Menu

What is the best advice you would give to a new homeschooling mom?

You don't have to do everything the first day, month or year.

:iagree:

Additionally, play is important. Don't underestimate how much your little people are learning by just playing together.

Reading with your children can make up for so many things that aren't covered in text books.

Learning can be fun, but it isn't always fun (math facts are important, even though they are boring).

Let your children enjoy being children.

They do not have to learn Spanish, French and Latin by the age of 7.

Play, play and play. Do messy art projects together. Visit the library often. Read lots of books out loud together.

Take lots of field trips.

Have fun!!

Definitely take it seriously, but don't take it so seriously that you don't have fun with them while they are young. The world is your oyster when you have children that age, seriously!! What I wouldn't give to go back and just have a blast with my kids, learning while exploring. I'd spend less time on the academics of it (workbooky type things) and more time and the joy of learning. I'd read aloud to them much more and do much more hands-on. We'd go on more field trips and enjoy that short time time that they don't have to be focused on getting ready for college, etc. My oldest are 9th and 6th graders, and I feel I wasted too much time worrying that I wasn't doing enough rather than just enjoying them and having fun with the learning.

Definitely take it seriously, but don't take it so seriously that you don't have fun with them while they are young. The world is your oyster when you have children that age, seriously!! What I wouldn't give to go back and just have a blast with my kids, learning while exploring. I'd spend less time on the academics of it (workbooky type things) and more time and the joy of learning. I'd read aloud to them much more and do much more hands-on. We'd go on more field trips and enjoy that short time time that they don't have to be focused on getting ready for college, etc. My oldest are 9th and 6th graders, and I feel I wasted too much time worrying that I wasn't doing enough rather than just enjoying them and having fun with the learning.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Even if it feels as if you should be working through a curriculum there should always be time for reading and crafting and hiking in the woods and baking cookies and making homemade playdough and gardening etc etc.

Don't waste energy trying to convince family and friends that it's the best choice, or even a viable choice. Just nod and smile, then pass the bean dip. The only thing that will convince stubborn naysayers is time. A few years down the road you'll probably be pleasantly surprised when you realize they're not only tolerating of your homeschooling, but approving it too. It took my inlaws about five or six years to go from "That's a horrible idea!" to being able to hold a real conversation about it without squirming uncomfortably. ;)

Work on obedience.

Read aloud a lot.

Practice having "table time" before you start having "school." This will help teach them to do the games YOU specify during table time and to take turns with Mom's attention. For this training, I brought out lacing cards, Play-Doh, coloring with markers/crayons, and other craft kind of projects.

When you start doing "school," start with one subject and do it consistently at the same time every day for a week or two. When that is going well, add another subject. And so on. This is way better than jumping in with all of the subjects.

Make a routine/schedule and keep to it. Young children do best with routine when they know what to expect. This will cut down on arguments from the children and will help you move forward with momentum on days when one or more of you are under the weather. The schedule doesn't have to be "to the minute." Our routine is get ready, at 8:30am start math, then do Latin, then break around 10am, then logic, language, etc., until lunch at noon, then writing and history/science. We have those breaks and checkpoints and a rough outline, but no one is watching to see if Math takes 50 minutes instead of 45 minutes, for example.

Curriculum totally depends on what you're looking for. There are so many out there! Do you want something that's mostly planned out? Do you want something you can piece together? Do you want Christian or secular? To give you any sort of curriculum advice, we'd all need more information :)

Something that was new this past year that many homeschoolers tried with varying degrees of success was Sue Patrick's workbox system. It's a way to organize your homeschool, and give visual cues to your children so they know what's coming next. If you do a search on the forum, you'll find TONS of threads on it. I used it at the tail-end of last year with my kids (they were both doing kindergarten), and I'm using it with them this year. People either seem to love it, or feel that it's too much work. We're in the "love it" camp!

Practice having "table time" before you start having "school." This will help teach them to do the games YOU specify during table time and to take turns with Mom's attention. For this training, I brought out lacing cards, Play-Doh, coloring with markers/crayons, and other craft kind of projects.

When you start doing "school," start with one subject and do it consistently at the same time every day for a week or two. When that is going well, add another subject. And so on. This is way better than jumping in with all of the subjects.

Make a routine/schedule and keep to it. Young children do best with routine when they know what to expect. This will cut down on arguments from the children and will help you move forward with momentum on days when one or more of you are under the weather. The schedule doesn't have to be "to the minute." Our routine is get ready, at 8:30am start math, then do Latin, then break around 10am, then logic, language, etc., until lunch at noon, then writing and history/science. We have those breaks and checkpoints and a rough outline, but no one is watching to see if Math takes 50 minutes instead of 45 minutes, for example.

This is wonderful advice! Excellent ideas--I'll definitely be incorporating these. I, too, am a new-to-homeschooling mom. We haven't even exactly started yet (my eldest is 4) and I still manage to get myself feeling overwhelmed just thinking about the scope of homeschooling. These reminders and good ideas help keep me calm and sane. :)

Relax and enjoy! Homeschooling is fun, so don't get upset if you don't accomplish everything on your list this year. You will be soooo surprised at what they learn that was not on your list. ;)

Don't argue with family over your choice. It is your choice, your kids, and they will come around!

Something I learned when I taught preschool is that routine is key for little ones. You do not have to do everything at exactly the same time, but if you keep the order the same, the kids always know what to expect and what is coming next and everything goes so much smoother. This is especially important if you have kids who need that kind of structure!

Don't waste energy trying to convince family and friends that it's the best choice, or even a viable choice. Just nod and smile, then pass the bean dip. The only thing that will convince stubborn naysayers is time. A few years down the road you'll probably be pleasantly surprised when you realize they're not only tolerating of your homeschooling, but approving it too. It took my inlaws about five or six years to go from "That's a horrible idea!" to being able to hold a real conversation about it without squirming uncomfortably. ;)

Thank you so much for this! My single biggest fear going forward this year is about my in-laws and how they will handle us homeschooling. I guess I need to let that go!

A quote that has stuck with me: Your kids will tell you how they need to learn.

I wish I had understood this sooner. I like the goals in TWTM, but I have 2 kids who are dyslexic, so we have to take a different route to get there. Maybe that's another way of saying that if something (a curriculum, a methodology, a schedule, whatever) isn't working, don't be afraid to ditch it.

This is my first year ....I appreciate any advice in curriculums , planning , organizing , etc. I have a 6 yrs old , a 4 , 3 and an infant.

My best advice: Relax. Rome wasn't built in a day. Burn-out doesn't do anyone any favours.

Well, looks like everyone already covered what I was going to say. Your children are young and just needs lots of loving, reading to them, hugging, playing, helping in the kitchen, doing crafts, etc. You are beginning on a wonderful journey so I suggest you enjoy the ride with your children. After 23 years of homeschooling 12 children I am still enjoying every moment of being with my loves.:001_smile:

Curriculum totally depends on what you're looking for. There are so many out there! Do you want something that's mostly planned out? Do you want something you can piece together? Do you want Christian or secular? To give you any sort of curriculum advice, we'd all need more information :)

I was also going to say the best advice I have after 2 years is to read and research different educational philosophies in the beginning. If you find a philosophy/approach that you really resonate with that will really help give you direction in your home school.

When I read "For the Children's Sake" I was amazed at how much I found myself agreeing with - and discovered that I like to follow a Charlotte Mason method of teaching. That realization has really helped me find curriculum and methods of teaching that 'click' with me.

This is a marathon, not a race. I wish I had slowed down in those early years and enjoyed my son more, I have done that with my dds and it's worked better (although homeschooling ds has been a huge success). Ds and I spent a lot of time on things that he didn't remember when he was introduced to it again in Middle school. I wish I had done more art and science experiments with him during elementary!

Put your family first and homeschooling second. Take the days you can and go play in the park. Spend most of September on field trips, there is no one else there that month.

Realize that either the house will be clean, you will play with your kids, or you will get all the school work done. Very rarely will more than two of these things happen in a day, and usually only one will get done. Ask yourself: Which is the priority?

Enjoy, and welcome. You will find the homeshooling community to be an amazing place. We are all diverse and independently minded, but we have your back.

Melissa

The library is your friend! Not just books, but books on cd, music, movies, language cds, enough computers for all the kids etc.

Get outside! Climb trees, play in creeks, use magnifying glasses to get a closer look at the world.

Don't bring your problems into the classroom. Give your heart and soul to creating a happy, peaceful, productive environment, and your kids will follow in suit.

most everyone has freak out days where they think they are most definitely ruining their kids for life

ignore that....it passes usually within 24 hours.

If not... come here, these ladies, (and gentlemen) will straighten you right out:)

Have fun!!!

Don't bring your problems into the classroom. Give your heart and soul to creating a happy, peaceful, productive environment, and your kids will follow in suit.

I love this advice. Thanks! :001_smile:

My advice echoes that of what others have already said. Plus, read, read, read. Instill a love of reading in your children. When I was a child, my mom always told me that if I could read, I could learn/do anything. That still inspires me.

One of my main goals as a homeschooling mother is to guide my children to become life-long learners. So, with that in mind, I feel it's very important to instill in my kids a genuine love for learning.

I absolutely LOVE teaching my children and learning alongside them....and I let them know it! Enthusiasm is contagious. When my kids see my delight at teaching them something new, they are more apt to WANT to learn.

An incredible advantage we have as homeschoolers is being able to tailor our teaching to our children's interests and learning styles. Two of my children are Civil War buffs----they spend a lot of time reading, watching movies, researching, and discussing this time period.

Let your children (especially as they become older) offer their input into curricula choices. It has been my experience that my kids become more active, willing, (and happy!) participants in their education when they see how much I value their opinions.

Probably most important of all---enjoy and be thankful for every moment you have teaching your children (even those moments when you want to pull all your hair out....and you will have those;)); read aloud to them, play with them, learn with them!

Edited by Imprimis

I agree with what everyone else has said.

Especially, for us, having a routine has been wonderful. It gives kids stability, it means they can get used to doing a little academics every day (for us, first thing in the morning), so as the amount grows over the years, it is still just the same routine.

And then, with a routine, be flexible enough to take days off if an opportunity comes up to go somewhere, or you have a headache etc

Another suggestion is to start reading highschool stuff now. Learn some Latin now- not the whole language, just start before your kids so you have some perspective. Read SWB's history books- they are readable. Just gently, over the next few years, add them in to your own schedule, your own reading. It will make such a difference once the kids get up there.

I have found I could keep up with the kids middle school reading because the books are still fairly easily readable for me and even fun- but when it gets to highschool, it gets harder and heavier.

Not to make this a chore...just gently start your own education.

I haven't done it much, by the way...I started later and always felt I was struggling just to keep up with the kids. Always peddling so fast. Always feeling I my kids and I were "behind". In retrospect, I should have relaxed even then, had some more fun with them, not worried about doing everything, and read ahead more. However, even so, I have gained an amazing education just learning alongside them anyway.

Start up slowly. With younger children, just begin with reading, writing and maths. Everything else can be added in slowly.

Don't forget to smile, snuggle and enjoy yourself.

Be prepared to have a messy house while you work out how to both teach and house keep. Your children are more important than an immaculate home.

Best wishes

Laura

Make a schedule and stick to it. I know a lot of people will disagree - freedom to do your own thing and all... but....this is the ONE thing that helps me the most. I HATE it when we're behind because then I have to make a judgement call every time something outside of school comes up. If we are on track, I feel free to let one day go...we can easily make up one day. If we are two weeks behind, not so much.

I am just repeating the advice to keep a relaxed routine and build it up slowly.

With dc young and close in age, teach to the oldest and let the youngers listen in while they play....it's amazing how much they "absorb.";) Teach your oldest to focus amidst the chaos (siblings playing/laughing) for short periods of time....save the subject that is hardest for a quiet time in the day (early morning or nap time...or even after Daddy gets home from work).

Consider outdoor playtime and lots of time reading aloud vital school hours!:001_smile:

Small things, done consistently over time, lead to big accomplishments.

Remember that you are the Mommy.

Get comfortable with your children's discomfort when you are disciplining.

Give them large chunks of unscheduled time when they are young so they learn to get creative when they feel bored.

Limit screens. Real interactions with people are important--so are books.

Take care of your own needs--remember the oxygen mask in the plane goes on you first, then you can help your child.

Develop a flow. Don't stress if something takes a little longer or a little shorter than you've planned.

School at home doesn't have to look like school, but it can.

Some struggle is necessary.

Everyday, look at them and remember how very much you love them. They will be gone so soon! Mine is going to college, and boy, I can't believe it's time to let him go.

Another suggestion is to start reading highschool stuff now. Learn some Latin now- not the whole language, just start before your kids so you have some perspective. Read SWB's history books- they are readable. Just gently, over the next few years, add them in to your own schedule, your own reading. It will make such a difference once the kids get up there.

Great advice! I never thought about high school reading. I'm a fast reader, so I figured I'd stay ahead of them, but you're right--I probably can only do that through middle school. My other responsibilities will get in the way to stay adequately ahead when they're at the high school level.

My kids are 4 and 6 today. I'm going to check out some traditional hs classics from the library when I'm there tomorrow. And in 10 years, maybe I'll be ready...:D

Two things:

I loved this by Robin in Tx from the old board:

"Sometimes we get bogged down in the day to day specifics and lose sight of the goal. The most helpful thing I've ever done is continually ask myself "why?" about every single textbook and/or program. Why do I want to do that program? And here's the most important question ... What foundation is it laying for our next level? If it honestly and clearly doesn't play a role as a stepping stone to our final goal, then I have to walk away from it."

Secondly, one of the biggest lessons I have learned is not to buy curriculum based on a recommendation unless the person has actually *used* and *finished* the program! There is a honeymoon stage that homeschoolers go through with new curriculum. Do not run out and buy anything immediately after an encounter with a person in this stage. LOL!

Edited by Heather in WI

As much as possible:

Save your money for real books and stay away from curriculum purchases.

Use the library often.

Try to have a reasonable routine that can be accomplished daily. Feast and famine routines where one day you go all out followed by nothing at all will cause discontent. Consistency will rule over time, even if it is little by little.

Janell

Two things:

I loved this by Robin in Tx from the old board:

"Sometimes we get bogged down in the day to day specifics and lose sight of the goal. The most helpful thing I've ever done is continually ask myself "why?" about every single textbook and/or program. Why do I want to do that program? And here's the most important question ... What foundation is it laying for our next level? If it honestly and clearly doesn't play a role as a stepping stone to our final goal, then I have to walk away from it."

Secondly, one of the biggest lessons I have learned is not to buy curriculum based on a recommendation unless the person has actually *used* and *finished* the program! There is a honeymoon stage that homeschoolers go through with new curriculum. Do not run out and buy anything immediately after an encounter with a person in this stage. LOL!

Really wise words here... :001_smile:

Small things, done consistently over time, lead to big accomplishments.

Remember that you are the Mommy.

Get comfortable with your children's discomfort when you are disciplining.

Give them large chunks of unscheduled time when they are young so they learn to get creative when they feel bored.

Limit screens. Real interactions with people are important--so are books.

Take care of your own needs--remember the oxygen mask in the plane goes on you first, then you can help your child.

Develop a flow. Don't stress if something takes a little longer or a little shorter than you've planned.

School at home doesn't have to look like school, but it can.

Some struggle is necessary.

Everyday, look at them and remember how very much you love them. They will be gone so soon! Mine is going to college, and boy, I can't believe it's time to let him go.

All great advice, particularly about small things done over time. I realized how just one lesson at a time got my kid through K and first grade and to the level or beyond where he needs to be.

Put your family first and homeschooling second. Take the days you can and go play in the park. Spend most of September on field trips, there is no one else there that month.

Realize that either the house will be clean, you will play with your kids, or you will get all the school work done. Very rarely will more than two of these things happen in a day, and usually only one will get done. Ask yourself: Which is the priority?

Enjoy, and welcome. You will find the homeshooling community to be an amazing place. We are all diverse and independently minded, but we have your back.

Melissa

Thanks so much for posting this! I need to post this on the fridge to remind myself daily.

Additionally, play is important. Don't underestimate how much your little people are learning by just playing together.

Reading with your children can make up for so many things that aren't covered in text books.

Learning can be fun, but it isn't always fun (math facts are important, even though they are boring).

:iagree::iagree:

This is my first year ....I appreciate any advice in curriculums , planning , organizing , etc. I have a 6 yrs old , a 4 , 3 and an infant.

as far as specific curriculum, depends on what you want...do you like to do your own thing or do you like it laid out for you? The Well-Trained Mind gives guidelines for each age and even curric. suggestions for each subject. Or you could go with something like Sonlight, which is mostly organized for you...an all-in-one kind of approach.

I don't think it's a bad idea to buy a boxed curriculum when you're just starting out. It helps you get organized and then you have something to compare to other approaches.