people, and against me mostly by some of his birth relatives, but also people, mainly, women of his heritage as well). Combined, we have First Nations (myself too, but a great-great grandmother), Norweigan, Swedish, Dutch and English. More than enough to keep me interested :lol: I'd rather be my Canadian self, with all the mixture of heritage and ethnicity, than any single one alone.

That, and I think that the fascination of a culture or ethnicity often comes from outside it more than in it. I've always been interested in Japanese culture, but if I'd grown up in it, I would probably take it for granted, kwim?

Anybody BTDT? Do you have to wear the petticoat? Are they as hot as they look? What about cleaning the saris? Can you throw them in the wash, or must you handwash them? Are we talking a lot of work?

Really? I have worn saris in Sri Lanka, where my dh comes from and I actually found them surprisingly cool! I didn't expect them to feel cool so I was surprised. I suppose it will depend on the fabric, I always wore silk because I wore them to family weddings and functions.