Menu

My adult dd doesn't want to get the flu shot now what

Only me

I tried to persuade my 21 year old daughter to get the flu shot before she left to work for Disney. She got the shot once several years ago and had muscle aches for two weeks. I just remember her arm hurting but she says it was more than that. She said she hurt all over and didn't feel well for a few weeks. I do have a bad memory so that is possible. Regardless she didn't want to risk feeling bad right away when she got down there. I wish that I tried harder to convince her but as I put in another post a close friend of hers was killed a few days after Xmas. I felt that she didn't need me stressing her out even more.

Anyway so now that she hasn't had the shot and the flu seems to be spreading like crazy is there anything else you would suggest she can take to help boost her immune system?

So far I'm thinking vitamin d and possibly probiotics. What else would be good?

I know she is 21 and can take care if herself but she will be in contact with so many people, will probably be getting little sleep and doesn't eat the best.

Garlic is good. As is Ecchinacea and golden seal. I know you mean well but I would drop the issue. She is an adult and old enough to choose for herself if she wants a flu shot or to risk getting the flu. I personally do not like vaccinations and when my dad tried to get me to take a tetanus shot a few years ago I just totally ignored him. I don't like the effects of vaccinations and won't take any regardless of what anyone says. I know you are a loving mom and want the best for your dd. I hope this does not come across as unkind. I am not very good at writing.

Here is what I recommend for when you get the flu - and you'll know it's the flu because you probably woke up feeling pretty good and within a couple hours you just want to lay down and die - head and muscle aches, fever, etc.

When this happens, lay your head on it's side and put a half capful or so of hydrogen peroxide in your ear (one at a time) and let it sit there for 3 or 4 mintues.  Turn your head over (onto a towel) and do the other ear.  Repeat every 2 to 3 hours all day.  You should be feeling quite a bit better by evening, but keep it up the next day or so (maybe less frequently by day 3) just to make sure the virus is killed off.

I'm with puddles that I can't believe you're encouraging her to take the vaccine again after she already had a milder reaction to it.  You probably taught her how to eat.  She can take primadophilus (good acidophilus) or eat yogurt for breakfast, try to eat a salad daily, eat some fruit daily.

Honestly, the smartest thing for her to do is WASH HER HANDS.  Buy some of that smelly antibacterial soap and USE it.  Wash her hands EVERYWHERE she goes and often.  Don't put her hands near her faces or orifices without washing.  Wash even more.  Don't share hand towels with a roommate or anyone else.  Washing is the single best way to prevent the spread of germs.  My ds got very, very sick when we went to a co-op because he was putting nursery toys and his hands into his mouth during a chewing stage.  It was horrible, and after that we learned to wash, wash, wash.  I washed his hands immediately after we left the nursery, immediately upon arriving home, before eating anything, etc. etc.  And the towel thing I know because my dd got crazy sick after going to a camp where they had sinks in the cabins and used a common hand towel.  Utterly stupid, and you'd think people would know better.  Spreads germs like wildfire!  

So send her a bottle of antibacterial soap and a couple of bottles of sanitizer for her purse and be in peace.  I've seen clerks at registers keep sanitizer and use it frequently too.  If she's at a place with surfaces, you could send her antibacterial wipes (for keyboard, etc.).  I'm not normally crazy for that kind of stuff, but frankly after ds got so sick, I broadened my mind.  He was right at 104, and well now we use antibacterial stuff.  ;)

I feel your pain... DS19 has been "too busy" between school and work to get his. He did have H1N1 in 2009, so I am hoping there is some residual immunity, but at some point I just had to stop worrying about it. I do still ask him about it every few days, though, and have reminded him how sick he was in 2009.

I just read the cdc's weekly flu report, and Florida currently is experiencing low levels of flu, so I hope that helps a bit.

I know it's her choice. That isn't the issue. I'm not hounding her about it and haven't brought it up since Christmas. She doesn't want the shot but is concerned about getting the flu. Obviously I know it is her decision. I also wouldn't have suggested she get it if I felt she truly had a bad reaction to it last time. She has never had trouble with injections before and I don't feel she was truly allergic to it.

I just know that a lot of people on here tend to be knowledgable about vitamins etc and thought I would get suggestions. Also several people on another board I frequent have been mentioning how young adults have been hit harder this year. It is also a concern since she will be working with thousands of people. Of course she knows to wash her hands frequently etc but lack of sleep is typical with a lot of college students. I just thought I would give her some suggestions as to what she could take to help boost her immunity. I don't think that is being overprotective as I would do the same thing if a friend was asking for suggestions.

This won't be helpful to you, but it's this simple in our home -- As long as the boys are on our insurance and we're covering the cost of any medical care they need, they will get a flu shot annually.  Period.  Once they're supporting themselves, including covering their own health insurance and other medical costs, then they can make their own decisions about it.  I wouldn't let the fact that she felt bad for awhile after the last shot impact that decision unless her doctor advised not to get the vaccine again.  It's quite possible that she picked up something else that caused those symptoms.  In any event what she experienced sounds relatively minor compared to the flu, and especially to complications that can develop.

If she is fully supporting herself financially, then disregard all the above.  Because in that case whether you like it or not, it is her decision to make.

Just an off side on the sore arm.  Last time my dd got the flu shot she said her arm hurt for 2 weeks and on and on (she was a bit dramatic about it)  This year she got the flu shot and never once complained about her arm hurting at all.  Maybe it was a different strain in it that cause the pain or the newer needles are better or ????  Anyway none of us got sore arms this year.

I get it ...send her a care package... some vit C (find some yummy ones she will take, they make vit C drops that are good), maybe a multi vitamin if she is more likely to take it (although extra Vit C could really help) and some of those sanitizers (we don't normally use them but may start)...remind her about touching her face. Maybe recommend lots of Italian food (there tends to be more garlic/onion in that fare).

Good luck finding the flu mist. Yes, it is available in some places but not in a lot of places. Around here they will only give it to children, not adults.

A flu shot doesn't mean she won't get the flu. It's a shot in the dark if they have the right strains in there and this year a LOT of people that have gotten the shot got the flu anyway. If you daughter is an adult then respect her wishes. As the parent of three adult children, I would never insist my adult children get a flu shot in order to live in my house or be on my insurance. There are certain boundaries a parent of an adult child need to respect, this is one of them. 

I'd send her Sambucol as a previous poster mentioned.
I bought some to have in the house yesterday.

I am getting the flu shot (I couldn't find the mist) tonight. It'll take two weeks for effect obviously.

But if I wasn't able to get the shot for whatever reason, I would start taking the Sambucol as a preventative now.

I'm not sure on pills vs syrup!

But vitamin D--she can take up to 10,000 IU of D3 (only D3 forms) safely. I'd recommend she take 10,000 6 days a week and drop down to 5,000 or off completely on the 7th day. Healthy D does benefit the immune system. I've seen mixed results on it preventing the flu. It's a generally good idea, though, and might help.

The Sambucol has clear evidence of efficacy.

I would start taking the Sambucol as a preventative now because I think it would be best as a preventative. I worry about cytokine storms when the flu starts taking out healthy adults. And it's theoretically possible ramping up the immune system in the middle of a flu like that with Sambucol could contribute to a cytokine storm.

Handwashing, no matter what the CDC puts out, won't prevent flu transmission. It's airborne. But it will help with other viruses and is always a good idea.

I get it ...send her a care package... some vit C (find some yummy ones she will take, they make vit C drops that are good), maybe a multi vitamin if she is more likely to take it (although extra Vit C could really help) and some of those sanitizers (we don't normally use them but may start)...remind her about touching her face. Maybe recommend lots of Italian food (there tends to be more garlic/onion in that fare).

This is a wonderful suggestion. My mom did this for me when I was in college and it was so helpful. I don't think I would have bought items like these otherwise. You just don't think about buying vitamins when you're 19, and if you do, you're thinking, "Too bad I can't afford vitamins.  I bet they'd come in handy around all this illness." :-P

I'm not sure on pills vs syrup!

But vitamin D--she can take up to 10,000 IU of D3 (only D3 forms) safely. I'd recommend she take 10,000 6 days a week and drop down to 5,000 or off completely on the 7th day. Healthy D does benefit the immune system. I've seen mixed results on it preventing the flu. It's a generally good idea, though, and might help.

The Sambucol has clear evidence of efficacy.

I would start taking the Sambucol as a preventative now because I think it would be best as a preventative. I worry about cytokine storms when the flu starts taking out healthy adults. And it's theoretically possible ramping up the immune system in the middle of a flu like that with Sambucol could contribute to a cytokine storm.

Handwashing, no matter what the CDC puts out, won't prevent flu transmission. It's airborne. But it will help with other viruses and is always a good idea.

Although you can get sick if someone sneezes or coughs on you, you are much more likely to get it from touching something and then touching your nose, eyes or mouth then from airborne particles.

Most people don't realize how often they touch their face. When you are out somewhere, sit and watch people and see how often they will touch their faces in a short amount of time. I had a three hour wait in DMV once and I watched to see how often people do this and boy was it eye opening.

Washing your hands IS a very good way to protect against flu. So is staying away from people that sick. But keep in mind, even if you wash your hands, the minute you touch a handrail, door knob, keyboard or phone, you could become contaminated again. This is why NOT touching your face is the most important thing you can do to keep from getting the flu.

I'm not an expert on the flu, but as I understand it, the flu virus can live for quite some time on surfaces, particularly hard and non-porous surfaces like doorknobs, so if you touch a contaminated doorknob and then, say, touch your mouth, you could get the flu.

I have never heard that handwashing wasn't important when a person is trying to avoid catching the flu -- or most other illnesses, for that matter.

Although you can get sick if someone sneezes or coughs on you, you are much more likely to get it from touching something and then touching your nose, eyes or mouth then from airborne particles.

Most people don't realize how often they touch their face. When you are out somewhere, sit and watch people and see how often they will touch their faces in a short amount of time. I had a three hour wait in DMV once and I watched to see how often people do this and boy was it eye opening.

Washing your hands IS a very good way to protect against flu. So is staying away from people that sick. But keep in mind, even if you wash your hands, the minute you touch a handrail, door knob, keyboard or phone, you could become contaminated again. This is why NOT touching your face is the most important thing you can do to keep from getting the flu.

Looks like you were posting while I was still typing, Berta! :)

You CAN get the flu from inhaling airborne particles. It's just not as likely as it does not STAY airborne. The particles are too heavy to stay airborne. If someone coughs or sneezes around you, then yes you can catch it. But those particles are going to fall and land on something and LIVE on that something for quite some time. This is why you are more likely to catch it from touching something than from breathing it in.

I am sorry. You are right; this group is excellent at suggestions for immune response boosting.

I didn't get it in my head that she wanted ideas to help and was concerned about the flu.

I hope you (and others) find help here.

Please accept my apology.

Definitely Vit C and D, Elderberry, avoid the hand sanitizer unless there's no other choice-proper hand washing is the best way to go.  Teach her to scrub properly under her nails, around the nail beds, use a utensil to eat if possible (wrapper around a sandwich works well), etc. And obviously try to avoid sick folks and bodily fluids, if possible. :)

Vitamin D3 drops and probiotics, as you suggested. Frequent handwashing. Also, a few drops of hydrogen peroxide in the ears may help after exposure to others, as well on a q-tip to wipe the nasal passages. She could do that several times a day to fight any viruses that entered that way, especially if she knows she has been exposed to illness or feels like she's on the verge of getting sick.

Send her a first aid kit. Include 10,000 iu D3, vitamin A, C, and zinc for preventative. I would also include oscillococcinum in case any symptoms occur

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=is_s_ss_i_2_6?k=oscillococcinum&sprefix=Oscill

I also second increased intake of raw garlic and onion, not sure if she will go for that though :)

Really? Most places I have lived the mist is far more common. Huh.

Not here. There isn't a doctors office that I have called that had it. The only place that has it is the Health Dept, and they will not give it to adults.

The best part about being a grown up is getting to make your own decisions about what is put into your body.  Even though I support most vaxes the flu shot is not one of them.  If she engages in proper handwashing she will drastically reduce her risk of getting ill.  I have only had the flu shots a few times (only due to preemie baby at home at the time), generally my kids and I do not get it.  In 2009 3 of my kids got H1N1 before the shots were even available.  The other 2 of us living in the home never caught it.  My number 1 rule about this time of year, is wash, wash, wash.  We constantly wash our hands and I keep lotion near each sink to prevent skin from drying out due to the washing. 

I am sorry. You are right; this group is excellent at suggestions for immune response boosting.

I didn't get it in my head that she wanted ideas to help and was concerned about the flu.

I hope you (and others) find help here.

Please accept my apology.

That's ok. I probably didn't express myself very well in the first post. She was asking for ideas and I knew this was a great place to ask. Thanks everyone! since I'm sending a few of her things down to her anyway I will add some of these ideas.

Since the flu shot will only prevent one strain of the flu, it might be to her advantage to *not* have it. She may be more proactive in protecting herself against germs in general, washing her hands, not touching her face, etc.  Since she'll be responsible for taking the precautions, what appeals to her?  Will she be open to taking supplements, vitamins, sanitizers, etc.?  Fwiw, I worked in a children's department at a library for six years.  It was a cesspool of germs. I was very careful to wash hands, avoid door knobs, and not touch my face.  I may have caught just one cold the whole time. 

:grouphug: :grouphug:

Disclaimer: it has been a while since I've researched this. I did a lot of searching pubmed and similar several years ago because my son had immune system issues and I was trying to figure out what we could do to protect him. So it's possible there is new information.

But, the majority of  cases of flu transmission will be from the air and not hands.

Handwashing can protect you from other viruses, including colds. It can protect against stomach viruses and parasites. I agree with you that people often touch their faces. Handwashing is the best protection against all sorts of things. It might, and probably does, help a bit with flu too.

For some reason, I can't find the studies I've seen. If I do find them, I'll link. But the flu spreads most often through the air (a conservative estimate appears to be 2/3 of the time it will be an airborne infection vs. hands/surfaces; it may be less than that).

This Article's Quote, because I can't find the actual studies and I"m too tired to dig through Cochrane's stuff:

A spokesman for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention agrees there isn't strong evidence that hand washing fights H1N1.

"We don't have solid data on the effect that hand washing has on the transmission of H1N1," CDC spokesman Tom Skinner wrote in an e-mail.

But he said there's still reason to be vigilant about hand washing. "There are studies that show hand washing was effective in reducing transmission of other respiratory diseases," he said.

Dr. Peter Palese, a professor of medicine and infectious diseases at Mount Sinai School of Medicine in New York City, said hand washing isn't all that helpful against the flu because the flu isn't like other respiratory diseases.

"The flu virus isn't very stable on the hand," he said. "The virus has a lipid membrane that flattens out when it's on your hand, and it gets inactivated."

The rhinovirus, on the other hand, which causes the common cold, can live quite nicely on someone's hand. "It has a different architecture than a flu virus," he said. "It's much more stable."

The flu virus thrives in droplets of water, such as the kind that come out of your mouth when you sneeze or cough. "The lipid membrane stays intact when it's surrounded by a droplet of water that's ten times bigger than the virus itself," Palese says.

OP, I got a flu shot tonight. I am taking Sambucol though, at least until it kicks in. Maybe longer actually.

The facts are the vaccine isn't very effective. I always debate getting it or not. I do because I feel it's better than nothing. But it's not at all a sure thing. And most people aren't going to get influenza in any given year, vaxed or not. She's more likely to pick up noravirus or similar (handwashing key there).

I hope she stays healthy!

Vitamin D and elderberry for prevention, ocillococcinum if she starts feeling ill. http://www.boironusa.com/products/oscillococcinum/

Also probiotics and healthy eating for general immune system maintenance :)

There's a Whole Foods in Orlando. She can get all of this there.

Does she have an assignment? We'll be in WDW soon!

I agree. The flu shot has about a 50-60% success rate each year, and that has been true for us too. I gave up on the shot, because it did not always work, and I always feel icky for a couple of weeks after I get it. Feeling icky after the shot and then getting the flu anyway does not make me happy, and mine is always worse not more mild as docs claim. We stick with a healthy diet, probiotics, and elderberry. The ocsillo really does help if taken at the first sign of the flu too or at least it does for us. She can always get tested if she gets sick and get tamiflu if it is available at the time.

Since the flu shot will only prevent one strain of the flu

That's incorrect.

There are two flu vaccines available this year.  One protects against three strains and one protects against four.  I'm not sure about the FluMist.

I've gotten flu shots for many years and can't ever remember it only protecting against one strain of flu.  Not saying that hasn't been the case, but I certainly can't remember it.

That's incorrect.

There are two flu vaccines available this year.  One protects against three strains and one protects against four.  I'm not sure about the FluMist.

I've gotten flu shots for many years and can't ever remember it only protecting against one strain of flu.  Not saying that hasn't been the case, but I certainly can't remember it.

Yes, you are correct, three or four different strains that the CDC *believes* will be most prevalent.  However, the vaccine does not protect against MOST strains of the flu. 

You're much safer taking precautionary measures in general than depending on the flu vaccine to keep you safe/healthy/fill-in-the-blank.

I don't get this 50-60% figure (referenced here and online).  50-60% of what? 

Yes, you are correct, three or four different strains that the CDC *believes* will be most prevalent.  However, the vaccine does not protect against MOST strains of the flu. 

You're much safer taking precautionary measures in general than depending on the flu vaccine to keep you safe/healthy/fill-in-the-blank.

I don't get this 50-60% figure (referenced here and online).  50-60% of what? 

Not to be argumentative, but in a typical year there are usually only a handful of influenza strains circulating.  It's not like the vaccine protects against three or four and there are hundreds floating around at any given time.

And I don't think it's an either/or thing.  I believe in vaccination and common-sense precautionary measures (hand washing, covering mouths when coughing or sneezing, etc.).  I don't understand why so many people seem to think it's either/or and one can't or shouldn't do all of the above. :confused1:   It's certainly not logical to me to believe that doing only one or the other is "safer."

If she's changed her mind and wants to get the shot now, it's not too late.

The gamble now is that she'll get the flu before the shot kicks in, but it's a fairly reasonable gamble.

Otherwise -- plenty of sleep and eat well. Exercise also seems to work for me. Enough that I sweat most days. (Disclaimer -- don't know if I was going to stop getting sick so much JUST when I started exercising more, but it appeared to me that the exercise was helpful)

Stay away from sick people. That seems to help the most.

Not to be argumentative, but in a typical year there are usually only a handful of influenza strains circulating.  It's not like the vaccine protects against three or four and there are hundreds floating around at any given time.

And I don't think it's an either/or thing.  I believe in vaccination and common-sense precautionary measures (hand washing, covering mouths when coughing or sneezing, etc.).  I don't understand why so many people seem to think it's either/or and one can't or shouldn't do all of the above. :confused1:   It's certainly not logical to me to believe that doing only one or the other is "safer."

I believe you are not trying to be argumentative.  I don't believe that's true about just a handful of strains, but I have no desire to research it out this afternoon.  And I am honestly not trying to be snippy.  :)

Yes, you are right that someone doesn't need to do either/or, and that one or the other must be safer.  That was in response to the OP's question about how to help keep her dd protected.  My original comment was that not having the flu shot *may* make her more conscientious about taking care of herself and using preventative measures.

I'm thinking you and I have different opinions on the whole flu shot thing--which is of course fine!  I can respect someone else's choice to have the vax, and I have no reason to doubt that you feel the same about those who don't.  I'm going to :) again, because I want to make sure that my post is coming across in the same nice and friendly way that yours did. Sometimes I sound more abrupt than is my intent.

If she had  reaction last time, then I don't blame her.

Years ago, when I was about 19, I cut myself and had to get a tetanus shot.  Now, keep in mind, I had had several of these up to that point with no problems.  However, the next day after getting that final shot, my upper arm swelled up like a baseball around the injection site and got blisters on it.  My upper arm also ached.  I didn't think too much of it.  It was a Saturday, so I thought I would relax and laid on the couch deciding to just watch a movie. 

Well, I would be watching one movie, and then open my eyes to find a totally different show on. This happened several times.  I couldn't understand it because I wasn't tired.  Come to find out, I was losing consciousness!  I got up, wobbly, and went outside to sit on the steps and get some air.  That's when I realized I couldn't support my head.  It was like my neck was broken.  I couldn't even lift my head.  I realized something terrible was going on so I got my mother.  She took one look at me and rushed me to the ER.  (She had thought I was just tired and snoozing on the couch so didn't bother me.)

Come to find out, they think the shot gave me a mild case of tetanus.  I was told if I ever got another shot I would have a 50/50 chance of it killing me.  I haven't had one in 30 years.

My mother is also sensitive to a lot of medications. Now I'm very careful of what shots my DD gets and weigh my options very carefully. You never know how your body will react to foreign bodies being forcefully introduced to it. 

Like I said, if DD had an abnormal reaction last time, then her body is trying to tell her something.

Many of these posts are talking about ways to strengthen the immune system, but with H1N1 the immune system response is what causes the severe symptoms and death. Research the 1918 flu epidemic and cytokine storm. That's why healthy young adults are more susceptible than they usually are to the flu. If your daughter knows this, she may be more likely to get the vaccine or be especially vigilant about hand washing.