Menu

Trends that need to die

Moxie

I'm sure this trend is here to stay but honestly, I'm sick of kids media characters taking root in every category of merchandise ever conceived to go on a store shelf.

We don't need Minions on vitamins, Kung Fu Panda toothpaste or Frozen anything. Geesh, its obnoxious.

No kidding. Just saw Darth Vader SpaghettiOs at the store today. :rolleyes:   (I'm sure they've probably been there awhile; I just never noticed until today.)

I guess I'm the only one reading this thread wondering if the only trend that needs to die is so many people being so judgmental...

Wear what you like or do your hair as you like and you're still welcome hanging around me.  I rarely notice what anyone is wearing anyway, so you're fine!

I was just wondering if I should go post on the weirdness thread that I'm weird for not noticing what people are wearing or how they style their hair or their make up/lack of...I don't even know what the trends are around here.

• Like 4

I was just wondering if I should go post on the weirdness thread that I'm weird for not noticing what people are wearing or how they style their hair or their make up/lack of...I don't even know what the trends are around here.

We probably are weird.  If so, I like it.  I'm still staying off the rest of this thread too (just getting to this from the quote notification).  I'd rather not know.  I like pretending my ideal world where intelligent people don't judge each other over petty things exists.   :coolgleamA:

ETA:  Esp after watching the Bolivia episode of Deadliest Journeys (the one that dealt with Brazil Nut harvest) and being reminded just how much of our world is literally First World Problems.  

Edited by creekland
  • Like 2

I don't think anyone is judging in this thread.  I certainly would never walk up to someone wearing  low-rise jeans and tell them their butt crack is sticking out.  Nor would I think less of them for choosing to wear it.  I happen to think it is unattractive and wouldn't wear it myself.

As for those awful drop crotch men's pants.  My ds bought himself a pair.  He looks ridiculous.  Since he is my son I told him I thought he looks ridiculous.  I did not stop him from leaving the house in them.  

• Like 6

Fortunately, life is better this morning - enough anyway - so seeing your post wasn't bothersome, esp since I skipped to it rather than catching up to it.  :coolgleamA:

Yesterday was just the second bad day in a row.  Usually there's just one. (sigh)  Then to get on here where I tend to think people are more educated than normal and seeing some posts remind me of the things I put a stop to in my classrooms... but I expect it from teens who are learning.  I had to remind myself that since FB came about and recent politics, putting others down for their personal choices seems to have become quite ok to do rather than grade school bullying.  One sees it often with critics and Hollywood, etc (which is why I never watch the critics).

Even though I'm feeling better, I can still say there are Hive members now that I have no desire to ever meet in person. One simply can't unread things.  I'm not sure that's happened before - outside of one recent looking for colleges thread, but that was a teen (so he said), so there's hope for his future if he matures.

Such is life.  We all have our things we judge others on I suppose.  Mine might not be clothing, hair, or word usage, but I too draw a line at a point.

That said... too bad we live too far apart to get together.  I've admired what you've been doing with your family... and now I'd really like to meet you someday.  I don't care what you wear or how you do your hair.  Chances are, the next day I wouldn't even be able to tell someone those things, but I'd be able to share neat things about you.

That's really kind of you to say. I do have limits but they usually involve things that hurt others--not things that I think are inappropriate (though I have limits for myself and how I wish myself to be perceived). Honestly part of my choices for my family have been strongly influenced by what many experienced moms on here have said... I think that we may have different styles (who knows) but I'm okay with that if I can learn something positive from someone, which I have from you.

• Like 1

That's really kind of you to say. I do have limits but they usually involve things that hurt others--not things that I think are inappropriate (though I have limits for myself and how I wish myself to be perceived). Honestly part of my choices for my family have been strongly influenced by what many experienced moms on here have said... I think that we may have different styles (who knows) but I'm okay with that if I can learn something positive from someone, which I have from you.

I'm 100% ok with everyone picking their own styles, etc, based upon their preferences.  What I can't stand is people putting others down just because they think their way is the best.  It's a bit like the Mommy Wars... fashion version.

• Like 2

I actually hate hate hate flat bill caps and saggy pants. Sorry but I really do. Even so many of the things I do are on your hates so all is good. Guess differences is what makes the world so wonderful. If I am honest, I would hate everyone being just like me. Not only would it be boring but it would also be very opinionated. HAHA.

Not only do I rock a high waisted swimsuit on this plus size body, I really wanted the colored grey hair before it became popular. I wanted to strip my hair down to its more than likely natural grey and see if I could go natural. It was too expensive so back to black it was and then red followed by intense red and then a burgandy. Thinking of going back black again soon. Speaking of hair, I am also on another of your hate lists...partially shaved head. Or I will be on Tuesday. Dh never knows what to expect when it comes to my hair and never complains but Tuesday I may just test how far his limit goes. I am slowly preparing him though. I have had one half of my hair in a tight braid so it almost looks shave already. He asked when he first saw it if when I was going to get ready to go to soccer as it was late. Then again that could have been more of a comment on my clothing choice, black tights with white crosses, a black tshirt with bright colored day of the dead sugar skull, and a long sleeve denim tshirt unbuttoned with rolled sleeves. Some of you may cringe, but I was rocking this look. Seriously though I have never truly cared. As a kid I always dreamed of growing up and being a gypsy. As much as I hate to admit it YOLO (a slang pet peeve of mine.)

Definitely. I am so sick of the free speech trend - especially for journalist and politicians.

I don't mind the free speach, I just don't think it's appropriate for news broadcasts. There was actually a politician who Tweeted about the death in a shooting before the family of the victim was informed. I think he should have lot his job for that. Completely stupid.

It also seems to be the trend for news reports to broadcast information Tweeted in to stations, whether they have been varified or not. Confirming events seems to be irrelevant these days. 

• Like 2

I don't mind the free speach, I just don't think it's appropriate for news broadcasts. There was actually a politician who Tweeted about the death in a shooting before the family of the victim was informed. I think he should have lot his job for that. Completely stupid.

It also seems to be the trend for news reports to broadcast information Tweeted in to stations, whether they have been varified or not. Confirming events seems to be irrelevant these days.

Yeah, journalists have standards which, when violated, can result in losing jobs. Fair enough. I guess the way you phrased it - that politicians and government officials 'should be banned' from using Twitter to gossip seemed more extreme then that. How would politics be banned? Banned from normal gossip that would be legal permissible for the rest of us? How would that be legislated and enforced?

• Like 1

Yeah, journalists have standards which, when violated, can result in losing jobs. Fair enough. I guess the way you phrased it - that politicians and government officials 'should be banned' from using Twitter to gossip seemed more extreme then that. How would politics be banned? Banned from normal gossip that would be legal permissible for the rest of us? How would that be legislated and enforced?

When there are sensitive pieces of information that a politician knows solely because of his official position, but it's not his job to spread over public media, and there are others who do have the obligation to inform others in a proper procedure, then he should shut the heck up. If he can't do this, he should resign.

• Like 1

We probably are weird. If so, I like it. I'm still staying off the rest of this thread too (just getting to this from the quote notification). I'd rather not know. I like pretending my ideal world where intelligent people don't judge each other over petty things exists. :coolgleamA:

ETA: Esp after watching the Bolivia episode of Deadliest Journeys (the one that dealt with Brazil Nut harvest) and being reminded just how much of our world is literally First World Problems.

I think a lot of people have mentioned trends that have nothing to do with fashion.

Perhaps you all are judging many of the posters on this thread without looking.

Saying one dislikes, oh say, bacon cupcakes :P shouldn't be taken as an attack on people who adore bacon cupcakes.

Perhaps someone's trend they want to go away is pie. Unless by that they mean to outlaw pie, I am not offended and I am definitely well in the running for most enthusiastic pie eater on the planet.

• Like 6

I'm 100% ok with everyone picking their own styles, etc, based upon their preferences. What I can't stand is people putting others down just because they think their way is the best. It's a bit like the Mommy Wars... fashion version.

I feel like you are taking this thread a bit more seriously than it actually is.

• Like 6

I don't like seeing parts that should really be covered or clothing that should be covered (don't care about bra straps, I'm talking about seeing your bra cups). I don't like seeing butts, underwear, boobs, pubic hair hanging out or your bits hanging out (yes talking about guys and gals wearing shorts that are wayyy too short) (breast feeding excluded from seeing boob)

• Like 4

I saw a lady wearing saggy butt pants today and thought of this thread. The pants are similar to leggings until about mid-thigh, at which point they become very loose and baggie with low crotch and high waist. They were not flattering.

Also comments on news articles need to go away and news needs to go back to being informative, well written, and without spin.

I think a lot of people have mentioned trends that have nothing to do with fashion.

Perhaps you all are judging many of the posters on this thread without looking.

Saying one dislikes, oh say, bacon cupcakes :p shouldn't be taken as an attack on people who adore bacon cupcakes.

Perhaps someone's trend they want to go away is pie. Unless by that they mean to outlaw pie, I am not offended and I am definitely well in the running for most enthusiastic pie eater on the planet.

Those aren't the posts I'm talking about.  There were some of those in what I read (back when I was reading everything rather than jumping to "my" posts).  Those don't bother me.  Only the ones talking about how ridiculous (or similar) people look when they wear/do/say that - how could they? are posts I'm talking about.

I feel like you are taking this thread a bit more seriously than it actually is.

That is usually what kids tell me when I get on them about putting down their classmates for something.  "I was only joking!"  I doubt it.  I think people are serious.  They judge others over really petty things - like what they wear or how they do their hair.

Last Thursday I went to get my haircut at Wally World.  As I returned to my car I met a former student I often see there.  This guy graduated back in 2008 and wasn't one of our stellar students.  Now he works at Wally World.  This time he was fetching carts and bringing them back inside.  When we see each other we always chat for a couple of minutes.  This time those "couple of minutes" was probably closer to 10 or 15.  He related to me how he has a serious girlfriend now and is getting both a raise and promoted to another job within Wally World.  He asked me if I ever thought he would do so well for himself after he left school.  He then told me how he almost didn't make it that far - that he had been really suicidal when in school since he always got picked on (and related who/when) and no one would ever do anything about it - except one time when I was in.

Honestly?  I didn't recall that incident at all and still don't.  I barely remember the student from those days - nothing really unusual that stood out making him memorable and it was quite some time ago + I sub so I see all the students (roughly 350 per class x 4 in the high school).  I remember him more now from seeing him often at Wally World.  But something I did then stood out to him enough for him to mention it to me.

For some of you who post, I think you have no idea how much influence you could have on someone who is self conscious (for whatever reason) about what they wear or how they look or what they do/say.

I think bacon cupcakes are silly or I don't like pies?  Who cares!  I think X hairstyle  or clothes or similar makes people look silly/ridiculous has a whole different meaning to many and can stress folks out when/if they have to go out in public wondering how much others are judging them.

When we had our local get togethers, some said they'd like to, but didn't feel comfortable meeting new people in person.  With the judging some of y'all do, I can understand why.  Granted, I suspect no one would say anything when we're actually meeting.  But later on when a thread like this comes up and they see their hairstyle listed with remarks... I get it.

• Like 5

I think trendy fashion is often very silly. But if people have fun playing with their appearance this way, and it makes them feel like they fit in, I do not care a fig and I wouldn't ever look down on anyone over what they wear. They can go around dressed as vampires or superheroes for all I care..to me it's all the same and again, I don't care. I have never and would never comment or laugh at someone over their trendy clothes, or treat someone differently over their fashion.

That said....in the suburban area where we live, for women, falling in line with these trends is women's basis for socially sizing each other up. I dress as a non-participant in the female social game. The people who care about this treat me differently because of it. Up to that point, I see trends as silly, but as a barometer of social acceptability, they become something worse. And that is the culture here. I think it is toxic. And to me, it points out even more the silliness of the fashion trends.

For anyone who is feeling attacked by my views on fashion being silly, why care what I think ? Enjoy your look, whatever it is. I would never hold it against you or treat you differently because of it. It's a game I choose not to play, but I don't care if you do, as long as it's not seen as a social requirement. I'm always happy to meet someone who will still be friendly to me even though I'm wearing old jeans, a plain tee, tennis shoes and carrying a frumpy purse.

• Like 5

<snip>

For some of you who post, I think you have no idea how much influence you could have on someone who is self conscious (for whatever reason) about what they wear or how they look or what they do/say.

I think bacon cupcakes are silly or I don't like pies?  Who cares!  I think X hairstyle  or clothes or similar makes people look silly/ridiculous has a whole different meaning to many and can stress folks out when/if they have to go out in public wondering how much others are judging them.

When we had our local get togethers, some said they'd like to, but didn't feel comfortable meeting new people in person.  With the judging some of y'all do, I can understand why.  Granted, I suspect no one would say anything when we're actually meeting.  But later on when a thread like this comes up and they see their hairstyle listed with remarks... I get it.

Do you think people who are posting on this light-hearted thread are going up to people and criticizing their clothing, food choices, home plans?  (Maybe I'm getting trend threads mixed up, if so, sorry.) 

Just as you don't remember the incident with this boy, most people don't remember what others wore.  If I was ever to get to a hive get-together, I wouldn't link comments about pantyhose or hairstyles with my own wearing of hose or my own lack of nice hairstyle.  I wouldn't note who was wearing leggings as pants.  I doubt anyone would remember that level of detail. 

People are expressing their opinions in a light-hearted (yes, I keep using that word), conversational way.   I don't think anyone's getting their feelings hurt because someone expresses a dislike for bacon cupcakes.

I'm sad for teens (or anyone of any age) who are insecure to the point that general comments about fashions and food likes/dislikes make them feel picked-on.  I was a picked-on teen in school too.  This is so completely different. 

• Like 2

As far as this thread addressing "first world problems," I don't think anyone's under the illusion that the conversation is anything but superficial. Of course it's fluff. But if all I were ever allowed to think about and discuss were the major life- and freedom-threatening problems of the world at large, I'd never be able to get out of bed.  I completely accept that my fellow posters my find my sense of style lacking. It really isn't going to ruin my day. I try to be considerate of other people, but honestly, if people have such tender feelings that they can't deal with the fact that some people on a thread don't share their taste, there's a bigger issue at play than a silly thread.

Edited because I couldn't decide whether to go with singular or plural pronouns.

Edited by Reluctant Homeschooler
  • Like 5

Do you think people who are posting on this light-hearted thread are going up to people and criticizing their clothing, food choices, home plans?  (Maybe I'm getting trend threads mixed up, if so, sorry.) 

Just as you don't remember the incident with this boy, most people don't remember what others wore.  If I was ever to get to a hive get-together, I wouldn't link comments about pantyhose or hairstyles with my own wearing of hose or my own lack of nice hairstyle.  I wouldn't note who was wearing leggings as pants.  I doubt anyone would remember that level of detail. 

People are expressing their opinions in a light-hearted (yes, I keep using that word), conversational way.   I don't think anyone's getting their feelings hurt because someone expresses a dislike for bacon cupcakes.

I'm sad for teens (or anyone of any age) who are insecure to the point that general comments about fashions and food likes/dislikes make them feel picked-on.  I was a picked-on teen in school too.  This is so completely different. 

Due to some of your questions, I'm going to guess you didn't really read what I wrote... it could be worth a re-read.

Otherwise, suffice it to say still don't care to meet some Hive members anymore and it could very well be due to my mindset that day.

I also still continue to skip every other post on this thread and have since my first post, so if other things have been being talked about, I'm blissfully unaware of it.

• Like 1

How could I forget the most important trend...eating gluten free.  While I am loving the variety of new gluten free foods that are available, I find it most bothersome to dine out and having to explain to servers, cooks, waitresses, etc that there are some people who MUS eat gluten free for health reasons and that picking off the croutons does not make the salad gluten free.  Or that, yes, frying chicken nuggets in the same oil as french fries contaminates the fries or that carrying someones plate of spaghetti with breadsticks hanging off the side directly over my gf salad will make me sick because of cross-contamination.  I really don't want to hear about the GF customers who say that a little bit of gluten won't hurt.  They obviously don't NEED to eat GF.

• Like 7

How could I forget the most important trend...eating gluten free.  While I am loving the variety of new gluten free foods that are available, I find it most bothersome to dine out and having to explain to servers, cooks, waitresses, etc that there are some people who MUS eat gluten free for health reasons and that picking off the croutons does not make the salad gluten free.  Or that, yes, frying chicken nuggets in the same oil as french fries contaminates the fries or that carrying someones plate of spaghetti with breadsticks hanging off the side directly over my gf salad will make me sick because of cross-contamination.  I really don't want to hear about the GF customers who say that a little bit of gluten won't hurt.  They obviously don't NEED to eat GF.

Oh I agree with this one! (BTW, I liked your post and then I think I accidentally unliked it, and then I couldn't like it again.  So if you are able to see that, I still like your post.)

No one in my family needs to eat gluten-free, but we know plenty of people who do, and their lives are made so much harder by people who treat it as a trend.

• Like 1

So the question is, does a kilt make up for a man-bun?

Until this thread I'd never heard the expression "man bun" or realized how prevalent they had become on the heads of celebrities, etc. In my head, the only acceptable long hairstyles on men are a low ponytail, one or two long braids, locs, or just loose and free.

With the man bun gaining popularity, though, I think the last objection to military men being allowed to wear their hair long has just ridden off into the sunset. They should now be allowed to grow long hair and they can stick it in a bun same as the women.

The hiking trend. Thanks to Wild and A Walk in the Woods there are more people taking to the trails. Trails are being trashed and destroyed. People are bushwhacking in wilderness areas and creating new trails. Wildlife habitat is being degraded and people are crying that their little pooches are being chased or attacked. I despise the mentality that "My dog can be off leash because she is so well trained....one dog won't hurt....etc." Or "the trail is muddy so I had to create a new trail. I didn't want to get my shoes/socks dirty. It will grow back." I dislike seeing candy wrappers, water bottles, and toilet paper all over the trails and waysides. Not everyone wants to hear your Ipod and walk the trails to your loud obnoxious music.

The selfie with wildlife. Not a good thing.

Yes, I want people to enjoy the outdoors but I also want them to practice LNT and be responsible.

I am so with you on this! Just last weekend I had staked out a little cove and been sitting silently for quite some trying to catch sight of a certain woodpecker that I could hear but not see. Along come two trail runners BLASTING rap out of their devices. So jarring.

I can help you with that! A few years ago I was with you on the bad fitting, shifting, bra that you had to adjust all the time. I thought that was my normal since no store I was ever at sold under a 32 band. I actually thought I was a 32 band though until I read a reddit thread on how to measure yourself for a bra accurately and it was a game changer. I went from wearing a 32 B to 28 DD (sounds large but is not when you compare sister sizes) and it has changed my life. I never knew that a bra could fit so well or that it was supposed to. I order my bras from Fig Leaves in the UK because they have a huge variety of sizing. The balconette style works best for me and makes the most out of what I have….or don't have. 

Wow!  No wonder I can never find a bra that fits quite right!  According to this I should be wearing a 30B!  I have been wearing a 32A or a 34AA when I can find them in the women's section, but neither ever really fit all that great so I've taken to shopping in the girls training bra section -- where things are mostly S, M, L, XL and often don't have cup sizes.  Now I'm curious about online bra shopping... I wonder how well that would work out.

Just musing...

I never assume that someone on trend is doing it to fit in or be trendy. Sometimes a trend makes a style more accessible to someone who really likes it. Sometimes a trend just puts the idea out there...like a guy with long hair thinking "a bun! How convenient! Can't believe I never thought of this before."

For some people it is hard being aware that you're being judged. It doesn't mean you actively "care" but it sticks in the back of one's mind, kwim? For example, someone puts on her leggings and loves how she looks but in the back of her mind she knows that she'll probably be silently judged by someone that day. She still wears her outfit, still thinks it's cute but still knows some will thinks she's 'ridiculous'.

Just my two cents!

Edited by happi duck
  • Like 3

Those aren't the posts I'm talking about. There were some of those in what I read (back when I was reading everything rather than jumping to "my" posts). Those don't bother me. Only the ones talking about how ridiculous (or similar) people look when they wear/do/say that - how could they? are posts I'm talking about.

That is usually what kids tell me when I get on them about putting down their classmates for something. "I was only joking!" I doubt it. I think people are serious. They judge others over really petty things - like what they wear or how they do their hair.

Last Thursday I went to get my haircut at Wally World. As I returned to my car I met a former student I often see there. This guy graduated back in 2008 and wasn't one of our stellar students. Now he works at Wally World. This time he was fetching carts and bringing them back inside. When we see each other we always chat for a couple of minutes. This time those "couple of minutes" was probably closer to 10 or 15. He related to me how he has a serious girlfriend now and is getting both a raise and promoted to another job within Wally World. He asked me if I ever thought he would do so well for himself after he left school. He then told me how he almost didn't make it that far - that he had been really suicidal when in school since he always got picked on (and related who/when) and no one would ever do anything about it - except one time when I was in.

Honestly? I didn't recall that incident at all and still don't. I barely remember the student from those days - nothing really unusual that stood out making him memorable and it was quite some time ago + I sub so I see all the students (roughly 350 per class x 4 in the high school). I remember him more now from seeing him often at Wally World. But something I did then stood out to him enough for him to mention it to me.

I think bacon cupcakes are silly or I don't like pies? Who cares! I think X hairstyle or clothes or similar makes people look silly/ridiculous has a whole different meaning to many and can stress folks out when/if they have to go out in public wondering how much others are judging them.

When we had our local get togethers, some said they'd like to, but didn't feel comfortable meeting new people in person. With the judging some of y'all do, I can understand why. Granted, I suspect no one would say anything when we're actually meeting. But later on when a thread like this comes up and they see their hairstyle listed with remarks... I get it.

"With the judging some of y'all do," - you do see that this is a pretty judgemental remark right?

Got my haircut today. Decided to go all in and shaved not only one side of my head but also underneath. Then I had her cut in a design which I wish was a little more pronounced. I love it.Once I got home I colored it dark violet since many of my greys were showing especially in the shaved areas. I love that it can be hidden if I part it differently and just looks like a regular asymmetrical bob, looks great worn curly or even just finger waves, and can still be braided. Definitely me even if not everyone's cup of tea. Here is hoping dh agrees though. He should be home in a few minutes. I did purchase him an hour long massage to relax him before he comes home just in case. Plus for years he is used to my hair changing even if not this drastic. I always joked one day I would come home shaved and he always laughed. Keeping fingers crossed.

post-16720-0-41761300-1455065163.jpg

Edited by kahlanne
  • Like 3

Wow!  No wonder I can never find a bra that fits quite right!  According to this I should be wearing a 30B!  I have been wearing a 32A or a 34AA when I can find them in the women's section, but neither ever really fit all that great so I've taken to shopping in the girls training bra section -- where things are mostly S, M, L, XL and often don't have cup sizes.  Now I'm curious about online bra shopping... I wonder how well that would work out.

I get some of mine (28 band) from Amazon. If I'm trying a style/brand I don't know, I make sure that it says "free returns" next to the price, and then I make sure to send it back on time if it doesn't work.

• Like 1

We are of the same stripe. I've been tempted to put my water in mcdonalds soda cups just to watch the yuppies squirm. Nothing alarms people at park day like me openly drinking a soda. Thing is, 1/2 of probably drink it from time to time. They just secret it away in their cars.

I grow much of our food, produce our own meat, bake from scratch, etc. Good, natural, delicious food is a big deal here at my house.

I drink ONE Coke Zero every day. It makes no sense. Except that I love it.