Menu

"Consumable" birthday presents for 5 yr old

Tranquility7

DD is turning 5, and I'm being asked by four different family members what to get her (we aren't huge on presents, but they like to get her something, which I can understand). But we already own everything under the sun, LOL! I'm in a "purging" phase right now, definitely not an "increasing" phase. So, what can I suggest? I'm trying to think of something that could get "used up" in short order so it doesn't hang around here forever. But I am also hoping for something that does *not* result in a zillion little things to give away (such as bead bracelets), although I'd maybe be okay with something genuinely useful like maybe potholders?? Or are those lame?).

Something educational would also be ok, if it doesn't have a ton of parts that will get everywhere, and if we don't already have it :-)

Ideas?

Maybe a cupcake kit. A cake mix and tub of frosting with some cute cupcake liners and sprinkles. Or a decorated cookie kit, including a cookie mix, cookie cutters, icing and sprinkles.   Yeah, that would involve time on your part, but a 5 year old would enjoy it. 

An experience is always fun for a kid- zoo tickets, movie, etc.  A session at a pottery place might be fun and you could guide her to choose something sort of useful like a plate to be used on special days like birthdays. 

Aside from experiences (which are super cool): play doh; art supplies; baking kits or maybe some real baking items; maybe some play silks and a kit for dyeing them, if they won't bother you too much.

Movie tickets are always favorite, here, and not as pricey as some experience gifts.

When my dd turned 5 I got her 4 or 5 of those silk scarves from Dharma Trading Co. and some packets of koolaid. We had fun dyeing them in the microwave. She played with them for awhile and then her "creative" side took over and she started cutting them up to make things--a "vest" for herself, capes for her stuffed animals, etc. Eventually they were all cut up and the pieces got thrown out bit by bit.

Another possibility is an adopt an animal at a local zoo or a zoo somewhere you visit (or through the World Wildlife fund or similar groups). Most send a certificate and a photo, so not much stuff, and it's fun to visit your animal. One of my favorites for kids who like reptiles is the Kentucky Reptile Zoo, where they actually label the animal's enclosure with the names of their adopters. My daughter had such fun visiting "Her" snakes. 

Bubble bath
Fizzy bath tablets (ETA: Crayola makes some that turn the water different colors. I found them with the bath items in the baby section at Target)
Bath crayons
Shaving cream for bathtub play

Sidewalk chalk
Silly string

Popsicles
Gift cert to ice cream shop

Make your own sundae kit
Make your own hot chocolate kit w/toppings (cups, chocolate mix or recipe & ingredients, shaved chocolate, sprinkles, chocolate. Chocolate Syrup, Carmel syrup)

Paint by number kit
Other craft kits

Is she really into dogs or cats? If so she could ask for pet toys or food, then she'd have something to unwrap, but then she, being a big kid now, can take it to the rescue center.  At that age, I think it's more about the excitment of the opening.  A few days later, it's all just more of there stuff she already has.  But if you do this, be sure to tell people that the wrapping is important.  

Look at your local rescue and see what they need. 

I would also recommend only have some people do this, she still needs a few 'things' at this age.  

But again, the wrapping is pretty important I think.

GC for into class for one of those climbing gyms? 

Waldorf -style Stockmar watercolors (small containers, goes a long way), with pack of water color paper.

Day Pass for a local aquarium, zoo, children's museum etc (if annual membership is too extravagant)

Swim lessons/ pool pass.

Dinner or lunch at local place that is kid-friendly. Ihop, or some such.

Fo to movie, play, or ice cream shop.

My dd has a fifth bday in about a month and one of the things I have planned is one of those large table-top organizers with tiny drawers. I am filling each little drawer with little craft supplies. Pom-poms, googly eyes, glitter glue, Popsicle sticks, pipe cleaners, feathers, sequins, all kinds of things. My mom wants to send something so she is sending refills and extras.

She is also getting an entire ream of cheap printer paper. This $2.50 gift at Christmas last year was one of her favorite gifts:)

Also, she is getting more 'parts' to sets she already uses. Snap circuits, Magnatiles, That sort of thing.

I would second the yearly passes to the zoo, children's museums, amusement parks, etc. 
Magazine subscriptions are great! (I remember being super young and getting Ranger Rick - do they still print those? Anyway, I LOVED it. It was the highlight of my month.)
Kiwi Crate is great for monthly art boxes that come in the mail. A bit pricey for us to just buy right now, but I'd love to get a subscription one day. 
Hobby Lobby, also, has fun art boxes/kits.

I would second all the suggestions for experiences. 

One thing my kids were given by a friend was a gift card to a local ice cream store. They LOVED that. I have to admit at first I thought it was kind of odd but they really loved the idea of being able to go in and choose whatever they wanted. 

I know exactly what you mean. This year I suggested movie tickets to my parents for ds. It ended up being a pain to order them online so they sent us money and told us to use it on that or something else and we did.

Jumping off the cupcake idea.... I recently went to a young girl's birthday party and got her this: http://www.amazon.com/Bakelicious-Cupcaker/dp/B00IWHTQY4 She and her younger sister (your dd is between their ages) loved it and used it to make pancakes the day after the party. I got it at Hobby Lobby with a coupon. Not sure if this would be kitchen clutter, though lol.

Oh that's so cute! My dd's would have loved that when they were younger.

They loved getting kitchen utensils of their own. They were kept in the kitchen obviously, but it encouraged them to help with food prep and cooking.

I know this sounds weird but some years we have given our kids (for Christmas) their favorite junky food. I normally don't buy sweet cereals, pop tarts, soda, etc. so they loved getting those things.  Not sure if a younger child would like that sort of thing although my youngest was around that age when we did it once.  

She's five. Let her make crap. It's the process not the product. Let your family buy those awful art kits you'll hate. Your daughter will love them. You could steer her towards making felt dolls with yarn needles, or learning to knit since it's an actual skill, but count on her being attracted to the glitter glue and ride it out. My daughter was into that stuff yesterday. She's a senior in high school now :-(

Oh! And whilst it is not truly consumable, but my dd loves to dress up. In the after-Halloween sales I usually gather up bits and pieces that she can have fun in...with zero qualms when they get destroyed:)

How about a subscription to Magic School Bus science kits, or online things like iXL, Starfall, ABC mouse or whatever is at her level? Brain Pop or Brain Pop Jr., subscriptions to magazines like National Geographic for kids, Highlights, that kind of thing.

Alex always gets kits or extras that I know she could use for whatever we are learning about. Geode kits, crystals kits, raising insect kits, all those fun 'extras' that are great fun. Globes, outdoor scientist tools like a camelback, identification cards, jewelry loupes, magnifying glasses, just useful things:)