Menu

Can't see us breaking popcorn sale records

mirth

First of all, here are highest popcorn sales amongst boy scouts last year.

Second of all, here are the ingredients for Trail's End Microwave Popcorn (boy scouts' popcorn supplier). 7.5g trans fat per bag ... Seriously?

A few years ago, we bought a case of pc from our Cub Scout neighbor to be nice but once I saw trans fats on it, my husband put the box in the car and I never saw it again. I was hoping they would've re-formulated the oil mixture away from trans fats. As the mom of a newly minted Tiger Cub, I don't see us having any popcorn sales at all. I can see us donating money or selling something else and donating the proceeds to the pack. I am worried this will be frowned upon. I have been worried about this ever since I considered the idea of Cubs for our older son. But even if the frowning happens, I guess this is just some discrimination we will have to grit through. The pack goal is $600 sales/cub.(!)

Any helpful ideas? (I have been seriously worried about this. We are fine with donating money or selling something else. Have I already mentioned this?? See I fret over this.) Being a Tiger Cub is so impt to my son (he's 5). He is really into it and I don't want to see him hurt. I can talk to the den leader but they are having 2 parent and den 'rah-rah' meetings on how important popcorn sales are. I know they're important. I just wish the cubs could sell something people actually want, like Girl Scout Cookies!

Edited by mirth

Wow, that trans fat is very, very high. And the popcorn is so expensive too. One time I was able to buy it because they took it out of the boxes and wrapped it into $3 and $5 packs instead of $8 or $9 per box. I would love to support Boy Scouts but they have to get realistic in these times!

We sell Girl Scout cookies and do our best. We often come up short on the sales goals, but it's tough out there!!! Good luck to your den!

I have never had anyone complain about the transfat. They are not happy that Kettle Corn is gone. That is going to hurt our sales, big time!!

Another issue is the missing chocolate. DS has people who order only chocolate.. even had one lady call us looking for a scout to order chocolate from b/c she wants it every year at Christmas. We haven't gone by her house, but she is going to be very unhappy.

One reason to NOT get the light popcorn/microwave is that it is the worst tasting. Really bland. But many of the elderly buy it from him.

We are finding sales down b/c people who usually order $60-80 worth are getting $35.... and the $20-30 range people are getting the $10 tin. That is painful! DS goal is $1800.... he is only to $400.

You know, talk to your pack leader about this.

The reason is the amount of money from the popcorn sales that the pack actually gets is VERY VERY SMALL.

Our pack is allowing people do just donate the money they would be spending directly to the pack. No unhealthy foods AND the pack gets 100% of the money.

They are still doing the popcorn, but giving the money donation as an option.

Even the grandparents were excited about not having to buy popcorn.

This is our first year of popcorn sales with 12yo new Boy Scout. I honestly cringe when I have to tell people the price (or when I'm around and he's telling them the price, he is actually doing al the selling). I am thankful for people who really enjoy supporting the Scouts because I know I could never spend that amount of money on popcorn myself!

One thing that helps tremendously is product recognition, he is pleasantly discovering that folks know all about what he is selling.

We had are having neighborhood garage sales this weekend and he has put on his uniform and set up a table with his popcorn and other fund-raising items to sell (some grocery store coupon books and trash bags). He has sold a few things and that has really charged him up to sell more. Our true goal is small - $315 dollars this year to cover his troop activity fee - but next year we will probably come up with some strategies to sell much more since he'll want to go to high adventure camp the following year and will need quite a bit more in his account for that.

Some of our Scouts were planning to set up shop outside a major local retailer, I'm sure they have all the proper permissions and I am eager to hear of their results.

You know, you just do it because that's what you do. People will either buy it or they won't. I just bought some from a cute little Cub Scout the other day, and Mr. Ellie and I ate the whole thing. Yum. I figure once a year won't hurt us, and it was for a good cause (and I overpaid and told him to keep the change).

You know, you just do it because that's what you do. People will either buy it or they won't. I just bought some from a cute little Cub Scout the other day, and Mr. Ellie and I ate the whole thing. Yum. I figure once a year won't hurt us, and it was for a good cause (and I overpaid and told him to keep the change).

Oh, I'll buy some. I'm glad I got the sticker shock online instead of in front of some earnest little face trying to raise money for his troop!

Second of all, here are the ingredients for Trail's End Microwave Popcorn (boy scouts' popcorn supplier). 7.5g trans fat per bag ... Seriously?

A few years ago, we bought a case of pc from our Cub Scout neighbor to be nice but once I saw trans fats on it, my husband put the box in the car and I never saw it again. I was hoping they would've re-formulated the oil mixture away from trans fats. As the mom of a newly minted Tiger Cub, I don't see us having any popcorn sales at all. I can see us donating money or selling something else and donating the proceeds to the pack. I am worried this will be frowned upon. I have been worried about this ever since I considered the idea of Cubs for our older son. But even if the frowning happens, I guess this is just some discrimination we will have to grit through. The pack goal is $600 sales/cub.(!)

Any helpful ideas? (I have been seriously worried about this. We are fine with donating money or selling something else. Have I already mentioned this?? See I fret over this.) Being a Tiger Cub is so impt to my son (he's 5). He is really into it and I don't want to see him hurt. I can talk to the den leader but they are having 2 parent and den 'rah-rah' meetings on how important popcorn sales are. I know they're important. I just wish the cubs could sell something people actually want, like Girl Scout Cookies!

Something to keep in mind if someone frowns at you.....if you were to sell the popcorn or cookies or whatever, the Scouts only get a tiny percentage of the money. Most of it goes to the manufacturer. I've read estimates of only 10-20% of the money collected is actually kept by the pack.

However, if you make a $50 donation to the pack, then I believe that entire $50 stays with the pack. It certainly doesn't go to the manufacturer of popcorn/cookies that you wouldn't let your children eat!

So....I'd say that the club would benefit a LOT more by a cash donation directly to the club rather than the sales of the cookies/popcorn. So tell those frowners that you are not only standing up for the nutritional health of your potential customers by refusing to sell junk, but that more of your contribution goes into the individual club coffers than their net contribution from unhealthy foods. So there. :lol:

And to those who buy these products out of a sense of guilt...or a wish to help the pack, and then trash the items. Please reconsider. If their cookie/popcorn sales would drastically go down, perhaps the Powers That Be would look into WHY...and discover it's about quality. Instead of buying junk that you'll only throw away, instead write the PACK a check for the same amount you'd spend. THEY get more because they keep it all, and you don't encourage the manufacturers to continue making this junk food with the "but our customers love it, look at our sales" attitude AND you truly benefit the pack MORE with a direct donation.

Same theory as we apply when folks on this board suggest that purchases of Susan and Jessie's products be bought directly from Peace Hill Press instead of Amazon or other discounters. The ladies we love benefit more from direct sales.

I dealt with a similar issue with our 4-H club. I didn't have any input on the sale item in question as that had been decided before. What we did is just take the box we were supposed to sell, and write a cheque for the amount of the box as if we'd sold it all. The box went to the dump.

I didn't feel it was worth the battle to complain about it, and I didn't mind the donation. After the sale, though, I did say that it would be nice if we could have an option to donate the amount each child is supposed to sell, in lieu of selling the item. The group agreed. I found out I wasn't the only parent who didn't like the sale and/or the item in question.

Something to keep in mind if someone frowns at you.....if you were to sell the popcorn or cookies or whatever, the Scouts only get a tiny percentage of the money. Most of it goes to the manufacturer. I've read estimates of only 10-20% of the money collected is actually kept by the pack.

However, if you make a $50 donation to the pack, then I believe that entire $50 stays with the pack. It certainly doesn't go to the manufacturer of popcorn/cookies that you wouldn't let your children eat!

So....I'd say that the club would benefit a LOT more by a cash donation directly to the club rather than the sales of the cookies/popcorn. So tell those frowners that you are not only standing up for the nutritional health of your potential customers by refusing to sell junk, but that more of your contribution goes into the individual club coffers than their net contribution from unhealthy foods. So there. :lol:

And to those who buy these products out of a sense of guilt...or a wish to help the pack, and then trash the items. Please reconsider. If their cookie/popcorn sales would drastically go down, perhaps the Powers That Be would look into WHY...and discover it's about quality. Instead of buying junk that you'll only throw away, instead write the PACK a check for the same amount you'd spend. THEY get more because they keep it all, and you don't encourage the manufacturers to continue making this junk food with the "but our customers love it, look at our sales" attitude AND you truly benefit the pack MORE with a direct donation.

Same theory as we apply when folks on this board suggest that purchases of Susan and Jessie's products be bought directly from Peace Hill Press instead of Amazon or other discounters. The ladies we love benefit more from direct sales.

According to the popcorn website, the pack gets 70% of the sale money.

http://www.trails-end.com/estore/home_alt.jsp?_requestid=16501

Can I just say that this is pretty much the main reason ds is not involved in Scouts? Seriously. He wants to be and we think it is a great thing, but the sales stuff just halts the whole discussion. I would be more than happy to buy my way out of having to sell that stuff, but there is such pressure to be the big seller, that I'm afraid our donation would probably just count against him.

Is it a rule that all packs have to sell popcorn? Can't they do something else (service wise, perhaps) with little overhead so the $ actually goes to the pack? I think teaching the kids to be more business-minded instead of sales-oriented would be healthier. (*If I'm way off with this, let me know what I'm missing, please.)

We never sell popcorn. I think it is horrible for you, and tastes terrible. Our pack found a coffee supplier who will give the boys a pound of GOOD coffee beans for $5.00. The scouts sell them for $10.00 per pound and the other $5.00 goes in that scout's account. I love that fundraiser.

Ds is about ready to raise money for his eagle project. I'm thinking about having him sell homemade tamales over the holidays. Hmmm...I may need to figure out how he can make them without trans fats.

When I was co-leader of our GS troop, we gave parents the option of "buying out" of fundraisers. For $20 they didn't have to sell anything. There were many people who chose this option. (BTW it didn't cover cookies, as they are still reasonably easy to sell). It was better for the troop because we did get to keep the whole amount.

Now that DS is in cubs I'm going to offer this up as an option. I can't tell you how many public school parents have told me they'd much rather just write a check to a school then have to deal with endless fundraising efforts.

Ok, I did a little googling, and found two different websites with the same information.....from a $4.00 Girl Scout Cookie sale the actual PACK gets .77. Yes, seventy seven cents.

The COUNCIL however gets $2.25. So now I understand why the Powers That Be aren't in favor of cash donations to the pack instead of buying these unhealthy cookies. Money. Greed. Sadly typical.

I do understand that the Council does a lot of things for the Pack, so of course they deserve/need money too.....but .77. That's just wrong.

IMHO, if you are going to be part of the pack (meaning going to the meetings and activities) you need to sell the popcorn or make a large donation. In our pack, popcorn sales pays for everything we do for the year; no sales, no activities. If you really have a problem with the popcorn fundraiser, volunteer to be on the leadership committee and find something better.

on the form. Don't they still have this? We received an official form from the Boy Scout/Cub Scout organization and there was a military donation option along with the different types of popcorn. People could opt to give money that would go towards sending popcorn to the soldiers or their families. *Many* people chose this option. My ds always started off his sales pitch stating that he was selling popcorn and collecting donations for the military. We also printed off a paper from the official Boy Scout web-site that explained the donations. The great thing about this option for your Cub Scout is that there is no popcorn to deliver!!!

Our Cub Scout troop also gave the families an opportunity to pay the fees for the year if they didn't want to sell popcorn. No one looked down on this. It takes a lot of time to sell, and not everyone has the time to do it. I think most people understand this.

Cub Scouts is a great organization. Please don't avoid joining it because of the popcorn selling.

IMHO, if you are going to be part of the pack (meaning going to the meetings and activities) you need to sell the popcorn or make a large donation. In our pack, popcorn sales pays for everything we do for the year; no sales, no activities. If you really have a problem with the popcorn fundraiser, volunteer to be on the leadership committee and find something better.

How much popcorn do you expect your scouts to sell? We pay yearly fees for scouts here. The popcorn money goes to each scout for camp and uniforms, etc.

How much popcorn do you expect your scouts to sell? We pay yearly fees for scouts here. The popcorn money goes to each scout for camp and uniforms, etc.

Our annual fee is $35 and I think the Pack only get $15 of that; the rest goes to the council and for the magazine. I believe our goal is around $500-$700. Some boys do a lot less and some do a lot more. We have big prizes for the top 3 sellers (last year it was a donated airplane ride) and our popcorn chairperson does a great job with daily incentives (small prizes if you sell xx amount on this certain day). We really push popcorn sales and we make a lot of money because everyone knows that it is the only fundraiser they have to do.

I do wish it wasn't at the beginning of the year. I feel bad for the new families who come to the first meeting and immediatly get the job of selling popcorn.

Our girl scouts only get .35 cents per box, The rest goes to council. Boy Scouts get a much higher percentage. My son has been in scouts going on 7 yrs. and has never sold a bag of popcorn. In our pack and in his troop, they sold greenery for Christmas (wreaths, etc) and we got about 35% or more of the sales. So, NO, you don't have to sell popcorn. Just make sure your pack makes a donation to council (like for FOS) to give back. Talk to your leaders about doing something other than popcorn- it's ok!

Another issue is the missing chocolate. DS has people who order only chocolate.. even had one lady call us looking for a scout to order chocolate from b/c she wants it every year at Christmas. We haven't gone by her house, but she is going to be very unhappy.

We have the chocolate popcorn here in Louisiana. I would be very disappointed if we didn't have it too. If you need some, I can ship it to you. ;)

Our annual fee is $35 and I think the Pack only get $15 of that; the rest goes to the council and for the magazine. I believe our goal is around $500-$700. Some boys do a lot less and some do a lot more. We have big prizes for the top 3 sellers (last year it was a donated airplane ride) and our popcorn chairperson does a great job with daily incentives (small prizes if you sell xx amount on this certain day). We really push popcorn sales and we make a lot of money because everyone knows that it is the only fundraiser they have to do.

I do wish it wasn't at the beginning of the year. I feel bad for the new families who come to the first meeting and immediatly get the job of selling popcorn.

Interesting. Ours is set up very differently. We do have much higher troop fees. I think that is to make it fair for those that don't sell or sell as much popcorn. We have other fundraisers that we participate and a bunch of community service projects.

Some families love to sell popcorn and they benefit directly from it. Our troop is flush with money and we offer scholarships. The great thing about fundraisers is if you can't afford scout fees, summer camp, a uniform, or tent etc. then the money you raise from popcorn will cover it. You just have to sell enough.

Edited by True Blue

According to the popcorn website, the pack gets 70% of the sale money.

http://www.trails-end.com/estore/home_alt.jsp?_requestid=16501

I believe it's 70% goes to local scouting meaning about 35% goes to the local council and 35% goes to the pack/troop. At least that's how it works here. I know our troop actually puts 30% of each boys sales in their own little troop account to help pay for camps/activities that have fees and the troop keeps 5% for general troop stuff.

Yeah, a pp was right that GS only get $.35 per box. What was frustrating last year was that they came out with a crummy low-fat kind that we ordered not knowing it would be crummy, then they wouldn't let us return it. We had to use donation money to pay for those and then donated the paid for cases to Operation Cookie for the troops. The troops (meaning soldiers overseas) really like Thin Mints and peanut butter, but what could we do.

Something that was VERY helpful for us was to have a jar, we used a plasic bear shaped jar from animal crackers, and asked people for spare change when they couldn't buy cookies. We'd kind of rattle it at them as they walked by and it was irresitable!!! You would be AMAZED how quickly that adds up. Pure profit into the troop's account!

Our Boy Scout did well last year selling with other scouts in front of a grocery store. He sold $2,500 worth of popcorn or donations. Every hour the scouts who are selling in front of the store split what is sold. (There is a scout leader who oversees this.) The cool thing about reaching that $2,500 amount is that from now on as long as he is in scouts, 6% of his sales will go into a college fund. It isn't much, but it is something! In addition to that, he earned money to go into his scout account to pay for the dues and campouts. I hate asking people to participate in fundraisers, but I think the Boy Scouts have a great fundraiser that benefits the troop and the scout.

No, the our scout council gets 70% of the popcorn $$ (we have 5 in our state). They use the 70% to pay for insurance for region, we buy pins/badges/rewards, it helps pay for some camping expenses, and some of the summer outings the boys take. (my experience is with the cubs).

70% stays basically local. That is much better!

Plus, it is a fabulous teaching tool for young boys to put their hand out, shake hands & learn to be a salesman! It can be a great teaching tool and leadership development opportunity. Tossing a $20 to the kid doesn't do that.... don't give the kid a donation... give it to the leaders/pack.... buy a $10 tin from the kid & make him EARN it by telling you about his pack & the products.;)

Our fees are higher for those who do not sell any popcorn... but you do no thave to sell. I think some of the money also helps finance scholarships for very poor families to have a son in scouting.

Also, the cubs set goals, pick a prize they want to earn, and work toward that goal. Another great lesson opportunity. Our Scouts do not get prizes but get money to help pay for camping fees, etc. For a family with limited resources, this is a great way for the boy to earn his money to pay for his trips, etc.

We also save a bit buy buying our own prizes & not buying those from the national scouts that kids get in a brochure. We cut back a bit by doing this & we keep the prizes about camping & outdoors, etc.

Edited by Dirtroad

No, the our scout council gets 70% of the popcorn $$ (we have 5 in our state). They use the 70% to pay for insurance for region, we buy pins/badges/rewards, it helps pay for some camping expenses, and some of the summer outings the boys take. (my experience is with the cubs).

70% stays basically local. That is much better!

Plus, it is a fabulous teaching tool for young boys to put their hand out, shake hands & learn to be a salesman! It can be a great teaching tool and leadership development opportunity. Tossing a $20 to the kid doesn't do that.... don't give the kid a donation... give it to the leaders/pack.... buy a $10 tin from the kid & make him EARN it by telling you about his pack & the products.;)

Our fees are higher for those who do not sell any popcorn... but you do no thave to sell. I think some of the money also helps finance scholarships for very poor families to have a son in scouting.

Also, the cubs set goals, pick a prize they want to earn, and work toward that goal. Another great lesson opportunity. Our Scouts do not get prizes but get money to help pay for camping fees, etc. For a family with limited resources, this is a great way for the boy to earn his money to pay for his trips, etc.

We also save a bit buy buying our own prizes & not buying those from the national scouts that kids get in a brochure. We cut back a bit by doing this & we keep the prizes about camping & outdoors, etc.

Have you seen the $10 plastic bucket that is the cheapest option? It is absolutely ridiculous! When my ds saw the bucket, he is now embarrassed to deliver that to the people who ordered from him. He's trying to think of something else to deliver with the popcorn to make it worth their $10.

Our troop doesn't have the Cubs sell anything. That may be different at the Boy Scout level, but nothing for the Cubs. I really appreciate it. The other local pack has the cubs sell wreaths at Christmas time and we always buy one from our neighbor. No one has sold popcorn that I recall.

I don't mind the Scouts selling when its our neighborhood or friends' kids. I did get a bit irritated when an acquaintance with a kid in the public schools asked me to buy gift wrap for her daughter's class fundraiser. She didn't even bother having the kid ask, just gave me the order form (as I was dropping off her son after taking him to Chuck E Cheese, also on my dime). Can you say tacky?? Apparently it didn't occur to her that I am already supporting her kids' school with my tax money LOL!!

I may step on some toes here...

While I really understand about the popcorn's nutrition lacking, the main purpose is to support Scouting. My husband is committee chairman of our Pack, and I am secretary for our Troop. Yes - we are all busy. But - you know, being in a Pack or Troop costs money. Those pins/badges/awards/activity fees/camping fees (troop level), etc. aren't supplied to the pack or troop for free.

We work hard to support our group, and it is always frustrating when we have many boys who "just don't have time" to help out. Frequently those are the same families who gripe the loudest when we have to do an additional fundraiser in the spring because the pack didn't earn enough from popcorn sales.

If your pack is good with a donation large enough to cover what would have their popcorn share - go for it! I think that is a great option!

But please don't expect the pack to pick up the extra weight for families who just choose not to participate at all.

Sorry for venting - this is a very hot topic for us.

While I really understand about the popcorn's nutrition lacking, the main purpose is to support Scouting. My husband is committee chairman of our Pack, and I am secretary for our Troop. Yes - we are all busy. But - you know, being in a Pack or Troop costs money. Those pins/badges/awards/activity fees/camping fees (troop level), etc. aren't supplied to the pack or troop for free.

We work hard to support our group, and it is always frustrating when we have many boys who "just don't have time" to help out. Frequently those are the same families who gripe the loudest when we have to do an additional fundraiser in the spring because the pack didn't earn enough from popcorn sales.

If your pack is good with a donation large enough to cover what would have their popcorn share - go for it! I think that is a great option!

But please don't expect the pack to pick up the help extra weight for families who just choose not to participate at all.

I agree with you, but I still hate popcorn. We will do anything to help the pack/troop and my ds is still selling popcorn (just hates it not being worth anywhere near what you pay for it.)

I would actually prefer to do other fundraisers and I am currently trying to figure out some other ideas (and yes, I am willing to organize it.)

I'm also not a huge fan of the popcorn. I'm much more of the make 'em work frame of mind with activities like car washes. I don't think that the pack would object to your offer to just donate the amount that the pack would earn from sales.

It is worth keeping in mind, though that the council also gets a percentage of sales. The councils don't get to keep any of the national registration fee. Profits from popcorn sales, coupon book sales and Friends of Scouting (FOS) is how they pay for camp improvements, paid staff, facilities overhead, etc. So a district may be helping packs set goals because they know that this is also how the council raises support. If everyone moved away from the sales to direct support of the pack or to pack specific fund raisers, there would probably be a following greater emphasis on FOS donations from the units. If you made a donation to the pack and an FOS donation, I think everyone involved would be thrilled.

I am worried this will be frowned upon. I have been worried about this ever since I considered the idea of Cubs for our older son. But even if the frowning happens, I guess this is just some discrimination we will have to grit through. The pack goal is $600 sales/cub.(!)

Any helpful ideas? (I have been seriously worried about this. We are fine with donating money or selling something else. Have I already mentioned this?? See I fret over this.) Being a Tiger Cub is so impt to my son (he's 5). He is really into it and I don't want to see him hurt.

Have the leaders done something previously that leads you to believe that they will "discriminate" against a boy who donates money instead of selling popcorn? That seems like a big leap without a previous history, so I wouldn't worry so much about that.

You need to do what is right for your family. It would be a poor example to your son to say, "We belive this, but we won't act because we are worried about what people might think." I can't imagine they will mind if you donate a similar amount of support. As long as you don't make it very public within the pack (rallying the other parents against the sale,) I can't see why it would be a problem.

Our Boy Scout did well last year selling with other scouts in front of a grocery store. He sold $2,500 worth of popcorn or donations. Every hour the scouts who are selling in front of the store split what is sold. (There is a scout leader who oversees this.) The cool thing about reaching that $2,500 amount is that from now on as long as he is in scouts, 6% of his sales will go into a college fund. It isn't much, but it is something! In addition to that, he earned money to go into his scout account to pay for the dues and campouts. I hate asking people to participate in fundraisers, but I think the Boy Scouts have a great fundraiser that benefits the troop and the scout.

Was this $2500 after the split or was it what all the boys sold in total.

I think you mean after the split and if you do, my jaw is on the ground!

While I really understand about the popcorn's nutrition lacking, the main purpose is to support Scouting. <snip> We work hard to support our group, and it is always frustrating when we have many boys who "just don't have time" to help out. Frequently those are the same families who gripe the loudest when we have to do an additional fundraiser in the spring because the pack didn't earn enough from popcorn sales.

:iagree:

As a girl scout leader, I must agree.

This is one reason why our pack charges $100 for the year (which does not include a uniform or a pack tshirt). The fees are set up so that everything is paid for. I really like the way the fee sheet was laid out. It itemized things so that parents could see what when to National Registration, what when to district Fair Share (not all councils do this), and what the pack fees paid for (derby kits, advancements, den dues).

Fundraising covers things like campout, decorations at Blue and Gold Banquet, printing costs, etc.

I am in total agreement that scouts isn't a cost free program to run. But we also started out in a council that didn't do popcorn. We had a council wide bowl-a-thon instead. I liked it a whole lot better.

I agree with you, but I still hate popcorn. We will do anything to help the pack/troop and my ds is still selling popcorn (just hates it not being worth anywhere near what you pay for it.)

I would actually prefer to do other fundraisers and I am currently trying to figure out some other ideas (and yes, I am willing to organize it.)

Our cub scout pack has a bake sale each Fall and Spring. We typically raise about $800 at each bake sale. Each family provides 4 baked items.

Our pack does not pay for uniforms or camping. For pack camping, we get 6 - 10 campsites and that cost is divided evenly between the participating families. The pack does not provide the food - each family brings something. For Mom & Me and Dad & Lad, each family pays their own way.

Our pack provides the following for each scout that comes from funds raised over the year:

membership fee - ours is only $12 per scout

awards/pins/badges earned

boats for Raingutter Regata

cars for Pinewood Derby

supplies needed for various events (table coverings/plates/cups)

We stopped scouts several years ago because of cost.

We were 5 and 10 + dollared every time we blinked. And that was in addition to fundraising. We just couldn't afford it. And it was very frustrating to hear at every meeting about something else we likely couldn't afford.

I would prefer a list of activities or expenses for the year and approx cost of each up front. If we can pay then we will. If we can't then we know up front what we need to raise funds for or accept that we won't be able to participate in. As it was we felt all we ever did was open our wallet.

I know there are costs involved. No problem. But the vague way it Was handled and the constant push for sales were the main reasons we stopped.

Have you seen the $10 plastic bucket that is the cheapest option? It is absolutely ridiculous! When my ds saw the bucket, he is now embarrassed to deliver that to the people who ordered from him. He's trying to think of something else to deliver with the popcorn to make it worth their $10.

They aren't buying $10 in popcorn. They are buying $3 in popcorn. That is how we sell it. Most folks who buy the $10 option are just supporting the scouts and really don't care about the popcorn. It is often used as gifts for teachers, mailman, etc. Gestures of kindness type gifts.

The Microwave folks are pickier buyers. They are buying it for themselves & whine the most. Still he reminds them of the 70% support. It is all he can do with them. Some of the boys buy microwave corn & break it open... they sell it for $1.00 per pack at church & school. Good way to get a few extra sales for those who freak out over $10.

He always reminds them of the 70% being for his council.

Our troop doesn't have the Cubs sell anything. That may be different at the Boy Scout level, but nothing for the Cubs. I really appreciate it. The other local pack has the cubs sell wreaths at Christmas time and we always buy one from our neighbor. No one has sold popcorn that I recall.

I don't mind the Scouts selling when its our neighborhood or friends' kids. I did get a bit irritated when an acquaintance with a kid in the public schools asked me to buy gift wrap for her daughter's class fundraiser. She didn't even bother having the kid ask, just gave me the order form (as I was dropping off her son after taking him to Chuck E Cheese, also on my dime). Can you say tacky?? Apparently it didn't occur to her that I am already supporting her kids' school with my tax money LOL!!

The good thing about CUBS selling is that they are more assertive & eager to try it than Boys. Also, they get prizes that are fun and motivating. I see many Boy Scouts who just expect parents to pay for all their fees & they are really lazy about their sales goals.

Doesn't the parent soliciting beat all! I refuse to buy from a parent. That defeats any teaching/learning from the sales and continues our cultural concept of getting "little Johnny" to the top regardless of HIS effort.

But please don't expect the pack to pick up the extra weight for families who just choose not to participate at all. Sorry for venting - this is a very hot topic for us.

I agree & understand. I am the "popcorn kernel" and pack secretary. You learn alot when you get involved. About 1/2 our families don't participate & yes, many of the are the loudest to protest.... or are the ones who barely particpate at all. I hate to see a KID eager to join, participate & come to meetings and the parent is so half hearted... it destroys the kids enthusiam and spirit ot enjoy it all.

We even have some parents steal the money. Lost about $225 last year to parental theft. Our sales profit has to pay for that loss.

We stopped scouts several years ago because of cost.

We were 5 and 10 + dollared every time we blinked. And that was in addition to fundraising. We just couldn't afford it. And it was very frustrating to hear at every meeting about something else we likely couldn't afford.

Did you ask about scholarships? My son is very active. We can't attend all cub event at camping sites b/c of fees. We try to do 1 or 2. Last year, DH lost his job for many months. The pack allowed my son (very active & loves his pack/den) to apply for a scholarship for this years fee. It was approved & a great help. We are pushing popcorn hard this year b/c it really makes a difference.

That is what fund raisers help with. If he really enjoyed it, please ask about scholarships and aid.;)

BTW... someone mentioned bake sales... smokes! I can't see any of our Mama's making stuff. They don' t even want to come to meetings one night per month... or send candy for the parties. It is sad but so many treat scouts like schools, daycare, etc... keep my kids happy & I will be back at 8pm to pick them up... need help? NO WAY.:lol:

Edited by Dirtroad

I didn't like selling popcorn. It was product I personally did not care for (and I tried them all). It's not just a transfat issue. I think the popcorn is really gross, and I am a popcorn lover.

I didn't think it was anything close to getting value for the money, and I am not comfortable asking people to support my children doing activities. If I want my children to do activities, I will pay for it rather than ask someone else to pay for it by purchasing a gross product that they don't really want. When my kids are old enough to actually be responsible for costs themselves, then I want them to sell something people actually want that is actually a value for the dollar. So I am fine with kids offering pet sitting, lawn work. car washes. I personally don't care for the idea of having kids sell products like this.

So yes, you can make a donation. We always did.

The other option that worked for us a bit was that our region at least had a "support the troops" type option. The manufacturer agreed to ship order directly to American troops abroad. So a few times my children did invite people to buy some popcorn that would go to those serving our country, and it seemed like people were actually happy to do that.

Even so, I hate the whole "sales" gig. I really do love scouting and have donated at the individual pack and the regional level, but I won't buy the popcorn because I don't want to encourage them, lol.

I'm glad to hear that the boy scouts appear to get a better percentage of the money than the girl scouts do!

But why with all the items available for fundraising must it be something nutritionally horrible? It's not just that it's lacking nutrition, I can handle that, it's that there is overwhelming proof that trans fat are DANGEROUS to your body.....and no one that I've ever seen saying the opposite. It's not a matter of each family choosing what they will or won't eat (after all this board has vegans, vegetarians, carnviore, and everything in between....but I doubt that anyone here says "hmmm, think I'll go find a nice high trans fat food to serve at dinner tonight!).

I will not purchase this type of item to support any organization. Period. And if my child were asked to sell it, I'd flat out refuse to allow it. Yes, I agree with the person who posted about the character building opportunities when having to go outside most children's comfort zone and knock on doors and ask friends and family to purchase....BUT...I would NOT want my child selling a product that we can't believe in.....integrity is a much more important character trait to my family than salesmanship. And now that others are posting about being embarassed by the low quality of the smallest item (one poster was talking about the son wanting to add something to it to make it look more worth the cost!!!)....well, I too would have a problem with that. Makes my imagination conjer up the smarmy used car salesmen stereotype.

How about raising money by working for it? We belong to a group that raised over $20K last year (and there are less than 30 kids that regularly attend) by the kids hiring themselves out. They babysit, mow lawns, help in offices (filing, typing, packing/unpacking, etc), tutor, clean houses, clean pools, one girl even cooks dinners and delivers them to her neighbors (with mom supervising of course), and a host of other things they come up with....or are asked to do. Think of the character building that happens there! Not only selling your services, but then having to follow through and do the work, and do a good enough job that word of mouth advertising keeps you busy. The kids aren't required to do any minimum....but they get points for the money earned and their points go towards paying for, or supplementing, their share of the various activities and trips that we do. Not a single kid in the group fails to do any work. They often will get together and do things together (hmmm, more character building via team work) so that they can get the work done faster and then they share the points. It's more fun to them and they still up with lots of points because they'll work 2 or 3 jobs together instead of each doing just 1.

We also sell submarine sandwiches on Super Bowl Sunday and World Series day. We make them ourselves (Walmart generously donates the bread rolls and discounts the meats/cheese for us). We pick up the food the day before, then have a sleep over that night, getting up very early to assembly style build the sandwiches that morning. Most people opt to pick up the sandwiches, but a few pay us extra to deliver....and parents do the delivery while they take their children home.

Our town has a festival every May and we have a food booth. We rent the booth and equipment and the kids do all the work (parents supervise) and get points based on hours worked. We make several thousand dollars each year with this one day event. The kids vote each year on what to sell (you have to apply in October and they only allow one of each type of food vendor, so we submit our application with our top 3 choices). We've sold cotton candy (oh heavens was that a mess!), hot dogs, slushies, baked goods (the kids spent the week before the event getting together and various houses and baking), and our very best seller was chicken wings!

There are a lot of ways to make money as a group....and frankly, the more the merrier as some of it is a lot of work and more hands make it more fun.....so the scouts would seemingly have it easier than our small group. Plus, the scouts are a recognized organization....might bring people to their booth, or event, simply because of that....we're pretty much unknown outside our community.

Our family tithes not only to our church but we have a donation fund that we budget for so that we can make donations or purchase overpriced items when the cause is worthy. But I will never purchase something that we don't believe in. That does not in any way mean that we don't support those organizations....but make it something worthwhile to purchase and you may find you'll make even more money because people like my family who are not willing to buy things we can't condone would be able to help and feel good about it too.

I read about someone selling wreaths....that sounds very cool. We buy a fresh wreath each year from the Christmas Tree lot because we use an artificial tree and the wreath and garlands give us the scent. I'd buy it from an organization if there were one here in town.

But please don't expect the pack to pick up the extra weight for families who just choose not to participate at all.

I completely agree with you! This is my first year as the Popcorn Kernal and I was shocked when I was given a copy of the budget that shows how much the popcorn sales cover for our troop. We sent 5 boys to KMSR last year on scholarship from popcorn sales, that's over $1500, and those boys probably would not have been able to attend otherwise. Also, every other event that we do has scholarships available from the popcorn money. In addition the money covers badges, achievements, parties, insurance, Boys' Life magazine subscriptionsand a host of other things.

This is once a year for about five weeks. Go out for 20 minutes everyday and you will be amazed at what you can sell.