Menu

I have been thinking more about this thread today. I can't remember who it was earlier in the thread that mentioned the difference of definition of cleavage for those in the discussion. I think that plays a huge role.

When I am talking about cleavage I am refering to something like this, this dress Is about as low cut as I go, as you can see there is a shiny little something near my booKs, that is the pin I used to close the dress up a bit because it actually was cut even lower.

brandy041-2.jpg

I did have one sweater that was lower cut too, here I am with my Pastor at Isabelle's dedication 2 years ago, as you can see it was showing cleavage, and my pastor had no issue with the outfit.

baby_182.jpg[/url]

To me seeing a wee bit of cleavage like that is not a big deal and actually makes me feel good. On the other hand I think outfits like this are showing too much.

0417ali-larter-cleavage_fa.jpg

or like this

180px-A_Winning_Miss.png

I know when I think cleavage I think of a small amount of the line between breasts, not seeing the actual breasts themselves. I have the feeling otehrs think of images like the bottom 2 when referring to cleavage.

• Replies 638
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gawking and staring? What about the average guy, minding his own business, that has to work hard to avert his eyes with all of the breasts in low-cut tops being put out there for all to see?

I am astounded that women can't fathom that men are very different than they are with respect to being visual.

I do understand that men are very visual. I don't understand that it must be hard work to look elsewhere.

If my 15 year old can get it, so can a grown man. Just. Look. Away.

Gawking and staring? What about the average guy, minding his own business, that has to work hard to avert his eyes with all of the breasts in low-cut tops being put out there for all to see?

I am astounded that women can't fathom that men are very different than they are with respect to being visual.

Well, I'm a woman and I'm pretty darn visual. We should just ban all men from wearing Wrangler jeans, cowboy boots, and button down shirts!!

I do understand that men are very visual. I don't understand that it must be hard work to look elsewhere.

Then there are people like my hubby who always miss wardrobe malfunctions. I can literally say there have been times when I asked my hubby if he saw clearly visable private body parts in public and he will be like, "No, where?" Gotta love that man. :D

Men can discipline themselves to look elsewhere. My dh worked with a lady that wore extremely low cut tops with lacy push up bras. The tops showed the bras. Add to that that she would lean over my dh's desk when speaking to him; she must have known she was providing quite a show. Dh said he just focused on her face. Of course he's 51, so it's probably easier for him now than when he was 17. Oh, and she used to brag that could get hired at Hooters anytime. :) Yes, men can control themselves. I'm not excusing her behavior, though. But my dh has to be responsible for himself.

I'm not opposed to tastefully done cleavage. I know some think cleavage is never tasteful, and I disagree. Letting it all hang out is not tasteful or classy.

Janet

To be quite honest, I frequently think, when seeing a woman with it 'all hanging out' while out with her husband 'isn't her husband embarrassed for all the other men to be staring at his wife that way?' I mean, I honestly don't get it. WHY would a husband want his wife to be s*xually alluring to other men?

This comes across as very judgy. Why WOULDN'T a man want a woman who is sexually alluring? Women are sexually alluring with or without cleavage.

I hate that, too. It assumes all men are mere animals. But I would go further than that.

Personally, I believe strictures of dress on women are simply a tool of patriarchal oppression. That women feed into this and coerce other women into it through shame and fear tactics is, to me, one of the most despicable things about (some) women. When we not only willingly pick up the shackles of mysogyny, but clamp them on fellow women, we are perpetuating the denigration of our own humanity.

I actually tend to agree in some cases. I think many of the "modest dressing" groups are designed to keep women home where they belong. Look at that Texas polygamy group-they were supposed to dress in frilly dresses to be feminine and modest. However, they were all wearing work boots with them. That tells me that being feminine was not *really* the goal. I agree that women who dress like playboy bunnies in their everyday lives don't necessarily do women any favors, either. I understand and appreciate that there is a wide spectrum in between.

Dunno, everyone at school looks pretty comfortable to me. No one is in turtlenecks. Many wear shirts with necklines that are 5-7in away from their necks, but still no cleavage, even on the bigger women.

I'm 5'1" and I'm a D cup. I just measured. I have 4 inches between my neck and where my cleavage starts. At 7 inches you'd be able to see my nipples. Women are not all built the same.

Well, I'm a woman and I'm pretty darn visual. We should just ban all men from wearing Wrangler jeans, cowboy boots, and button down shirts!!

Men in Carharts, shirtless, doing road work. Ummmm..... I'd take a man in jeans, flannel shirt, swinging an axe any day over a suit.

Janet

I don't wander around looking at the fronts on men's pants, so I imagine that men are capable of not looking at my sweaters.

:auto:

a

On the other hand, I remember some rocks stars in the late 70s/early 80s that wore jeans so tight you could take their pulse from 10' away IYKWIM. It was pretty darn hard to look away but I was much younger then. Raging hormones and all that. :tongue_smilie:

Personally, I believe strictures of dress on women are simply a tool of patriarchal oppression. That women feed into this and coerce other women into it through shame and fear tactics is, to me, one of the most despicable things about (some) women. When we not only willingly pick up the shackles of mysogyny, but clamp them on fellow women, we are perpetuating the denigration of our own humanity.

Totally correct! This falls into the same arena of being fearful of leading our brothers astray, and sadly our Muslim sisters who are often beat and dragged through the street, due to religious beliefs. Beliefs that are indoctrinated by man's interpretation. Not to mention female mutilation, that is often supported by other women within the community, and family. Again a religious belief. All in order to follow what has been imposed upon a particular culture as the correct way.

We may dislike what is happening in other places, and vehemently stand against such crimes. However, on a lower scale it is the same mentality that has given those the ability to perpetuate such atrocities, as I hear being discussed about cleavage. The degradation of women by women is just a morbid story.

Hey, in Africa you can trade a cow for a wife, and many are not properly clothed. So how did the cow win? Guess it just might be the cow has more teats, you know more to show.

As for hh, I seriously would question him if he didn't find other women beautiful. He's not dead, and all of us look. Kinda obvious, from the nature of the thread. The difference is acting on impulse. There are women who are beautiful, and I often point this out to him. If there is a woman that is in great shape, has beautiful hair, fantastic body at forty, why wouldn't I complement her? I might wonder about plunging necklines, wonder how that might look on me.

Forevergrace

I have been thinking more about this thread today. I can't remember who it was earlier in the thread that mentioned the difference of definition of cleavage for those in the discussion. I think that plays a huge role.

When I am talking about cleavage I am refering to something like this, this dress Is about as low cut as I go, as you can see there is a shiny little something near my booKs, that is the pin I used to close the dress up a bit because it actually was cut even lower.

brandy041-2.jpg

I did have one sweater that was lower cut too, here I am with my Pastor at Isabelle's dedication 2 years ago, as you can see it was showing cleavage, and my pastor had no issue with the outfit.

baby_182.jpg[/url]

To me seeing a wee bit of cleavage like that is not a big deal and actually makes me feel good. On the other hand I think outfits like this are showing too much.

or like this

180px-A_Winning_Miss.png

I know when I think cleavage I think of a small amount of the line between breasts, not seeing the actual breasts themselves. I have the feeling otehrs think of images like the bottom 2 when referring to cleavage.

I don't think the pictures of yourself are immodest. A V neck line doesn't always = cleavage. The last two pictures, though, are immodest, imo.

Let's poke his eyes out. I read somewhere just thinking about it, is as bad as doing it!!!!!

I'm in deep, can't tell you how much I thought of, and in just a few minutes.

Forevergrace

brandy041-2.jpg

baby_182.jpg[/url]

or like this

180px-A_Winning_Miss.png

YOU look NICE! They look like they (bosom) are going to FALL OUT! :tongue_smilie:

I'd have to ban Jamie Oliver from zesting lemons (oh, but that's sexy... the way he cups that fruit and glides the knife along its length), and Johnny Depp from existence altogether. There's more, but I'm sure you don't want to hear it. :tongue_smilie:

This comes across as very judgy. Why WOULDN'T a man want a woman who is sexually alluring? Women are sexually alluring with or without cleavage.

Some men like some things to be kept just for their own pleasurable viewing and it bothers them to have men ogling their wife or girlfriend. Totally understandable. I don't like women ogling my husband either. Notice that he's handsome, fine, but to look at him like he's candy, I might have to scratch someone's eyes out.

I actually tend to agree in some cases. I think many of the "modest dressing" groups are designed to keep women home where they belong. Look at that Texas polygamy group-they were supposed to dress in frilly dresses to be feminine and modest. However, they were all wearing work boots with them. That tells me that being feminine was not *really* the goal. I agree that women who dress like playboy bunnies in their everyday lives don't necessarily do women any favors, either. I understand and appreciate that there is a wide spectrum in between.

Agreed to an extent...on this side of the extreme of mormon fundamentalism, there are those that do believe that a woman at home is the ideal to reach for. Many times, if you've ever been in one of these groups, you will find that there are just as many women WANTING this kind of life as much as the men (some women are dragged along and some men are dragged along). But that is their freedom to choose that or believe it.

The last two sentences I totally agree with ;)

I'm 5'1" and I'm a D cup. I just measured. I have 4 inches between my neck and where my cleavage starts. At 7 inches you'd be able to see my nipples. Women are not all built the same.

Thank you. Please note that I did state somewhere in here about a woman's build or whatnot. Being long torsoed, and not really spending a lot of time measuring up a woman's chest (most of the people I have sewn for were not short torsoed, but average to long), I didn't know what the difference would be...but I was open to the understanding that there is a difference. I did notice at school today some fairly small torsoed (and under 5ft), but endowed women (this thread made me more observant :lol:)...most of them wore a button down shirt with the top buttons undone, but no cleavage that I noticed (you don't exactly get more than a passing notice of people when walking down a hallway). But I understand that not everyone likes that style or may still feel smothered by it.

brandy041-2.jpg

baby_182.jpg

I don't think there is anything wrong with what you are wearing in these pics. In fact, I wouldn't even think twice about it. It's a far cry from the girls who go to my church dressed like this. http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.orble.com/images/white-smocked-spaghetti-strap-mini-dress-top.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.orble.com/white-smocked-spaghetti-strap-mini-dress-top/&usg=__MCPJibm7XwBsfOhkrIhf7ADMUsI=&h=250&w=167&sz=26&hl=en&start=22&tbnid=RtjZnbE_iAincM:&tbnh=111&tbnw=74&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dspaghetti%2Bstrap%2Bspandex%2Bdress%26ndsp%3D20%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26start%3D20 I do think it's a bit much for church, but that's just me. :)

So what?

Seriously, I can't remember the last time I saw a woman shove her 'arse' in a man's face. Anyone?

Men and women are different. Got it. I still don't see how a woman's clothing choices have to hinge on what an unknown male's feelings might be on it. There's simply too many arousal 'triggers' in the general male population to make such a thing impossible.

I'll stick with pleasing *my* husband, and allow other women the same.

This whole thread has brought up a question for me. If men and women are the same in this area, as some apparently believe, then why is internet/magazine p*rn mainly focused on pics of nude *women*? I haven't seen any info. on women who are addicted to pics of nude men.

I'm not trying to be funny - I'm seriously wondering about this.

Here is one study on the subject

brandy041-2.jpg

baby_182.jpg

See, I think you look nice in those. For me, like I said, I'm long torsoed and would need a cami or modiste piece on the top one (add that I have spiderwoman veins...bluegreen on beige). I also would never had noticed your cleavage in the second picture if you hadn't pointed out that tiny start of one or unless I had been practically on hovering over you (and no one needs to be that close unless they are married to you or fitting you for a dress :lol: ).

The majority of men and women lean different ways...but there are women that are more visual than the norm. A good reminder. And personally, I have seen men of "ultra conservative" (I question this term for good reason ;) ) sects that will put a potato sack on their wives, but wear the finest ultra-tight black jeans themselves...with excuses that they are dress or for work or because they are loosing weight and want to be able to fit them when they are done....yeah so heard all of it. Just as disgusting (the excuses, not that they chose to wear the jeans) as someone making excuses for wearing something revealing, when it boils down to the fact that they think/know they "look good" in it and wanted to wear it. If that is the case, just say it, kwim?

When we are out, if my dh sees a guy checking me out, he will move himself so as to block the guy's line of vision.

Nuh uh. Suit! Suit! Suit!

Probably because I so rarely see my dh in his :lol:

Hee, same with me. He tightens up the tie and I'm walking him back up the stairs. Now if he wore it each day, meh.

My husband LOVES it when I get complimented on how I look.

And I pretty much agree with what Audrey said.

Men in Carharts, shirtless, doing road work. Ummmm..... I'd take a man in jeans, flannel shirt, swinging an axe any day over a suit.

Janet

Haha! That is EXACTLY what my dh is doing/wearing at this very moment. It's too darn cold, too darn soon here.

Edited by Audrey

So what?

Seriously, I can't remember the last time I saw a woman shove her 'arse' in a man's face. Anyone?

Men and women are different. Got it. I still don't see how a woman's clothing choices have to hinge on what an unknown male's feelings might be on it. There's simply too many arousal 'triggers' in the general male population to make such a thing impossible.

I'll stick with pleasing *my* husband, and allow other women the same.

When you are sitting in church, in close folding chair rows, and a college girl comes and sits in the row right in front of your preteen boy, and the MAIN thing you see as she sits, because her arse is right. there. in front of your face because you are sitting, is her butt crack and thong...yes, that can be an uncomfortable issue.

How can women understand? They're not men. I'm sure there are men who have to work harder than others, but the bottom line is, it's much easier for men to deal with the visuals when women are dressed more modestly.

Seriously? In church? Just wow. Don't know what else to say. I'm old enough to be somewhat old fashioned about dress at church. I've never gotten use to jeans at church - that's just me. Nice slacks, fine. Short shorts - no. Capris - okay. I'm more comfortable in dress slacks or skirt/dress. I mean, are they dressing for church or for the party that night?

Janet

I think it's humorous and very telling that the tags for this thread include "jealousy" and something about being catty. lol

And I'm pretty sure that therein lies the true answer to the OP. ;)

It's ironic that they would tag "jealousy" when some of us that don't care for cleavage have as much as the next well endowed woman. We just prefer not to show ours for whatever reasons. Trust me, I'm not jealous of anyone who puts theirs out there. I could put mine out there also if I so wanted to...I just don't and neither do I feel I'm in competition with anyone. It's an ignorant tag.

I think it's humorous and very telling that the tags for this thread include "jealousy" and something about being catty. lol

And I'm pretty sure that therein lies the true answer to the OP. ;)

So, just to clarify, you're saying the OP is catty and jealous? There is no possible other reason for her to dislike seeing women's boobs? Really?

I'm just wondering if cleavage is such a big thing, maybe those who feel so strongly about modesty would also promote genital mutilation. I mean the men in those societies really believe little girls (5-years-old) may have impure thoughts and should remain virginal until marriage. If we allow men to control us, or religion, or groups of individuals, then where do we draw the line? Would you opt your daughter for the above ritual. In their society it is quite logical. Let me state right now I am totally against this. But, to prove a valid point, who says what is right or wrong?

Another person's beliefs are just as valid as yours. Except when it comes to hurting people in the name of self-righteousness, be it emotionally (verbally) or physically. If brotherly love is the concept; where pray tell, is the compassion? Who cares if the woman walks around w/pasties on, if my husband gonna cheat, he's gonna cheat. You get what you get, and if you pick someone who thinks so little of women then that's what you get.

No man or woman has any authority over me, or for that fact you. Unless you give them the authority. My husband is not my God, and I would never impose human characteristics on God. But, then again these are my thoughts, just as you have your own thoughts.

Is it my right to judge the woman in the market w/giant mammaries, absolutely not! Do I know her story of why she is the way she is, NO! Do you? Who knows what her father or mother believed in, maybe mom was subservient. Perhaps, she's venting from years of high collared dresses. Then again maybe she's smarter then you think. Maybe, she doesn't need to prove her intelligence by showing you her latest list of books she's just read. Just maybe, she is secure enough within her being that the jealous, fearful thoughts of little people don't bother her. Or maybe not, who knows, and really who cares.

Obviously I do, not so much the cleavage crap, but the whole judgement attitude part.

Just thinking about this, and strapping on my boulder-holder on.

Forevergrace.

You are made of Win.

Seriously? In church? Just wow. Don't know what else to say. I'm old enough to be somewhat old fashioned about dress at church. I've never gotten use to jeans at church - that's just me. Nice slacks, fine. Short shorts - no. Capris - okay. I'm more comfortable in dress slacks or skirt/dress. I mean, are they dressing for church or for the party that night?

Janet

yep. See it all.the.time. The Pastor has addressed the issue from the pulpit several times, but the girls keep coming dressed like that. There are at least 10 or more at every service dressed in something like this. No joke. The pastor started putting the air conditioning in the sanctuary super cold (probably hoping the girls would come in with a sweater at least) but nope, they still come in dressed like that, no sweater and nipples showing through the dress to boot because they're so cold! :rolleyes: Church in South Florida is.... interesting to say the least. ;)

Dd8 made her communion this past May. There were parents and guests that were dressed like that at the church. One mom had a black sequin spaghetti strap mini skirt dress and stiletto heels. She looked gorgeous but she looked like she was going clubbin' instead of her 8 yod's Communion on a Sunday morning.

When you are sitting in church, in close folding chair rows, and a college girl comes and sits in the row right in front of your preteen boy, and the MAIN thing you see as she sits, because her arse is right. there. in front of your face because you are sitting, is her butt crack and thong...yes, that can be an uncomfortable issue.

My poor father was so embarrassed by this happening all the time at his church that he changed services to the early morning service, even though he prefers the worship in the later service. He is much more liberal than I am, btw. I have a picture of my mom as a young mother wearing a leopard print halter top suit, lol, but today's dress standards have gotten to be too much even for him.

Dd8 made her communion this past May. There were parents and guests that were dressed like that at the church. One mom had a black sequin spaghetti strap mini skirt dress and stiletto heels. She looked gorgeous but she looked like she was going clubbin' instead of her 8 yod's Communion on a Sunday morning.

:lol: Have to laugh at this....my boss tried to loan me a dress just like this, only with fuschia, purple, and aqua-green sequins, for homecoming my senior year...with a black velvet shrug type jacket, complete with black stiletto's. I tried it on for "inspection" (parents) and my husband saw me in it before they did as I came down the stairs. From him I got a really nice look, said he loved it, but only for in the bedroom ;) From my stepdad I got a "not only no, but h3ll no!" And being baptist, there was NO WAY I would have even been caught dead in it at church! And yes, the only reason I wanted to wear it is that I knew it looked good in that way. By the way, I would say the same thing my stepdad said if it were my daughter.

I have not read all 17 pages. I am avoiding work and shall thus respond anyway. :D I show cleavage at times because I avoid shopping, then do it at the last minute at a discount store and end up with what fits, and looks alright otherwise. It can be embarrassing to realize after the fact how much is displayed. Generally speaking, that's not the look I'm going for.

I do think some young, beautiful girls spend a little too much time shopping for the express purpose of showing flesh. Or simply dress inappropriately for the occasion. The problem is when they are around men who actually need to get some work done. Girls that show up at the horse barn for appointments with vets, farriers, etc. in their bikinis. Not safe for them. Definitely distracting for those trying to work... or so I'm told. :-) Girls who wear very revealing outfits at university, but have no problem availing themselves of the '5 second policy' should construction workers or fellow students look too long. It's school, not a pub crawl, people.

And that's the thing. I don't care how anybody dresses when they're out and about I really don't. Live and let live. I have seen women wearing sheer tops with NOTHING underneath no bra, camisole nada! They had everything they had open for anyone to see. I see all kinds of things here and like I said before if it bothered me that much I'd have to move to another state to get away from it. But IN CHURCH, it does bother me. I just think it is in poor taste honestly. And these girls who dress like this are usually college age and have the bod to back the fashion kwim? Our church has a lot of new believers and I always feel it for them when I see someone who is in earnest and honest worship with tears flowing down their face and one of these girls dressed like this comes in late and all heads turn their way as they are finding a seat and you can feel the change in the room instantly. To give them the benefit of the doubt, I don't know if they really know how what they are wearing impacts the people around them or not, but if they do and they dress like this in spite of the fact that they cause a stir, I think that is very sad indeed. Just my humble 2 cents.

yep. See it all.the.time. The Pastor has addressed the issue from the pulpit several times, but the girls keep coming dressed like that. There are at least 10 or more at every service dressed in something like this. No joke. The pastor started putting the air conditioning in the sanctuary super cold (probably hoping the girls would come in with a sweater at least) but nope, they still come in dressed like that, no sweater and nipples showing through the dress to boot because they're so cold! :rolleyes: Church in South Florida is.... interesting to say the least. ;)

Is this more a case of no common sense or no sense of appropriateness? Clueless? Manners? It seems to me that anyone would know that that type of dress is not appropriate in a CHURCH. Well, the churches I know of anyway. A nightclub, maybe. I wouldn't, but at least it fits the environment more. Would they go to a job interview dressed like that, and I mean a legitimate job interview (office or such)? Even in S. Florida? It seems like there is a total lack of appropriate behavior, not just dress.

Janet

Is this more a case of no common sense or no sense of appropriateness? Clueless? Manners? It seems to me that anyone would know that that type of dress is not appropriate in a CHURCH. Well, the churches I know of anyway. A nightclub, maybe. I wouldn't, but at least it fits the environment more. Would they go to a job interview dressed like that, and I mean a legitimate job interview (office or such)? Even in S. Florida? It seems like there is a total lack of appropriate behavior, not just dress.

Janet

Well, to give them the benefit of the doubt, there is a culture of dressing like that here so I can really see them not knowing that it is inappropriate for church and just making an honest mistake, but when it's freezing cold in the sanctuary (I have to always wear a jacket or a sweater) and they still don't cover up even after the pastor has lovingly brought it up several times from the pulpit, then I think it is just a matter of them being willful. And to answer your question about job interviews, yes I know women that would dress like that to a job interview as well for office work. Yep. I've seen it.

Oh, no!!! We've descended into mud slinging!!!!! (Slinging. Get it?) STOP. Cleavage is not worth this. At least my fleavage is not worth this.

There are more important issues to debate; like the perennial "Which spelling program is best for my natural speller?" OR "I want to teach Singapore Math, but I feel so inadequate. Any suggestion from the hive?" OR "Why does the Comedy Channel show so many episodes of Futurama? Does anyone watch Futurama?"

I watch Futurama. :D

I'd have to ban Jamie Oliver from zesting lemons (oh, but that's sexy... the way he cups that fruit and glides the knife along its length), and Johnny Depp from existence altogether. There's more, but I'm sure you don't want to hear it. :tongue_smilie:

I do ban Jamie Oliver. I'd embarrass myself otherwise.

I'm way more visual than my husband. When my sister and I get together, if we were men, we'd be considered pigs.