Menu

Would you buy a house that has been owned by a smoker?

There's this house that we like. In a perfect area, lake, historic, just gorgeous property and remodeled, BUT the widower who owns it smokes.

It's not a heavy *coughsputterwheeze* smell, but it's there, and it's one of the only things that is keeping us from putting the house on the short list.

Apart from ripping up carpeting, is there anything a person can do to get the smoke smell out of a house?

Have you ever bought a house from a smoker, and if you did, what was your experience?

I bought a house that smokers and lovers of all things gross inside.... had owned... and then they were foreclosed on....

My Aunt and Mom spent hours putting it back together...

The carpet ripped up.... this special sealer on all the wood under the carpet... and then carpeted with fresh carpet. Walls with the TPD and then the special paint for sealing them... and then the paint color I wanted....

All other surfaces TPD (is that what it's called??) Cute house though... and worth it for the price... BUT, I got the easy job of going to work while my Aunt and Mom worked on my house!!

Carrie

The only way I would buy a home from a smoker is if I had plenty of time before moving in to remediate. I am very sensitive to smoke so it would be a must. We almost bought a house from a heavy smoker. When we asked around what to do, we were told to get rid of all soft surfaces (carpets, drapes, wallpaper), wash the walls with TSP, Kilz and repaint everything, including ceilings, possibly tear out vinyl floors, seal wood floors or refinish them. We were set to do this, but we lost the house in a bidding war.

I have no idea if this make a perceptible difference. We had the windows washed on our former house by a service. The guy said he can tell if there are or had been smokers in the house. He said if there are not, the window rinse water runs clear to grayish. If there are smokers, it runs yellow.

We can't buy a house that had a smoker as previous owner. For health reasons.....

All of us are asthmatics. One of the children has severe asthma and a scar tissue on his lung from it collapsing last year. So NO previous smoker owned home is allowed for us.

This son of mine struggles even in a restaurant that has a smoking section so we avoid those and just go to restaurants that are smoke free. :)

Holly

We can't buy a house that had a smoker as previous owner. For health reasons.....

All of us are asthmatics. One of the children has severe asthma and a scar tissue on his lung from it collapsing last year. So NO previous smoker owned home is allowed for us.

This son of mine struggles even in a restaurant that has a smoking section so we avoid those and just go to restaurants that are smoke free. :)

Holly

I am SO glad that Florida has a law for smoke free restaurants. I would have had to stop going to them long ago.

I don't think it requires a monumental effort to get rid of a smoke smell, so if you love the house, I think it's do-able.

If the carpets are in good shape, a professional cleaning should remove the smell. You can wash the walls and ceiling down with a bleach or vinegar solution, and that should take care of those odors. If there's any staining on the walls or ceilings, you can repaint them after washing them, but you don't need Kilz or any special paint. Washing the windows is also a good idea, and of course, you'll want to air the house out as often, as you can, until the smell goes away. Throw out the window treatments or, if you love them, send them to the cleaners and they'll take care of the odor issue.

It will take a bit of effort to remove the smoke smell, but if you think about it, every "remedy" I've recommended is something you'd probably do in any home you purchased unless it had been recently remodeled and refurbished.

Cat

We bought a house years ago that had been owned by a heavy smoker.

We ended up ripping up all the carpet and padding, KILZ' ing the underlayment, and having new pad and carpet laid in 3 bedrooms and laminate flooring in the rest of the house.

We removed wallpaper and border (with a steam machine - YUCK - the water was nasty yellow), then we KILZ'ed everything, then repainted.

It can be done... with a lot of elbow grease. ;)

I would, but only if I could do a lot of work before moving in. All carpet would have to come up and all the wall surfaces would have to be washed and then sealed. Particular attention to any wood in the house as it will be covered in nicotine--those will have to be cleaned/refinished/repainted. We re did a house for my Mom that had been HEAVILY smoked in--everything was yellow. After tearing out carpet (we did tear out the kitchen), and cleaning (TSP) and sealing (BIN primer/sealer) the walls, you couldn't tell a smoker had lived there. It was A LOT of work and I'd only do it again if the house was perfect.

ETA: When you repaint, make sure to seal the walls before painting your final color. That way they won't 'weep'.

Edited by Thea

I'm super-sensitive to cigarette smell, and I was thinking there is NO WAY I'd purchase a home from a "smoker", but then I remember I DID JUST THAT :lol:

We did rip-out all the carpeting (and re-finished the oak floors revealed underneath), removed the wallpaper, cleaned the walls with TSP and re-painted the house.

We also removed and replaced all the insulation in the attic, which was a big job but so key!

So there was some labor involved (I won't lie) but there was no lingering after-effect of being in a home that had been smoked in for years that I could sense, and I'm petty keen to such things.

Best wishes on the house!

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

Yes, that's true, but I'm afraid of ripping up the carpet and STILL having that smell permeated into the walls and then having to strip the house down to the studs and start over.

I don't think that would happen. With new carpet and fresh paint and using a system like mentioned above you shoud be fine.

Not if you by any chance have any lung issues or are allergic to it. We have both and the amount of work involved is too much to make it worth while unless the house is WELL BELOW and way below retail and you stand to make a small fortune on it.

All surfaces wall, painted or wallpapered, floors - carpet, wood, vinyl, must be washed, stripped, sealed and then fixed to your liking. Carpet padding will hold the smell no matter what. Depending on how long and how heavy of a smoker, you may have to rip out sheet rock and replace the wall insulation. All vents and duct work is better to just rip out and trash and replace with new as even the best service can't clean the nicotine out of the ducts. Air unit and heat unit must be serviced, cleaned and the coils worked over to get rid of the nicotine. Attic insulation is a must go. Anything soft is a must go. Appliances that remain must have their coils cleaned too.

If you live where the days get really hot and humidity is an issue, you will be able to smell the ever so faint smell of smoke if you cut any corners. Also if it rains and the house has been shut up while you are gone, the smell will be there instead of musty rain smell.

Good luck with your decision!! IT can be done.

I don't think it requires a monumental effort to get rid of a smoke smell, so if you love the house, I think it's do-able.

If the carpets are in good shape, a professional cleaning should remove the smell. You can wash the walls and ceiling down with a bleach or vinegar solution, and that should take care of those odors. If there's any staining on the walls or ceilings, you can repaint them after washing them, but you don't need Kilz or any special paint. Washing the windows is also a good idea, and of course, you'll want to air the house out as often, as you can, until the smell goes away. Throw out the window treatments or, if you love them, send them to the cleaners and they'll take care of the odor issue.

It will take a bit of effort to remove the smoke smell, but if you think about it, every "remedy" I've recommended is something you'd probably do in any home you purchased unless it had been recently remodeled and refurbished.

Cat

Baking soda too, baking soda on the carpets, let it sit (for awhile) and it will soak up much of the odor. Scouring the walls with baking soda, vinegar, and water will get the tar off. Really, you can get rid of the smell without gutting the house :p

We bought our first home from a heavy smoker. I was concerned with the smoke smell (gives me a headache), but it eventually dissipated. We did not remove the carpeting. Shampoo the carpeting, wash or paint the walls. If it has a textured ceiling you may want to paint it. Wash the drapery, windows, kitchen cabinets. That should get rid of the smoke "film."

Now, if you're allergic to smoke, don't buy it. If you just hate it, then a good cleaning should to the trick.

:iagree:

If you're willing to replace the carpet, I don't see why not. I'm sure most of the smell is in furniture, which he would presumably be taking with him. You will need to wipe down all walls and windows, mirrors and ALL other surfaces. Maybe even repaint ceilings. If it's remodeled recently though, it may not even be that bad.

There's this house that we like. In a perfect area, lake, historic, just gorgeous property and remodeled, BUT the widower who owns it smokes.

It's not a heavy *coughsputterwheeze* smell, but it's there, and it's one of the only things that is keeping us from putting the house on the short list.

Apart from ripping up carpeting, is there anything a person can do to get the smoke smell out of a house?

Have you ever bought a house from a smoker, and if you did, what was your experience?

I personally couldn't. The smell of smoke (especially old smoke that has sat around for a long time) makes me sick to my stomach. It also messes with my sinuses (of course, so does everything else). If it doesn't bother you too much, then sure.

To get the smell *completely* out, you would have to gut the house. It is not just in the carpeting....it is in the drywall, the light fixtures, the sub-floor. It is amazing how that smell gets into things.

ETA: Looks like some other posters had better ways of cleaning it. I am glad it can be done with the KILZ stuff. That would be a lot easier than gutting the house! LOL

Edited by Tree House Academy

We watch many of those home improvement shows on TV and this is a common problem. Recently on one they were repairing a house that had actually had a house fire. To prevent the wood from smelling, it was first cleaned, then special primer was used on all the surfaces to block/kill any remaining smells. It was a fairly pricey paint and primer but apparently it works well. If it was me, I would want to repaint and seal all surfaces - walls, ceilings... Don't forget though that the smoke smell can also get into heating and cooling systems, especially if they are not well maintained. You may want to have them cleaned as well. The last owner of our house smoked and for a long time we could smell the smoke when the heat or air came on. Not a lot, but lightly, and usually at the beginning of a cycle or if we had been away from the house. Finally we had them cleaned and the smell went away. The rest of our house was cement walls and hardwood or tile floors. They didn't seem to retain much smell, especially after being refinished.

Baking soda too, baking soda on the carpets, let it sit (for awhile) and it will soak up much of the odor. Scouring the walls with baking soda, vinegar, and water will get the tar off. Really, you can get rid of the smell without gutting the house :p

Absolutely! I don't think the more "extreme" measures that have been mentioned are necessary in most cases. You definitely don't have to refinish floors or take down the sheetrock! It's amazing what you can accomplish with a thorough cleaning. You'd probably only need a professional to handle cleaning the ductwork and (possibly) the carpeting.

Cat

Edited by Catwoman

Absolutely! I don't think the more "extreme" measures that have been mentioned are necessary in most cases. You definitely don't have to refinish floors or take down the sheetrock! It's amazing what you can accomplish with a thorough cleaning. You'd probably only need a professional to handle cleaning the ductwork and (possibly) the carpeting.

Cat

I agree extreme measure probably won't be needed. New carpet, new paint, thorough cleaning.

We bought a smoker's house for the same reasons you are considering it. We did not remove the carpet, just shampooed it twice. However, the walls were the problem. After scrubbing with TSP, painting with Kilz added, and living with what we thought was perfection for a few months, we noticed walls beginning to ooze a bit near the ceiling. The golden stuff turned out to be nicotine leaching from the walls! It took 2 more scrubbings and repaintings over two years for it to stop. The odor was the easier thing to remove!

Absolutely! I don't think the more "extreme" measures that have been mentioned are necessary in most cases. You definitely don't have to refinish floors....

Cat

To be clear, in my own case, the re-finishing the floors (after pulling out the carpets) was done because the floors needed to be re-finished, and not because we needed to sand off nicotine. I regret any confusion my inclusion of extraneous information may have caused.

Bill (a nut, but not that big a nut ;))

To be clear, in my own case, the re-finishing the floors (after pulling out the carpets) was done because the floors needed to be re-finished, and not because we needed to sand off nicotine. I regret any confusion my inclusion of extraneous information may have caused.

Us as well. We refinished the hardwood floors because they needed it. We also took out the linolium and put in tile becuase the linolium had been put down around 1972 - judging by the color LOL.

if it is an old house with metal ductwork, ductcleaning services can clean them (one of the other posters said it couldn't be done), but imo it needs to be one of the steam/brush/vacuum types of cleaning that cleans each duct run, all the way from the air handling unit to each individual vent, not just a brushing/vac from the vent five or ten feet in, like many companies do. If it is a newer house with fiber and foil ductwork, I wouldn't buy it unless I were willing and able to afford replacing the ductwork.

BTW, that is a btdt recommendation.

That's a relief, Bill, because I was starting to wonder if the smell could permeate the hardwood floors!

(And I'm a nut, too! ;) )

Cat