Menu

s/o...one more time (October Version)...Will you get the H1N1 Vaccine?

Will you/your family (or HAVE you/your family) take(n) the H1N1 Vaccine?  

1. 1. Will you/your family (or HAVE you/your family) take(n) the H1N1 Vaccine?

• We/someone in our family actually already got our H1N1 Vaccines
    • YES! When they are available...
    • On the fence still...
    • No...and my mind is made up!

I have to ask again because I see so many people changing their minds now. I would love to compare this new poll results to the one I posted back at the beginning of September and just see the difference. My thought is that a lot of people have changed their minds. Let's see. :)

Will you get the H1N1 Vaccine for yourself/dh/kids?

I just don't know. I was a definite no before, but now I'm on the fence. One minute I'm saying yes and the next no.

There is a perfectly healthy football player not far from us who is fighting for his life at the children's hospital. Perfectly healthy teen boy. Scares me. My boys are SO healthy. I honestly don't remember the last time my oldest was sick, and it still scares me.

I honestly don't think it matters. I called our peds doctor to find out if they have the vax yet, and they don't. Plus they have no idea when/if they will. The public schools all around us are starting to give it to ps kids. Our local school will next week. I think by the time it reaches the health dept or doctor's offices, it won't matter. I'm sure we've been exposed already. A family in our homeschool group had it a couple weeks ago, and I have two kids who do sports.

Still I just don't know.

Btw, Rebecca--I thought of you tonight at my youngest son's soccer practice. A mom said her son missed the game last week because he had the croop. She went on and on about how sick he was last week and how he STILL is.....but there he was, out there practicing with all the other kids on a cool night. :glare: Felt SO bad for HIM because he obviously wasn't not 100% (he kept having to stop to catch his breath) and SO mad at her for bringing him anyway.

The early results are a lot different than the first poll, way back when. Wow. We said no at first too and are on the fence now. I want to say "No" and it scares the daylights out of me...but so does the swine flu. I have no way of knowing if we already had it...and that makes it much worse. If I knew that we had had it, then I would definitely turn down the vaccine.

Btw, Rebecca--I thought of you tonight at my youngest son's soccer practice. A mom said her son missed the game last week because he had the croop. She went on and on about how sick he was last week and how he STILL is.....but there he was, out there practicing with all the other kids on a cool night. :glare: Felt SO bad for HIM because he obviously wasn't not 100% (he kept having to stop to catch his breath) and SO mad at her for bringing him anyway.

Are people just nuts or what? And all these parents are sending kids who have had croop or strep back to school too soon with weakened immune systems and they are getting the swine flu and becoming REALLY sick. I have a friend who did this and her kids are now fighting pneumonia from the swine flu. :( The are getting better, though.

In other news, I went out today (for the first time in a week - we are just staying in a bit more lately) and was hacked on by a 2 year old in a bookstore. Do 2 year olds cover their mouths when they cough? Um, no. They hack in whatever direction they are facing and snot/spit comes flying when they do. NICE!

No, we don't get the reg. flu shot either. We don't go out much. Wed. & Sun. is about it.

We'll just double up on our Berry Well & Supermom, Superdad & Superkid vitamins.

Only thing I'm worried about is my youngest son puts his hands in his mouth all the time. None of my other dc had that habit:001_huh:. Trying to break that bad habit of his.

A couple of local schools have shut down for the week due to H1N1, and one of my dc is showing most of the symptoms, so I think we're getting our flu the old fashioned way, by having it.

That said, I still suspect the risks from the vaccine are higher than from the flu, though both have *real* risks. I'd rather have just avoided the flu, which I still suspect would have been possible with a quick quarantine at the beginning of the disease cycle.

That said, I still suspect the risks from the vaccine are higher than from the flu, though both have *real* risks. I'd rather have just avoided the flu, which I still suspect would have been possible with a quick quarantine at the beginning of the disease cycle.

<bold mine> what H1N1 vaccine risks have you read/heard about that are worse than intubation, secondary strep infection in the lungs, and death (all risks of the H1N1 flu itself)? Or are you suspecting that the vaccine will have a higher than 1% mortality rate?

We will not be getting the vax. If things were to get really bad, I will just quarantine the kids and myself in the house. If they were to get really really bad and their were still vaxs available we would reconsider.

I have a serious fear (possibly irrational) of new vaccines (and of new medicines). I suppose I have that luxury since no one in my family is high risk.

I have to ask again because I see so many people changing their minds now. I would love to compare this new poll results to the one I posted back at the beginning of September and just see the difference. My thought is that a lot of people have changed their minds. Let's see. :)

Will you get the H1N1 Vaccine for yourself/dh/kids?

Yep, we have all already gotten the H1N1 vaccine as well as the seasonal flu vaccine. :D

A couple of local schools have shut down for the week due to H1N1, and one of my dc is showing most of the symptoms, so I think we're getting our flu the old fashioned way, by having it.

I'm sorry but I completely, totally and 100% disagree with this.

Thousands of people die every single year from the flu. That is a documented fact! I don't remember the last time anyone has died from the vaccine even though thousands upon thousands of people receive it every year. I'm sure perhaps someone somewhere maybe has but the vaccine risk does not even compare to the risk of the flu. There are years and years of documented statistics supporting this.

This is just completely inaccurate information and it is this kind of information that inhibits people from making accurately educated choices regarding vaccination.

The whole family will get the H1N1 shot or mist when it is available. The mist is available first (Nov. 1) so we might get it then.

All three of our kids got the seasonal flu shot a couple of weeks ago. Our dd got the swine flu mist (which I initially said we wouldn't do... wanted to get the shot instead) last Friday. My two ds got the swine flu mist today. I am thinking I might at least get the swine flu mist and not the seasonal one.

Any reaction to the mist?

We had a hig percentage of our high school out with it 2 weeks ago but things have moved down to the junior high.

We normally don't get the seasonal flu shots but we have 3 people with asthma in the house plus one who gets hit really, really hard with flu and colds so I've decided we're getting it. Also, I'm scheduled for a surgery in December that really needs to happen so I'm hoping to keep us healthy.

No, we won't be getting it. Our youngest actually has it right now and is on Tamiflu. Symptoms started Monday and she seems to be feeling a little better this AM. The rest of us are popping supplements, quarantining ourselves, and hoping we don't get it:)

While we plan to get this vaccine, there is a caveat. As slowly as the vaccine is being made available, and as prevalent as the virus is, we may well get the flu before we ever get a chance at the vaccine.

If even one member of this household gets the H1N1 flu, we won't bother with the vaccine.

Each morning I wake up and read the news. At that time I also check for the availability of the vaccine. So far, it's not been available. There is a real possibility we'll be infected with the virus before we get a chance at the vaccine. Several families in our area are already infected.

Edited by Elizabeth Conley

That Mercola video is startling. Something that worries me NOW is overvaccination. Have I over-vaccinated my kids by getting them the flu shot for the last 5 years? There seems to be some information that suggests that people who have taken the flu shot for YEARS are MORE LIKELY to have adverse reactions to the flu itself. :( If that is true, it really makes me angry! It was out of fear - after seeing my older son struggle with the flu at the age of 4 - that I started getting the flu shots for the kids in the first place. Now, I wonder if I made a very wrong choice and a "day late, dollar short" kind of way? :(

A local high school just closed for the week as over 40% of the students are out with the flu...

next Monday there is a shot clinic after school at the nearest high school and I imagine it will be a madhouse!!!!

Are you talking about the St. Charles school? Isn't that unbelievable. Almost 1,000 kids sick out of a class just over 2000.

I'm still so unsure about getting the shot. I asked my daughter's chiropractic neurologist and he definitely didn't think dd should get the shot because she is immunocompromised.

Nope. If anyone is interested in this video I received this morning, it seems quite balanced and informative.

Well, I wouldn't say unbiased. Last I checked, Mercola doesn't believe in germ theory. I don't discount everything he says but I think he's misleading the general population - which has a baseline health status which is NOT conducive to mustering an appropriate immune response (due to lifestyle, diet, etc.)

And paradoxically, some of the hardest hit are people with very good immune systems. I think the jury is still out whethere we're seeing true cytokine storm, but we're definitely seeing an intense immune response which is leading to strange pulmonary effects and results in respiratory techs not being able to ventilate people. This is in previously health people with well functioning immune systems.

The truth is it's mild for many people but strikes hard at some and in some places up to 50% of the hospitalized cases are people who have no underlying conditions and no risk factors. We don't know why this is happening but it doesn't appear to be a problem of lack of immune function. Just 'being healthy' and having a 'good immune system' are not enough for some people. This is what we need to wrap our heads around & the reasons for it is what the scientists are frantically trying to figure out.

Yes. Our son has reactive airway disease and his breathing troubles are triggered by viral infections. The last time he got sick, he ended up in the ER because the nebulizer and his meds weren't enough to get things under control.

My husband is a Marine and will be getting it this month. But the clinic won't have enough vaccinations for the dependents, so we'll have to pay for ours elsewhere.

There seems to be some information that suggests that people who have taken the flu shot for YEARS are MORE LIKELY to have adverse reactions to the flu itself. :(

Can you point me to this study? I'm aware of the Canadian "study", but since it hasn't been published and no one seems to know anything about the methods, it's much too early to make any policy changes or recommendations yet.

I don't know of any biological reason that annual flu shots would make someone have more adverse reactions to flu. I would not be surprised though, that if you simply compared 2 groups of people (one with annual flu shots and the other with no flu shots) you might find the vaccinated group to have more problems. I would guess (although I can't back this up with data) that people with medical problems are more likely to get the flu vaccine. They see their doctors more frequently, are at higher risk, and would be more likely to have the vaccine offered to them. Those factors that make it more likely that they are vaccinated are the factors that would make it more likely they would have more flu-related complications. This kind of bias, or confounding, is always a problem in observational studies. The groups being compared are different to begin with on very important factors, and if you can't control for those factors, it makes any associations you find suspect.

There isn't any reason to think that the vaccine itself would cause more adverse effects.

I didn't participate in the previous poll. I've decided that if there's a serious outbreak in my local area, I think we'll get it, but if it outbreaks stay relatively low around here then I'll just keep up a preventative regimine.

My preventative regimine is black elderberry syrup 1 tsp / day, Vitamin D3 5000 IU per day for me and 1000 IU per day for the children, 1 piece of fresh fruit per day, 2 tsp cod liver oil per day, 1 tsp of probiotic powder per day, lots of water, and limit sugar intake. I will still drink coffee every morning, and a hard lemonade or glass of wine in the evening, even though that's not recommended by the naturopaths. ;)

Can you point me to this study? I'm aware of the Canadian "study", but since it hasn't been published and no one seems to know anything about the methods, it's much too early to make any policy changes or recommendations yet.

I don't know of any biological reason that annual flu shots would make someone have more adverse reactions to flu. I would not be surprised though, that if you simply compared 2 groups of people (one with annual flu shots and the other with no flu shots) you might find the vaccinated group to have more problems. I would guess (although I can't back this up with data) that people with medical problems are more likely to get the flu vaccine. They see their doctors more frequently, are at higher risk, and would be more likely to have the vaccine offered to them. Those factors that make it more likely that they are vaccinated are the factors that would make it more likely they would have more flu-related complications. This kind of bias, or confounding, is always a problem in observational studies. The groups being compared are different to begin with on very important factors, and if you can't control for those factors, it makes any associations you find suspect.

There isn't any reason to think that the vaccine itself would cause more adverse effects.

:iagree: You must compare "apples" and "oranges" in order to get an accurate analysis. Since the population they are looking at do not have the same risk factors, etc. to begin with the results of studies like this would be bias and probably don't hold much scientific weight.

I also don't think the vaccine itself would cause more adverse effects. It just doesn't biologically make sense.

Some places *have* made policy changes though - I think about half of our provinces have chosen to delay the seasonal vaccine until AFTER the H1N1 vaccine. Our current province (alberta) hasn't, but our former province (PEI) has. I think it's PEI, Ontario, Quebec, and Saskatchewan... I thought B.C was delaying as well...

It puzzles me. Each province has the right to do things as they see fit - and if the medical knowledge/education is the same across the board, why the difference of opinions on whether to delay, on that study, etc?

Some places *have* made policy changes though - I think about half of our provinces have chosen to delay the seasonal vaccine until AFTER the H1N1 vaccine.

BC rolled out the seasonal only for high risk & over 65's. Availability is moderate from what I'm hearing. The rest of the roll out is supposed to happen in January.

Color me cynical but I think $ is an unspoken of issue in this decision, as well as the broader issue of logistics. I don't think the regular PH staffing will be sufficient to do a mass H1N1 rollout of the type they're envisioning. When it comes to pulling in people out of retirement or licencing pharmacists to administer the injections, there will always be the issue of salaries and training etc etc. The more they can spread this out over weeks and months, the more the regular staff will be able to handle it. That's just my speculation on this .... no inside info on this :-)

Some places *have* made policy changes though -

I know. I think they're making a mistake.

...and see, this is where I get tangled up. We were supposed to go get our seasonal flu shots on Saturday - and we didn't. I started reading about how those provinces had chosen to delay and got worried. {We've never done the regular flu shot before - the kids and I, that is. Dh did it once} ....the only reason we even have a *choice* to make is because we moved last year. If we hadn't, we'd be back on PEI and it wouldn't be a choice we had to make.

I keep thinking..do the medical authorities in *those* places know something more? Is there someone with more knowledge making the call than in the provinces that aren't delaying? If we go and get it here - what happens if next week our current province realizes they made the BAD choice and should have also delayed? What if choosing to go ahead with the seasonal vaccine does indeed double our chances or catching H1N1 -- and I've gone and made that choice for my kids....what if they catch it - because of my choice -- and get severely ill...or worse? All because I went with the recommendations of Alberta instead of our home province?

My choice - and it would only be mine, because dh doesn't weigh in on these things, he just tells me to do whatever I choose - could have bad repercussions on my kids. That's not a comfortable thought.

Gah. And that doesn't even touch on the H1N1 vaccine and all my fears with that one - I have a friend, another homeschooling mom, who told me that the "adjuvant" they're using in Canada is the same one they used during the Gulf War on the guys for the Anthrax vaccine and it caused a lot of horrible problems. :001_huh:

{and we may have already HAD the H1N1 flu in late March. Wish I knew if it was!}

It's a bit scary inside my head today, seems. D'oh!

This mostly came from reading an article in Natural News on how vaccines actually lower your immunity to the flu because your immune system gets "lazy" and expects the weakened form of the virus, thus it doesn't cause a robust or lasting immune response. I am no doctor and I dont' know how true that is. Some of the comments on the article said things like, "Hey...wait a minute! We don't vaccinate for flu...BUT what about smallpox and polio. If we didn't vaccinate for those, they would still be out there killing lots of people. Now, those diseases are almost unheard of in the US. It HAS to be creditied to the vaccination efforts!

This mostly came from reading an article in Natural News on how vaccines actually lower your immunity to the flu because your immune system gets "lazy" and expects the weakened form of the virus, thus it doesn't cause a robust or lasting immune response. I am no doctor and I dont' know how true that is. Some of the comments on the article said things like, "Hey...wait a minute! We don't vaccinate for flu...BUT what about smallpox and polio. If we didn't vaccinate for those, they would still be out there killing lots of people. Now, those diseases are almost unheard of in the US. It HAS to be creditied to the vaccination efforts!

Yep, small pox and polio did not just magically disappear. They only became scarce because of the ability to vaccinate against them therefore protecting "billions" of people from them over many, many years.

This is a wonderful example of how vaccines can and do protect the masses. The flu vaccine is no different. I believe that it would greatly diminish the flu globally if virtually everyone was vaccinated like they are from small pox and polio.

I'm another person who went from "no" to "on the fence". Factors influencing my decision:

I'm pg, and last time I was pg I came down w/ the flu, followed by opportunistic pneumonia. L was born prematurely as a result. The entire birth experience/ long slow recovery from pnuemonia is not anything I ever want to experience again. I had the opportunity to let dh give me the flu shot that year, and decided against it. It made me wonder, when sick in the hospital, whether any of this would have happened had I gone ahead and gotten the shot. At that point, I really wished I had.

Reading the actual package inserts for the sine flu vax on the FDA website.

Coming to understand (from discussions here) that the "fast-tracking" had more to do with the paperwork/beaurocracy end of things than anything else, and that the swine flu vax is much like the seasonal flu vax except w/ a different strain.

Yesterday I went in to dh's work and had dh give me the seasonal flu shot. First time I've ever gotten it. So far, I feel fine. Hoping it was the right decision... He doesn't have the monovalent H1N1 vax in yet, but I'd have to wait a month before getting it anyway. I'll make the decision if/when he gets it. Still not sure whether to vax the dc, though I'm leaning toward doing so at this point. Maybe. :tongue_smilie:

There seems to be some information that suggests that people who have taken the flu shot for YEARS are MORE LIKELY to have adverse reactions to the flu itself.

This mostly came from reading an article in Natural News on how vaccines actually lower your immunity to the flu because your immune system gets "lazy" and expects the weakened form of the virus, thus it doesn't cause a robust or lasting immune response. I am no doctor and I dont' know how true that is.

What Natural News prints isn't evidence, it's uninformed speculation and fear mongering.

It's true that vaccines often don't cause as robust of an immune response as natural infection. That's why we need tetanus boosters every 10 years, for instance. But it doesn't make you any more susceptible to tetanus. Their explanation doesn't make sense.