Menu

Has anyone been to Iceland?

Hannah

If you've been to Iceland, when did you go?  For how long were you there?  How did you get around?  Where did you stay?  What were the highlights?

What did you wish you'd known before getting there?

Edited by Hannah

About 25 years ago I went on a one-week Outdoor Activities course in Iceland. We went on a 2-day Icelandic pony camping trip, a 3-day hiking trip including bathing in natural hot springs, and also had some sight seeing. It was organized through a Danish Folk High School and was in Danish language. It was amazing!

Obviously, this was a unique experience and not a typical holiday. It does provide some examples of what possible activities in Iceland. 

Iceland is a gorgeous country! Definitely worth the trip. 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 2

I went two springs ago!  We were there in late April.  We rented a car which is not something we normally do in foreign countries, but Iceland is easy to navigate and rentals are not very expensive.  We had an AirBandB which was perfect for us.  I loved all of the things.  We especially liked doing the hot spring spa.  A couple of little pointers.  We never needed cash.  Not once.  They take cards for everything.  This is very handy and no need to keep track of using up cash before leaving.  Also, at that time of year it almost never got dark and apparently window blinds are not terribly popular.  Sleep masks would have been really nice.

• Like 4

We've flown over it and looked down in awe.  I'm posting on this thread to glean from all the advice you might get.  Someone went there not too long ago, was it Faithmanor?  If so, I know she's been on a board break due to extended family issues.  Hopefully she'll join us again before long.

If not her, I apologize in advance for my aging, faulty brain.

• Like 1

Been there in 1994 and LOVED it! One of my favorite vacations.

We took the bus to Landmanalaugar and then spent ten days hiking from there to the coast, where we caught a bus.

We visited the Geysir, Thingvellir, and spent some time in Rejkyavik (don't miss the blue lagoon)

It only rained one day, we were extremely lucky with the weather. It's a fabulous country.

• Like 2

We've flown over it and looked down in awe. I'm posting on this thread to glean from all the advice you might get. Someone went there not too long ago, was it Faithmanor? If so, I know she's been on a board break due to extended family issues. Hopefully she'll join us again before long.

If not her, I apologize in advance for my aging, faulty brain.

I was thinking it was you who had been but I believe you are right that it was actually Faithmanor. She had a thread or two 2-3 years back.
  • Like 2

I’ve been to Iceland.

On a trip we had a layover in Iceland, and I saw the airport.

Yes, this. Icelandair was supposed to allow you to spend a night (I think even up to 3 (5? 7?) nights or w/e) in Iceland at no additional cost, but we couldn't get that for the date we wanted, so, just the airport. I did look up some stuff (before we discovered that it wasn't going to work out), and Iceland is so expensive! The freezing rain we had to walk through to get from our plane to the building was not super exciting (and I was annoyed that my sleepy kids had to walk down those metal stairs off the plane in the dark, freezing rain... so glad nobody fell). 

Anyhow, Iceland does look beautiful in the pictures. 

• Like 1

I went two springs ago! We were there in late April. We rented a car which is not something we normally do in foreign countries, but Iceland is easy to navigate and rentals are not very expensive. We had an AirBandB which was perfect for us. I loved all of the things. We especially liked doing the hot spring spa. A couple of little pointers. We never needed cash. Not once. They take cards for everything. This is very handy and no need to keep track of using up cash before leaving. Also, at that time of year it almost never got dark and apparently window blinds are not terribly popular. Sleep masks would have been really nice.

How was the weather generally in April? And more importantly, did you find things (touristy stuff, I guess--the things one wants to see and do in Iceland) open and accessible in April?

We are planning a trip and that's our best month to travel, but we wrote off Iceland that early in the year. Where we live, we can still be buried in snow and a lot of things are still closed until late May, so we thought it might be similar. I'd love to hear we are wrong!

• Like 1

Another tip....  The airport is CRAZY.  They seem to be operating at 4X the intended capacity.  We flew in very early in the morning so didn't notice anything unusual.  We had a later morning flight when we left and planned to get through security then get some breakfast/coffee, go to the bathroom, etc....  Nope.  The lines for everything, including the bathrooms, were so long there was no chance of clearing them before we needed to board.  So arrive at the airport fed (or with snacks)!  There were no available seats at the gates.  Etc.....  Totally worth that small hassle but if we even fly through there again, I will be prepared!

If you go to the Blue Lagoon, which I highly recommend, try to visit right at opening time on a weekday.  So much less crowded.  And do read the tips on their website about protecting your hair and sunscreen application.  There are several affordable shuttles right from the airport so many people visit it as part of their coming or going.  They even have a luggage check.  I can imagine getting right off a plane and into the lagoon is pretty relaxing.

• Like 3

Another tip....  The airport is CRAZY.  They seem to be operating at 4X the intended capacity.  We flew in very early in the morning so didn't notice anything unusual.  We had a later morning flight when we left and planned to get through security then get some breakfast/coffee, go to the bathroom, etc....  Nope.  The lines for everything, including the bathrooms, were so long there was no chance of clearing them before we needed to board.  So arrive at the airport fed (or with snacks)!  There were no available seats at the gates.  Etc.....  Totally worth that small hassle but if we even fly through there again, I will be prepared!

Oh, yes, definitely. On the way to NL, we arrived in the middle of the night and left in the middle of the night, so it was fine (other than the freezing rain thing), but on the way back, it was crazy chaotic busy. 

• Like 1

Yes, I have been but just the airport.  I got a sweater I really liked.  And since it was in June and the plane was a nightflight back from Luxembourg, I got to see what midnight near the arctic circle was like- not really night, just an odd sort of twilight.  Yes, Icelandic Air.  I don't remember the airport being horribly packed but this was in the very early 80s.

• Like 1

We went last fall in Sept/Oct. It was awesome. We combined it with a trip to Paris. We spent about 3 days in Iceland, then flew to Paris for 5 days then back to Iceland for another day. 

Random thoughts...

*We flew Wow Air. Great fares, and we were happy with the airline. It’s no-frills but the people were nice and it was super efficient. 

*To us, everything was beautiful and we wished we had more time there. We stayed in Reykajvik in two different AirBNBs and just did things we could do within a days drive. One day we did the Golden Circle loop. One day we drove along the coast to the Black Beach. Another day we did the peninsula that is just east of Reykajvik. We would all love to go back and travel further and see more of the country. 

*Highlights...

-Hveragerdi was by far our favorite hike. It’s a place where two rivers come together, one of which is geothermal. You hike to the river and then can change outdoors and swim. It was a cold day and a gorgeous hike and then unbelievably cool to swim outdoors in this hot river.  We still as a family joke on every hike we go on... “What could improve this hike?†“A hot river at the end.†

-We did not do the Blue Lagoon as we heard it wasn’t kid friendly even though they are allowed. It was also pricey for a family of five. We did do The Secret Lagoon which was a great experience. We went at night which made it even cooler. On our last day in Iceland we had a little bit of time before our flight. So we looked up things to do and discovered that there are tons of public pools in Reykajvik (and probably other towns). It was cheap...like maybe $20 for us all. Their were two geothermal pools so we swam outdoors in about 40 degree weather. The pools had a water slide which the kids loved and also lap lanes which my swimmer son loved. He can now say he’s done an IM in Iceland. There were also about eight hot tubs that got gradually hotter so you could find your perfect temperature. And it was pretty much just locals, including a couple of school groups that appeared to be on either a field trip or some kind of regular PE class. If you had kids, it’s a fun alternative thing to do if you just have a bit of time. 

-The Viking Museum was also a good way to spend a bit of time. 

-The Flea Market in Reykjavik was a great place to get gifts. Wool sweaters/socks/ lava jewelry. They also had samples of hakarl (the rotten shark 

that is a national dish) that we could try. 

-We went to the Bridge Between the Continents. That was interesting, and the kids liked saying they were standing in North America and Europe. We did it as part of a day driving around that peninsula and also visiting a lot of other geothermal sites. 

-The hot dogs are weirdly good. I think they have lamb in them (but I don’t usually like lamb so it’s not like they tasted like lamb). There are some hot dog stands that are famous among tourists but we all voted that the best ones came from the gas stations. 

-We rented a car. I’m not sure that you could see much without a car, unless you were part of a tour group that had buses. 

-We also got to make a trip to the Icelandic ER on our last night in the country. My daughter still tells everyone that she is the only person in our family who has been to the ER in two continents. :) Hopefully, you won’t have to do that.

-Pretty much everyone we met spoke English so language was never a problem. 

-Iceland is a country of readers, which I loved. 

When we got back I told my husband that I think the country was made for me...sparsely populated, people who love books, rocky coasts and cliffs, hot rivers...

Definitely go! 

• Like 4

How was the weather generally in April? And more importantly, did you find things (touristy stuff, I guess--the things one wants to see and do in Iceland) open and accessible in April?

We are planning a trip and that's our best month to travel, but we wrote off Iceland that early in the year. Where we live, we can still be buried in snow and a lot of things are still closed until late May, so we thought it might be similar. I'd love to hear we are wrong!

Everything we set off to do was indeed open.  We focused mostly on outdoor activities so I'm not sure about museums and such.  We had a car so we even made stops at remote farm restaurants.  As far as I remember, all were open and blessedly empty.  I understand that things can get very crowded in the high season.  I know that parking around our apartment is a big problem during the summer but we were able to find a spot after one or two laps around the block.  The weather was chilly and we did wear light winter jackets, hats, and mittens.  Like you, we come from a very cold climate anyway, so we found it very comfortable, especially for hiking.  I think some might find it too cold at that time.  I'll take the cold over crowds any day.

My favorite dorky thing was the sheep everywhere.  Just hanging out by the roads or up on small rock hills.

One thing I wish wish wish we were able to do and I will do when I go back is to rent a camper van.  We saw them EVERYWHERE and finally found someone willing to show us theirs.  They are tiny so no more than two people can sleep in them (which is why we couldn't do it on that trip) but they were awesome.  People just park those things anywhere to spend the night.  We would often see them on the sides of roads for the night.  I guess this type of camping is very popular.  Now that I know that driving there is not too intimidating, I would like to try it next time.  And there will be a next time because Icelandic Air is one of he cheapest ways we can fly so we can take advantage of the layover perk any time we go to Europe.

• Like 3

Everything we set off to do was indeed open. We focused mostly on outdoor activities so I'm not sure about museums and such. We had a car so we even made stops at remote farm restaurants. As far as I remember, all were open and blessedly empty. I understand that things can get very crowded in the high season. I know that parking around our apartment is a big problem during the summer but we were able to find a spot after one or two laps around the block. The weather was chilly and we did wear light winter jackets, hats, and mittens. Like you, we come from a very cold climate anyway, so we found it very comfortable, especially for hiking. I think some might find it too cold at that time. I'll take the cold over crowds any day.

My favorite dorky thing was the sheep everywhere. Just hanging out by the roads or up on small rock hills.

One thing I wish wish wish we were able to do and I will do when I go back is to rent a camper van. We saw them EVERYWHERE and finally found someone willing to show us theirs. They are tiny so no more than two people can sleep in them (which is why we couldn't do it on that trip) but they were awesome. People just park those things anywhere to spend the night. We would often see them on the sides of roads for the night. I guess this type of camping is very popular. Now that I know that driving there is not too intimidating, I would like to try it next time. And there will be a next time because Icelandic Air is one of he cheapest ways we can fly so we can take advantage of the layover perk any time we go to Europe.

Thank you!

That was very informative and helpful. We, too, much prefer cold to crowds and I'm happy to hear that April sounds like such a good time to visit. I appreciate your response! :)

• Like 1

We went there for our honeymoon! Just amazing! We went in June and I think there was only a few hours of darkness. The hotel in Rejkyavik had room darkening blinds which made it pitch black. The weather was also on the cool side.

We went to a different Hot Spring every day. There was a learning curve to it, though, as there seems to be some unspoken rules about how to get ready before entering the hot spring. For instance you must be naked while showering publicly. I tried to cover myself with a towel for some privacy, but I was asked to remove it, which felt kind of awkward.

The Blue Lagoon is definitely a place to visit. We also rented a car and drove around the countryside seeing various geysers and waterfalls. We got a booklet to help us understand the road signs, as they were very different from the ones we were used to in America. We ate ice cream every day, and lots of cheeses and dairy products. They are so rich and creamy. Like nothing I've ever eaten before. The salads were very expensive, as expensive as a steak dinner would be here.

We also had another learning curve about nightlife in Reykjavík. On our first night there we went to go out to dinner around 7:00 PM. The streets were deserted and the restaurants seemed empty. We walked around for quite a bit trying to figure out what was going on. We went to the grocery store and got some food to eat.

We explored around a bit, and as the evening progressed, people started appearing and the restaurants got busy. Around midnight seemed to be the peak dinner hour. We realized that because of the daylight situation, people stayed up really late.

I'd love to go back for our 25th anniversary!

Edited by aaplank
  • Like 2

We just went last month! One of my favorite vacations of all time; can't wait to go back. Highly recommend renting your own car and driving. We were there for only 4 full days. We flew in early in the morning, drove to the Blue Lagoon, and then into Reykjavik. Spent one night there, one night near Glacier Lagoon, one night in Vik at a B&B, and one night near the airport. The only thing I would do differently is spend more time there. I'd like to go in the summer and rent a camper van and camp around the ring road. 

Highlights were the visit to Glacier Lagoon, glacier hike and ice cave tour, Blue Lagoon (man-made and touristy but still a cool experience), hunting the northern lights, Icelandic water and dairy, and walking/shopping the streets of Reykjavik. 

• Like 2

*Highlights...

-Hveragerdi was by far our favorite hike. It’s a place where two rivers come together, one of which is geothermal. You hike to the river and then can change outdoors and swim. It was a cold day and a gorgeous hike and then unbelievably cool to swim outdoors in this hot river.  We still as a family joke on every hike we go on... “What could improve this hike?†“A hot river at the end.†

YES!!! This hot river at the end of the hike is amazing!  This was the highlight of my time in Iceland. It was especially fun to sit in the water and adjust the temperature by waving a little more hot or cold water on you for just the perfect blend.  Our group spent a long time sitting and singing in that pool. We opened up our duty free and I got to experience how much Danish people love to sing.  :laugh:

• Like 4

My ds is there now!  I can't really tell you much about it, since he's still there.  :)  But his pictures make it look amazingly beautiful -- like a fairytale land -- all snow and icicles, and very desolate but in a serene, spectacular way.  Everyone in the background of his pics looks so cold!  They are renting a car, and have said it is some of the most treacherous driving they've ever experienced.  (And he grew up with 6-month winters!)  The sun sets at 4pm this time of year.  They've hinted at going again during a different season to get a different experience, but it sounds like they're not disappointed at all in going this time of year -- truly a different kind of experience.  They're on their way to the Faroe Islands now...

• Like 3

-We did not do the Blue Lagoon as we heard it wasn’t kid friendly even though they are allowed. It was also pricey for a family of five. We did do The Secret Lagoon which was a great experience. We went at night which made it even cooler. On our last day in Iceland we had a little bit of time before our flight. So we looked up things to do and discovered that there are tons of public pools in Reykajvik (and probably other towns). It was cheap...like maybe $20 for us all. Their were two geothermal pools so we swam outdoors in about 40 degree weather. The pools had a water slide which the kids loved and also lap lanes which my swimmer son loved. He can now say he’s done an IM in Iceland. There were also about eight hot tubs that got gradually hotter so you could find your perfect temperature. And it was pretty much just locals, including a couple of school groups that appeared to be on either a field trip or some kind of regular PE class. If you had kids, it’s a fun alternative thing to do if you just have a bit of time. 

-The hot dogs are weirdly good. I think they have lamb in them (but I don’t usually like lamb so it’s not like they tasted like lamb). There are some hot dog stands that are famous among tourists but we all voted that the best ones came from the gas stations. 

Alice hit upon several of my favorite parts of our time there in her post.  The blue lagoon is nice but it is a manmade tourist attraction.  If you really want to get a feeling for Iceland and its people head to the public pool.  Iceland is heated by geothermal heating so it is inexpensive and as a result swimming (in outdoor pools) is a very popular activity.  I took my daughters to the Keflavik pool on a weekly basis and to the Reykavik pool once a month or so.  The pools are quite warm and the there are usually 6-8 hot tubs of varying heat.  Everyone in Iceland swims, frequently after work, and it was a great place to meet people. There is nothing more beautiful and comforting than sitting in the hot tub while it snows.   My daughters loved the water slides.  

As a funny aside, the kids in Iceland had found that bare skin on the slides was the fastest so just as they sat down to slide the boys and girls in 2 pieces would pull down the seat of the suit so that their bare bottom was in contact with the slide.  Girls in one pieces would give themselves massive wedgie to get the same effect. It took me a long time to break my oldest of this habit and boy did it raise eyebrows back in the US.

Alice was also right about the hot dogs.  I still miss them. They are lamb.  Food in Icelandic restaurants was expensive and honestly a little weird (and this is coming from a family that eats a very international diet, we have Japanese and Lebanese family members and have lived in several different countries ) but the hot dogs were a favorite.

All of the waterfalls are beautiful. Another thing to visit that will really give you a sense of the "otherness" of Iceland would be the boiling mud pits of Krysuvik-Seltun. It is an area of great geothermal activity, the mud is literally boiling out of the ground, there is steam everywhere, very surreal, very sulfurous, but then to further blow your American mind, There is not a guard rail in sight. Just wooden walkways through boiling mud.  At that moment you will realize that you are in a different world.  Geysir is also a shortish drive from Keflavik, beautiful and surrounded by a simple rope. You can get within a few feet of it.

I would also recommend going to the shopping mall in Reykavik. It is a great way to see how a people lives, to see what they buy.  A grocery store trip is fascinating and fun for the same reason.

If you are taking children, the family park in Reykavik is amazing.  A huge park with farm animals and play areas spread throughout it.

​The people in Iceland, at least in the late 90's, all spoke English and were obsessed with American culture and products.  They were very willing to strike up a conversation and loved to compare their culture and lives to ours.

I really want to go back for a visit some day.

• Like 4

All of the waterfalls are beautiful. Another thing to visit that will really give you a sense of the "otherness" of Iceland would be the boiling mud pits of Krysuvik-Seltun. It is an area of great geothermal activity, the mud is literally boiling out of the ground, there is steam everywhere, very surreal, very sulfurous, but then to further blow your American mind, There is not a guard rail in sight. Just wooden walkways through boiling mud.  At that moment you will realize that you are in a different world.  Geysir is also a shortish drive from Keflavik, beautiful and surrounded by a simple rope. You can get within a few feet of it.

I would also recommend going to the shopping mall in Reykavik. It is a great way to see how a people lives, to see what they buy.  A grocery store trip is fascinating and fun for the same reason.

Yes! The mud pits were also super cool. We do this thing on family trips where we take photos of funny signs and then make them into T-shirts for our boys. In Iceland I got a photo of a sign on the Black Beach saying “Swimming is Dangerous†that also had a funny image of a swimmer being overwhelmed by a wave. We thought it was funny as a Tshirt for our son who is a swimmer. But it turned out we missed his favorite Iceland sign...by a mud pit...â€Caution, stepping off the path may melt boots.†:) 

Also agree that if you stay in an apartment or Air BNB that using the grocery store is a great way to eat cheaper and to experience more of what the locals eat. Other than the hot dogs, we pretty much made all our meals ourselves. Our kids always think it’s fun to try snack food in different countries. The other food memories we have of Iceland is really good cheap chocolate and a particular brand of cheese puffs. And since we went to France right after Icleand, it’s saying a lot that the Icelandic chocolate is what we all remember. 

• Like 3

Yes! The mud pits were also super cool. We do this thing on family trips where we take photos of funny signs and then make them into T-shirts for our boys. In Iceland I got a photo of a sign on the Black Beach saying “Swimming is Dangerous†that also had a funny image of a swimmer being overwhelmed by a wave. We thought it was funny as a Tshirt for our son who is a swimmer. But it turned out we missed his favorite Iceland sign...by a mud pit...â€Caution, stepping off the path may melt boots.†:)

I remember the mud pits. They look so innocent and fascinating. I was always so tempted to touch them, but smart enough to know that would be BAD. ;) 

• Like 1

Check out the fares at WOW Airlines. As low as $199 one way with mid week travel and advanced purchase.

We found Icelandair to be cheaper because of the luggage allowance. Of course, it depends on how much luggage you need, and probably on timing as well. I can't give cost to just Iceland, but to round trip to NL via Iceland was $437/person a year ago. So, ymmv and all that. 

We found Icelandair to be cheaper because of the luggage allowance. Of course, it depends on how much luggage you need, and probably on timing as well. I can't give cost to just Iceland, but to round trip to NL via Iceland was $437/person a year ago. So, ymmv and all that. 

FYI Icelandair changed their luggage rules. 

I think it is only a small carry on now that is free now.  

• Like 1

FYI Icelandair changed their luggage rules. 

I think it is only a small carry on now that is free now.  

http://www.icelandair.us/information/baggage-information/checked-baggage/

This still says 1 bag for economy standard (I don't recall there being an "economy light" last year). I do think that when we flew it was two bags per person though.

• Like 2

http://www.icelandair.us/information/baggage-information/checked-baggage/

This still says 1 bag for economy standard (I don't recall there being an "economy light" last year). I do think that when we flew it was two bags per person though.

Yes the economy light is the new thing.  So when you see their low prices it is the economy light they are advertising.  FYI

• Like 1

These days, I feel like the question is has anyone not been to Iceland.

Of course, I think that may be an affluent East Coast US thing...

Dh and I went not long before we had kids. The tourist economy was just getting moving then. When I describe how the Blue Lagoon was basically empty when we visited, people are like, um... So any advice I have would be way outdated. But it was gorgeous. Everyone should go. Good for a shorter or longer trip.

• Like 1

These days, I feel like the question is has anyone not been to Iceland.

Of course, I think that may be an affluent East Coast US thing...

Living in South Africa, it's an out of the way destination, so I haven't met anyone in person who has been there.

Dh has Iceland on his bucket list.

• Like 1