Menu

Awful carseat law

So when I went to look up the law about leaving kids unattended in the car (and I'm surprised our law is so permissive!), I found the carseat law also.

It's 5 yrs old and/OR 36inches tall.

The average 3 1/2 yr old child is 36 inches tall! And there are ads on the tv (saw one while watching the Today Show earlier today!) that say that a child needs to be 4 ft 9in before sitting without a child carseat.

Doesn't some law say something like 80 pounds and/or 8yrs old?

I would like the MINIMUM law to be at least 8 years old but with strong recommendations to wait til 80 pounds and 4'9".

I realize that not every parent will want to do like I did and insist a shorter (or lighter) child stay in the seat even at double digit ages. But to have a law that has the average PRESCHOOLER out of a seat is irresponsible, imo.

So when I went to look up the law about leaving kids unattended in the car (and I'm surprised our law is so permissive!), I found the carseat law also.

The average 3 1/2 yr old child is 36 inches tall! And there are ads on the tv (saw one while watching the Today Show earlier today!) that say that a child needs to be 4 ft 9in before sitting without a child carseat.

I would like the MINIMUM law to be at least 8 years old but with strong recommendations to wait til 80 pounds and 4'9".

I realize that not every parent will want to do like I did and insist a shorter (or lighter) child stay in the seat even at double digit ages. But to have a law that has the average PRESCHOOLER out of a seat is irresponsible, imo.

Honestly, I don't want a law that tells me I have to keep my 48 pound/just under 4ft tall 10 year old son in a car seat or booster seat. At some point I have to be allowed to parent and make the best decisions for my children.

Honestly, I don't want a law that tells me I have to keep my 48 pound/just under 4ft tall 10 year old son in a car seat or booster seat. At some point I have to be allowed to parent and make the best decisions for my children.

:iagree:

I can understand not having the LAW say "no matter what, 80 pounds and 4 ft 9 inches." There are adults that small and I understand.

But our law has 3yr olds without carseats!

I just guess we don't have to be dumb either direction. By putting a REASONABLE age on it, we solve both issues. By saying a child younger than that age must meet a REASONABLE safe height/weight, we also solve many issues. We don't need to go neglecting children because some teens/adults are small and we don't have to go putting teens/adults in car seats to keep kids safe. We CAN be, I think, reasonable about it.

Edited by 2J5M9K

I can understand not having the LAW say "no matter what, 80 pounds and 4 ft 9 inches." There are adults that small and I understand.

But our law has 3yr olds without carseats!

I just guess we don't have to be dumb either direction. By putting a REASONABLE age on it, we solve both issues. By saying a child younger than that age must meet a REASONABLE safe height/weight, we also solve many issues. We don't need to go neglecting children because some teens/adults are small and we don't have to go putting teens/adults in car seats to keep kids safe. We CAN be, I think, reasonable about it.

Sorry, I misunderstood then. Most states have an either/or clause.

Missouri is 8 years old or 80 lbs. I am glad they stipulated "or" because I have teenagers that just made the weight mark and I couldn't afford more than the three seats I already have! :001_smile: I think it's a shame that the government thinks they need to get involved at all, but that is apparently the state of things, as people don't seem to be able to think for themselves.:tongue_smilie:

Most states have an either/or clause.

Yeah, my state's either/or clause:

1) 5 years old (not a reasonable age, imo)

2) OR 36inches tall (the height of the average 3.5 year old which is also not reasonable, imo)

That was my complaint. Young children (by definition, 3-8yr olds) should, imo, be in carseats unless they are so tall or heavy it would be dangerous for them to be. I'm not trying to put teens in carseats, but thinking that ALL preschoolers should be.

In BC, by law:

All drivers must ensure all children are secured in an age- and weight-appropriate child car seat until their 9th birthday unless the child has reached the height of 145 cm (4'9") tall.

I think this becomes a regional 'norms' issue. When our kids were little, it was just starting to become common for safety conscious parents to use booster seats until the kids were this big. A few years later, it became law. Now everyone uses them - it's no big deal.

You're also not allowed to smoke in a car with kids here :-)

If you are still in Tx there was a law passed in June that requires all kids be in a car seat until 8 or 4'9" tall. The fine is $25 though, so most people probably will not buy seats. Fines begin next June.

I would like to make these decisions for MY kids though.

For those who do not want to go with the 4 ft 9, and 80 lb recommendations, I pity the poor EMS workers, (that could in the event of an accident) have to be the ones to tell you that your child is permanently injured or dead, because the seat belt strangled them, or their neck snapped, or, they flew out from under the belt.

They will also be the ones who will cut your child from the wreckage, and will forever have that picture etched into their minds.

Yes, carseats are a hassle, yes, they are difficult to install correctly, but yes, they save lives and children from injury.

As a former EMS worker, the above is something I know and have first hand experience with. Not something I would ever want anyone to have to deal with, but it happens EVERY single day. Forever, we live with this, forever, we see that child's face, forever we know that a car seat properly installed most likely would have saved that child. To me, that is a small price to pay. We then see that parent on the street, and literally want to ask if their price was worth it. We want to ask how they are doing, but afraid to, because there is a part of us that want to do or say inappropriate things because of the images that we are forever left with.

I thank God everyday that I don't have first hand experience having one of my own children having been in a wreck, so do not have the knowledge to post from their view point.

Yeah, my state's either/or clause:

1) 5 years old (not a reasonable age, imo)

2) OR 36inches tall (the height of the average 3.5 year old which is also not reasonable, imo)

That was my complaint. Young children (by definition, 3-8yr olds) should, imo, be in carseats unless they are so tall or heavy it would be dangerous for them to be. I'm not trying to put teens in carseats, but thinking that ALL preschoolers should be.

What is the basis of your opinion? I mean really, what does a child's age have to do with anything with regard to car seat safety (why 8 but not 9)?

I believe TX law just changed, but I can't find a link right now. IIRC the new rule is 8 years.

http://www.iihs.org/laws/childrestraint.aspx

Texas - 7 years and younger and less than 57 inches (effective 09/01/09)

(I'm an obsessive car seat law checker...Some states just amaze me with their stupidity although it appears to be getting better...)

Awww...you have a small one like my yongest son. My older is 4'10, 68 pounds. My youngest is about 3'4" and 35 pounds. :)

and technically my 11 isn't big enough to not be in one. He is 72 lbs and 4' 7" which is under the 80lb 4' 9" recommendation. But really, an 11.5 yo in a car seat is just setting him up for ridicule.

My almost 10 yo dd and my 8 yo dd still willingly sit in low back boosters. They weigh 60 and 45 lbs, so there is no choice in my opinion.

We just bought 4 new carsetas-- 2 high backed boosters, one regular 5 pt harness and 1 rear facing booster. It was alot of money, and it is a pain in the rear, but really, they are safer in these seats.

I think when you realize that there a lot of people who won't make good decisions, allow their infants and toddlers to just be loose in the car, or don't want to spend the money on car seats, you understand why there are laws.

what does a child's age have to do with anything with regard to car seat safety (why 8 but not 9)?

I think they're looking at the anatomy of the child. There may not be much difference between an 8 and 9 yo, but between 5 and 8, there's a huge difference. The younger kids have bigger heads (harder for their necks to support them properly) and are obviously going to be a lot shorter, so the seatbelt will be at the wrong place on their neck.

I agree that there needs to be some wiggle room in the law for parental discretion, though. My 7yo (she will be 8 this month) claims that she is too big for her booster seat. Many of her friends can ride comfortably w/o one. They are physically more mature that she is. She will not be 80 lbs until she's at least 12, and I don't expect to keep her in a booster seat that long. I have let her go w/o the booster this last week. But last night I was looking at her in the car, and she really is too small to be in a regular seat. I won't need her seat for her younger brother for another year, so I think she'll just have to deal with the indignities of a booster for a little while longer.

I'm rambling, but I think my point is that parents need to be able to judge the size of their children and buckle them up appropriately. The laws should give reasonable guidelines to measure against.

Thanks for sharing about the new law! I didn't know that but boy am I glad to hear it! Obviously it doesn't have anything to do with us as my kids are big and would likely use the more conservative ideas if they had their own children, but I'm glad anyway. Maybe that is why I saw the PSA about it this morning (I thought the PSA said 8 and 80).

WordGirl, my belief is that at some point parents make their own choices. Where one parent would decide not to have a 10yo in a carseat, we chose to have our 10yo in one (and in the back seat). To me, age didn't have anything to do with it. However, I definitely can see how the parent of a 4 ft 6inch 14yo thinks differently!

Car seat laws drive me nuts. I hate outrageous (Nanny State) car seat laws & 8 years old is nuts at any weight. I had a neice standing over 5" at 8. More recent laws allow the OR... but many used to only say AND. I am glad to see this is changing. She would have been ridiculous at 8 in a car seat.

Put them in the second or third row, make them sit down & drive. For heavens sake.... womb to the tomb government care is not an answer. Now, if the parent wants to put an 8 year old in a car seat.... go for it. Leave my kids up to me. (I never used a seatbelt & used to sit in front seat.... gosh, I made it to 41... amazing) (but then cars were bigger than SODA CANS in those days ;))

Sorry... these nit-picking laws drive me bananas. :willy_nilly: I may be off the reservation b/c didn't get to read all the replies.

Edited by Dirtroad

and technically my 11 isn't big enough to not be in one. He is 72 lbs and 4' 7" which is under the 80lb 4' 9" recommendation. But really, an 11.5 yo in a car seat is just setting him up for ridicule. .

My short 11yo is still in a booster, and will be there till she's 4'9", which at this rate could be 12 or even 13. At which point she still won't be close to the 80 lbs (I think she's 60-something now), but from everything I've read it's the height, leg length and where the belt falls on their hips and collarbone that's important, not the weight. My taller 11yo has been out for quite a while. I don't care one whit that one twin is in a booster and one isn't. The laws of physics in a car crash don't care if some idiot taunting kid thinks boosters are for babies - the kid is still improperly restrained and at risk for a lot more than ridicule. I make her short 11yo friend sit in a booster if I'm driving as well.

And yes, some adults could probably use boosters - the seats and belts in front are still designed for 180 lb. men.

And based on an article Laura Corin sent a while back, nor will any of my kids be in the front seat till they're 14, no matter how tall or heavy. That was a very compelling article (that bone density changes in puberty are the most important thing for front seat safety, and that those changes are not present in most kids till 14, even if they're tall/heavy as an adult).

Dirtroad,

I understand what you're saying. I guess I just see that parents choose poorly. These laws keep MORE children (not yours, maybe) safe when their parents didn't voluntarily do so. I don't suggest every parent should do what I did (and my 11yo was in a booster seat), but that there has to be a limit to how unsafe a parent is allowed to be. At some point, CHILDREN should have rights that their parents can't neglect.

And the reason there are laws is because people won't research and make good choices. Unfortunately sometimes gov't steps in because parents won't step up (btw, I'm less against gov't oversight of homeschooling these days also since very few I've met in the last 6 years does it even half-decently).

One day, it'll be God's perfect gov't. Until then, I appreciate the times the gov't we're under helps people.

I'm torn on how much I think the government should legislate this issue. I have read studies that show that age 8 and 80 lbs. is a huge improvement in safety. I personally intend to follow this guideline with my children. I guess I fail to see how this is a huge intrusion or burden. If it makes my child safer and isn't immoral or unaffordable, why wouldn't I do it?

When I was a child in the 80s, the car seat law was much less restrictive, but I sat in a booster seat until I turned 8 anyway. Why? Because I liked being able to see out the window and having the belt not feel like it was cutting into me! None of my friends were in car seats, but I didn't care. I liked my view.

I don't understand the arguments about it looking ridiculous for a larger child to be in a booster seat. Booster seats don't have to look babyish, like a pink "Dora the Explorer" seat. They come in simple gray/black/brown options that just look like a smaller adult bucket seat on top of the regular seat. If our society worked at it, we could make it so that there is no stigma attached to sitting in a booster seat until age 8 or more and our children would have a better chance of coming through car accidents well.

Alaska law just recently changed (this summer) from up to 40 lbs or 4yrs old to I believe 80 lbs or 8 yrs old. I wish it didn't require laws for some parents to take their children's safety seriously.

I still remember watching a film strip as a kid that showed a 15 lb "dummy baby" being held in the arms of a "dummy mommy" when the demonstration car collided with a solid object at just 30 mph. That bit of film has stuck with me all these years and to this day I cringe whenever I see a small child riding unrestrained in a vehicle.

What's interesting is that 4'9" and 80 pounds is the 50th percentile for height at age 11. At age 9, a child at 4'9" would be >95th percentile for height, and at 80 pounds would be just over the 90th percentile for weight.

I would assume that height is the most important for how a seatbelt fits. According to my chart, only 50% of children should be out of a booster seat at age 11, with 95% being out by age 13. Like that's going to happen!

That said--I made my now 13 yo son use a booster seat until he was 10 in one of our cars and until he was 11 in another. And he is in the 95th percentile for height.

It is about YOU (stranger on the road) knowing better than the childs parents. It is about society deciding what is best for your child and not the parent in really minor daily decisions. This has encroached on so many aspects of our lives (school, medical, etc) and it will not end.

This is also not about a compassionate government. There is not such thing. It is more about insurance companies lobbying & helicopter Moms who chose for their children... and want to make you follow their decisions with your children.

Sorry, I don't need a nanny state. If kids are running all over the back seat of a car at 70 mph.... the parents have BIGGER issues than a car seat and a $10 fine isn't going to help. Another issue... the state doesn't take care of the big stuff with failing parents (drugs & abuse).... why should they even meddle in the little stuff. They can't take the kids and really have no influence on the ones who dont' care in the beginning.

Those who are aware are doing it. Those who don't care... still don't.. not matter how many laws you want passed. Sorry. Just hate micromanagment by gov't. I prefer liberty to safety... anyday. And... I feel the rights of child should be never be determined by the government (except in the extreme cases of abuse & neglect... which are already criminal acts regarding any age). Open these doors & they only get wider. You are the parent... not gov't. You must take care of your children... but you can't manage your neighbors too.

Why can't car companies make seat belts that fit elementary aged children? About 50% of people in cars fall in this range. I think it is a money racket put on us by car seat manufacturers. Seat belts don't hit me correctly and I'm 5"3". They choke me.

My biggest problem is getting 3 car seats to fit across my car. I think if we are required to have our elementary aged children in car seats, car seats should be REQUIRED to be made to fit 3 across the back SAFELY. I don't think my car seats are safe because they are jammed across. There is not one thing I can do about that. I'm complying with the law, but they don't require the law to accommodate cars! Anyone know why they are allowed to design car seats that won't fit 3 across correctly? What are we supposed to do with our kids in this situation? Not go anywhere? Only be allowed to have 2 children??????

I am not one for giving the government any control over our parenting decisions, but this is a matter of public safety.

As the former EMS worker said it, it could save lives. Not that long ago, we thought it was a matter of personal choice to wear a seatbelt. I'm glad that law has taken effect and saved lives. As well as the kids in the backseat law.

And, consider this, you're not the least responsible parent out there. What about those kids?

Ditto. Ours was just changed last summer to 8yrs, which was rediculous. I had to buy a car seat for DS to use just for a few months. He already fit fine in the backseat seatbelts without it.

"Alberta lawĂ¢â‚¬â€œ drivers must transport any child under 18 kg. (40 pounds)/ six years in a child car seat that conforms to Canadian Motor Vehicle Safety Standards and that the seat must be used according to manufacturerĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s guidelines."

That appears to be all we have here for a law. Motor vehicle laws are strange in this province, I've noticed ~ I think Alberta is the only place left in Canada where a kid can get their learners permit & legally drive around town with a licensed adult beside them at the age of fourteen.:001_huh:

Why can't car companies make seat belts that fit elementary aged children? About 50% of people in cars fall in this range. I think it is a money racket put on us by car seat manufacturers. Seat belts don't hit me correctly and I'm 5"3". They choke me.

My biggest problem is getting 3 car seats to fit across my car. I think if we are required to have our elementary aged children in car seats, car seats should be REQUIRED to be made to fit 3 across the back SAFELY. I don't think my car seats are safe because they are jammed across. There is not one thing I can do about that. I'm complying with the law, but they don't require the law to accommodate cars! Anyone know why they are allowed to design car seats that won't fit 3 across correctly? What are we supposed to do with our kids in this situation? Not go anywhere? Only be allowed to have 2 children??????

That's a good point. One I had forgottenI had to pu DS in the front in a car seat because they just wouldn't fit in the back. Before the law he could sit in the middle without one and was much safer. (the fines in MI are hundreds of dollars, on 10) Stupid. But Dirtroad said it best, we don't need MORE laws telling us what to do.

For those who do not want to go with the 4 ft 9, and 80 lb recommendations, I pity the poor EMS workers, (that could in the event of an accident) have to be the ones to tell you that your child is permanently injured or dead, because the seat belt strangled them, or their neck snapped, or, they flew out from under the belt.

They will also be the ones who will cut your child from the wreckage, and will forever have that picture etched into their minds.

Yes, carseats are a hassle, yes, they are difficult to install correctly, but yes, they save lives and children from injury.

As a former EMS worker, the above is something I know and have first hand experience with. Not something I would ever want anyone to have to deal with, but it happens EVERY single day. Forever, we live with this, forever, we see that child's face, forever we know that a car seat properly installed most likely would have saved that child. To me, that is a small price to pay. We then see that parent on the street, and literally want to ask if their price was worth it. We want to ask how they are doing, but afraid to, because there is a part of us that want to do or say inappropriate things because of the images that we are forever left with.

I thank God everyday that I don't have first hand experience having one of my own children having been in a wreck, so do not have the knowledge to post from their view point.

:iagree::iagree: I wholeheartedly agree as as nurse who worked in critical care/trauma.

It only takes a few minutes to make a child safer in a car and I think this law is a common sense law that saves many lives.

For those who want the freedom to not do so, you actually increase the cost to all of society in higher insurance premiums when tragedy does strike and put your own dear children at risk.

It is about YOU (stranger on the road) knowing better than the childs parents. It is about society deciding what is best for your child and not the parent in really minor daily decisions. This has encroached on so many aspects of our lives (school, medical, etc) and it will not end.

This is also not about a compassionate government. There is not such thing. It is more about insurance companies lobbying & helicopter Moms who chose for their children... and want to make you follow their decisions with your children.

Sorry, I don't need a nanny state. If kids are running all over the back seat of a car at 70 mph.... the parents have BIGGER issues than a car seat and a $10 fine isn't going to help. Another issue... the state doesn't take care of the big stuff with failing parents (drugs & abuse).... why should they even meddle in the little stuff. They can't take the kids and really have no influence on the ones who dont' care in the beginning.

Those who are aware are doing it. Those who don't care... still don't.. not matter how many laws you want passed. Sorry. Just hate micromanagment by gov't. I prefer liberty to safety... anyday. And... I feel the rights of child should be never be determined by the government (except in the extreme cases of abuse & neglect... which are already criminal acts regarding any age). Open these doors & they only get wider. You are the parent... not gov't. You must take care of your children... but you can't manage your neighbors too.

Totally agree with you, Dirtroad. No shock there.

I haven't read the other replies but I have several friends in law enforcement who have told me that Texas car seat laws are some of the most permissive in the nation. That's b/c every time a new law in introduced in the House the Reps from the poor and/or rural districts will not vote for it. Voting for a tougher car seat law=everyone who voted for them having to go out and spend money to get new/better seats=unhappy voters=not getting re-elected. Sad but true. When I researched car seat law awhile back I found it to be mostly true that states with the toughest car seat laws were the ones with the lowest unemployment and poverty rates. What you hear about 4'9" in all the ads is what is recommended by manufacturers and national safety experts but what can actually be enforced (in Texas at least) is what the law states.

Well, as one who has very slender kids, I go by height rather than weight. Booster seats are intended to give a "boost" to someone who is too short to be accomodated by a normal seat belt. My 10 year old weighs around 60 lbs, but is 4 feet 11 inches. So no boosting for her. She'll probably be 12 before she weighs 80 lbs.

I know that some of the laws are stupid. I had light, tall children at infancy. None of them made it through 12 months facing the back because they were too tall. They didn't weigh the weight but they were too tall. In terms of boosters, when we were using one of our cars, we couldn't get two boosters and one teen in the back. Now the older one was 8 or 9 but she went without a booster. We then put her in the middle so she wouldn't have the belt snapping her neck. At some point, my youngest grew too wide for her booster seat even though her weight wasn't there yet and neither was her height. She was nine then and I had to have her stop using it. We used pillows for a while till she grew a bit. THe youngest is now 100 lbs. and 5'1 so we are fine now.

I am sorry but the parents who let their kids crawl and climb in the car are probably neglected parents outside the car too. Like that lady who had been drinking and smoking pot and drove her minivan the wrong way on the highway up in NY. SHe died, kids died, other car's passenger's died, and I don't think car seats made a difference since the car burned I believe.

They didn't weigh the weight but they were too tall.

I have *exactly* that problem with ds10. He's very tiny due to his disabilities - right now, I have him in a booster because he's a couple inches too tall for all the carseats available here... but he's not even quite at the 40lb out-of-carseat-standard. (yes, he's very little for 10 - think skinny 5 year old. Small stature is a part of his stuff) I would REALLY rather have him in a normal carseat, 5pt thing, but he doesn't fit them with his height. Shoulders are too high for the highest strap places. It seems there are some bigger ones for sale in some places, but not here anyway, we looked & looked. Grrrr.

What is the basis of your opinion? I mean really, what does a child's age have to do with anything with regard to car seat safety (why 8 but not 9)?

Bone maturity. I read something recently that stated most kids don't have an adult frame until approximately age 14 and that really kids should be kept in the back until their bones properly fuse no matter what their height. Now, I have a family of 9 and the biggest car we have seats 7, so SOMEone is going to be in the front with me. However this has given me pause and if there is room in the back, my 12yo sits back there with the little guys.

Similarly, I'm guessing the age 9 thing has to do with skeletal changes.

Barb

I'm not sure what I think. I'm fine with reasonable laws, but it feels like every time I turn around, there's another new law I have to worry about. I want children to be protected, but at some point you cannot legislate complete safety. Life is a big risk. Our state is 6 yrs. of age. Putting the limit at an age seems very arbitrary since 6 yr olds can vary greatly in height and weight. It would make much more sense to me to set the law at a height and weight restriction rather than age.

My 12 yr old dd who is 5'3" just barely hit over 80 lbs., and I have not had her in a booster seat.

Janet

My children are always in a car seat. Quite honestly a parent who does not put their child in a seat is stupid......but........on a certain level I oppose car seat laws as I still believe that it is the parents not some bureaucrat who should raise children.

Note the quote by Pitt in my tag line.

Does anyone realize how many tax dollars goes towards Post traumatic stress disorder classes for workers who deal with the decisions that are supposedly yours?

I am sorry, I STAND FIRM on this issue. I worked a wreck nearly 12 yrs ago where 4 children died. 2 were thrown from the car--only wearing lap belts, and 2 had SEVERE head injuries. The parents had their seat belts on. They had minor injuries, but all four children died. The children were ages 6-12. :001_huh:

There were 23 of us that worked that wreck. 18 of us are no longer in EMS. How could we really go back. We went to PTSD classes for 9 mos. The images of those children are still in my mind everyday today. The parents are now divorced, and one is a severe alcoholic.

I am one of the first to say that government needs to let us raise our children, but, this is a different matter. This is not really any different then driving the speed limit. A child bouncing around the back seat can be distracting which could cause you to his someone else. It becomes a public issue real fast.

The reason car manufacturers are not making car seats in the cars, is that not all cars are for kids. They are responsible for making the cars safe for adults. If you add this to their guidelines, then the price of cars is going to go up a ton. Do you want to pay another $3000 for your car so that I can have 6 car seats in my 15 pass van? I don't think so. You would prolly rather pay for 1 carseat for your 1 child then pay for mine too. ;) You need to figure in the cost of the designing, safety tests, and all that into how much the car industry would have to up the price of EVERY single car they sale. ;)

I think the carseat *laws* should be minimal.

However, carseat *education* needs a major bump!!! Most parents will give their kids the safest seat they can afford, given they KNOW the risks at hand.

My dc RF until they max out of the weight limit for the seat (Aaron was 2yo when I turned him to FF) and will be in 5pt harness until they max out the weight on those too (my 6yo is still in a 5pt). The Regent I have does 5pt harness up through like 80lbs (I think) and the Graco Nautilus is a 5pt harness up through 65lbs.

I'm only 5ft myself...I technically need a booster b/c the sealtbelt doesn't fit me properly. If I were in a wreck the seatbelt would cut across my neck:001_huh: that scares me more than actually getting in a wreck LOL! If I could find a booster for me (the would allow me to reach the gas) I might get it.:lol:

My poor kids ride in boosters just about forever. My teen (has been out of one for years of course) is just now about 106 lbs or so (and tall enough to look like he might snap in two...). He's 5'10. Yikes! Need to get some weight on this kid--but he keeps shooting UP! :tongue_smilie:

My 12 yo (in April) is 74 lbs and 4'10" as of today. He is barely two years out of the booster.

My 9 yo dd is 50 lbs soaking wet, and 4'3"! She's got about another year ahead of her. Legally, she does not need to be in one but she is little (and doesn't mind) so in the car it stays.

My 6 yo is going to be TALL (3' 10" today!) but he's still just about 42 lbs. He's taking after my oldest in a big way. Better keep him out of the wind. :D

And yes, I feed them. Plenty. I don't know where it all goes. :001_huh:

Edited by darlasowders

from everything I've read it's the height, leg length and where the belt falls on their hips and collarbone that's important

If this is true, then why don't the laws only mention height? And what about adjustable seat belts? In my husband's car the seat belts slide up and down where the shoulder strap attaches to the car).

In our car it's all about how the seatbelt fits, not how tall/old/heavy you are. If the seatbelt fits at the right place on the collarbone/shoulder, you're safe. Am I missing something more?

I think the carseat *laws* should be minimal.

However, carseat *education* needs a major bump!!! Most parents will give their kids the safest seat they can afford, given they KNOW the risks at hand.

My dc RF until they max out of the weight limit for the seat (Aaron was 2yo when I turned him to FF) and will be in 5pt harness until they max out the weight on those too (my 6yo is still in a 5pt). The Regent I have does 5pt harness up through like 80lbs (I think) and the Graco Nautilus is a 5pt harness up through 65lbs.

I'm only 5ft myself...I technically need a booster b/c the seatbelt doesn't fit me properly. If I were in a wreck the seatbelt would cut across my neck:001_huh: that scares me more than actually getting in a wreck LOL! If I could find a booster for me (the would allow me to reach the gas) I might get it.:lol:

At 11yrs old I was 5'3" and 75 lbs. I didn't reach 80 lbs until I was 12 (never grew any taller). Would you really have a 5'3" dc in a 5 point harness? I can't imagine being as tall as I am and being in a 5 point harness?

If this is true, then why don't the laws only mention height? And what about adjustable seat belts? In my husband's car the seat belts slide up and down where the shoulder strap attaches to the car).

In our car it's all about how the seatbelt fits, not how tall/old/heavy you are. If the seatbelt fits at the right place on the collarbone/shoulder, you're safe. Am I missing something more?

:iagree: This is why I can't figure out why they don't make seat belts to fit elementary aged dc and small adults. Wouldn't you just need to make the seat belt adjust lower until it reaches the proper fit? Even with adjustable seat belts, they don't adjust low enough to fit me properly? I don't see the big deal with making seat belts fit a wider range of body sizes and types.