Menu

I guess there is one in every crowd

In every group that I'm in, there is one person that "doesn't check email" and "needs" to be phoned. Umm, sorry, this is 2009, you need to check your email!! One of the new Moms in my son's Cub Scout group "doesn't check email" so I need to call her about our meeting locations (which will change every week). That's fine, I can call about the Den stuff (don't want to but I will) but there is no way I'm calling every time I get an email from the Pack. This is going to get old quick.

Our homeschooling group is like this. There are a few parents that don't check email, and there is one that doesn't even have email (but her 16yo daughter does). It is a huge pain to make sure to phone these people. Do they realize how much they're inconveniencing others because they don't want to be inconvenienced themselves?

Our homeschooling group is like this. There are a few parents that don't check email, and there is one that doesn't even have email (but her 16yo daughter does). It is a huge pain to make sure to phone these people. Do they realize how much they're inconveniencing others because they don't want to be inconvenienced themselves?

I do check my email frequently, however.........

What I encounter more frequently is someone saying "I sent out a text" or "I posted it on Facebook ---didn't you see it?". When I explain that they can't text me because I don't have a texting plan (and have blocked texting because I'm not paying for strangers to text me--no one who knows me would), I'm not on Facebook (and don't plan to be), I don't tweet (and don't plan to do so), and I likely don't use whatever is the latest techno thing, I get looks like I'm from Mars. Heck, I can't even take pictures with my cell phone:D. It only sends and receives calls (when I remember to turn it on and make sure it's charged).

Those folks probably also think that I'm a huge pain because they have to email me (just hope they don't try to phone as I am forever forgetting to check my voice mail ;)). Then talk turns to the latest episode of Lost and I lose all credibility as someone living in this (or the last) century because I also don't have satellite, cable or broadcast tv......:001_smile:

What's a self-respecting Luddite to do? :D

In every group that I'm in, there is one person that "doesn't check email" and "needs" to be phoned. Umm, sorry, this is 2009, you need to check your email!! One of the new Moms in my son's Cub Scout group "doesn't check email" so I need to call her about our meeting locations (which will change every week). That's fine, I can call about the Den stuff (don't want to but I will) but there is no way I'm calling every time I get an email from the Pack. This is going to get old quick.

I am the leader of a 4-H club. I have to rearange meeting times and places all the time. I tell my parents, "Check your email before you come. If there is a change I will email it out." I DO NOT call. If a parent has no computer, I tell them to call me before every event so that they are sure there have been no changes. I will answer MY cell phone. I will not call yours! I just don't have time to call everyone. If they don't like it, they can get another leader. Get with program!

Now of course, If I plan something out of the blue that no one knows about from the monthly calendar or a meeting, I will call..but that's it!

I worked in an office and one of the gals that worked for me was not email friendly. I would send her an email with a task, she would not do the task, I would ask her that afternoon why she hadn't done it and she "didn't have time to check her email". She couldn't understand that she needed to check her email first thing in the morning just like voice mail. She was a funny duck! And not older either.... just overwhelmed I guess.

And I have 2 friends in their late 30s who don't even have email. I can't even comprehend this. Seriously it is such a trial for me to call them to set things up, I honestly don't see them as much as I would if they had email. How sad is that?

Actually, I know many, many people that don't use email at all. Don't you think it's a little rude to only use email...what about people that don't have internet?

Does she have internet access? Some people don't. Once we move from my mom's I probably won't have it again, so I will only get to check it once a week or so.

Just a thought.

This is what I was thinking. When I was teaching school, many of my students didn't have internet at all. While it would have been more "convenient" for me if they did, it was my responsibility to work around it.

What if someone doesn't have internet at all for financial reasons?

I'm coming back to this thread...I do use email, and frequently. But I really don't think that you can expect everyone to use it or expect everyone to...it wasn't that many years ago that we wouldn't have thought anything about having to call everyone with plans...because that was the way we communicated.

Now, you can put the onus on them...please call me before events if you don't use email...but I think it's a little rude and mean to expect everyone to use computer technology.

All groups I have been involved with in the last six years or so at least have depended on email. When we have been in our transient periods, I have normally not been involved in groups but I would go to a terminal at least once every two days and check my emails. In the military, it is assumed you have internet capaciy since so much is no longer published. I just wished they would quickly update their lodging so instead of going to the library or the airmen's lounge, I could at least walk down to the lobby.

When I'm in a group, I try to meet the leaders where they are. If they use email I have it, if they choose to text, leave voicemails, Facebook messages, Twitter, etc. I'll get set up for it. After all, I want to be a part of their group. Other people do too and will gladly fill my void if I don't want to work on the leadership's terms.

When I'm a leader I tell people how I will be communicating. If they don't have access to it (usually email) then they should buddy up with someone who does and receive updates through their buddy. I can't be an effective leader if I have to personally call every member. Nor do I want to be a leader in that case. They can always call me for the latest info too. My plate is too full to have half hour phone conversations with every member before every meeting. Why bother to meet!

I'm sorry, but I think it is more rude to push someone out of the group because they do not have email. That said, I think there is a difference between someone who doesn't have internet access at home and someone who just refuses to take the time to look at there's. I think a 2 minute phone call to say tonight we will be meeting at XYZ isn't too much to ask. I'm another who doesn't have TV, FB, Twitter, etc. I have a phone and basic internet access.

OUr Civil Air Patrol group relies heavy on email.

And the kids don't check it.

go figure.

The biggest problem there is the leadership is expecting them to check it before the meetings/events - and i think they are afraid to say they can't/don't (there are a few that can't).

I'm putting together a questionnaire for them to fill out anonymously to find out how they NEED communication done. I think i'm going to get 50% that don't check their email but once a week at the most (i thought that it would get better once school started, but isn't).

I totally realize that some people don't have it, nor check it.... it does make it hard in a group that has been set up to depend on it.

Oh and one thing i'm setting up is a Google Calendar. Subscribed people can have those postings sent to their phone via SMS. So that won't help with those that don't text - but it might be an option for a group to bring up too. It's a work in progress on that end right now though....

I'm coming back to this thread...I do use email, and frequently. But I really don't think that you can expect everyone to use it or expect everyone to...it wasn't that many years ago that we wouldn't have thought anything about having to call everyone with plans...because that was the way we communicated.

Now, you can put the onus on them...please call me before events if you don't use email...but I think it's a little rude and mean to expect everyone to use computer technology.

Agreed. Modes of communication may change quickly for some but very slowly for others for any number of reasons. I would think that requiring someone to call me as the leader before every event just in case something changed would be every bit time-consuming as calling them, probably more so.

It also pays to look at how the leader communicates. Do you do a lot of fairly last minute changes and figure the short time frame isn't an issue because email (or whatever) is quick? Do you instead make every effort to have any important info, schedule information, etc posted/emailed as far in advance as possible to give those with spotty access to email or who only check it once a day or so reasonable opportunity to see something in time to act on it?

I have found that as different ways to communicate proliferate, folks have seemed to become more dependent on the crutch of the myth of instant communication rather than planning in advance. One simply cannot depend on everyone (even everyone who has access to and uses all the latest tech stuff) to have instant access to it 24/7.

As an example, I do indeed check my email multiple times a day---except for Wednesdays. My husband works from home that day and we only have one computer hooked up to the internet. In order to work from home, he needs exclusive access to that on that one day a week, but I do try to be able to check my email one last time before he gets on at 8am. That day also coincides with our group park day, which went through a spate of getting changed at the very last minute (ie sometimes half an hour before it was to start) due to weather or other issues and folks depended on email to let others know. In *very* few instances did these issues arise at that late time rather than being reasonably known in advance.

Some folks are on digest, some (like me) have issues where Yahoo can sometimes be very slow to send me messages from the list (but not predictably so). I had to ask if we could instead either make a decision about the park earlier, like Tuesday night, to give everyone a chance to see the info in time to do something about it, or if someone could call me to let me know if there was a sudden unexpected change. We managed to work it out.

I think it's reasonable to say upfront that a group's main line of communication is email (and provide suggestions for those who may not have it at home, like the public library or setting up a phone buddy), but also reasonable for members to expect that, except in an emergency, email communication will happen with enough lead time to allow them to access or respond to it in a reasonable time frame (at least 24 hours). Emergency last minute issues should include the realization that you may need to try to call folks to be sure they know.

...it wasn't that many years ago that we wouldn't have thought anything about having to call everyone with plans...because that was the way we communicated.

Exactly. Phone tree!!! :)

I don't think it's unreasonable for some people to not have email or to not check email. Think about the threads on this board where people talk about avoiding cell phones. I love my cell phone because I can be reached when I go out, but I really don't care for anyone other than my DH or kids to phone me. When I'm out running errands, I don't want to be contacted for chit-chat! We're becoming a society where people are expected to maintain contact with others at all times. I find it fairly invasive actually.

Explain that you contact members exclusively through email, that you do not have time to call each mother individually. If she still refuses to do email, then let her miss dates and drop out of the group. I'm all for thinning the ranks of hangers on who cost resources and add nothing to the group.

What if someone doesn't have internet at all for financial reasons?

That I understand, and would have no problem calling in that circumstance. However, the woman who doesn't have email in our homeschooling group has a daughter who does so I'm not sure how that works financially.

Even if someone didn't have internet for ideological reasons, I wouldn't have a problem with calling them. But every person (with the exception of the one mentioned above) has said that they don't check not that they don't have.

I think that for someone that absolutely cannot get access to a computer or e-mail, then the idea of buddying them up with another willing group member for information makes sense. You already have enough responsibilities as the group leader. But, really, if it's a personal preference, I wouldn't really feel obligated to accommodate that person.

Imagine if the same person refused to get a phone 5 years ago. I think we're moving into an age where refusing e-mail is pretty much on the same level as that, though I am a little more sympathetic to older people who may not have computer skills.

Lisa

I am also this way about text.

What bothers me about texting is that it costs me money every time someone sends me a text. Just because I have a cell phone, doesn't mean I have a texting plan. I have a phone number and an email addy - call or email me. I've already paid for those, but please do not presume I can afford to have you to text me.

Are you in my pack?! This is the problem that I am having, except it is with the person who schedules events not communicating with the rest of us......because it's too much trouble to type and send an email.

I'm sorry, but I think it is more rude to push someone out of the group because they do not have email. That said, I think there is a difference between someone who doesn't have internet access at home and someone who just refuses to take the time to look at there's. I think a 2 minute phone call to say tonight we will be meeting at XYZ isn't too much to ask. I'm another who doesn't have TV, FB, Twitter, etc. I have a phone and basic internet access.

(bold emphasis is mine)

This is exactly the problem. If people don't have internet - for whatever reason - then I have no problem communicating with them by phone.

But it is entirely different to have email, give your email out as a means of reaching you, and then NOT checking it. It is especially annoying when the person in question has sent out an email......and then doesn't check for responses or return phone calls....because it was "too much trouble". :001_huh: Why send an email in the first place asking for information if that is not the preferred method of communication?

Sorry, I've been dealing with the lack of communication for the past 2 weeks as I try to get ready for our first pack meeting.

I run a small hs group and our chosen form of communication is email. Members are expected to have and check email--that's just part of being in the group. If a member doesn't have a computer or internet access, that's fine; the library has free internet access. If someone choses not to do that, I feel it's **their** responsibility to make the phone call to someone (not necessarily me) to get the information.

Running a group takes FAR more time than anyone imagines. I really don't have the time or ability to make phone calls to someone who joins knowing we communicate by email.

Well first, I'm not pushing her out of the group. Second, it isn't that she doesn't have email, it is that she doesn't check it. Third, I think it is rude for someone to assume that exceptions should be made for them. If I didn't have email, I would come up with a way to get the information myself not force someone to go to extra effort for me. Finally, this is 2009. This woman has a young son who is involved in many school sports and activities. EVERYONE communicates through email, not just me. I don't think it is unreasonable to require someone to use what is now basic communication.

Actually, I know many, many people that don't use email at all. Don't you think it's a little rude to only use email...what about people that don't have internet?

I have to say as someone who works with a lower income group with WIC I have a lot more tolerance for people without email, and being in a very "crunchy" minded community there are many who find email/text/fb to be way too un-organic for their tastes, and also being in a community where many of the hsers are fairly conservative and religious, perhaps some what old fashioned and therefor prefer to do things by phone. This is not the majority of people mind you, but they make up a sample of the community and you have to be tolerate and understanding of those people.

Now, they miss out it's for sure. Someone is going to shoot out an email for a last minute hsing event, like a lake day or hike, the person whoes not on top of their email may be forgotten. But, I like to try to give them as much respect about it as possible.

We take email for granted. Not every one even has a PC never mind internet. And really, I kinda wish I checked mine less often! Think of the freedom! :lol:

A friend from overseas wants me to use her Facebook page for communication (I don't) instead of personal emails.

It's now apparently too much trouble to even write an email!

Yeah that. I do almost all communication through fb now, it really is streamlined somehow- I can't narrow it down, but it is easier. It's really pathetic actually that it's come down to that.

But it's amazing how much closer I feel to my CT hsing SIL and my OH hsing SIL and our local HS community through facebook.

It also allows us to be better networked as a community of hsers. We're not a co-op or anything, some are, but we've rounded up all the hsers in the area regardless of method/religious affiliation and have them in one place on a fb group page and we can plan things in an instant with one another.

I run a small hs group and our chosen form of communication is email. Members are expected to have and check email--that's just part of being in the group. If a member doesn't have a computer or internet access, that's fine; the library has free internet access. If someone choses not to do that, I feel it's **their** responsibility to make the phone call to someone (not necessarily me) to get the information.

Running a group takes FAR more time than anyone imagines. I really don't have the time or ability to make phone calls to someone who joins knowing we communicate by email.

If I were in the situation where the group leader did not want to call me with updates, then I would find someone else in the group to do so if possible.

If I were the group leader and someone in my group didn't have internet access, I would just call them. Two minutes of my time to save someone 30+ minutes of their's isn't a big deal to me. I just look at it from my perspective - going to the library to check my email involves 6 children and a 15 minute round trip!:tongue_smilie:

Of course, no one is entitled to anyone's consideration, so I wouldn't *expect* others to accommodate me.

I am the leader of a 4-H club. I have to rearange meeting times and places all the time. I tell my parents, "Check your email before you come. If there is a change I will email it out." I DO NOT call. If a parent has no computer, I tell them to call me before every event so that they are sure there have been no changes. I will answer MY cell phone. I will not call yours! I just don't have time to call everyone. If they don't like it, they can get another leader. Get with program!

Now of course, If I plan something out of the blue that no one knows about from the monthly calendar or a meeting, I will call..but that's it!

:iagree: This is exactly how I would do it!

On another note...

There are some Christians who refuse to participate in anything web-related. I have a family member like that. She just flat out refuses to learn to use the web. It's evil. Her kids are not even allowed to learn how to email their cousin (my ds). Her dh or adult children must do things for her....research something, order school stuff, etc. It pretty much drives me crazy. BUT, at least they do now own a computer. That was taboo for many, many years. So they have reached the 20th century....perhaps eventually they'll make it into the 21st! :lol:

I think it's reasonable to say upfront that a group's main line of communication is email (and provide suggestions for those who may not have it at home, like the public library or setting up a phone buddy), but also reasonable for members to expect that, except in an emergency, email communication will happen with enough lead time to allow them to access or respond to it in a reasonable time frame (at least 24 hours). Emergency last minute issues should include the realization that you may need to try to call folks to be sure they know.

Our group is a 4-H club. Every single member has email except one. That one is respsonsable to call me or someone else before every meeting or else she may just show up to club and no one else is there. We have meetings at a local uncovered arena. It if it cloudy, we wait till the last minute to cancel club. I may cancel at 2:00 PM a meeting set to go at 6:00 PM. We don't cancel sooner because we WANT to meet and ride if at all possible. I can't call everyone. They just need to check their email! No one in the club has a problem with it.

This thread just reminded me that there is someone in a group I'm heading that doesn't have access to email. I've been conducting all the discussions, date planning, etc through a yahoo group I made for the group - and I totally forgot about this mom (I've not met her - one of the other moms told her about our group).

Hopefully her friend has been keeping her up to date. :blush: I hate talking on the phone, but will call her after Labor Day to make sure she's up-to-date. I can't believe I forgot about her, though. How embarrassing! :blushing:

... the best way to get ahold of me is to email.

Me, too. We didn't have a home phone for years until recently and my cell phone is a piece of you-know-what. If I'm home though, I check my email about every 10-15 minutes. :)

I don't do Twitter, Facebook, or anything like that and don't text either. I guess I'm behind the times that way. I can reach all of my friends by email except for one. I wouldn't mind calling her instead, except for the fact that my phone is a piece of you-know-what. It's not a problem at all now that we finally got a home phone. :)

My husband registered Diva for soccer. It asked for his email, so he gave it, just as he gave our phone number, her name, birthdate, etc. Never occurred to him that it would be their primary way of contacting us.

Wolf rarely ever checks his email. It was probably a month before I found out that they'd been emailing stuff to his addy, rather than calling.

I love email.

but I also have a life with 5 kids and several other activities that mesh great together-- i don't sit at home waiting on the emails from a leader at the last second. i'm likely going from one event to another with pretty tight planning to maximize the efficiency of getting out and about.

If something changes The Day Of an event, I need to know about the change on my phone -- I'm likely away from my computer.

Being at the library at 8am to set up, rehearse, and perform a play for storytime at 10:30, doing a picnic lunch, attending a playdate at the park, stopping by the store, then coming home to check email at 6pm only to find out that a 4-H project meeting was scheduled for that evening at 5:30 can be pretty frustrating ---especially when i could have EASILY adjusted my afternoon schedule had someone taken 30 seconds to give me a call on my ever present cell phone [no texting here either].

I can make a phone call in 30 seconds and verify information or leave a voicemail.

If calling people is such a pain, i would suggest delegating that job to someone else, but people really deserve actual communication.

Establish a phone tree: you call TWO people, those people call two others, and they each call two others, and so on.

There's an old joke that if you are using higher vocabulary and the person you are speaking with doesn't understand you, then YOU are the one who is not communicating --you should be smart enough to figure out how to communicate an idea, not just smart enough to phrase it in a flowery manner. Being good enough to send an email isn't good enough.

People can't follow you if you don't lead. And sometimes, being a leader means taking serious time to make sure your TEAM is informed. This day and age, there's really No Excuse for not being able to communicate an idea --phone, internet, letters. It does take a lot of time and effort to run a group --and communicating is a basic part of that.

I wouldn't be a good leader if i was slacking off on paperwork, and I won't be a good leader slacking off on communication either.

It seems like a bit of a leap to conclude that someone who isn't communicating the way the leader prefers is adding nothing to the group and should be thinned out.

I rely a lot on email. But I think that we have developed a mindset that since so many people have email open on their computers all day, that sending out a message equals instant receipt and compliance.

I think that a leader in this situation has to meet halfway with the families. If you know that a certain communication path isn't effective, then you need to have an alternative for critical communication. If the issue is just that they are getting word about certain large events a week or two after other people do because they hear about them at the pack meeting rather than the email announcement or the den meeting or the committee meeting, that is probably ok. If they are missing lots of events because they aren't getting the word at all, then it seems like you need to make a change.

I'm team mom for my ds' soccer team. I call everyone. I don't rely on emails or texts because the only way I can ensure they get the message is by acutally talking to them. Yes, it takes extra work, but really, it doesn't take that much time to call. To me, it really isn't that big of a deal. Plus, we have a lot of nasty situations regarding divorced parents. I need to track down who has Johnny and call that parent to confirm things. It's about the kids so I don't mind dealing with inconvenient situations.

I don't mean to sound snarky and that isn't my intention. Just thought a different side should be represented. I get tired of talking to machines, having the machines talk for me, or being talked to by machines. Sometimes a live voice in nice and much quicker in the long run when dealing with responses.

Ducking and running now.....

I'd also say that parents are more likely to respond to requests for help when they come in person or over the phone than in a group email. When a request for help or a reply comes via email, it is too easy to ignore or think that you'll get back around to it later.

I've been a scout leader of one type or another for the last six years. It can be quite a balancing act. You have to accept people where they are, not where you wish they would be. But you can also give them tools and hope that will decide to take advantage of them.

You have a vision of what the perfect den or pack or troop would be, but you have to deal with the messy reality of families who move, scouts who are busy with other activities too, parents who are content to let others do the work.

I hope that the OP can create a work around for the email issue. And thanks to her and other group leaders who are out there putting their work into making things better for our kids.

Didn't read all the posts.

I hardly ever checked my email, until I lost my phone (now all communication is through email). Up till then, if you didn't call the odds were I wouldn't get the message.

Also, I know lots of people without home internet (they use the library or their work computers for internet "needs").

If calling is too hard, then I guess all the phoners in your den are going to quit or make their own den.

So, does this fall under the Law of the Pack, the motto, or the promise? I will have email and check it daily... hmm... don't remember that one.

I read last year that just under 20% of US households didn't have internet access. The poll indicated that it tended to be elderly &/or poor people..... that was a year ago, I'm guessing that's gone down some more since then.

I'm just imagining that this same problem occurred in the past when people were getting telephones. Darn that Mrs. Jones! I have to bicycle to her house with the invitation instead of being able to call her! Why can't she just get a telephone installed like normal people?

Plus ca change etc etc

If someone volunteers their time to lead your child's group/pack/den/club/team then you should do your best to help them out including communicating in their preferred way, if at all possible.

:rant:

It seems that every time I volunteer to lead some group for my kids, some other parent complains about how I do it, but also refuses to help. My attitude is that as long as I am kind and fair to your child, you can help or shut up. If someone can't be bothered to check email (answer the phone, check facebook, whatever), maybe I can't be bothered to be their son's den leader....

My SIL refuses to have an internet connection and not for financial reasons. She argues away the need for an internet connection at any occassion it comes up. But it is really a loss to her because she is constantly out of the loop. She gets mad because nobody told her about such-and-such, but IMO, it is her fault for requiring special attention! Personally, I cannot imagine having kids in college and not having an internet connection...call the school for everything? Bleh!

OTOH, it really annoyed me a few years ago when my dd's soccer coach, who has a Crackberry, would send a zillion e-mails and texts changing locations and times of things at the last minute. I still had dial-up internet and so I didn't have continuous, minute-by-minute e-mail updates and my phone didn't even receive texts. Now I have a Crackberry, too, but I still don't think people should routinely rely on others to get e-mails within an hour or so.

I'm that one in my crowd :)

I'm just not at home all day long, with easy access to email. I usually check in the morning when I first get up, or around bedtime, but during the day we're out and about. We do a lot of extracurriculars, plus I work outside of the home in a job without computer access, so we're just not always in a position to check emails.

I managed my son's soccer team for two years, where only half of the families had internet access (and of the half WITH access, some only had access at work). Phone calls were time-consuming, due to language barriers with many parents of the players, but they were a necessity so they got made. I considered it part of my responsibility as team manager. Never occured to me to start a phone tree ::sigh:: LOL, but that would have helped.

We play baseball in a different city. I managed my son's team for three seasons, and it was a much different experience from our soccer team. This is a town of professionals and yuppies, so everyone has quick internet access in addition to phones that are email-capable. Last minute changes much easier to communicate. When I sent out a last-minute email I'd ask for a quick reply just to let me know the message was received; if I didn't get a reply within x minutes of the event's original starting time, I'd call those people who seemingly hadn't received my email. It wasn't always convienent, but it had to be done. Again, I considered it part of my responsibility as team manager.

For both teams I set up blogs so that there was an additional mode of communication available. I always updated the blog before I sent out an email or phone call. Most parents set up to subscribe to the blog so that they'd get automatic emails anytime the blog had been updated.

I liked the suggestion that the primary mode of communication be established in advance so that everyone is on the same page with that.