Menu

Kitchen Aid stand mixers---are they worth the $$

I've thought about getting one of these for quite some time, but am wondering, are they really worth the money? Their price range is anywhere between $199 - $399, depending on the model and perhaps the retailer.

My main interest in buying one is to knead bread dough. I love making homemade bread in the winter, but I don't like the time it takes to knead the bread. It would be nice to put it in a mixer, turn it on and let it go, and come back to a nicely-kneaded ball of dough, ready to rise.

Does the Kitchen Aid mixer work nicely with bread dough, without the dough sticking to the bread dough hooks---or beaters, or whatever they're called?

Thanks in advance for your tips and advice!

YES YES YES YES YES. Is that enough yesses? Mine even has a name: Blue Thunder :lol: thanks to a funny thread a few weeks ago.

I've had mine since 1996, although it has seen its heaviest use the past 3 years. I use it easily 5 times a week, mainly for bread-baking of all types, including heavy whole-grain doughs. I transitioned from a bread machine a few years ago to the KA and have never looked back.

If you have a Costco nearby and you are a member, check out what they have to offer. Often, they have a high-end model with lots of additional attachments.

Also, go to the kitchenaid website, and look at their "outlet" for refurbs and other deals (discontinued colors, etc). ...you can often get a very high end model re-furbed for much less.

I should note, though, that Cooks Illustrated reviewed stand mixers last year, and the Cuisinart beat out the KA just by a hair for a few very nice, but not necessarily necessary, options (not power-related), so you may want to look at theirs as well.

ETA:

As to your other questions about sticking, etc, that all really does depend upon the dough. Some dough is supposed to stick to the dough hook, as some doughs have higher hydration levels. Some dough takes 5 minutes to knead, some takes 10, depending upon the gluten-development required. It's not going to be like a bread machine, but you will have MUCH better results, and much more flexibility.

Edited by BikeBookBread

I love my professional series Kitchenaide! If you are going to be making whole wheat bread, I would definitely recommend the higher wattage (which of course means more $$$). I got one this summer, after my 2nd bread machine broke, and I use it 2 times a week for making whole wheat bread. I absolutely love it! I also love it for making cakes and stuff. I don't use it for muffins and quick breads because it is too easy to over mix them.

Yes, many times over. It does everything well.

If you get one on sale at QVC.com, you can get any color you want and get many of the accessories with it for free.

The one thing I would do differently is to get the tilt-back head instead of the lift-up.

I use mine for just about everything. Pizza dough, Artisan bread dough (weekly Oct-May), cake batter, cookie dough, banana bread. Mine is a work horse that frankly I thought would never be worth the money.

Dh spoiled me with one he picked up on sale at Kohl's with a big coupon. Never would I have spent that much on myself, but it is one of those great gifts I'm still using year after year.

A dough hook comes with the mixer that works very well without sticking. I make Artisan, white/cheese & onion and wheat breads without any problem.

I hope everyone will chime with their experiences;).

Tammy~

Converted Kitchen-aid appliance lover. I'm hoping hubby will treat me to the food-processor next.

Edited by Tammyla

I've had mine for 15 years and use it all the time. Worth every penny. (It was, however, a dinner gift from a business group, instead of a bunch of bottles of wine! Awesome idea!)

However, I've lately discovered Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day, and have given up kneading my bread in the Kitchenaid. I have the wheat grinder attachment and still use that for the whole wheat. I also use it for cookies, whipped cream, Spinach Artichoke dip, Sausage Balls, etc.

Oddly enough, the price started at $199 then too.

Wow! A ringing endorsement from everyone! I guess they are worth the $$$! I love the names too . . . "Betsy" and "Blue Thunder". :D

Since I would most likely be using it for bread dough, I guess I should look into the models with higher wattage. Like I said, I love making bread, but I hate standing there for 10-12 minutes kneading it; I guess I always have too many irons in the fire. I most likely wouldn't use it for cookie dough, and definitely not for pie crusts; the latter especially needs to be just lightly tossed together to make the crust as flaky as possible.

Thank you so much, everyone, for the great reviews and links and other necessary info. I may put this on my "wish list" for Christmas, and perhaps I'll have to start thinking of a name . . . . :)

I have a hybrid. :D For $20 on sale I got a handmixer with a stand/glass bowl that can be left to do its thing while I play with the kids. It is not as fancy as the professional Kitchenaids, but I didn't have $200 plus dollars.

I don't know why model or brand you have, but just make sure that it is recommended for mixing bread dough before you attempt any type of bread dough...if it isn't recommended for dough, you could easily burn out the motor. (I really hope I'm not being too nosy, but I would hate for your mixer to be broken.)

:bigear:What do you make in yours? I'm trying to justify this in my head too and this may require a list of sorts.

We make homemade Clif bars, salsa, pesto, pie crust (really, this works GREAT...it is very gentle if you follow a recipe specifically for crust and just pulse); mine came with a bunch of discs and blades, and at Thanksgiving, I did all of the chopping of celery, onions, carrots, apples etc.for stuffing in a jiffy. It's super for uniform slicing of apples for apple pie.

As to your other questions about sticking, etc, that all really does depend upon the dough. Some dough is supposed to stick to the dough hook, as some doughs have higher hydration levels. Some dough takes 5 minutes to knead, some takes 10, depending upon the gluten-development required. It's not going to be like a bread machine, but you will have MUCH better results, and much more flexibility.

I do have a bread machine, and use it for some things, but I don't always like that "hole" in the bottom of the loaf of bread, plus I like to shape the bread sometimes, so the thought of the flexibility with the Kitchen Aid mixer is very appealing to me.

Sounds yummy:001_smile:.

Sorry for the high-jack. Maybe we should start an I love my Kitchen-aid X because thread.

Op...I used my bread machine to make dough only for a few years because of the bump in the bottom and uneven cooking. Another option, but I enjoyed the counter space freed up from the bread machine.

We make homemade Clif bars, salsa, pesto, pie crust (really, this works GREAT...it is very gentle if you follow a recipe specifically for crust and just pulse); mine came with a bunch of discs and blades, and at Thanksgiving, I did all of the chopping of celery, onions, carrots, apples etc.for stuffing in a jiffy. It's super for uniform slicing of apples for apple pie.

We love ours. In fact, my dh said the other day that he would replace it in a heartbeat if need be.

We have a refurbished Artisan, and my dh got an incredible deal on it. He kept checking on Amazon, and he paid $125 for it with free shipping. We couldn't believe he got it for such a great price! We had been looking for a while.

HTH,

Melissa

However, I've lately discovered Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day, and have given up kneading my bread in the Kitchenaid.

I HAVE to get off of this thread and do some IRL stuff! But bread baking is my PASSION! (Remember the "what is your passion?" thread last week...this is mine!). Have you done No-Knead bread as well? I tried the 5 minute a day bread, and it was SO salty (the recipe we used was printed in a recent issue of Mother Earth News magazine).

I'm off to shape a loaf of harvest-loaf no-knead...and I'm DONE with the Boards for the morning! (I hope...)

Thanks to the OP for the fun bread post!

I do have a bread machine, and use it for some things, but I don't always like that "hole" in the bottom of the loaf of bread, plus I like to shape the bread sometimes, so the thought of the flexibility with the Kitchen Aid mixer is very appealing to me.

If you do the bread machine on the dough cycle. When it is finished, grease a shiny bread pan, put the dough in, let it rise..covered with a warm damp cloth (I do this for about 40 minutes), and bake at 350 degrees for up to 37-39 minutes. Excellent!! AND, you don't have the hole at the bottom!

;)

Edited to say: I had a KitchenAid stand mixer and it broke a few months ago. It lasted about 5/6 years. And it was over the warranty time. Boy, was I not a happy camper.

I just purchased a KA Mixer from Kohls (an early Christmas gift). I purchased a Pro 500 http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/kitchendining/kitchenelectrics/mixers/stand/PRD~317426/KitchenAid+Pro+500+5qt+Stand+Mixer.jsp that has a retail price of $360, but by the time I finished with discounts, sales, and rebates I paid about $150. There are deals availabe you just have to shop around.

I love the KitchenAid mixer, but I use my Bosch for bread. Although there are some smaller bread recipes that I will probably try with the KA.

Yvonne in NE

I have one and would NEVER use it to knead bread dough. Heavy mixes burn out Kitchen Aids all the time. I'd rather see you invest your money into a Bosch machine. You can buy all the separate attachments and do EVERYTHING with it. It's engine is a chain saw engine. If it can cut through an oak tree, it can knead bread. I know of MANY people who burnt out their KA's so I am very, very careful with mine. My parents bought it for me and I want to keep it forever.

No, they are not worth the money. They have great ones that are similar and work as well. I have a Kitchenaid and I can tell you it about bumps across the counter every time I do bread dough. And the motor makes a "I'm about to die" sound. We got it last summer and I rarely use it b/c I'm scared it will break.

I have one and would NEVER use it to knead bread dough. Heavy mixes burn out Kitchen Aids all the time. I'd rather see you invest your money into a Bosch machine. You can buy all the separate attachments and do EVERYTHING with it. It's engine is a chain saw engine. If it can cut through an oak tree, it can knead bread. I know of MANY people who burnt out their KA's so I am very, very careful with mine. My parents bought it for me and I want to keep it forever.

:confused: They burn out "all the time"? :confused: I've had mine for 14 years. I use mine successfully on some are very heavy and hearty 100% whole wheat doughs. I use it at least 5 times a week -- I bake ALL of our bread, rolls, pastries, cookies...everything... All types of dough: from fluffy light enriched white breads to heavy whole grain artisanal loaves. Mind you, I'm not baking 6 or 7 loaves at a time, which the Bosch is great for. The Bosch is a great machine! But so is the KA.

There are many different levels of KA: horsepower varies greatly. Perhaps the people you know had low HP models. I would not recommend buying a model at Target or Walmart. From what I have seen in my local stores, they are low-end, low HP models. And I wouldn't buy one based upon "the color that matches my kitchen"...get one that fits your needs.

I promise I don't work for KA.

Edited by BikeBookBread
grammar

I asked for a KitchenAid mixer a few years ago. It was all I wanted for Christmas (my mom buys me an appliance every year.) We got to Christmas and there was the box, ust the rigth size for my mixer. I was so excited...

It was a Sunbeam. (I acted happy, of course.) It was a really nice Sunbeam, not some cheap-o.

The stupid thing won't do anything right! I hate it, hate it, hate it. Everytime I pull it off the shelf, I wish it was a KitchenAid, and it takes every prayer in me to appreciate what I have.

Just about every woman I know has a KitchenAid and loves it.

I asked for a KitchenAid mixer a few years ago. It was all I wanted for Christmas (my mom buys me an appliance every year.) We got to Christmas and there was the box, ust the rigth size for my mixer. I was so excited...

It was a Sunbeam. (I acted happy, of course.) It was a really nice Sunbeam, not some cheap-o.

The stupid thing won't do anything right! I hate it, hate it, hate it. Everytime I pull it off the shelf, I wish it was a KitchenAid, and it takes every prayer in me to appreciate what I have.

Just about every woman I know has a KitchenAid and loves it.

OOhh I HATE my Sunbeam too. My Grandmother has had her sunbeam for 60 years and it is like the KA. But not the one I Have. I HATE MY SUNBEAM! So much so I almost never use it. I pulled it out for the first time in probably 7 years last month because I had 2 kids cooking at the same time and they couldn't share my handheld mixer. They both hated it as well.

I long for my own KA, and now I will add Bosch to my list too.

I have my KA for 12 years now. I love it. It has even survived transformer usage in Belgium for 3 years. I have used it for so many purposes: cakes, frostings, cookies, bread, etc. I love it so much that I decided a long time ago that when my kids get married, this will be one of their presents early on.

many [/i]different levels of KA: horsepower varies greatly. Perhaps the people you know had low HP models. I would not recommend buying a model at Target or Walmart. From what I have seen in my local stores' date=' they are low-end, low HP models. And I wouldn't buy one based upon "the color that matches my kitchen"...get one that fits your needs.[/quote']

Can you tell me which version you have? If I get one, I would think of it as a long-term investment.

I would primarily use mine for bread dough, although I might "branch out" over time. :)

Can you tell me which version you have? If I get one, I would think of it as a long-term investment.

I would primarily use mine for bread dough, although I might "branch out" over time. :)

Mine isn't even made anymore: it was a model "KSM90" which was a VERY basic model at the time...I got it for Christmas in 1996 the first year we were married.

When the time comes to replace, I'm going to get one of the "Pro" models to gain capacity. The one available at Costco is really well-reviewed. Cook's Illustrated really likes the KA Pro 600. Here's the text from their review:

2009 update: Still a true kitchen workhorse, this cookware standard is strong enough for the thickest cookie batter and the tackiest bread dough. Newer models feature a "spiral" dough hook, which is more efficient at kneading than the previous "C-shape" dough hook, bringing this model back on par with the Cuisinart and negating the single gripe we had with the mixer when we last reviewed it. Please note: the new hook does not work on older models that feature a "C-shape" dough hook because of its vertical kneading motion, which puts a strain on the motor of older models designed to work with the horizontal motion of the C-shape hook. Original 2005 review: With 18 models tested, a KitchenAid still came out on top—though just barely edging out the DeLonghi. With 575 watts (the median of the group), it plowed through 4 cups of dough almost two minutes faster than most "super-wattage" models.

Their number one model was the Cuisinart 5.5 quart stand mixer. The reason it edged out the KA (both received 3 stars in all categories) was b/c it had automatic shut off (you can set a timer to, for example, run for 5 minutes and turn off) and a folding feature which delicately incorporates ingredients. It is also $299, $100 less than the KA Professional 600.

Here's the link, but if you aren't a paying member I don't know if you'll be able to see this review (some reviews are free...so try to view it anyway.)

It depends on the wattage of the KA mixer. The lower wattage ones (200 - 300) will get burned out by mixing bread dough. The 500+ wattage mixers are designed to handle it. My Professional series mixer is designed for mixing double loaf batches of whole wheat bread. The classic or artisan series' will probably burn out. I have friends who have used their KA Pro for 15 years and they are still going strong.

It depends on the wattage of the KA mixer. The lower wattage ones (200 - 300) will get burned out by mixing bread dough. The 500+ wattage mixers are designed to handle it. My Professional series mixer is designed for mixing double loaf batches of whole wheat bread. The classic or artisan series' will probably burn out. I have friends who have used their KA Pro for 15 years and they are still going strong.

FYI: We just replaced the wormgear in my mixer after 12 years. The KA mixers are equipped with a wormgear that keeps the motors from burning out. So if there is a problem with the mixer, the wormgear is probably the part that needs replacing. The part is about $17 if you replace it yourself. My husband also bought a $24 can of food-grade appliance grease and replaced the grease since he took the mixer apart. And he recalibrated the mixer for me. These mixers are well worth fixing.

Louise

almost everyday.

We found it wholesale somewhere online--you shouldn't have to pay retail for it if you take your time looking.

Used for 8 years, on almost a daily basis--and my kitchenaid still works like new. Although it was a little more than I'd like to put up for a kitchen appliance up front--it has outlasted most of our other kitchen purchases.

Hope you find a great deal!

Does anyone have this one? Do you like it? It doesn't look like it tilts back.....so how do you remove the beaters?

yes, that one tilts.....there is lever on teh side.

I just purchased a KA Mixer from Kohls (an early Christmas gift). I purchased a Pro 500 http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/kitchendining/kitchenelectrics/mixers/stand/PRD~317426/KitchenAid+Pro+500+5qt+Stand+Mixer.jsp that has a retail price of $360, but by the time I finished with discounts, sales, and rebates I paid about $150. There are deals availabe you just have to shop around.

I love the KitchenAid mixer, but I use my Bosch for bread. Although there are some smaller bread recipes that I will probably try with the KA.

Yvonne in NE

I don't know how to link threads, but I posted on the Kohls' kitchen aid sale at the time it was going on. It was an amazingly good deal! We bougth one for each of our future daughter in laws. We bougth them on line so we could get different colors and models than the store carries. Free shipping if the order is over 75.00, but there was a 3.00 up charge because of the weight.

I personally have a bosch and it is a work horze...but the kitchen aid is so cute!

I recently got a Kitchen Aid Pro 500, which has a 325 watt motor (same as the Artisan). Is that not enough to knead whole wheat dough? :(

Jackie

Does anyone have this one? Do you like it? It doesn't look like it tilts back.....so how do you remove the beaters?

Actually, that model doesn't tilt ~ the Professional 600 series are bowl lift, not tilt back. (You lift the bowl up to the beaters, rather than lowering the beaters into the bowl.) But it's a very powerful mixer ~ 575 watts, which is what everyone seems to be recommending for bread dough.

Jackie

Actually, that model doesn't tilt ~ the Professional 600 series are bowl lift, not tilt back. (You lift the bowl up to the beaters, rather than lowering the beaters into the bowl.) But it's a very powerful mixer ~ 575 watts, which is what everyone seems to be recommending for bread dough.

Jackie

Yup.........I was wrong.....the profession series have the xtra arm support and the bowl lifts..

sorry