Menu

It's official: I must be a PRUDE.

On the way home from piano lessons yesterday, while we were stopped at a red light, there were some people at the intersection collecting money for breast cancer. We were more than happy to donate and did so. But the guy collecting the money was wearing a t-shirt that said "I LOVE BOOBS" in big bold letters. :confused:

It took me a second to realize WHY he was wearing the shirt. But still. My 10yo ds says "Does that guy's shirt say what I think it says?" The guy on the other corner's t-shirt said "Save the Ta-Ta's"

I realize this is all for a good cause, but really? Do they have to wear shirts like that? It seems kind of tacky.

On the way home from piano lessons yesterday, while we were stopped at a red light, there were some people at the intersection collecting money for breast cancer. We were more than happy to donate and did so. But the guy collecting the money was wearing a t-shirt that said "I LOVE BOOBS" in big bold letters. :confused:

It took me a second to realize WHY he was wearing the shirt. But still. My 10yo ds says "Does that guy's shirt say what I think it says?" The guy on the other corner's t-shirt said "Save the Ta-Ta's"

I realize this is all for a good cause, but really? Do they have to wear shirts like that? It seems kind of tacky.

I have seen the "Save the ta-tas" A LOT and for a few years. I have found people that love it, & those that think its tacky. The "I LOVE BOOBS" is a no-brainer which side it is on to me...

Breast cancer isn't about loving boobs and saving "ta tas." It's about saving the lives of women who don't want to die - women with children, husbands, friends, parents and siblings who love them.

I think it's tacky. I think it's stupid. And I think it's insulting.

*sigh* What a shame they couldn't come up with a classier way to be clever about it. It's a good cause, and it deserves better than a cheap joke.

Breast cancer is far too serious an issue to cheapen the pain it causes by being cutesy. I'd not want to donate to people wearing tacky shirts. It seems very disrespectful to those who've suffered.

Breast cancer isn't about loving boobs and saving "ta tas." It's about saving the lives of women who don't want to die - women with children, husbands, friends, parents and siblings who love them.

I think it's tacky. I think it's stupid. And I think it's insulting.

:iagree:

Breast cancer is far too serious an issue to cheapen the pain it causes by being cutesy. I'd not want to donate to people wearing tacky shirts. It seems very disrespectful to those who've suffered.

I can understand that, but what about the survivors who wear them? I know quite a few, myself.

I'm sure that no one - breast survivor or not - is being intentionally hurtful or insulting. They all have good intentions - after all, they are all out there trying to raise money for the cause so these are the *friends* of breast cancer victims - not the enemies.

Nevertheless, I know one breast cancer survivor who told me that she actually pulled over on the side of the road in a crying rage the first time she saw that. She was fighting for her life and these people were acting like saving "ta tas" was the point. I think people really need to think about whether that's what they want to project.

Prude here. I think as people who likely never experienced breast cancer (THEY WERE MEN!), that was a mockery!

IMO, if a woman who has battled breast cancer (or a man...men can get it too, but it is rare) wants to wear one as a survivor, I would be less likely to say a word! But, for a man to put it on to raise money...it is kind of like making a joke of the cancer.

Can you imagine giving to a colon cancer foundation whose slogan was "Save the poop chute!" ????

I have a dear friend whose mother was misdiagnosed with bursitis and died of breast cancer at 40, back in the early 70s. Hearing my friend's stories, it's amazing to me that just 30 years ago no one would say "breasts" or "cancer" and that the whole process, diagnosis, treatment, was such a nightmare.

I have no problem with raising awareness, or with the term boobs when used in a certain context. A part of me feels like we should love breasts. I mean, I do. Think how amazing they are! We should love them not as objects but as life sustaining wonders. But. It's a shame to me that in trying to raise awareness about breast cancer, we still objectify women by loving the boobs instead of the women.

I'm sure that no one - breast survivor or not - is being intentionally hurtful or insulting. They all have good intentions - after all, they are all out there trying to raise money for the cause so these are the *friends* of breast cancer victims - not the enemies.

Nevertheless, I know one breast cancer survivor who told me that she actually pulled over on the side of the road in a crying rage the first time she saw that. She was fighting for her life and these people were acting like saving "ta tas" was the point. I think people really need to think about whether that's what they want to project.

Thanks for putting this into words for me. I was thinking "Aren't we supposed to be saving the WOMEN not the boobs? And doesn't breast cancer treatment sometimes involve removing the boobs in order to save the woman? So is this about boobs or women? Or are we still one in the same?"

*sigh* What a shame they couldn't come up with a classier way to be clever about it.

I'm not offended, but it is without wit, and someone ought to come up with something more clever. Might we round up some ideas to replace this?

So, I'm not a prude, I'm a *high-brow* :lol:.

"Aren't we supposed to be saving the WOMEN not the boobs? And doesn't breast cancer treatment sometimes involve removing the boobs in order to save the woman? So is this about boobs or women? Or are we still one in the same?"

:iagree:Prude here as well. I'm soooooooo tired of everything being played into s*xual innuendo. Burger King commercials, etc.

My dh was telling a man he works with about our ds11 being attacked by our cat. The man's response----------

"Well, you don't think he's gonna' be p*ssy shy now, do you?"

How does everything now go back to s*x!!!

:rant:

Rant over...

Kim

Maybe they were trying to get more males to donate:confused:since woman are the traditional supporters of breast cancer research and treatment. While I do find it refreshing to see men collecting money, I would agree the t-shirts are a bit on the tacky side. Would women wear "Save the B*lls" for testicular cancer... most likely not.

Maybe they were trying to get more males to donate:confused:since woman are the traditional supporters of breast cancer research and treatment. While I do find it refreshing to see men collecting money, I would agree the t-shirts are a bit on the tacky side. Would women wear "Save the B*lls" for testicular cancer... most likely not.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

B*ll (not always a PRUDE, I guess :D)

I guess the idea behind the shirts is that with more research, we could hopefully get to a point where women would not have to have mastectomies. I get their idea, just don't care for the presentation.

I'm afraid we're living in a society that is just too desensitized, male and female. I'm sure most would be fine with a "Save the B*lls" shirt. You probably should trademark that now!

Kim

Yesterday we had our big end-of-the-year fundraiser for our nursery school coop. And to cap a wonderful fun-filled day for the kids we got the news that one of our Moms (who had been under a breast-cancer threat in the past week) had received her lab results that day.

The mammogram had found suspicious cells. They turned out to be the type that were pre-cancerous. They caught it very early. She will have a surgery, but it will be minimal.

There was so much joy in all our hearts.

Ah, I'm tearing up........

My SIL, who just had a double mastectomy a few months ago, proudly sports her "Feel Your Boobies" t-shirt and car magnet. She actually purchased them for all the family members. We wear them with pride.

I suppose it does make light of a serious disease but I have found one the best ways to raise awareness is lo-brow humour.

I agree with Danestress, but then I don't like this kind of thing in any arena. Vulgarity is not my style.

The shirt slogans actually remind me of the character of Jennifer from Valley of the Dolls, who committed suicide instead of getting a mastectomy when her fiance seemed to make it clear he loved her breasts more than her.

I must be a prude too. I have never seen those in Canada and maybe they don't exist. I find that very, very distasteful.

:iagree:I am in the prude camp! I think it would be very offensive to those that have gone through this decease.

I would think something like help us save our wives,gf,mother, sister, aunt etc. would be much more appropriate. BC is much more then what these infer.

Besides this was on a public street with families driving by. They are lude.

*sigh* What a shame they couldn't come up with a classier way to be clever about it. It's a good cause, and it deserves better than a cheap joke.

:iagree::iagree: My mom had breast cancer last year and I am happy to say that it appears to be completely gone now.:) While she was going through it though and we would talk, she would tell me her feelings about having a mastectomy or the fear of losing her hair with the chemo. It may seem shallow to some, but going through it vicariously with her I can see how much of a woman's "womanhood" and feelings of femininity are wrapped up in things like breasts and hair. She was so extremely vulnerable emotionally during that time. I think it is great that those men wanted to get involved to help raise money for a cure, but those t-shirts are in very poor taste IMO. I wish they could find something that gives more respect to the brave women who are battling the disease. I guess I'm a prude too.

Edited by Ibbygirl

I can understand that, but what about the survivors who wear them? I know quite a few, myself.

I still think it cheapens what they went through.

I'm coming from this place: my best friend died in January of IBC. She SUFFERED. When she died, the cancer was in her lungs, liver, bones, blood, everywhere. This was after her double mastectomy. It wasn't about her "boobies" anymore. I just think being flip about it is wrong.

Breast cancer runs in my family, through my mom's side.

IMO, though, you are not a prude...that type of advertisement is vulgar, rude, and pointless when there are classy and intelligent ways to say the same thing. I would give to breast cancer, and I would be involved in race for the cure, but I'd have a hard time giving $$ to anyone wearing one of those shirts. I just find that type of thing offensive and ridiculous...especially if my children are around.

I still think it cheapens what they went through.

I'm coming from this place: my best friend died in January of IBC. She SUFFERED. When she died, the cancer was in her lungs, liver, bones, blood, everywhere. This was after her double mastectomy. It wasn't about her "boobies" anymore. I just think being flip about it is wrong.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: I am so so sorry to hear about your dear friend. :( What a brave woman. Reading your post brought tears to my eyes! Man how I HATE cancer!!

My SIL, who just had a double mastectomy a few months ago, proudly sports her "Feel Your Boobies" t-shirt and car magnet. She actually purchased them for all the family members. We wear them with pride.

I think this one IS humourous and in good taste.

Feel your Boobies is a call to self examination. The other T shirts put the breasts over the woman and her life (in my opinion).

Feel your Boobies is a call to self examination. The other T shirts put the breasts over the woman and her life (in my opinion).

:iagree::iagree: I was going to say something along those lines, but you said

it much better than I could have. Thanks. :)

Yes, exactly. One is a silly (and mildly vulgar, but to me, inoffensive) way of reminding people to be vigilant. The other makes it sound as if all that's at stake is, well, "boobs" or "tatas" -- words that imply these things are mere sexual toys -- not women, mothers, sisters...

:iagree:

I wouldn't have donated because of the shirts. Calling breasts anything else really bothers me. I think that part of the reason breasts are so sexualized, and why breastfeeding is so stigmatized, is because of our language. I once read a woman on a parenting forum who was appalled that anyone would breastfeed a baby for more than a few weeks. It didn't surprise me that she thought older infants breastfeeding was child abuse when she was grossed out by "toddlers sucking on titties".

I once read a woman on a parenting forum who was appalled that anyone would breastfeed a baby for more than a few weeks. It didn't surprise me that she thought older infants breastfeeding was child abuse when she was grossed out by "toddlers sucking on titties".

Wow!! I've never heard anything like that before. If anything breastmilk is God's plan for feeding an infant. I can't think of anything more natural, but to think of breastfeeding as child abuse is completely bizarre to me!! :eek:

I probably would have given that lady a heart attack if she knew I breastfed my son until he was 5 years old! :eek: It wasn't my idea to feed him that long, honestly, I didn't want to go longer than a year, but he has Autism and he wouldn't drink ANYTHING other than breastmilk or apple juice. No formula, goats milk, chocolate milk, stawberry milk, soy milk, rice milk... nada. So I fed him until he weaned himself. He only drinks juice and occasionally water now. Even though I never wanted to nurse that long, I'm glad that I did for his sake.

Wow!! I've never heard anything like that before. If anything breastmilk is God's plan for feeding an infant. I can't think of anything more natural, but to think of breastfeeding as child abuse is completely bizarre to me!! :eek:

I probably would have given that lady a heart attack if she knew I breastfed my son until he was 5 years old! :eek: It wasn't my idea to feed him that long, honestly, I didn't want to go longer than a year, but he has Autism and he wouldn't drink ANYTHING other than breastmilk or apple juice. No formula, goats milk, chocolate milk, stawberry milk, soy milk, rice milk... nada. So I fed him until he weaned himself. He only drinks juice and occasionally water now. Even though I never wanted to nurse that long, I'm glad that I did for his sake.

I just want to say I think it is awesome that you would do that for your son!

He's blessed to have a mom like you.

Bill

I guess I'm a prude, too. It's been said before in this thread, but I would choose a different organization to which I would donate solely based upon their tactics.

I do remember one thing from High School "News & Media Analysis" class: "The medium IS the message." Words must be chosen wisely or else they take over the message itself.