Menu

Poll: Why did your son quit Cub Scouts?

Why did your son quit Cub or Boy Scouts  

1. 1. Why did your son quit Cub or Boy Scouts

• The Meetings Were Boring
    • Sports
    • Lost interest in Scouting
    • You didn't like it/wasn't convenient for mom or dad.
    • other

The den was totally incompatible. Just can't have fun with children who are not interested in others and are only there b/c the parents have been advised by the psych/pediatrician to sign them up. Imagine playing checkers with an opponent who will not speak or look at you. We were unable to find another den to join, so dropped. Sibling's den went fine.

My son quit because we moved. His previous den was consisted of homeschoolers, private school, and public school kids. Some he knew from church too, so it was a great group for him.

Once we moved he wasn't that interested in starting again, dh was working long hours and we only had one car so we never pursued joining.

This year he is joining 4H.

so I checked 'other.'

The parents were the NOSIEST people I had ever met. I understand questions that facilitate one's getting to know someone else, but we had already lived in the neighborhood for a year, had playdates, invited kids to birthday parties, bought fundraiser items, etc.....but for some reason, joining CUB scouts brought out the nosiest questions and DH and I decided to bag it.

We have since bought a home in a community that has a different scout troop, and DH wants to join with DS. I am hoping it will be different. DD8 did attend her first brownie meeting yesterday afternoon, and she loved it, and it seemed to go quite well. I am hoping for the same with cub scouts and DS.

We made my son stick it out in cub scouts, partially because he had no friends and little contact with the world outside of our small insular little homeschooling world and partially because we had the misguided idea that it would help my son have friends. He hated it. It was just too much of a sensory overload for this quiet, sensory avoiding kid. He could not stand how noisy and busy the other kids were. Plus he felt that they were interested in "stupid" things.

He lasted in boy scouts for 9 months before we gave him permission to quit. In retrospect, I really wish we had ditched cub scouts and just tried boy scouts. He really is not much of an outdoors kind of kid, as much as we are trying to change that.

ETA: My oldest is in boy scouts and still likes it.

I felt like I did much of the work.
That's actually the way the program is supposed to work. Most of the requirements for advancement are designed to be done at home with the family. The point is not just for the boys to do these things, but to get their families involved too. We old timers don't like to call it work, we like to call it fun and learning with our sons (but yeah, it really is work). This is one reason Scouting is becoming more and more popular with homeschoolers. It just fits in with what we do every day anyway.

The reality, though, is that this doesn't work for every family these days. So many packs and dens try to do it all in the den meetings rather than asking the boys to fulfill the requirements at home.

Edited by Janet in WA

I voted "other" because our sons didn't quit Cub Scouts. They're all Eagle Scouts. Hope you don't mind that I participated in the poll anyway.

Congratulations to your sons! :)

Thanks for the responses! My son so far loves cub scouts. He was the only Tiger at last nights meeting. :(

We need to do some recruiting. I was just curious why scouts seem to lose so many boys. I wish I could be a cub scout!

My son quit because the den was completely incompatible. They constantly dragged god into everything and had no respect for those who are not conservative Christians.

The Scouts medieval attitude on gays also was terribly troubling for me.

Last, the Scout's quirk for sending children begging door-to-door with cookies so unhealthy I wouldn't feed them to my dog was the show-stopper for me. I find this akin to the barely-clothed high school cheerleaders out at intersections "collecting" money for their team. This might have been a good idea back in Mayberry in the 1960's. In a large metro area it's a horrible idea foisted as "tradition" to bamboozle tens of thousands of parents to sell cookies and other junk food and send their money to the Scouts, as if they didn't have way too much already.

As you can tell, my one brush with the Scout movement was very unpalatable. I just have a thing about backward behavior.

Our middle son actually enjoyed Cub Scouts, but he was immature and had sensory issues (turns out to be Asperger's) that made the whole experience stressful for all of us. So we made the decision to have him take a break between finishing Webelos and moving into a troop. It turned out to be a two year break. But he matured and improved in his social skills enough over those two years that it made all the difference in his readiness to handle being in a troop.

I voted other too, as we didn't quit. My ds sits for his Eagle Board of Review--tomorrow! That said, I was a very involved CS parent--still am, as my ds is a Den Chief. I've seen boys come and go, and the biggest reason for quitting was that the parents don't want to put in the time. .

All the best to your son for tomorrow!

My dh wants to make cubs less about arts/crafts and more about outdoor stuff. We think the den meetings need to be fun and active but another den leader told us some parents WILL NOT work with their kids at home so some stuff will have to be done in the den meeting.

We didn't quit, but I wanted to because the other boys were HORRIBLY behaved. No one ever made them mind, and it drove me insane.

The only reason we stuck it out is because Ds is the only boy in a house full of girls, and Dh did all of the work. When he was out of town, we just skipped the meetings.

Ds loves Boy Scouts. we did trade to a more compatible troop. Ds tends to focus on only music and computers. Boy Scouts has gotten him interested in camping and biking and fishing and backpacking. These are not things that we would have done much as a family.

Dh also goes to all functions with Ds. This has helped their relationship grow.

My son quit because the den was completely incompatible. They constantly dragged god into everything and had no respect for those who are not conservative Christians.

Last, the Scout's quirk for sending children begging door-to-door with cookies so unhealthy I wouldn't feed them to my dog was the show-stopper for me. I find this akin to the barely-clothed high school cheerleaders out at intersections "collecting" money for their team. This might have been a good idea back in Mayberry in the 1960's. In a large metro area it's a horrible idea foisted as "tradition" to bamboozle tens of thousands of parents to sell cookies and other junk food and send their money to the Scouts, as if they didn't have way too much already.

As you can tell, my one brush with the Scout movement was very unpalatable. I just have a thing about backward behavior.

I really hate the popcorn selling too. If we have to raise money, I would rather do it in a healthier way. Selling wreaths or home made soups or something. :)

I understand too about the other issues. I don't want to debate it here, but I truly understand.

Not at all arguing your perspective or being snarky (honest), but didn't you understand all of these things Before you started? I guess, for me, if I had your views, I wouldn't have started with BSA in the first place.

OP so glad you've posted this. My oldest are just in boy scouts, and the little guy really wants to be a tiger scout...we're debating. My concern is I don't want him to be burnt out by the time he's old enough for boy scouts, in four years. Any thoughts on this? Anyone?

OP so glad you've posted this. My oldest are just in boy scouts, and the little guy really wants to be a tiger scout...we're debating. My concern is I don't want him to be burnt out by the time he's old enough for boy scouts, in four years. Any thoughts on this? Anyone?
My dh would LOVE what you just said. He firmly believes that the program has weakened itself by stetching to involve younger and younger boys and making their earliest experiences too much like that they will experience as older Scouts. I hope it's not true that boys burn out or lose interest, but dh has studied early childhood development, and has worked as a BSA professional for 30 years, and is firm in his belief that it is true.

I voted "other" because our sons didn't quit Cub Scouts. They're all Eagle Scouts. Hope you don't mind that I participated in the poll anyway.

This, except my boys aren't Eagle Scouts yet. Our pack (cub) and troop (boy) are awesome and my boys absolutely love scouting with them.

My little guy just started Tigers this year. Due to being a tag-a-long for so many "big boy" Boy Scout events he could barely stand to wait for first grade to start so he could have his own meetings and events. He has two meetings a month, one with his den (just Tigers) and one with his pack (Tigers through Webelos II), and special events spread around randomly. He's head over heels in love with scouting. And he still gets hauled around to "big boy" events on a regular basis. (lol)

Edited by SilverMoon

We left a Cub Scout Troop when it became obvious that no one wanted to talk to us...... perhaps because we didn't go to that church? ..... perhaps because we were Christian Scientists? ....... perhaps because....... ???? Aw heck, I don't know why, but rather abruptly they all just stopped acknowledging our existence and would keep their kids from playing with our boy... yes, it was obvious.

So now our boy is a Lone Wolf....... it is working for us well for now.... we will try a Pack again when the boy is Boy Scout age. We have moved to a new state and maybe they won't be as freaky. :lol:

My dh would LOVE what you just said. He firmly believes that the program has weakened itself by stetching to involve younger and younger boys and making their earliest experiences too much like that they will experience as older Scouts. I hope it's not true that boys burn out or lose interest, but dh has studied early childhood development, and has worked as a BSA professional for 30 years, and is firm in his belief that it is true.

FWIW, my guy just started this year at age 12, and I think it was good for him to wait. He did regret a tiny bit that he was a bit "behind" at first (I think if you were a CS you start a rank ahead of total newbies?), but it's not hard to catch up.

One of the charms of Boy Scouts - to this child of mine, anyway - is that the guys are really responsible for doing things at campouts and must work to earn what they are awarded. I don't know how much CS's are asked to handle on their own, but I can't imagine the younger kids cooking for their patrol, etc. I guess that under ideal conditions, the parents train and then transition, but again, the transition of responsibility wouldn't come until the boys are older anyway.

Just my 2 cents. We are still scouting newbies, but loving it already. First family campout this weekend (up to now dh and boy have had all the fun!)!

Well, okay, I don't *love* the fundraising, but who really does? But that in itself has been a lesson to my son!

Edited by AuntieM

I've heard arguments both ways on burnout before BS. I think if it's a challenging program, with outdoor stuff, the burnout doesn't happen. It's not like they're camping 3 weekends a month--it's 2 den meetings and 1 pack meeting or activity a month.
I don't know if I buy the burnout thing either. I don't think boys ever get tired of having fun with other boys.

Sadly, though, the program is taking another turn that will most likely take a lot of that fun out of the meetings. It's being condensed down to 15 or so meetings a year, and those meetings will cram in all the advancement activities with the total emphasis being on earning the ranks. No games, no monthly themes. No more program helps -- just "lesson plans" (which I helped write, so I know exactly what they are like). Very like another hour or two of school. They are saying that the leaders can choose to have further meetings full of fun if they wish. But the whole point of this change is to allow the leaders and boys to devote less time to Cub Scouts because boys and leaders are too busy for the old program.

My disclaimer is that I agreed to help write this new curriculum because I was told that it would be offered as "one option" for packs who felt they couldn't manage the old way of doing Cub Scouts. After the program was written, they then informed us that this new curriculum would be "the one and only delivery method" for the Cub Scout program. :glare:

We actually quit yesterday by NOT going to the meeting where our son would have received his tiger cub badge.

His entire group was OUT. OF. CONTROL.

It was like going to the zoo, except there were no bars. :D

And the other parents just sat there and talked while their sons threw crayons, stuck things up their noses, screamed like banshees, hit and kicked the kid next to them, ate paper, etc........ :confused:

My poor little guy just sat there staring at me the entire meeting.

My son didn't want to go back and I wouldn't want ANY of those kids/parents at my house, so really, what would be the point in getting to know them anyway? :001_huh:

We also quit boy scouts for our older two, bc the meetings were boring, the assignments were insane (we have a VERY challenging school day and are not interested in busywork), and they never actually got to speak to another kid.

It was not what we expected, so we're moving on~

Besides, we bike, camp, and kayak together as a family, so we don't need someone else to plan these activities for us. ;)

Our meetings were boring - not all the time, but too often. There were kids whose behavior made scouting less fun for everyone - nothing terrible, but just sort of unpleasant. I have very pleasant boys, so I know my standards are high, but I just didn't care for being in the group.

Overall, though, I think that our cub scouts program was too dependent on parents who really weren't excited about being there. I felt like I give my kids better camping experience on my own. I discovered that I really dislike camping with a group of people. I think my children get more out of camping with just me or with me and DH. 30 people just camp differently, and there wasn't a lot of real skill development or chances for taking on responsibility. They would bring so much equipment - enormous stoves and massive coolers of koolaid or whatever - it just felt very inauthentic.

We did like working the badges, though.

We quit because there was only one other scout in each of our boys packs. In both packs, the other parent was the leader and my sons were their son's play mate. Sometimes they colored, most of the time I'd drive all over so the other boys could show off toys to my sons at their houses. The packs never worked on any projects.

There is a large den that we were going to join this year but found sports they love instead. I figure they might be able to do both sports and scouts in the spring, but we'll see.

He did regret a tiny bit that he was a bit "behind" at first (I think if you were a CS you start a rank ahead of total newbies?), but it's not hard to catch up.

Actually, newbies in Boy Scouts do not start out behind. Everyone starts at the same place - working toward Scout, then Tenderfoot, Second Class, then First Class. No one comes in at a higher rank because they did Cub Scouts. Now some may have earned their Arrow of Light as a Webelo, which is the only award from CS that can be worn on the BS shirt, but it does not impact earning ranks in BS.

However, depending on when they Webelos bridged from CS to BS, they may have had a head start. Around here, Webelos tend to bridge over in February or March, so they join the new troop then. So, they may have had a few months head start if a newbie joins a troop in the fall.

We started a HS pack last year, and it totally imploded.

First of all, my boys just didn't like it. They liked archery and shooting bb guns, but everything else they hated.

It didn't help that we had this scary dad join who was disruptive, didn't EVER watch his kids, only wanted to talk about fundraising and the website he wanted to make for the boys in the pack to "chat" after we told him repeatedly that NO ONE wanted him to do the site, or have our kids participate, oh and he did some shady stuff with our pack $$. Right now he is in the process of harrassing one of our old members over nothing. Oh, and the local council is going to hire him.

Oh, and about council... they totally lied to our faces several times about many different things. They assured us that we were able to do our pack how we wanted, seemed to be helpful and all of that, then completely change their tune a week later or moths into the whole thing. A complete mess and a mistake.

I also didn't like the pimping of my kids over the popcorn, the religion policy 9although it is their right, so I will not press the issue), and some other general things... I had hoped that the positives would outweigh the negatives, but then the negatives became like a tsunami and swallowed our pack alive.

I also HATED the summer camp, where the other boys were obnoxious, not adequately supervised, and they had a "snack station" with only junk food. Also they roped my friend and I into leading a group and did not help, listen to or take seriously our concerns about a group of 4 boys that was escalating over the week which ended up with a 3 on 1 beat-up in the bathroom. "hahaha, they're just being boys!" :angry:

So, um... I was NOT happy.

A lot of the people were wonderful, helpful and really nice people... however I know that there are 4 of us (4 families, each with more than 1 boy) who were so turned off by the whole thing, that we will NEVER participate again. All due to the failings of council and the one insane dad. He showed up at my friend's house demanding to talk to her last week in full scout uniform demanding that she sign a completely false and post-dated letter (as they lost the original) 7 months after our pack disbanded.

Do I sound pissed?

well, I am.

I know a lot of kids and parents get a lot out of the program, and I wished that we could have been one of them. Oh well....:tongue_smilie:

I wish all of you having a good time, that you continue.

But sometime it doesn't matter how much you put into it, it just wasn't meant to be.

end of my rant....

We love our pack. I pray that never changes.

I got a bit nervous last night when my son's den leader started asking questions along the lines of "Are you still homeschooling?" I hope the group doesn't become hostile to home schooling. It would crush my son if we were forced out for that reason.

A well run scout troop is a real joy to be part of. I have to say that ours is really wonderful. It's been a blessing in every respect, and I pray it remains that way.

btw--on the selling healthier things--my ds made good money selling compost and manure for people's gardens. The manure was free but we asked for a donation for the hauling. He hopes to do well next spring again--he's working on the compost pile! He offers chicken, llama, sheep or cattle manure and has a booming business. 10% goes to the troop and he gets the rest. Good all around.

I've heard arguments both ways on burnout before BS. I think if it's a challenging program, with outdoor stuff, the burnout doesn't happen. It's not like they're camping 3 weekends a month--it's 2 den meetings and 1 pack meeting or activity a month.

Actually I think it depends on the den. We joined at the back to school sign up and within a week were selling popcorn and had forms to fill out for 3 campouts all were going on before the end of October.

It was a little off-putting and a lot overwhelming. I am not too keen on the pack we have joined either.

We jumped right in as adult volunteers and well...there are a lot of adult drama situations in meetings, among committees, with the conservative parents...especially over halloween campout and not having any witches or such things.

I like scouts but agree that starting in 1st grade could easily cause burnout from the boys and well...from the parents also.

This, except my boys aren't Eagle Scouts yet. Our pack (cub) and troop (boy) are awesome and my boys absolutely love scouting with them.

My little guy just started Tigers this year. Due to being a tag-a-long for so many "big boy" Boy Scout events he could barely stand to wait for first grade to start so he could have his own meetings and events. He has two meetings a month, one with his den (just Tigers) and one with his pack (Tigers through Webelos II), and special events spread around randomly. He's head over heels in love with scouting. And he still gets hauled around to "big boy" events on a regular basis. (lol)

That's encouraging.

The den was totally incompatible. Just can't have fun with children who are not interested in others and are only there b/c the parents have been advised by the psych/pediatrician to sign them up. Imagine playing checkers with an opponent who will not speak or look at you. We were unable to find another den to join, so dropped. Sibling's den went fine.

I'm not saying this to be mean or offensive to anyone, but almost every boy in our pack/den has some sort of diagnosis or is being evaluated. My son is having a bit of a time adjusting and it is not what I thought it would be when we joined. We will probably try to find another pack to join next year.

My dh, not a religious man, not only accompanied son #1 to multiple meetings, campouts, etc., but agreed to lead the pack for three years. He finally quit in frustration. Here is a partial listing of the problems he encountered:

-parents wanted to either drop their kids off or come and ignore them for 2 hours while the 2 overextended leaders attempted to run a meeting of sometimes out of control boys.

-no one else was willing to share the considerable work with him, of organizing meetings, setting up campouts or any of the other activities.

-he had to deal with disrespectful fellow parents who criticized his handling of the religion issue without offering to help or pitch in. Our small pack was extremely religiously diverse and dh chose to allow people a lot of latitude in meeting the religion badges, if they chose to at all. Not everyone liked this.

-in the end, when a boy who had gay parents joined, he had a crisis of faith in the organization, because he realized that the national scout organization would not have condoned his decision. He decided that morally, he couldn't continue to support an organization that actively tried to exclude children or parents who are gay.

Now, our youngest is lobbying to become a scout, knowing that his brothers did before him. It's difficult to handle. I wish BSA was a different kind of organization, it would be easier to support my little one.

"Other" here.

Like any organization, the pack reflects the people running it. Get a couple of adults in charge who are disorganized and procrastinate, and it becomes a mess quickly.

Meaning, don't have me in charge! :lol:

I'm reading this thread with interest as dh is trying out this scouting thing with our six-year-old. He got recruited by a friend and his dad (who's also dh's friend). Dh and I are both a bit wary of such organized clubs, but we'll see. His friend is trying out being a leader this year.

How many years ago was THAT? :lol:

It is a private organization that allows prayer but does not force anyone to participate.

Yea, Well...that's what they claimed then. But even the motto is a prayer, and if you refuse to say that you've got a problem.

I'll pass.

Bill

in the end, when a boy who had gay parents joined, he had a crisis of faith in the organization, because he realized that the national scout organization would not have condoned his decision. He decided that morally, he couldn't continue to support an organization that actively tried to exclude children or parents who are gay.
If your dh believed this, he was misinformed. There is absolutely no prohibition against boys -- or their parents -- being gay. Where did he get this information?

When dh registered him, he asked when meetings would be. They gave a day and time. Dh said that would be fine and gave them the one day and time that ds would not be able to attend. They scheduled the meetings for that day and time exactly. And, no, our money was not refunded. :glare:

If your dh believed this, he was misinformed. There is absolutely no prohibition against boys -- or their parents -- being gay. Where did he get this information?

The Boy Scouts don't allow atheists, agnostics, and "known or avowed" homosexuals to be members. Look at the BSA web-site they are fighting numerous lawsuits to defend their discriminatory practices.

http://www.bsalegal.org/faqs-195.asp

The Boy Scouts don't allow atheists, agnostics, and "known or avowed" homosexuals to be members. Look at the BSA web-site they are fighting numerous lawsuits to defend their discriminatory practices.

http://www.bsalegal.org/faqs-195.asp

Again, you're mistaken. They don't allow gay adults to be registered leaders. There's no policy concerning boy members or their parents, which is what Catherine mentioned. They do require boy members to have a belief in God. Those are the facts. I don't need a link. I've lived this for 30 years, so there's not likely to be a policy or legal issue with which I'm not familiar. Edited by Janet in WA

Again, you're mistaken. They don't allow gay adults to be registered leaders. There's no prohibition about boy members or their parents, which is what Catherine mentioned. They do require boy members to have a belief in God. Those are the facts. I don't need a link. I've lived this for 30 years, so there's not likely to be a policy or legal issue with which I'm not familiar.

I'm sorry, but you are dead wrong. Homosexuals are excluded from youth membership according to the BSA itself:

"Boy Scouts of America believes that homosexual conduct is inconsistent with the obligations in the Scout Oath and Scout Law to be morally straight and clean in thought, word, and deed. The conduct of youth members must be in compliance with the Scout Oath and Law, and membership in Boy Scouts of America is contingent upon the willingness to accept ScoutingĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s values and beliefs."

http://www.bsalegal.org/morally-straight-cases-225.asp

Maybe it would be a good idea to follow some links and get "familiar" with the real story.

Bill