Menu

What have been hits and misses this year at your house?

KristineIN

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SOTW 4 was a miss and switching over to Canadian history has been great. It's a hit! Other than that I feel everything is going well. We had a GREAT day today and everyone thought doing a nature study (which we've just started) was "So much FUN!!"

MUS Alpha was a flop for us. Spelling Workout was a flop also. Just about everything else - ToG Ancients, Life Science ala WTM, music history with living books and listening to the music, artist study same way as music, have all been a hit. Oh, we're using the Body Book from Teacher Created Resources right now to go with our human body study, that's been a big hit. As dd says, "I think that inside our bodies are gross, but amazing." :D

:)

Melissa

:)Hits:

Lively Latin

The Elements: Ingredients of the Universe

Story of the World 1

Singapore Challenging Word Problems 2

Singapore Start Up Science 3

Handwriting w/o Tears

Apples Spelling

Building Thinking Skills 2

ALEKS Math

Key to Fractions, Decimals

MUS Gamma & Zeta

:(Misses:

Journey Through Grammar Land

:rolleyes:Can be in either catagory, depending on Mom's prep work:

Tapestry of Grace Yr 1

Tapestry of Grace's Writing Aids

Overall, it has a been a pretty good year! ;)

Hits:

Teaching Company's Books that Made History, Books that Will Change your Life. We have been using portions of this for my 8th grader's literature studies. I am learning so much as he is.

WriteGuide online writing tutor. This has been expensive but worth EVERY penny. My son completed a few fantasic essays as well as prepped for the SAT essay section.

Miss:

Real Science 4 Kids Chemistry Pre-level and Level 1

They took a fantastically whiz bangingly fun subject to explore and turned it into drudgery. Long drawn out experiments and excruciatingly rigorous writing. My goal is to help my kids love chemistry while learning something. This is not working.

Definite hit: CW Poetry for Beginners A (big surprise for all of us); Elementary Apologia Zoology I & II

Nothing has been a flop this year. I have been disappointed with our logic stage history sequence, but that's just because I don't want something as intensive as TOG, but a little more meaty than SOTW. I really like the series by Nothing New Press, but it won't fit nicely into the 4-year cycle that we're on.

Hits: R&S Math, Pathway Readers, LLATL Blue, ETC, FIAR

Misses: SOTW1 (for now, the kids like to listen, but don't retain anything), Calvert 1 reading, Bob books Level 2 (Level 1 was great)

Good but not greats: SL Cores A, B, C (kids like the books but these levels are disjointed), Queen Language Lessons for Little Ones (great picture studies and poetry, copywork and phonics are underwhelming)

:( Misses :(

- LetteroftheWeek.com preparatory curriculum for preschool

reasons: library was not delivering books in timely fashion, too much prep time for the time spent doing. I did realize that I want to pick the books we read and that following a curriculum that says read THIS book isn't for me which probably saved me from jumping on the BFIAR/FIAR bandwagon.

- First Language Lessons Level 2

reasons: I got bored and felt it wasn't providing enough practice

- Skill Drill Grammar workbook

reasons: too much practice, became busywork without clear instruction

- Copywork Grammar

reasons: Tried to use our copywork to teach punctuation and grammar but realized our copywork was over dd's head (my fault)

- Mailboxes Grammar, Mechanics and Usage Grades 1-2

reasons: I felt there had to be a better way to naturally address this area of study, can you tell I had problems this year? Dd liked the workbook but it still wasn't a "great" fit for us.

- SOTW Volume 2

reasons: I tried too hard to make SOTW something we could really enjoy (with church history alongside and using our own books), I realized quickly it is a book that we'd have to just read without other books or pick other books because we didn't want to spend so much time on history. We ultimately picked other books and switched to Tapestry of Grace and changed the focus of our lessons to more language arts.

Spelling Workout by Modern Curriculum Press

reasons: I finally opened my eyes and realized dd was spending too much time on activities that really weren't helping her learn to spell. After fighting the thought that the workbook was busywork with tons of justifications, I researched how to learn to spell and which ways were the most effective and Spelling Workout didn't fit the bill at all. We dropped spelling instruction for 2nd grade.

Doing our own French smorgasbord curriculum

Too much prep

:D Hits :D

Tapestry of Grace

reasons: We've found a home in TOG, this is what was missing from using SOTW and we're loving it. We're in our 10th week of using it and although I'm still figuring out the logistics of how "we" want to use it- we've been able to focus on language arts and build dd's reading skills in just 10 weeks!

Primary Language Lessons by Emma Serl, updated by Margot Davidson

reasons: FINALLY! A language arts solution that fits us, we love PLL with its variety and we're applying more Charlotte Mason principles to our homeschool as I read through The Original Homeschooling Series. We are bored no more!

Explode the Code books 5-8 with Teacher's Guides

Fabulous! These have been very instrumental in helping dd's reading ability and fluency. She just finished book 5 and she's reading with more confidence and accuracy than 10 weeks ago. We're thrilled. Dropping spelling (until 3rd) has been helpful too.

Ăƒâ€°coutez, Parlez! French Oral Program

3 weeks and still going, it's been great.

HITS (really enjoyed by the boys):

- Literary Lessons from the Lord of the Rings (year-long study guide)

- reading/discussing Great Books together, along the lines of TWTM

(abridged version of Gilgamesh, and Fagles translations of The Iliad and The Odyssey all a hit so far!)

- Thinking Toolbox (though, last year's Fallacy Detective was better)

HELPS (items working extremely well for us, even if no one begs for it -- lol):

- Megawords !!!

- Garlic Press publishers study guide for The Odyssey

- MUS Pre-Algebra

- Jacobs Geometry

- Jump In (Apologia's new writing program)

MISSES:

- Analytical Grammar (very "workbooky" and dry after Winston Grammar)

- Total Health -- BUT ONLY because *I* couldn't figure out how to work it in time-wise!! Very worthwhile; we'll try to get it in NEXT year...

Hits: Biblioplan, FLL 3, Spelling Power, Growing with Grammar, Latin's Not So Tough, Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons, OPGTR

Misses: Latin For Children, Writing Strands

I love it!!! :D/I hate it!!! :eek: : Classical Writing. It's wonderfully indepth. It ties our LA into a whole. It challenges my LA gifted child. It strengthens my LA challenged child while giving him confidence. It drives me CRAZY! lol.

Hits:

Lively Latin

Simply Spelling

Growing with Grammar

SOTW I

Explode the Code

Horizons Math

Singapore Math

Alpha-Phonics

IEW Poetry

VP History Cards

Misses:

Living Learning Earth Science (blah)

Singapore Science My Pals Are Here (zzzzzzzzzzzz)

Spelling Workout (everything that's wrong with spelling instruction!)

Mammoth Math

Writing Tales (overlapped giving us too much grammar, writing, etc...) * Not the curriculum's fault, but the planner's. :)

Hits:

Classical Writing Homer--we finished Book A. Woohoo!

Famous Men series, Truthquest History, VP History Cards,

Latina Christiana 1 & 2, Minimus and Cambridge Latin for Reading practice,

Simply Spelling,

Calculadders, Rightstart Math Games (I FINALLY started playing them; they're great!)

Daily Recitation, Picture Study, Composer Study, IEW Poetry

French Prep

Misses:

Show Me Thy Ways Bible curriculum. It was just way too theologically heavy for these ages. We dropped it and switched to reading through the Bible chronologically with the Victor's Journey through the Bible. That's a hit!

Hits -

Lively Latin

Latin Prep :D

PH Science Explorers

Plato's CyberED

My World Science

NEM 1 (never would have guessed)

GWG

CW Homer

Misses

History Odyssy (Level One)... (Level Two) is better but not a hit.

LLB Earth Science

About 1/3 of the SL Readers for Core 6 (She thought they were too easy/same story over and over? Boring?) Ugh...

Hits:

MUS

EPS Writing Skills (FINALLY found the hand-holding program we needed)

Hakim's History of US

Prentice Hall's Life Science

Sequential Spelling

Misses:

Vocabulary Cartoons (love the concept but first book was too easy for the age-range marketed, we're going to try one of the SAT prep Vocab Cartoons books)

Outsourced art class (teacher canceled more classes than she held)

Hits:

Star-Spangled State Book and Workbook

CLE Math

CLE Lang Arts

ABeka Science

BJ Writing

Misses:

BJ Reading

Jump In Writing

Studying God's Word Bible

How to Teach Art to Children

I'm still going round and round on which writing program I'm going to use. Jump In is in the consideration, in fact, it's in my possession. I'd love to hear why it didn't work for your DC.

Michelle T

Hits: Key to Fractions (we are supplementing Singapore), IEW Level A, Megawords for both kids, Typing Instructor, Education Exploration Science

Misses: Time Traveler's American Revolution (I LOVED IT, they didn't. Begged to go back to SOTW Q&A and narrations). You just don't mix your crafts with school in this house!!

Here are ours for 2nd, 3rd and 5th grade:

Hits:

BJU homesat (english, handwriting, science and math 6) - yeah!!! My children are working more independently so I actually have the time to review their work this year.

RightStart math - I love how this program teaches math strategies. I have three adopted children and they are all strong in math.

Pathway Readers - I love these sweet stories. My younger kids still read out loud to me 20 minutes a day and I never mind hearing these stories again.

Misses:

MFW ECC - I am having a hard time switching countries every couple of weeks, collecting and returning library books and photocopying worksheets. We are only on week 12 out of 36 - oh, no!

Wordly Wise 3000 book 5 - My 5th grader hates this book. We stopped after lesson 5. Might try again next year.

Hope that helps someone.

Misses: Saxon Math 5/4

Wordly Wise 2nd edition book 3

Apples and Pears Spelling book B

Writing Skills book A

Beginning Outlining-finished it.They didn't get much out of it.

MindBenders Beginning

Hits: All About Spelling

SOTW 2

our scripture program

StartWrite-LOVE this!

R&S math

Hits:

SOTW as a spine

Singapore Math, Gelfand's Algebra, MUS (before Pre-Algebra)

R&S English

The Phonics of Drawing (from Masterpiece Art Instruction)

Misses:

Spelling Workout

Saxon Math 1

English for the Thoughtful Child

Jacob's Algebra

Teaching Textbook

Writing Strands

There are other things we like, but by hits I mean not only do they work well, but my dc like them better than any other things we've done in those subjects.

Hits...

Right Start Math

All About Spelling

Nature Study

ETC Primers

Language Lessons for the Very Young

Swimming Lessons

Kiddie Records.com

Thorton Burgess Books

Storytime with the Millers

Chess Club...until it started "going south"

Budding Biologist...Biology Club at the local Parks and Rec Nature Center

Misses...

Christian Kids Explore Biology

Saxon 1

SWO

The boys also enjoyed listening to Dad read The Hobbit...again! :)

MUS Alpha about sent my child back to school. While he enjoyed Primer, he absolutely did not connect with Alpha and after considering dropping it 3 times this year.....I DROPPED IT THIS WEEK, whoo hoo!!! :D

So bad: MUS Alpha. we are switching both kids out of MUS...sorry Primer!

Good: EasyClassical science schedule grade 1. I needed a schedule to follow for science to get it done this year. I have enjoyed their choices of spines and activities. It gave me confidence to get it done. Enough that I have put together my own thing next year...very close their own schedule ;)

Good: ETC. As always, this is the one thing the kids still love and do without complaint.

Good find: Memoria Press Copybook. It was the first 3 line handwriting my son had done since HWT and he enjoyed the bible verses and I liked the fact he had to draw a picture to go with each verse....he rarely does art stuff and this forced him to think about it and express the bible verse through art. And he enjoyed it!

I love reading everyone's lists!!

for grade 4, hits:

L'Art de Lire French

Math Mammoth worksheets

Trail Guide to World Geography

Usborne internet-linked science books

weekly craft and drama club

daily memory work for French and math drill

grade 4 misses:

bookstore workbooks for math practice

Writing Strands

for grade 8, hits:

Latin Prep (wow, we love this)

Trail Guide to World Geography

First Lego League robotics

the jury is still out on:

BraveWriter - Writer's Jungle and monthly dictation program

Singapore NSM math

monthly research club with friends

grade 8 misses:

ALEKS math (got boring, not enough practice)

Writing Strands

Nikita

Hits:

Abeka 3rd grade history (all biographical sketches) - Boy, were we surprised.

American Pioneer and Patriots

Rod and Staff English

Rod and Staff Science - another surprise

ETC

First Reader

Reason for Handwriting

Blah:

MFW: Adventures

Abeka Letters & Sounds K5

Horrible - Couldn't run away fast enough:

Spanish on United Streaming

Exploring American History

Hits:

ambleside read alouds:)

Rightstart B Math 4 8 yo son...I don't like teaching it, but son likes it.

Saxon Math...had dropped it but son needs extra drill so he's doing that along with rightstart

Dictation for spelling...going good

Rightstart Kindegarten Level A for my youngest son...we really like it.

Handbook of Nature Study~wish we had used this b4...great book. Love the details and beautiful little poems.

Rod and Staff English 3~son likes it.

Miss:

SWR...we ended up just using the SWR Bingo and flashcards...2 difficult for me to learn..just simple dictation and copywork is working out better for us.

sherylwinter

We are using the whole Calvert curriculum for grades 3 and 4 ( and 5th grade math ) .

Here are our hits and misses with the curriculum :

Hits :

Gods of Greece . My girls loved this .

Child's History of the World . Surprisingly we really like it after reading alot of not so great reviews .

Abeka 3rd grade Grammar

Abeka 4th grade Grammar

The 4th grade Geography course

and 3rd grade geography course

4th grade reading ( Robinson Crusoe , Mighty Men , Island of the Blue Dolphins and Famous Legends )

Scott Foresman Spelling

Misses :

Calvert math . Yuck it is the worst fit even for my oldest who is great with math . We used Bob Jones and she did so well . My 8yr old cries and thinks she's stupid, we used Saxon and she did great ! I just have to burn it or get rid of it . Out of all the other math programs we'ved used this is the one that makes me want to cry . I'm looking at trying Christian Light as its like Saxon but in workbook form .

Calvert grammar .. just not enough practice at all . Had to replace it with Abeka's grammar . It introduces the same topics with better explanations .

Calvert's writing program . I personally don't like it at all . Doesn't give the parent enough explanation on how to teach writing at all . It just expects them how to write through osmosis in the 1st grade . I can't seem to find a good/inexpensive writing program. If anyone out there can recommend a good writing program for a 3rd and 4th grader that takes you step by step .... please share !

Wish I could use IEW but its WAY out of our budget .

Kumon workbooks . I thought we would like these for my preschooler . She's not impressed and I think they are just too busy looking for us . My daughter loves the black and white so she can color in things . Going to get Rod and Staff ABC series for her instead .

In between :

Calvert's 3rd grade reading . We like it but not. The stories are a bit dryer then the 1st and 2nd grade . But we are alright with it .

This is my 2nd time teaching Calvert 3rd grade and just cannot get into it . I do like their 4th grade better though . I think we are definitley going to change approach for next year .

For ds age 9

hits

Growing with Grammar

Evan Moors Write a Super Sentence

Spelling Workout

SOTW2

misses

Writing strands

FLL3

SL Science 1

Ok for a while but needed something different:

Horizons 3

Not sure yet:

TT5, it's looking good, he's enjoying it and doing well, but we'll see in the long run

For dd age 6

hits

Click n kids phonics

Nora Gaydos readers level 1

Saxon math 1

SOTW2

misses

Horizons K

Spelling Workout

SL Science 1

Ok for a while but needed something different

ETC, she did ok so far in book 1 but want's more colorful things

I guess it just goes to show that when they say what works for one it may not work for another is so true. My ds loves Spelling Workout my dd was trying level A and can't stand it. Oh well

Hits:

All the RA's like Little House series, Wizard of Oz, Vos story Bible

ETC Primers- they just love those things

Phonics Pathways- we have been going very slowly (we're on p 40), but I like the sequential building of concepts and skills

Bobs Books- my ds can read these independently to dh!

science: I founded a small 5-family co-op with ladies I just adore. We get together weekly, and I so love the relationships that are developing among the children and the mommies. Plus we did some cool stuff and went on some cool field trips.

Things that could have gone better:

math, especially for my dd, because I expected too much of her and frustrated both of us unecessarily

handwriting, because I have waited too long to start my ds on some sort of sequential, regular practice. He's so done with wipe-off books. I went ahead and ordered StartWrite...I was planning to wait until the fall, but he needs it now.

art- OK- I am the worst mother in the world...my dc hardly know how to hold a pair of scissors! I just don't enjoy that kind of artsy/crafty stuff myself. We did go to the local craft store 2-3 times a month to do their craft. Next year, we're signing up for art classes!

So, truly a mixed bag for us! Live and Learn!

Hits:

Latin Alive! The new upper level Latin program from CAP coming out this summer

Chalkdust Algebra I - after floundering with Algebra for a little over a year, my ds is getting 97-100% on his work.

Horizons Math K

TOG Redesign 2

Lost Tools of Writing

Phonetic Zoo

Misses:

BJ Bible

Too soon to tell, but so far:

I'm loving William Shakespeare (Little Book Audio Classics) from Open Texture

Hits:

ETC: This has helped my ds grow by leaps and bounds in his reading this year! And dd just started book 1 after doing the primers, and it's going well for her as well. ETC is a definite hit for us!

Horizons Math: We gave this a try in November, planning to pair it with singapore, and ended up dropping singapore...we are loving Horizons.

GWG: We love the simple way it teaches grammar...it is working well here.

SOTW 1: We are enjoying it, when we get to it...ds says it's one of his favorites. I'm having trouble scheduling it in...need to make it more of a priority.

Misses:

SWO: While ds liked the tests, I felt it was too much busywork and he wasn't retaining the spelling words, so we dropped it.

Hits:

HWOT Cursive

Singapore Math 2A and B

SOTW 2 and activity guide

Growing with Grammar 3

Spelling Power (and ETC 8, which we finished before starting SP)

Flash Skills Problem Solving 3 and Reading Comprehension 3

Misses:

Wordly Wise 3000 book 3---their reading comprehension was too much for her, which surprised me as she tests really well on reading comprehension in the yearly tests

HITS:

Exploring Creation with Zoology 2 "Swimming Creatures of the 5th Day"

MISSES:

Abeka God's Gift of Language...dropped and replaced with ILL which DD likes much better

CLP "Exploring American HIstory" replaced with Guerber's "Story of the Great Republic" which dd likes much better.

Well I'll just list some of the ones that surprised me or haven't been listed so far:

Hits:

BJU handwriting -go figure, she LIKES doing it!

BJU Music -a bright spot in our day, tons of fun, easy to teach

BJU math -yes, you see a trend here

Shurley Grammar-with it's brief lessons, it's turned around grammar in our house. Ok, they're brief because I only do the practice sentences, meaning 3 a day, a total of like 5 minutes. ;)

Art Fraud Detective-if you've missed this adorable book in the VP catalog, get it! It's given my dd hours and hours of fun, worth the money!

VP lit guides-So easy to implement, great way to get in more writing, and she likes that they're EASY. Not everything in the day needs to be hard, and this is great for us.

Calvert spelling cd's-greatest thing since sliced bread. Call it spelling on the days we don't get to SWR. Call it typing on the days we do. Definitely call it fun.

Typing up a schedule/checklist for the day. This is definitely something I should have started earlier. My blessed dd likes it so much (makes her feel in control?) that she actually woke up, pulled up the Word file I made, and printed her own for today!! Guess it's a good thing. :)

Misses:

RS4K pre-chem-hated this. The explanations in the text were fine, but the set-up, gathering the stuff, etc. was obnoxious for me. I wanted more demonstrations, more doing, less scientific procedure. For the target age, I just felt it wasn't necessary to have so much writing going on.

Anything from WP. I'll just wag my head here and wonder why I bought the stuff. There's just a huge personality misfit I guess, but I can say I tried and go back to my hovel.

This is fun :D. I've been reading it all night!

Our lists:

4th Grade:

Hits -

Exploring Creation with Astronomy

Classical Writing - Poetry

my friend's unpublished Latin curriculum (promise to let you all know when it's ready!!)

Sonlight Readers

Building Thinking Skills Series

Growing With Grammar.....LOVE IT!!

8th Grade:

Hits -

Apologia Physical Science

Art of Argument

Latin Prep!!!!

Misses -

Latin in the Christian Trivium

It was nice to have a year in which we didn't have too many Misses! Our math curriculum fell in the in-between category. We use Math-U-See which I have always loved. But both of my kids are getting older, and I think we might be ready for a switch. So I'm looking around. We'll see. They're both almost done with their current levels and we might try Life of Fred for the rest of the year. But I haven't seen it on anyone's Hit lists yet! Anyone???

Misses:

Abeka Math 4 (weeping and gnashing of teeth)

Where is the US are you Geography (as Tim Gunn would say, we "make it work", but don't like it)

Spanish (ds asked to switch to French)

HITS:

Singapore Math :D

HWT cursive (finally a program that worked)

Apologia Astronomy

Drawing Basics with Thomas Kinkade (my son begs to watch this video)

Logic Countdown (I think my son is part Vulcan)

Easy Grammar

Great question!

Hits for K

ETC

SOTW 1

RightStart

Nature Study

FIAR

Kumon Maze books

Misses

Anything having to do with art, glue, or scissors

Kumon Numbers 1-30

Kumon Simple Addition they are good books but didn't fit my ds learning style

Art

Make Way for Ducklings(I loved this book my ds doesn't like it at all)

Science experiments(likes science but not experiments)

Guest Lorna

Hits

Lightning Literature Medieval British Literature

Dd 12 was really ready for something to help her get more depth out of her reading and she lights up when it is time to do it.

NEM 1

Now we have realized we don't need to cover every question

Singapore Maths Just wonderful as usual.

Galore Park Books

These are providing the back bone of our curriculum and each one we do is vibrant

My own homemade spelling programme I have found tailor making a spelling programme gives us a 100% success rate

The Elements by Ellen McHenry The children love doing this. We are playing and learning.

David Attenborough books These have opened our eyes to the amazing world around us. Perfect for science!

Misses

:banghead:

We don't spend much time on clear misses. It hurts too much!

We tried Writing Strands yet again. I really find it hard to believe in this programme.

Rosetta Stone This is really very expensive for weak results.

Any Science programme for 12-14 year olds from the UK Don't get me started. :001_rolleyes:

Hits:Key to Fractions and Key to Decimals (not so much,Key to Measurement).Language Lessons for Little Ones 2 and Language Lessons For the Secondary Child.Spelling,using spelling lists from Ed-helper.SOTW,as usual.The Symphony lectures from the Teaching Company.

Misses:Latina Christiana.My World Science.Sorry,it just isn't exciting to dd.Logic and any sort of organized art activities...just didn't happen this year.