Menu

Anyone here of only one ethnicity, a pure-bred if you will? If not, what's your mix?

Very cool, Cleo. And hey, I guess you're grateful that you survived your ice slip - apparently that runs in the family. I haven't heard the names of two of his children before - did those get passed on through the family line at all? Are there more modern variations of them? They probably sound beautiful with a French accent.

I'm assuming you're talking about Guillaume and Guillaumette. Guillaume is still well used, but Guillaumette, as a name, is completely forgotten. I'm a descendent of Guillaumette.

My grandfather was a Pole, and dd and I will be visiting his sister over in Warsaw in a few weeks time! Dh's parents are both Poms, as is most of my family background, but he and I are Aussies. The more useful categorisation around here is Deaf/Hearing. He's half-Deaf, I'm hearing and dd is hearing for the moment too. We live in a culturally hard of hearing household.

:)

Rosie- who finds the American pre-occupation with ethnicity to be very interesting.

I'm 100% Polish. I'm actually 4th generation here in america. My great grandparents were all the original "boat people" as we call them. Many of my Aunts have married other ethnicities so the family's "Branched out" so to speak.

My dh is mostly Norweigan, with a bit of German, Polish, English, French and Sweedish in there.

My kids all looked very scandanavian at birth. They all had bright blue eyes, very fair skin and blonde hair. The older one's hair has since turned darker and my dd eye's have changed but my youngest is still got the "norse" look.

They were very excited to do history last week as we were covering the Vikings, Eric the Red and Leif Ericson. They were overjoyed to learn that there are some Vikings in their family tree :lol:

We are German and French Hugenot, with I think a little Sweden in there and definitely some Cherokee.

A Frenchman on my mother's side of the family married a Cherokee girl from the Trail of Tears, and she didn't have to complete that awful journey.

I always thought it was sad that no one remembered her name.

...on my biological mother's father's side was Irish, English, Welsh, German and Cherokee. Soooo...all of that is about 1/4. A lot of people who know me say that can see the Native American in me, so maybe I'm getting it from a another bio parent or grandparent. I'm not sure. My adoptive family is mix of Irish, English, German and French.

Dh is 100% Dutch imported from the Netherlands, and ds is Bulgarian/Turk/Gypsy adopted from Bulgaria.

One big melting pot we are!!

I'm also adopted, so I don't know much about my biological heritage. Many, many people have commented that they "see" Native American in me as well. Probably Cherokee (I'm from the southeast). I do know that my bio mom had the coloring one would expect of a Native American. My bio dad, however, was fair-skinned with blonde hair and blue eyes. I have fair skin but dark hair and hazel eyes. Who knows.

The one thing I can say with certainty, is that I "feel" like I am descended from Native Americans. Can't explain why, but I have felt that way, strongly, all my life. I'm fairly certain I was convinced of the fact, before I even understood about being adopted.

I would sure love to get genetic testing done, but I don't know that I could justify the $$. Maybe if I sell a bunch of books this summer, or something.

Would that be Native American, then? Everyone else's "American" ancestors came from somewhere else. Since I'm in Alaska, we have many folks descended from the Russians (original non-Native settlers of Alaska). We also have Tlingit, Tsimshian, and Haida natives. Lots of folks from Mexico, Central America, Hawaii and the Phillipines (sp) as well.

Let's see. I am Norse/Viking, Scottish, Irish. Burn easily. :) The Norse/Viking folks invaded/settled in Britain (can you tell I'm not taking sides here?) and one of my direct ancestors is Lord North, advisor to King George during the Revolutionary War. The "North" surname of course means "those folks who came here from the north."

Fun thread.

Julie

How freaky cool... Any Burzo's(my direct relation) on your side? Romano(not Ray either)? Bernardo?

My family name is Pettine, which means "comb" in Italian. Many of my relatives were and apparently still are barbers. No Burzos, Romanos or Bernardos that I know of.

My mom's ancestry is English/Scottish. My Father was a Russian Jew.

My husband's ancestors were from Turkey. His grandmothers were Armenian Christians and his grandfathers were Turkish Christians (who spoke arabic). They were forced out of Turkey during the Armenian genocide in the early part of the 20th century.

So my kids have arabs, jews, protestants and catholics in their not too distant ancestry!

I'm half Icelandic, descended from many famous Icelanders, and some infamous ones, too. I will say that one of my ancestors was born in Vinland, which means his mother was, too, and she made a pilgrimage to Rome after she lived in Vinland. Travellers in my family going way back!

Not sure what to call my dad's side--Prussian or German? They all spoke German and were both religious and cultural Mennonites for a long time. Centuries. There may be a tiny bit of Russian left from one intermarriage way back in my family tree (and the term Russ is from the Scandinavians who "civilized" Russia;).

Dh is 100 percent Norwegian stock.

My background is Amish / Mennonite. The first of my ancestors came over to Pennsylvania in 1742. My children are mixed, though, they have German and Yaqui Indian added in.

I noticed some of you had ancestors coming from Alsace-Lorraine. Many Swiss Ana-Baptists moved there from Switzerland and then they or their descendents migrated to America. We might be related! :)

Jenelle

.... Celtic, Anglo-Saxon, Viking, French, Jewish, Norman ......

Where does 'pure' come into that, I wonder?

Laura

I wondered the same thing. It reminds me of the old Pete Seeger album my parents had called Strangers and Cousins. But I answered anyway, interpreting it as national heritage.

brought her back as a nine week old pup. Her breeder is Dominique DeWame' date=' and she's from Kennel Lion de la Toison d'Or in Ruisbroek. LOVELY country.....we just adore our Belgian girl, who is, officially:

VLA Ch. Yuma Lion de la Toison d'Or, CDX, DD, TT, CGC, TDI :D[/quote']

Wow that is a long way to go for a dog!

Unfortunately I don't think my pedigree is as refined as your furry friend!:lol: