Menu

how many languages do you speak?

Novice: ASL, Cherokee, Spanish, and Latin...with a brief intro's to German and Italian. I can also recognise some French (written), but not speak it. As a child, we were taught Chamarro (mix of Chamarro, Spanish, and English) when attending the DOD school in Guam. In my early childhood, I was able to speak some Geechee, but lost that ability after age 5 or 6 due to military moves and my being banned from speaking it further (my stepdad had issues).

Yes, the children are learning as well: ASL, Cherokee, Latin...and soon they will be working on Spanish again as we've moved into a heavily populated Hispanic area.

Edited by mommaduck

Novice: ASL, Cherokee, Spanish, and Latin...with a brief intro's to German and Italian. I can also recognise some French (written), but not speak it. As a child, we were taught Chamarro when attending the DOD school in Guam.

Yes, the children are learning as well.

Are you Cherokee or are you just fond of this language/culture?

Are you Cherokee or are you just fond of this language/culture?

My husband and I are both part Cherokee. It's a side that we can strongly relate to.

Our goal is to be fluent in ASL and Cherokee with Spanish running a close up...my husband already understands Spanish and can speak some as he spent a lot of time as a kid with his best friend's family (from Spain) and only Spanish was permitted in their home.

Edited by mommaduck

I'm bilingual and "superior" in Afrikaans and English. These are 2 of the 11 official languages of South Africa. Afrikaans was my first language and I was immersed in English from age 4 (pre-school).

Intermediate in Dutch. I can read and understand everything, am understood when I speak, but I have a really hard time writing it - especially with the grammar.

Novice in German.

I speak French and English fluently.

French is my native language.

I started taking English as an 8th grader in France, spent my Junior year of college abroad in Saint-Louis and 2 years later moved to the US with my husband. We have been living here for almost 12 years now.

I have a novice level in German at this point, which is pretty sad since I took German from 6th grade till the end of high school and used to be able to handle a day to day conversation pretty easily. I think if you were to drop me off in the middle of Germany it would come back eventually.

I was going to post that I used to be advanced in Cuban. :D I grew up in S. FL. and learned to speak it that way, but I cannot read or write much. *I* thought I was speaking Spanish all along until I went to Chile and was informed that what I was speaking was NOT Spanish! :lol:

LOL I can't imagine a Chileno's face the first time you ask him where you can catch the "gua gua". lol Ay, you should watch this video. I think you'll get a kick out of it. I almost fell out of my chair laughing when I saw it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpoYG-e_g2U

I used to speak Japanese fairly well - never as well as Jean. I am rusty now but can still get along.

If your goal is to speak Japanese on a level that you can understand most conversations and make yourself understood in most situations, I think Japanese is a pretty easy language. It's hard to achieve reading and writing fluency, and it's hard to master the subtleties. It's hard to be really socially just right. But as someone who could never cope with French because of the accent, I must say Japanese was a great relief.

Russian and Chinese were deemed the hardest to learn but Japanese was right up there. Of course, I can't find the link right now but the research referred to the amount of time it took a native speaker to become literate.

In my experience, Japanese was easy to start - it took no time to be functional at a very basic level. However, it's apparently very, very difficult to become fluent. I never got close to that.

I do recall reading about a 19th century missionary who said that Japanese was invented by the devil to prevent missionaries from teaching them.

I do recall reading about a 19th century missionary who said that Japanese was invented by the devil to prevent missionaries from teaching them.

LOL That's funny. Ironically that's how I feel about Polish sometimes. It's so difficult to get to even a very rudimentary working level in the language (for me anyway :D)!

LOL That's funny. Ironically that's how I feel about Polish sometimes. It's so difficult to get to even a very rudimentary working level in the language (for me anyway :D)!

We so appreciate when people are trying to learn our language!!!

How did you learn Mandarin?

Then ended up spending most of 23 years in and out of Asia. I didn't spend all that time speaking Mandarin, but lived and worked in the language for quite a period of time on top of two years of intensive study. We only moved back to Scotland from China last year. You can see my old blog here.

Laura

German at Superior Level when I am concentrating. It is my native language but after having spent twenty plus years in the U.S, I am sometimes more "superior" in English.

French at an Intermediate Level at best ;)

My DS was not interested in learning any languages but ended up studying German for his college requirement. I am sure he chose it because he knew he could get some help at home. :glare:

Bore da, Pooh Bear!

I'm learning Welsh on a BBC website. I've finished level 1, and can greet people and introduce myself. But that's it.

How do you ask for a cup of tea in Welsh?

Dach chi isio panad?

My family is from North Wales, which pronounces Welsh differently than South Wales.

I wish I could have grown up in Wales. All my cousins learned Welsh from the moment they started school. Most of their elementary school lessons where completely done in Welsh. None of the grown ups in the family can speak Welsh except for my great Nain

May I ask why you are learning Welsh? It's not a language a lot of people would pick. The 'dd' and 'f' trip a lot of people up.

Actually in Poland you can take one semester or one year courses of Oxford British or American English...and it's not only pronunciation...

Tak. I was talking to my cousin when over there. She said "ass" for some reason (can't remember what we were talking about" and my jaw dropped. This is not a word Australians use when talking to people they've only just met, even if they are cousins. Then I remembered she learns American English and relaxed :)

Rosie

In my experience, Japanese was easy to start - it took no time to be functional at a very basic level. However, it's apparently very, very difficult to become fluent. I never got close to that.

Aren't all languages like that? Well, I say languages, but I guess it is culture more than language. It is impossible for me (a hearing person) to attain native like proficiency in Auslan.

Rosie

We so appreciate when people are trying to learn our language!!!

Ha! My aunt dragged me along to visit some third cousins who I'd never heard of and who'd never heard of me. They asked if I spoke any Polish and she said I knew "dzien dobry" and "borscht." Cheeky old woman. On the way home I lectured her in Polish heraldic practise, and she was shocked I knew more than her. Heheh. "Herby" is not usually a word in a beginner's vocab ;)

Rosie

Guest Virginia Dawn

Novice: Italian

Intermediate: Spanish, but it would only take being in a daily talking situation to push me into advanced.

Because that is where I live:001_smile:

They are fairly similar. In Sweden technically it is also part of the national curriculum to learn some Norwegian and some Danish. Norwegian is easier for me to understand than Danish.

Same thing in DK; it is part of our curriculum to read something in Norwegian and Swedish with Norwegian being much easier to understand.

Dach chi isio panad?

My family is from North Wales, which pronounces Welsh differently than South Wales.

I wish I could have grown up in Wales. All my cousins learned Welsh from the moment they started school. Most of their elementary school lessons where completely done in Welsh. None of the grown ups in the family can speak Welsh except for my great Nain

May I ask why you are learning Welsh? It's not a language a lot of people would pick. The 'dd' and 'f' trip a lot of people up.

I'm learning Welsh from South Wales! On the website you could pick either North or South, and I didn't know which was more common. So I picked randomly. :)

I'm doing okay with the sounds so far, but I struggle with the "ll". :)

A lot of my family come from Wales, and I like how it sounds. I've no one here with whom to speak, so that's a downer. :) But it's fun, and I enjoy the lessons. I hope that my boys will pick up on some of it as well.

My native language is Papiamento.

English: Superior

Spanish: Advanced

Dutch: Intermediate (used to be Superior -- it's been 12 years!)

French: Novice (used to be Intermediate -- also been 12 years)

Portuguese: Novice (took one class in college, aced it, spoke it)

I want to learn to speak Italian! :) I have Rosetta Stone and dh and I are learning, but we haven't done it in a long time :tongue_smilie:

Oh yeah, and I'll be learning Latin alongside ds and dd when the time comes!

Edited by sagira
6 Languages

I'm learning Welsh from South Wales! On the website you could pick either North or South, and I didn't know which was more common. So I picked randomly. :)

I'm doing okay with the sounds so far, but I struggle with the "ll". :)

A lot of my family come from Wales, and I like how it sounds. I've no one here with whom to speak, so that's a downer. :) But it's fun, and I enjoy the lessons. I hope that my boys will pick up on some of it as well.

I love how Welsh sounds. That is one of the things that I do miss about the UK. Hearing Welsh and seeing all the roads signs in English and Welsh.

The LL sound does take some practice. Try saying these towns

Dolgellau

Llanelli

Llanylltyd

I only really speak one language--English. I took three years of Spanish in high school and a couple years in college, but I feel as though I never really learned it (despite getting straight A’s). I can read a little of it and recognize some words, but I could never hold a conversation. I’m just starting to learn Latin and really enjoy that.

Tell me, why did you write that? Just curious. :001_huh:

Sonja

Yes, Jean is right. That's why I asked. If you were at an advanced level, it is still in there. I was at an advanced level with both German and Spanish, and then didn't speak either for about 10 years. When I started again, it came back. The definition given in this thread for novice is "the ability to communicate minimally in highly predictable common daily situations with previously learned words and phrases." That means only being able to say set phrases: exchange greetings, ask how you are, ask how much something costs in a store, etc. IMO, the only way someone could go from advanced to novice is if they had some kind of accident or brain injury. So I was just wondering what your situation was, why you felt you were only at a novice level. Sorry if it bothered you! :grouphug:

:lol: Goodness! And I bet you have stories!

Mostly people laughing at whatever I've said. I did tell someone once that all my horses were at home taking showers.

And I've learned the first thing you need to learn to say is "Excuse me, I'm sorry, please pardon my ignorance."

I'm probably an intermediate in German these days. I was an exchange student to Germany many years age. My memorable mistake was telling an Alaskan hunting story and using the word meaning sh*t instead of shoot. :lol:

LOL Ooops! hehehe