Menu

What are your current Read-Alouds? (Week of August 9)

Satori

Skipped last week, but I'm learning so many great books from you all, I thought I'd start another thread.

We just wrapped up both Chocolate Fever and Dinotopia. This week we're reading Wonderland by Tommy Kovac, which is actually a comic for young adult age, but my daughter and DH wanted me to read it to them.

After we finish Wonderland, I have Mr. Popper's Penguins lined up next.

Oh, we're in the middle of the first Little House book, but I'm waiting until our trip to Wisconsin to visit grandma/grandpa to finish it! We'll visit any related places on our trip in the next month there. :) And the Wonderland book we're reading now is "alice in wonderland", but about Mary Ann and the White Rabbit.

We just wrapped up both Chocolate Fever and Dinotopia. This week we're reading Wonderland by Tommy Kovac, which is actually a comic for young adult age, but my daughter and DH wanted me to read it to them.

My 7 year old just finished Wonderland. She absolutely loved it.

We're going to start Dr. Doolittle this week. My dh just finished reading The Hobbit to her.

we are in the middle of The Secret Garden and Huckleberry Finn

I'm reading The Secret Garden right now with dd9. We are almost finished, then we will read A Little Princess.

I'm reading At The Little White Cabin with dd6, and The Children of Green Knowe with the boys.

We're missing a lot of reading nights right now just because there is still so much summer fun (county fairs, baseball games, potlucks, etc.). So it's slow going on the read-alouds right now, but we've finished Little House in the Big Woods (seems to be a popular choice this summer!) and have Across Five Aprils and Little Women in progress. Can you tell where we are in the history cycle?

Celandine (second book of The Touchstone Trilogy)

The Black Arrow (a handful of pages left)

The Tail of the Trinosaur -- second time through this week... an epic poem about a dinosaur shipped as a gift to a small township in England

We just finished The Moomins and the Great Flood by Tove Jansson. That particular Moomin book was never published in English, but there's a translation available online. I'm waiting to get the 2nd Moomin book from the library.

In the meantime, we started something else: Ethel Cook Eliot's The House Above the Trees. My almost-6yo daughter and I are both enthralled. :thumbup1:

She and DH are working on The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe.

We are reading Walk the World's Rim and I plan to start Little House in the Big Woods (possibly today) with youngest ds (He just started WWE1 and this book is used for copywork/narrations). There is also a pile of fresh library books on Native Americans and Early American history waiting for us...

Oh, and Seabird will get worked in there this week also.

Guest Cindie2dds

"Farmer Boy" by Laura Ingalls Wilder, collection of stories by Virginia Burton ("Mike Mulligan..," etc.) and Robert McCloskey's collection (Lentil, One Morning in Maine and Make Way for Ducklings). Original fairy tales are thrown in the mix (not the Disney ones).

Next: The complete works of Beatrix Potter, Brer Rabbit, Uncle Wiggily's Storybook, and the Children's Book of Virtues (Plus fairy tales again ~ two girls, you know).

Right now we're going thru The Indian in the Cubboard Series for the the 2nd time. My 13 & 14 yr olds will still listen to it and beg for another chapter even though I chose it for my 8 yr old this time around.

Our family all time favorite book series for read aloud is the Ralph Moody series that starts with Little Britches. We LOVE it!

Deanna

We just finished The Secret Garden, which was a HUGE hit. We watched the DVD after, which wasn't as big of a hit. Also, Alice's Adventure's in Wonderland was very successful, as was the Alice in Wonderland movie.

Now, we are listening to On the Banks of Plum Creek by Laura Ingalls Wilder on tape as we drive around on errands. At home, we are reading The Borrowers by Mary Norton and finishing up The Children's Book of Faith by William Bennet. Bill Bennet's book has been wonderful and my daughter asks so many questions about it. I have been very pleased.

I tried Mary Poppins and Heidi recently and they were not successful for us. I shelved them for later. My daughter just didn't seem to get drawn in by them.

We are about halfway through Griffin's Castle by Jenny Nimmo. I've never read anything by her before -- I am really enjoying it (and DD is, too:001_smile:).

We've just come home from a road trip and in the car listened to Matilda by Roald Dahl and Midnight for Charlie Bone by Jenny Nimmo. We're now listening to the next book in the series, Charlie Bone and the Time Twister and are enjoying it very much! I'd always kind of thought of Charlie Bone as a HP knock-off but it's quite different and very captivating and I am SO glad we gave it a try!

I just finished reading aloud Henry and Beezus by Beverly Cleary and Henry and the Paper Route will be next.