Menu

• Replies 638
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, a round of hootch for all!

Hey! This thread has dissolved into levity! Have some hootch or screech or whatever it is that's in this reusable, environmentally friendly bag. I wiped the rim of the bottle real good!
Sorry, I didn't read the last 2 pages when I posted. I was called away by a child before hitting send.

I am allergic to alcohol and not allowed sugar, so what do you have for me? Eyeshadow?

They even started putting the air conditioning in the sanctuary super cold. I have to bring a sweater with me when I go to church and there are girls who STILL come in with the tight fitting, short, spagetti strap dresses with the deep plunge necklines and no sweater. Go figure! :confused:

My dh ( a public high school teacher) has resorted to this tactic in his classroom in an attempt to get his students to cover up. It's been pretty successful. Many of them throw on their sweatshirts at his classroom door.

My dh ( a public high school teacher) has resorted to this tactic in his classroom in an attempt to get his students to cover up. It's been pretty successful. Many of them throw on their sweatshirts at his classroom door.

It is a pretty smart idea.

But it kills me that taxpayers will have to pay more for electricity...

Is there anyone here making arguments for modesty from a decidedly secular perspective? I'm not about to apply Biblical standards to myself, so

I'd be interested in hearing an argument that isn't based in religious dogma.

I do show cleavage, but not so much that I ever have to worry about falling out of a shirt. For swimming I wear shorts so that I can avoid shaving.

Laura

World peace had been achieved, people. All it took was a marauding pack of poodles, a street sweeper, blue eyeshadow, and booze.

*sigh*

'twas a good night.

And if you're allergic to hooch, sip whatever works for you. I don't reccommend licking the eyeshadow though. Doesn't taste anywhere as good as the Lick'ems used to, and leaves your tongue blue and sparkly...which has people stare at you pretty hard.

Don't ask me how I know, just trust me on this.

I don't reccommend licking the eyeshadow though. Doesn't taste anywhere as good as the Lick'ems used to, and leaves your tongue blue and sparkly...which has people stare at you pretty hard.

Then maybe we'd all stop looking at the cleavage! No one would be offended, tempted, etc.... ;)

This makes as much sense as some of the other posts I've seen on here. I think sometimes we (myself included) get so caught up in defending our case that common sense goes right out the window!

Sorry, I didn't read the last 2 pages when I posted. I was called away by a child before hitting send.

I am allergic to alcohol and not allowed sugar, so what do you have for me? Eyeshadow?

You may sip spring water, but you must liberally apply the blue eyeshadow, and to make up for not drinking hootch, you should really apply some heavy, sparkly eye liner, as well.

Then maybe we'd all stop looking at the cleavage! No one would be offended, tempted, etc.... ;)

This makes as much sense as some of the other posts I've seen on here. I think sometimes we (myself included) get so caught up in defending our case that common sense goes right out the window!

Well, if you read the last few pages, it would make perfect sense :lol:

You may sip spring water, but you must liberally apply the blue eyeshadow, and to make up for not drinking hootch, you should really apply some heavy, sparkly eye liner, as well.
So I have to make up for being different with my drink by wearing extra eye makeup? :tongue_smilie:How offensive. :lol:

See... when I show it, it's because I have too much :glare: and it's always sneaking out.

Anyone else have books that eat the shelves?

I'm going to go back and read all the responses now and find out if I am in desparate need of blue eyeshadow or not.

Only if you don't drink hooch.

Some just like the Mimi effect.

[/u] Only if you don't drink hooch.

Some just like the Mimi effect.

I posted before I looked....... uh, I don't have the time to devote to the novel you guys have written. I'm waiting for the cliff notes ;)

Hey, on a down day a little Mimi goes a loooooooooooooooong way :lol:

I posted before I looked....... uh, I don't have the time to devote to the novel you guys have written. I'm waiting for the cliff notes ;)

Hey, on a down day a little Mimi goes a loooooooooooooooong way :lol:

Hey Julie, :grouphug: You can just search through my posts. :D I argued for and against both sides, and had multiple quotes of good points and funnies. Cliff notes. Ta dah.:lol:;) Edited by Lovedtodeath

I asked dh to read EMB awhile back in preparation for giving it to ds. He did NOT agree with several points in the book, so we will NOT be handing it to him to read.

Just because a Christian Book about Men written by a Christian Man is widely received does NOT mean it is applicable to EVERY Christian man.

The website offered [pure warrior] i believe goes too far into legalistic dress code. I know several solid Christian women who are MODEST yet aren't needing to check every little thing they wear -- this is another example of tying more about modesty into what we wear than our relationship with Christ.

i do agree that we can't "let perfect be the enemy of the pretty good" --just because we can't attain the perfect standards of emotional, spiritual, and physical modesty doesn't mean we stop trying. But like differences w/ baptism and communion, I am content to leave personal convictions with the Christian. I take into consideration that God has placed them and their convictions with people who need that type of conviction.

==========

eta:a couple other points:

http://www.bayou.com/~lou2247/acts4a.html

also- proskomma -"stumbling" seems to indicate not merely an opportunity to sin, but someone deliberately placing a known problem in someone's path that can cause them to fall into apostasy. Research tends to put emphasis on this being a severe offense, not just any ol' thing that may, perhaps, depending, just might, cause someone to sin and then seek forgiveness in Christ. It's when the stumbling block and person being offended are of such a combination that they won't even bother seeking forgiveness for the sin. but that's my interpretation :)

Edited by Peek a Boo

Hey Julie, :grouphug: You can just search through my posts. :D I argued for and against both sides, and had multiple quotes of good points and funnies. Cliff notes. Ta dah.:lol:;)

Okay, so I'm not sure I got to all of them, but... wow.

Yeah, the transition to Mimi makeup and alcohol was a good thing.

I don't even want to comment beyond that. :grouphug:

Not that I live on the Cape but have visited often and most stores require shirts and shoes. I don't think of a bikini top as a shirt. But it's not my store to police or make policy.

I grew up on the border of Fla/Ga and spent most of my weekends at the beach in St. Augustine and Jacksonville. I went around in a bikini top and cut off shorts (as a teen and before children) and the signs would say shoes and shirts. I think the shirts part is meant for the fellas.

I could post a picture that would fit so well with this... but I won't. :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: :D

I grew up on the border of Fla/Ga and spent most of my weekends at the beach in St. Augustine and Jacksonville. I went around in a bikini top and cut off shorts (as a teen and before children) and the signs would say shoes and shirts. I think the shirts part is meant for the fellas.

Ooooh I LOVE St. Augustine, the light in that city is incredible. It looks like a pastel painting at sunset. And yeah, I agree with you the shirts are for the fellas and shoes are just a suggestion really. ;) :D

I spent a great deal of my teen years in FL. as well. I was a teen model and not very modest. There were a few times when I could only manage one piece of a bikini (um, I was also very much the trouble maker). I didn't know it at the time (nor did I care) but there were probably quite a few women looking down on me. I don't regret it now but I sure do wish I had taken more pictures then so that when I tell my kids, "I looked good before I had kids!", I would have the documentation to back it up.

Field day if I ever saw one...sigh :001_rolleyes:

We didn't want you to go away feeling bad so we turned it into a playground for you for when you got back. :) so what do you think?? :D (Moves arm expansively around the room in her best Vanna White impersonation)

You are kidding me! I CAN NOT believe this is still going. It's like the energizer boobies. :001_smile:

Do you know the song at the end of the Lambchop show?? I've had it in my head for days now whenever I've been reading this thread. "This is the thread that never ends....." :lol: ;)

I guess it could even be "these are the boobs that never end...." ;) :D

There is a bit of cultural dissonance going on with the Muslims women on my son's campus. My son says he doesn't get it. They were hrad gear but then they also wear skin tight revealing tops with the hard scarfs or what not. He says they dress much more provocatively then other female students but they do have their hijabs.

There is a bit of cultural dissonance going on with the Muslims women on my son's campus. My son says he doesn't get it. They were hrad gear but then they also wear skin tight revealing tops with the hard scarfs or what not. He says they dress much more provocatively then other female students but they do have their hijabs.

I've only seen a couple of young ladies like this. With their age, they may be still trying to figure out their identity as culture and faith can sometimes cause any of us to struggle with this.

I spent a great deal of my teen years in FL. as well. I was a teen model and not very modest. There were a few times when I could only manage one piece of a bikini (um, I was also very much the trouble maker). I didn't know it at the time (nor did I care) but there were probably quite a few women looking down on me. I don't regret it now but I sure do wish I had taken more pictures then so that when I tell my kids, "I looked good before I had kids!", I would have the documentation to back it up.

I remember wearing a scarf (as a skirt) and a tanktop (that's it) to go clubbing in Toronto. I am ashamed of it now, though. I truly did not care about modesty or what might happen to me.

Well I tried to derail it into comedy....:leaving:

Maybe because this really isn't a laughing matter. Our sexualized culture is both a root and a symptom of the abuses and perversions in society, from family dysfunction/destruction to heinous crimes against women and children.

The so-called sexual revolution stripped sex of its value and purpose when it threw away its counterparts of modesty, chastity, and fidelity, for starters. Flaunting our sexuality has not liberated women but has created more vulnerability and captivity. Pretending the culture doesn't identify nakedness with sexuality, or that men and women aren't really different in their sexuality are dangerous kinds of denial, and part of what has led us to this place.

Freedom without boundaries always leads to bondage, the enslavement of sin, since it is abandoning the protective order which God designed to keep us safe.

Scripture says there is nothing new under the sun and that ALL scripture is "profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness." Even the ones that may be dismissed as "culturally irrelevant."

-------------

and i don't necessarily say this to argue w/ Joanne, but to give an opposing view of what she posted for others.

So why don't we stone those who wear mixed threads? Why don't we follow all of the other laws, even those that would be "dismissed as culturally irrelevant"?

So why don't we stone those who wear mixed threads? Why don't we follow all of the other laws, even those that would be "dismissed as culturally irrelevant"?

That's not an example of cultural irrelevance but of the new covenant of grace nullifying the regulations and penalties of the old Mosaic covenant.

Maybe because this really isn't a laughing matter. Our sexualized culture is both a root and a symptom of the abuses and perversions in society, from family dysfunction/destruction to heinous crimes against women and children.

The so-called sexual revolution stripped sex of its value and purpose when it threw away its counterparts of modesty, chastity, and fidelity, for starters. Flaunting our sexuality has not liberated women but has created more vulnerability and captivity. Pretending the culture doesn't identify nakedness with sexuality, or that men and women aren't really different in their sexuality are dangerous kinds of denial, and part of what has led us to this place.

Freedom without boundaries always leads to bondage, the enslavement of sin, since it is abandoning the protective order which God designed to keep us safe.

Some of us always find the fashion police funny :p

Oh, I don't think it's funny, either. I find the shaming of women, sexual repression, the implication of some of these people that women cannot participate in the arts or sports without being immodest, etc to be highly disturbing. I find it just as disturbing as you do, but for different reasons. The fact that you, yourself, describe women as not liking sex is indicative of the repression going on. I don't dress particularly scantily but neither do I worry if I'm showing a little cleavage or pin every possible gap on my clothing closed. I am confident in how I look, I'm confident in my sexuality, I like sex. My husband would never have to worry about the 72 hour rule you describe. I think having a wife who is sexually repressed and cannot enjoy sex due to the mechanics of sexual repression would, ultimately, be a WAY bigger stumbling block for a man than a little cleavage.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

Oh, I don't think it's funny, either. I find the shaming of women, sexual repression, the implication of some of these people that women cannot participate in the arts or sports without being immodest, etc to be distrubing. I find it just as disturbing as you for different reasons. The fact that you, yourself, describe women as not liking sex is indicative of the repression going on. I don't dress particularly scantily but neither do I worry if I'm showing a little cleavage or pin every possible gap on my clothing closed. I am confident in how I look, I'm confident in my sexuality, I like sex. My husband would never have to worry about the 72 hour rule you describe. I think having a wife who is sexually repressed and cannot enjoy sex due to the mechanics of sexual repression would, ultimately, be a WAY bigger stumbling block for a man than a little cleavage.

I think this thread has just gotten ridiculous, but I wanted to say that I like your position. It seems to be common sense and moderation. And the bolded part - I am so glad I'm finally at the point where I can yes to that. It took me years to get beyond 'modesty, purity according to whomever' to where I am today. It is not an exaggeration to say that 'modesty as taught by some Christians' was detrimental to my marriage.

The 72 hour rule made me laugh. My dh fell off a 10' fruit ladder and fractured a vertebrae. It was way more than 72 hours. Of course, the accident opened the door to new and creative ways, but not because of any rule. Just because we enjoy each other.

Janet

Oh, I don't think it's funny, either. I find the shaming of women, sexual repression, the implication of some of these people that women cannot participate in the arts or sports without being immodest, etc to be highly disturbing. I find it just as disturbing as you do, but for different reasons. The fact that you, yourself, describe women as not liking sex is indicative of the repression going on. I don't dress particularly scantily but neither do I worry if I'm showing a little cleavage or pin every possible gap on my clothing closed. I am confident in how I look, I'm confident in my sexuality, I like sex. My husband would never have to worry about the 72 hour rule you describe. I think having a wife who is sexually repressed and cannot enjoy sex due to the mechanics of sexual repression would, ultimately, be a WAY bigger stumbling block for a man than a little cleavage.

(bold print added)

So, not to open ANOTHER can of worms, and I'm not being snarky--it's just an honest question: Are you saying if a man is regularly "satisfied" (every 72 hours, or whatever) then the cleavage/cracks/etc...that are commonly seen these days will be of no temptation to him since his needs are being met?

And, another question--why does dressing modestly make a person sexually repressed? I don't understand the connection.

The 72 hour rule made me laugh. My dh fell off a 10' fruit ladder and fractured a vertebrae. It was way more than 72 hours. Of course, the accident opened the door to new and creative ways, but not because of any rule. Just because we enjoy each other.

Well, my husband and I have been separate for months and months at a time. I was just speaking to when he was home and able. ;)

(bold print added)

So, not to open ANOTHER can of worms, and I'm not being snarky--it's just an honest question: Are you saying if a man is regularly "satisfied" (every 72 hours, or whatever) then the cleavage/cracks/etc...that are commonly seen these days will be of no temptation to him since his needs are being met?

That is not what I'm saying. I'm saying it would be much more temptation for a man to have some fun, enjoyable sex. Frequently, women who don't like sex whose husbands cheat on them, are shocked to find that the "other woman" isn't necessarily even all that attractive.

And, another question--why does dressing modestly make a person sexually repressed? I don't understand the connection.

I'm speaking specifically to the poster in question. I'm referring to *her posts*, did you read them?

Myrrh did a good job explaining that the above is from the Mosaic covenent. A law that does not apply to us.

But many today have a leaning toward a dangerous attitude. This was written about at Romans 6:1-15 "What follows? Shall we commit a sin because we are not under law but under undeserved kindness? Never may that happen!"

Also see Jude 4 and 2 Peter 2:3

We are encouraged to "Become imitators of God" (Ephesians 5:1,2). In order to do this we use our discernment. (Proverbs 2:1-6, 2 Timothy 2:7) "All scripture is inspired and beneficial" (2 Timothy 3:16). No scripture is completely irrelevant. We can gain insight into the principles behind the Mosaic Law, as well as the principles behind the new law "Love Jehovah your God with your whole heart... love your neighbor as yourself". And we apply the principles to our conduct and our way of dress.