Menu

Anyone here of only one ethnicity, a pure-bred if you will? If not, what's your mix?

isn't it pretty difficult to be an American and NOT have a mixed geneology!? as for me...English, irish, scottish, french (so I'm told)...but on my father's side we have been in America since 1636...so pretty much I just call myself..american...my kids have part native American in them through DH, but I do not. at least, not that I know of...

My dad's dad was from Norway his mother was Swiss German (Amish.) My dad has done his mothers genealogy back to the 1500 in Switzerland and has a great...... grandfather who was burnt at the stake for being an Ana Baptist and then the another being in prison in Prussia before coming to America On Penn's ship the Friendship

My mothers father was English, Scot Irish, and Cherokee and her mother was German, Scot, French, Osage, Fox and Cherokee.

I got to thinking about it while discussing my Irish-ness with dc today. I am only one-fourth Irish, also Italian, German, English, and a tiny bit French... a real European mutt! How about you?

[/i]

I am 100% Belgian and all from the Flanders (no Waloon in me, despite the French first and last names). :001_smile:

I am first generation American. Only one other member of my family my generation or earlier was born outside Belgium and that is my oldest sister. She was born here when my dad did his residency. The siblings between us were all born in Belgium.

Hee hee, I won't know for sure until I send off a sample to the Genographic Project. And even that won't tell me exactly what my ethnicity is.

My grandfather spent years and years compiling 3 huge volumes of genealogical data. He painstakingly typed the entire thing out for every single family member. I could never tell him that I simply don't believe that all those records are accurate. Human beings are simply not that honest. There were all kinds of social reasons to fudge birth records... one inaccurate entry and poof! The whole line is altered.

Edited to add (From the Genographic Project)... bold added by me:

What to Expect

Your results will reveal your deep ancestry along a single line of direct descent (paternal or maternal) and show the migration paths they followed thousands of years ago. Your results will also place you on a particular branch of the human family tree. Some anthropological stories are more detailed than others, depending upon the lineage you belong to. For example, if you are of African descent, your results will show the initial movements of your ancestors on the African continent, but will not reflect most of the migrations that have occurred within the past 10,000 years. Your individual results may confirm your expectations of what you believe your deep ancestry to be, or you may be surprised to learn a new story about your genetic background.

You will not receive a percentage breakdown of your genetic background by ethnicity, race, or geographic origin. Nor will you receive confirmation of an association with a particular tribe or ethnic group.

Furthermore, this is not a genealogy study. You will not learn about your great-grandparents or other recent relatives, and your DNA trail will not necessarily lead to your present-day location. Rather, your results will reveal the anthropological story of your direct maternal or paternal ancestors—where they lived and how they migrated around the world many thousands of years ago.

Edited again... this site will do an ethnicity DNA test, but it's $400! Has anyone ever done one of these? I'd love to hear about your experience, if you did.

100% French.

Historians did my maternal ancestry (I have a famous ancestor...) and it seems everyone was either born in Quebec from French ascent, or freshly of the boat from France. No native blood, no Irish blood, nothing else but French.

As for my father's side, it looks the same way, although the possibility of native blood is there. Some people who married into the family tree may have been metis (half native half european, not sure of the English word for that). We'll never know for sure, but that's at least 4 generations back.

Btw, on my mother's side, we were in Nouvelle France 400 years ago, at the foundation of Quebec City. On my father's side, it's *only* been 200 years in Quebec.

I'm pretty much the closest thing to a pure-bred French-Quebecoise that one can get.

I'm almost completely Puerto Rican except for a tiny bit (maybe 20%) of German on my dad's side.

My mom's family is from Puerto Rico but farther back they are from Spain so we are spaniards. My mom looks completely white, blond hair, very light skin and she is 100%.

WHOA!! Are you SURE we are not seperated? I am also neopolatian!! From Padua...

I wouldn't doubt we are related, although my people were from Ischia, an island in the gulf of Naples. I still have relatives in Abruzzi whom I plan to drop in on some day. :)

I wouldn't doubt we are related, although my people were from Ischia, an island in the gulf of Naples. I still have relatives in Abruzzi whom I plan to drop in on some day. :)

How freaky cool... Any Burzo's(my direct relation) on your side? Romano(not Ray either)? Bernardo?

(Swedish girl) with a wee bit of Scottish and Irish on my mom's side. But dad was a first generation American, both of his parents are from Sweden. My Swedish heritage has always been important to me, and I LOVE my first name, Astrid, which reflects my heritage.

But I married an Irish/French guy, so dd is a bit more of a mutt, and the first brown-eyed member of my family! The whole family was stunned that she wasn't born with blue eyes! But they're beautiful dark brown and fringed with long French lashes, so no one minds!

brought her back as a nine week old pup. Her breeder is Dominique DeWame, and she's from Kennel Lion de la Toison d'Or in Ruisbroek. LOVELY country.....we just adore our Belgian girl, who is, officially:

VLA Ch. Yuma Lion de la Toison d'Or, CDX, DD, TT, CGC, TDI :D

I have German and English ethnic roots, but they're so far back that I wouldn't consider them cultural heritage by any means. I had a wake up call when I lived in England - it didn't take long to realize that I could not, in good faith, describe myself as "English". My family has been in Canada too long to have retained any significant heritage from Germany or England - I'm just a Canadian now : )

All my descendants are english or scotchish except my great grandmother full cherokee indian. Before she married my great grandfather she didn't have a last name. Since I am 1/8 my brothers and sister could actually have benefits from the Cherokee nation. But we never were able to due to poorly kept records. And the fact that my grandfather didn't even have any birth records and he didn't have a middle name.

Dh has some cherokee on his dads side but italian on moms. I love to go to her house and see a picture of her parents, Joseph and Maria Corriere (with was shortened,of course) that was taken the day they became US citizens. They were dressed like they were getting married all over again....:001_wub:

The Cherokee I have never been able to prove, but I can't disprove it either. My father said his great great grandmother was a Cherokee and I can get back about that far and then nothing.... The German, English and Irish are easy. I used to think my maiden name(Beach) was Welsh but I have come to find out it is English.

LOL, Abbey,

The surnames (and ancestors) of my grandparents were German/Swedish/Swiss/Welsh -- 3 of my 4 grandparents were first- or second-generation Americans. The fourth came to the US several generations earlier than the others.

My Swedish great-great-grandfather was a convicted felon and an identity thief -- how does that compare with your horse thieves and Civil War deserters?

Lisa

100% American "mutt"

Ok, my dad researched his family history and got us back to basically Jesus. :001_rolleyes:Yeah--I thought so too.

But he did find alot of interesting stuff about our family.

My dad's side--English (he says mainly from Suffolk) of Viking descent (Hubba the Viking), German, Huegonot French, and Jewish (converted by force to Christianity during the hundred year's war). He thought he would find Scotch-Irish and some Native American but other than a relative living in the Cherokee style of having 2 wives and households back in the 1830's there was none. We had some family come over with the second or third Jamestown charter.

My mom's side--Dutch (a grandmother from Holland) and the rest is probably similiar to my Dad's family since they both families lived in the same area of Kentucky for almost 200 years. My mother says that her Grandmother was 1/2 Native American of Blackfoot (not Blackfeet like in Montana Canada but a smaller tribe in SW US) descent but I couldn't find it when I looked at the notes my uncle had taken on the family history.

Pretty much we have been here forever, have a colorful history including a Revolutionary War Hero with a statue in South Carolina and towns named after him and a spy for the North in the Civil War who has his letters on display in a museum.

If it was a boring family history it wouldn't be as much fun.

both parents mostly Irish...hubby's folks are a 50%Italian 50% Irish mom and a 100% Polish dad...so my kids are a real blend (but still a tad over 50% Irish)!!!!!

Hubby's dad was a first-born American of pure Polish stock, his mom was born of a first-gen. Irish and Italians. My folks, although mostly Irish, date back in this country to waaay BEFORE the Famine drove many Irish here.

...on my biological mother's father's side was Irish, English, Welsh, German and Cherokee. Soooo...all of that is about 1/4. A lot of people who know me say that can see the Native American in me, so maybe I'm getting it from a another bio parent or grandparent. I'm not sure. My adoptive family is mix of Irish, English, German and French.

Dh is 100% Dutch imported from the Netherlands, and ds is Bulgarian/Turk/Gypsy adopted from Bulgaria.

One big melting pot we are!!

Ok, Cleo you've got to tell us who your famous ancestor was. Was it Champlain?

Nope, not Champlain. I think he died childless anyway. Since Helene Boullé stayed in France for most of their married lives...

My ancestor isn't that famous, you probably wouldn't know him, but he's got a statue in Quebec City.

Here's his Wikipedia entry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_H%C3%A9bert

But, it looks like I'm surrounded by my kin!

Scottish and English are the ones I know for sure. But, I figure by now there's a bit of just about everything European in the mix. I always wanted to claim some American Indian heritage, but I don't know of ANY in my family. Wah.

Doran

My mother is Hispanic but since much of Mexico is actually immigrants as well, breaking that down she is about 1/2 French, 3/8 Spanish, 1/8 Native Mexican. A family history was done not long ago and my very prideful Hispanic uncles were a bit put out to find out they're actually half French. :tongue_smilie: Due to my grandfather's side, there is a Spanish coat of arms they tracked it back to which gave a bit of pride back.

My dad's side is a mix of English, Irish, and a few other Northern European groups. My husband is largely English and Welsh.

Very cool, Cleo. And hey, I guess you're grateful that you survived your ice slip - apparently that runs in the family. I haven't heard the names of two of his children before - did those get passed on through the family line at all? Are there more modern variations of them? They probably sound beautiful with a French accent.

I wanted to resurrect an old family name for our last baby, but dh would only consent to have it as a middle name. Cassimier.

Western European. Or, as my mother says of her side of the family, "horse thieves and Civil War deserters". :)

Thats funny, I've got thieves and Civil War deserters in my family too! Hmmmm maybe we're related. :001_huh:

Not like there's really any such thing as full blooded anything, just going back a mere 100 years go to @ 1908 gives most people about 32 different ancestors. There's a slight chance they may all be of the same pureblood ethncity. Go back another hundred to 1808 and now you're talking over 1000 different ancestors (give or take a few, we've been a little less ickly about cousins etc marrying in our past), and there is pretty much *no way* ANYONE is a pureblood anything.

Generally speaking though, in our recent genealogy, my mom's side of the family is predominantly Scots/Irish, and my dad's side of the family is predominantly German.