Menu

how concerned are you with your kids being "at grade level" (or above) ?

mindygz

It seems a nmber of people here will go double time on some lessons to get kids to the "appropriate" level on one or the other curriculum materials. Just wondering, generally, how many people are that concerned about it, and honestly, wondering if I should be. My dd7 (2nd grade) is just now "blossoming" (really, just beginning to blossom) into a confident reader, and last year I was working 30 hrs/week from home while my husband was out of work, so we did not do a lot of homeschooling. Plus I was playing with a different philosophy (that I've since abandoned)... Anyways, not to make excuses really, but I wonder if I should try and move faster or if we are okay where we are. She is 16 chapters into MUS Alph (doing well), 6 weeks into WWE1, and about 1/2 way through FLL1. I am planning on going a bit less methodically through FLL and combining lessons, as I feel like she is ready to do more in that area. We are also in SOTW1 (just did Ch13). So, for all intents and purposes, she's doing a mostly first grade curriculum. Should I feel bad or push harder? She's doing really well at our current pace--she enjoys school and is learning/retaining info pretty well. She also has OCD that doesn't affect her schooling too much, but does rear up at times and interfere with life.

I guess I just want to feel like a "good" homeschooling mom, but I feel kind of bad being "behind," like I'm not giving her the best homeschool education. Thoughts?

Personally, I'm not as concerned with them being 'at grade level' in the younger years, but get more concerned as they get towards middle school years. I think that kids develop at such different rates in that 5-8yo range that I don't pay much attention to grade levels at that point. It's at around 10-12yo that I think that there are certain things that they 'should' be able to do. That's not to say that I manage to teach them all those things, but I will work harder at that point to push them to get things that just aren't clicking, if that makes sense.

I don't purchase "grade leveled" materials with the exception of math. My goal is to teach them where they are with constant, slow progression forward.

I do agree with Megan in that I have specific goals that I like to see them achieve as they get older. I don't worry about those goals until around 4th grade......the younger yrs are more about laying a very firm foundation not matter what pace it takes to build it.

I am somewhat concerned with keeping my kids at grade level because we will probably put them in some type of school situation at some point. That being said, I am looser about grade level standards at the age you are talking about because -

1. I am not interested in putting them back in school until they are out of the learning to read / early math stages

2. My children's progression tends to ebb and flow. They will move forward bit by bit for a while and then suddenly they will jump forward dramatically.

3. The schools in my area differ dramatically on what is "the norm" for a given grade (at least in the K-3 grades, I have no experience beyond that).

If your child is happy and learning I wouldn't worry about it. Pushing her to complete more might not keep her happy and learning, kwim?

At your stage of the game, your pace sounds great to me. :) None of my kids are straight across a grade level academically. I put them in books that are at their particular level. Sometimes they lag a year behind, sometimes they launch through two grades worth of material in a couple months. It's all balanced out in the end. (So far.)

I had one that didn't read until 7yo too, and she took awhile to really grasp it after that. Her math is the only thing that has stayed on grade level. She started second grade with mostly first grade books too, that's just where she was at the time. Now, at the beginning of fourth grade, she's more than made up for the slower beginning and is at or above grade level. Her only book that's a level behind is First Language Lessons 3, which is fairly advanced as far as the average grammar programs I've seen. She's more than halfway through it right now, and frequently doubles lessons on her own accord. (Considering how she absorbs her older brother's grammar lessons too, it's looking like she'll skip FLL 4 and go straight to his old R&S 5 instead.)

I agree about math. I think math you can't move forward until you know math. I do want them to be around grade level in math and will work harder and longer on it. I have a 4th grader this year and math is one of our concerns. I will do math in the summer to not lose ground and reading as well (low-key).

I wouldn't stress a 2nd grader doing 1st material. My ds6.5 is in 1st technically but he was doing k R&S fine motor skills books and did K handwriting twice b/c he just didn't have the motor control. He basically did reading/phonics, math, and handwriting over the summer with more k materials. Now he is doing some 1st and some 2nd grade work but I just say he is in 1st. It is easier to go with the younger grade b/c of testing (if it is required where you live).

And in public school most 7 year olds are 1st grade if that makes you feel better. My dd's had summer birthdays and were always a year younger than their peers in public school.

So I wouldn't stress it, but if she was doing more 1st grade than 2nd grade then I would just say she is in 1st. My son will switch to some 2nd grade material mid-year this year just b/c that is the pace he is in those subjects but some subjects we are just finishing K material and moving into 1st after working all summer. I'm not stressing it. As long as he moves forward a grade level (whatever grade level) each year in a subject, then I feel we are doing good.

Edited by OpenMinded

I don't think you should double up lessons, but you should endeavor to be consistent. Most homeschoolers put in more days than schools or curricula expect, meaning if you are simply CONSISTENT, it will eventually catch you up or put you ahead.

As far as the work level, if it were really off, you would know. Older kids tackle easier material with a more mature perspective and get more from it. I just wouldn't sweat it. Just keep working forward.

My 4th child is a ds who turned 7 in July. He is using MFW 1st grade (basically a phonics currriculum) & is in MUS Alpha. He is not a confident reader but he is starting to really get it. I am thrilled. To move faster in either curriculum would result is less understanding, less retention, and tears. I am not going to do that. I did that with my oldest (now 14) and it was horrible for both of us. My next two (now 12 & 9) both taught themselves to read at the age of 4 and are about 2 years "ahead" in math. I don't push, I just let them go as fast as they are capable of understanding & retaining. And I'm doing the same thing for ds7.

I'd say a "good" homeschooling mom is one who lets her child move on in the advanced areas while shoring up the weak areas. If your dd can go through FLL a little faster, then go ahead! But don't feel you need to do 2 MUS lessons a week just to catch her up! Enjoying+learning+retaining = long term success!

Slow and steady wins the race.

Small but consistent steps.

I believe in all this. That said, I am concerned about grade levels as unfortunately I feel we are scrutinized by family members to make sure ds is "up to par" -- otherwise he should be in traditional school :glare: I get the feeling only because we're doing well thus far that they tolerate homeschooling. Otherwise they would have a family intervention with us. Then again, this is just a feeling and maybe just too much imagination on my part. Nevertheless, feelings are powerful and I do act on my intuition.

Keep in mind that alot of people don't even begin grammar until 3rd or 4th grade, and the amount of history the kids around here in ps are learning is very minimal. Same goes for WWE. I'd say just keep working steadily and consistantly and you'll be fine. The great thing about hsing is you CAN work at the child's pace, not force them into some "mold".

The only thing I have been concerned with in regards to grade level is reading. Ds#1 has never been a strong reader, nor has the ability to read ever come easily to him. He is now in the beginning of 3rd grade (by traditional school - we don't do much of anything by grade level, but by ability level), and is probably reading on a mid to late 2nd grade level, and is continuing to make progress. With him, I'll feel confident once he is reading on-par with his peers (and I'm guessing will probably pass them by this next summer). For all other subjects, I think it's too hard to gauge grade level because we "teach" things differently than the local schools (I don't think they cover Medieval and Early Modern times in 3rd grade around here, nor do they do spelling, writing, or most anything else we do like, say, Latin, like us ;) ). But reading is the biggie for me ...

For us, it was just being very consistent and steady in instruction (we use AAS and Hooked on Phonics). We didn't double up on it at all, but we did do our best to make sure he was practicing at least 5 days a week. We don't plan on them ever going to school, but I know once they are reading confidently and can read pretty much anything, then they can start learning how to be an independent learner regardless the subject. :)

We were originally looking at homeschooling as a one-year thing with option to continue and wanted to make sure he covered everything they'd cover in public school 4th grade so he wouldn't be at a disadvantage on standardized tests. Working at grade level wasn't an issue, because he'd already skipped a grade and works above the level he skipped TO. I've already decided we will continue homeschooling, however, so we're just covering what I think we need to cover, and to heck w/ what the public school feels is appropriate for 4th grade.

Personally, I'm not as concerned with them being 'at grade level' in the younger years, but get more concerned as they get towards middle school years. I think that kids develop at such different rates in that 5-8yo range that I don't pay much attention to grade levels at that point. It's at around 10-12yo that I think that there are certain things that they 'should' be able to do. That's not to say that I manage to teach them all those things, but I will work harder at that point to push them to get things that just aren't clicking, if that makes sense.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Yes, math, reading, writing, and grammar are important in the middle school years. Science & history is less so - formal or a little less formal works until high school.

I could care less about grade level. My kids know what "grade" they are in because they have a sister in public school, so they know about the idea of grades, but one of my main reasons for homeschooling is to work with my kids where they are. I'd imagine that my kids know lots of things that public schooled kids don't and don't know some things that have already been taught in the public schools around here. I don't care at all because my goal is not, never has been, and never will be to replicate what the schools are doing/teaching.

Tara

I don't purchase "grade leveled" materials with the exception of math. My goal is to teach them where they are with constant, slow progression forward.

I do agree with Megan in that I have specific goals that I like to see them achieve as they get older. I don't worry about those goals until around 4th grade......the younger yrs are more about laying a very firm foundation not matter what pace it takes to build it.

:iagree:

And remember that there will likely be faster periods and slower periods...

Try to keep your eye on long-term goals. If you strive to teach your child at whatever level is her "readiness" level (in each subject area -- they might differ), you'll be keeping her best interests in mind.

Personally, I feel having them at least, at grade level is really important. Although I strive for more, and not that it is that difficult because they are getting 1 on 1 instruction, it's my goal.

Why? Because right now we have an ideal situation; husbands got a great job, household is in order, everyone is doing well. But this is life, and it is only a sickness, car accident, job loss that could change our situation in a flash. When I took this endeavor of homeschooling on, I knew it was work. It's hard, some days

ungratifying but it our choice. It's my 7-3 full time job, and in tandem with that, I am mommy:) 24-7.

But I am a realist, and the if the day ever comes, when I have to mainstream them I will not let them down. They will be completely academically prepared. It is my promise to them along with family dinner on Sundays;)

My motivation is how much I truly love my family. I would do my best for a paying stranger (when I tutored) I will do above that for my kiddos. If I ever thought for one second that I was failing them, meaning doing less that the local PS can do for them academically, as hard as it would be I would place them into school. Barring learning disabilities, I think at the very least they should have an education equal to the PS.

I have seen it happen time and time again, when the home and PS education is just cast off, or placed aside. I am not talking about a few weeks but months. Sadly, sometimes years. Those kids suffer. They spend what ever time they have left playing catch-up, and when they test at QCC they have to take classes that give them no credit because they are working at such a low level. Please understand, I am talking about middle and high school kids with no learning issues. They suffer because they have zero study skills, organizational skills and they don't even understand how to cram for a test. I get those kids, and it's hard to prepare them in a few months or weeks, damage that's been going on for years.

I started tutoring for PSAT and SAT a couple of years ago. I started with my home school group, one that I ran. It was so depressing, the lack of knowledge some of the kids had. They were a minority in the homeschooling circles, but they were there and it was grossly apparent they had been doing absolutely nothing at home. Yes, I also see it from PS kids, but needless to say I can understand why. Crowded classrooms, less 1-1 attention, curriculum not tailored to their learning style, lack of teacher motivation, learning disabilities not yet diagnosed.

I take full responsibility for my children's education, if they have a learning disability (my son was diagnosed with APD at 3) I do everything to teach the information to them, even if it means, standing on my head and spitting nickles..lol, I just love them so much. To offer them anything less then their peers is unfair and selfish in my eyes(and only mine) and it is truly how I keep myself accountable, not anyone else just me.

I have a very close friend with 4 children two have CP. She gets the bare minimum done with them, between Dr's and everything else that's all she can do. But that is her only option, they would be sick constantly in a school environment, at least at home there is some respite. Knowing they have a life expectancy to 28 years old, school is on the back burner, she just wants time with them, and those situations are not by any means ones I am talking about.

I want to close by saying, this is not to make anyone feel bad or to say that I am superior. It is what keeps me in check, and it is my reasoning. I know there are many situations that I did not mention and those are family decisions. This is ours.

Boy, I rarely go on and on like this, I think I have PMS. :glare:

Edited by Pongo

That's my approach too. Merry :-)

I don't care if my children are ahead but do care if they are behind. It's mostly the reading, language arts and math. The other stuff you really cannot be ahead or behind imo but I do see what the area is doing and will make sure we do hit it so that they know the same stuff as others.

It was my parents that brought up that my children (younger ones)didn't know half the fairy tales besides the disney ones and that my oldest didn't know much about myths and simple machines so we did a little on all that stuff.

I would be concerned if they got behind for my self that means I have somewheres failed in teaching them.

Personally, I feel having them, at least, at grade level is really important.

:iagree:

I had to force myself not to quote the entire post, but I thought it was excellent. My husband and I agreed that if it ever got to the point where I felt so overwhelmed by life and homeschooling that I was unable to teach the children consistently, we would put them into school. Barring learning disabilities or an extreme situation with the child, I think they should be at least at grade level.

I don't care at all because my goal is not, never has been, and never will be to replicate what the schools are doing/teaching.

I wanted to elaborate on my own post. I have a child in public school, and I have witnessed firsthand the scattershot curriculum, poor teaching methods, and fluff/distractions the detract from academics. I feel that my public-schooled child is getting a poor education. I have no interest in trying to approximate, in any way, what the public schools do. I believe that, whether my kids are "on grade level," which is kind-of meaningless anyway because various schools teach various things at various times, they are getting a superior education, regardless of what "level" they are on.

Tara

is "how concerned are you with your kids being at grade level?" I started to answer and then the power went out.

I am not worried about my children being at "grade level". You know I don't know what grade level is. I feel as if it is a label that was created by the public school system in order to set certain standards. I feel that I am a homeschooler and as long as my children can read well, write well, and do math well, then why should I worry about society's labels.

Blessings,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

I am not conserned with grade level per say, yet I do want to make sure if something happened they will be able to adjust easily to ps. One of the things I do is about once a year I print of the expected outcomes for our district. It helps me to see what the boys peers are suppose to be learning and if there are any topics we may not have covered. For example, I recently did this and I saw that in the next year or two my son would be learning about magnets and the solar system in ps. Well I think those would be fun science topics for him so I will look into adding those into our school day. I typically look a grade below, current grade and 2 grades ahead. I don't follow a set curriculum at this point.

My main goal is to give my boys a firm foundation in reading and math. My oldest is now learning how to read for knowledge. He is reading very independently and we will most like start the history cycle next year. My middle will join him when he is reading very independently. Currently my oldest is able to pick many of the topics we learn about and I just check out tons of books and then we make lapbooks or just talk about the books.

I've not been concerned about "grade level" and where they would be at in this school or that school. For me it is more about mastery. We don't move on to new skills until they really know how to do what we have been working on. So according to a lot of curriculum and schools we are ahead in some areas and behind in others.

:001_smile:

:iagree: That was very well said Pongo.

I have the goal that my children shall be at least at the level of the ps schools unless there is a legitimate reason for them to be behind. My younger dd is young for her grade (in 2nd but turns 7 in Nov.) Her spelling is below level at this point. I'm aware of this so she does spelling related activities every single school day. She does WWE and daily copywork, SWO, and phonics games. She needs the exposure to that much writing so she can get the images in her head. If she is still 'behind' at the end of the year that's fine. But I will know that I have done my best to help her move forward.

It's soo easy to slough off days or let them do half the work because I don't feel like working, or am focused on something else. If I do this consistently then I am not being a good example. They will learn all sorts of bad habits. Catching up on knowledge is not that hard to do in some areas. However, building good habits takes a lifetime of effort. I want my children to be able to graduate with all 5 major 30 level courses(eng, math, 2 sciences, soc.studies). They will need study skills and good work habits to do this. If they accomplish this, then they will be able to pursue post-secondary ed in most areas.

While it is possible to upgrade, I don't want my lack of discipline to be the reason for that. If they fail to apply themselves and have to upgrade then that's their fault and they will pay the consequences.

Now, this doesn't mean that I will double up on math lessons at the elementary level. I only do this if it takes them 10 min. to finish one lesson and doing another will take another 10-15 min(for the 4th grader). I would have my dd do math during the summer if they weren't finished their level. No one wants to start a year knowing that they're behind what's expected.

JMPOV

Is "somewhat important" an answer?

I never put alot of thought into it, to be honest. I figured if they were making progress in math, loving to read, and were learning to be obedient and happy, we were doing just fine. We've always thought we would homeschool forever.

Then, this summer, we had a family crisis of sorts that got us to thinking that we may need to put the children into a Christian school for a time. We spent some time looking at various schools, what they were doing with the children, and how our children may fit in. I was really surprised at what we found!

For one thing, their reading lists were just jokes! For my ten year old, quite a few of the schools were listing over half of their required reading as titles from the Hardy Boys or Nancy Drew series! Also, lots of titles from the American Girl series and similiar books. We got as much info. as we could on the academics offered and were really surprised that some of the schools offered practically no info. about their academics. But, they were eager to tell about their sports programs and their after-school activities. Without testing, it would be hard to guess where a child would place grade-wise.

In the end, we decided we were doing fine and God will keep taking care of us. I think being close to grade level is important just because we never know exactly what the future will bring but what is most important is being on a steady road where the children are progressing in their basic skills and learning to follow through on assignments and direct their own time. Then, if they do end up in school, they'll be fine.

Edited by Donna T.

I am not concerned about my kids being at grade level, but I am concerned that...

a) they are challenged and moving forward at the appropriate pace *for them* -- meaning not boring, keeping them interested in learning.

b) that we cover everything I want to cover by 8th grade, because our plan is for them to enter public or private high school in 9th. I have a loose outline of each year planned to help me stay on track.

If I had a child who was substantially below grade level in math or reading, I would want to know why. If there's a good reason, that's fine. If our math program wasn't working, or we just didn't feel like doing math 3 out of 5 days for the last year, that would be a problem. (one I could easily fall into myself, but it certainly doesn't sound like that's your issue!!)

For 2nd grade, just stick to the basics and keep moving forward, make sure she is learning and enjoying things as she goes. It sounds like you're doing fine!

Also we have annual standardized tests here in MN. Even though we don't have to report the scores, I want the kids to do well on them. And they want to do well themselves. Typically what we covered in science or history won't match up to what ps kids studied that particular year, but I don't want to replicate what the ps is doing by any means. So I bought those "what your nth grader needs to know" books and we read social studies and science out of there every day for about 2 months before the test. My kids have been acing their tests so it's working so far.

So if you are worried about a particular topic, or just want to put your mind at ease, get those books and read them. You will be shocked at the lack of depth they go into on most topics!!

I meant to also say that it sounds like you are doing great. It really does! I think your have a solid 2nd grade curriculum there. My oldest son didn't start Alpha until 2nd grade and by the time we got to Delta, I was really glad that he had started in 2nd grade rather than first. My other son, who started MUS at a younger age, got burned out on it and we had to change his curriculum.

I place great importance on making sure my children are working at *their* level, meaning that they are working at a level that is challenging but not challenging to the point of frustration. If working at a 1st grade level is your daughter's level of appropriate challenge, then you are doing fine.

However--

If she is working at a 1st grade level in 2nd grade because you essentially never got around to doing 1st grade with her when she was actually *in* 1st grade, then I think, frankly, that you are doing her a disservice.

I understand that you had a lot going on last year, but if things have settled down, now is the time to move ahead quickly, compacting your curriculum as necessary. It's far easier to compact at this point than it will be in a few years.

My 2nd grader is doing mostly first grade work as well. He is just over halfway through FFL-1 and SWO-A, STOW-1 as well. I'm looking into starting WWE-2 when he gets to FFL-2, which should be about Jan. Since our language program was weak last year I really want to get him up to grade level by the time he starts 3rd-grade, but it's more important to me that he adsorbs the material. If that doesn't happen and we don't get caught up I won't stress about. (I won't stress about it, I won't stress about it)

I'm not at all concerned about catching him in STOW though!! I was going back in forth last year between STOW and Star Spangled States. I went with States and I'm not sorry I did. I think we are chapter 9 of STOW.

I'm not concerned at all. Ds has never sat for a formal exam. They're not required in my state and I couldn't care less how he's doing compared to other children his age. I'm more interested in him doing his personal best. Having said that, ds can smoke most ps'd kids his age in most subjects. As I suspected, his personal best is good enough.

I wanted to thank everyone for their replies and for sharing their own personal experiences. I feel like she is at a good place for her, personally. She doesn't seem bored, and the material seems to be moving at a decent speed for her overall.

However--

If she is working at a 1st grade level in 2nd grade because you essentially never got around to doing 1st grade with her when she was actually *in* 1st grade, then I think, frankly, that you are doing her a disservice.

I understand that you had a lot going on last year, but if things have settled down, now is the time to move ahead quickly, compacting your curriculum as necessary. It's far easier to compact at this point than it will be in a few years.

See, I guess this is the haunting question that nags me in the back of my brain. Is it her or was it me? It wasn't that we did NO school, I just didn't have all my "stuff" together like I do now. I really think that with reading, a large part of it was her readiness to do it, and a smaller part of it has been that she didn't have the phonics toolbox she needed. (Which I didn't realize was as important for her until after her OCD manifest and we realized she is a very "rules-oriented" person like my BIL.) I've thought maybe she should be a bit further ahead in Math, but I think we'll work on Math through next summer, too.

I'm rambling....I think I feel generally good about the pace we are moving at, which makes me hesitant to try and move things faster. I am going to look at the FLL1 and see what lessons we can combine, since she definitely has the definition of a noun memorized. ;) I feel like moving faster on the MUS could be risky, so I think we'll just keep moving forward.

Thanks again for all the input.

Not at all. I never thought of my dc in terms of their "grade levels," only of their ages (except for each year in the fall, so I could "promote" them; makes Sunday school teachers and grandparents happier if they know the dc's "grade levels," lol).

Of course, I hsed in a state that had no annual testing/evaluation requirement; I'm sure my methods would have been different if I had.

Some people put a lot of energy into having their kids be average or above average (seems like the latter is more important for most parents).

For me? That just took WAY too much energy. My kids were where they were PERIOD. So if my 7yo couldn't spell AT ALL though she had started Algebra, oh well. We worked on the spelling and the algebra (Dolciani). In time, it worked out well enough. My ds was an extremely late bloomer. He got to "low average" about the time he turned 13, after being YEARS behind average for YEARS. Such is life.

I do think I had some advantages in order to think this way. But I think part of it is just my philosophy also. Kids are individuals and they need to learn at their own pace. How broad or deep is also individual. I look at the strengths and abilities and gifts of every student. And we just keep plugging along in regards to weaknesses, dislikes, etc.

Anyway, regardless of what the future holds (for example, public school entrance at some time), pushing a child (or holding one back) isn't going to make nearly as much of a difference as going based on what the child needs. The REAL difference is the amount of stress, self-esteem, and enjoyment involved both for the student and the teacher.

I did a LOT of extra work with my youngest to get her up to grade level in reading. She is dyslexic. I got her caught up to grade level for reading by the end of 4th grade. Dyslexics typically need a lot more repetition than other kids. What takes most kids 5-10 exposures to learn will often take dyslexic kids 50-100 exposures.

She is up to grade level in everything except spelling and written expression now. Reading was my big push though. If you can't read, you'r sunk. It's the basis for all independent learning.

I did not find WTM until this summer. We were not on any set curriculum before that. But now that I have, I use curriculum from TWTM mixed with CM. My ds7 is doing WWE1 and FLL1 to ensure that he has a good grip on everything. He has some comprehension issues that I'm still trying to figure out. He'll be eight next month. I'm not worried at the moment about what level he is at because he's learning and he's enjoying it. I'm sure when he's ready he'll bloom but I don't mind waiting until he does.

I'm not sure if he'll go to ps high school so once middle school comes around I may change my tune.

I don't have to do any standardized testing here so I guess that has influenced my take on it as well.

Good luck.

;)