Menu

Parents of 6th graders

Please share with me what curric. you are using and why you chose it. I thought I had decided and now I am just lost again. I'd love to see what works for others and why.

Those of you who choose subjects to study instead of grade level, how do you insure your child gets all they need prior to college?

This is what dd did this year:

Math: LoF Decimals and Percents, and LoF Fractions books, extra work in R&S Math

Grammar: R&S 5

Vocab.: "240 Vocabulary Words 6th Grade Kids Need to Know"

Science: NOEO Chem. 2

Handwriting: Getty-Dubay Italic Series

History and Geography: Mapwork and Books on history (our own thing)

Music: Piano Lessons (was asked to be in the Honors Recital!)

Language: Visual Link Spanish--she just got familiar with it. Next year we'll settle in more on Spanish

Logic: 1st two books of the Dandy Lion Series

Community Service: Volunteer at Day Care and Humane Society, She and a friend have started a Kids program: they met with people, and are now committed to raising funds for a playground for a special needs children's group! We are SOOOO excited!

Bible: Bible History, certain time periods, scripture memorization, read through the Bible

She did a lot of reading and did lots of extra research/crafts/reading/labs with the chemistry.

I don't start "worrying" about whether they're getting all the right things until they reach highschool. I let her go with the chemistry stuff this year because she loved it so much. I may try to find things in that area that will help her if she wants to go into that more in highschool and college.

Edited by Brindee

My daughter will be in 6th beginning in July. Here is what she will be doing (I am very excited):

Math-U-See: Pre-Algebra (she is ahead)

Rosetta Stone Spanish

Latina Christiana I

Mindbenders and Case of Red Herrings books, then moving on to other Logic (not certain what as yet)

Spelling Workout G & H

R&S English Grade 7 (ahead)

Exploring Creation with General Science (again ahead)

Bible Studies by Kay Arthur

Writing Strands 4 and 5

History -- we will be doing our own curriculum, preparing to begin Omnibus the following year

Geography - I am planning a Geo. course that we will do with a couple other families

Speech

Piano lessons

Dance & Swimming

Only have a minute but here are a few...

R & S- Math, English, History, Science

Wordly Wise 8

STOW Vol 2

Latina Christiana

Pathway Publishers for Literature

And there are others here and there...but these are the main ones

I have been impressed with R & S in everything, will be using Teaching Textbooks from 7th on, 8th grade DD is using it and I am very happy with it.

history, literature, arts, government, worldview, dictation, geography :TOG Y4 redesign

writing: IEW & Writing Aids (TOG component)

math: Singapore math 6 A & B

science: Real Science for kids-Chemistry and something else...

language: Polish (I am Polish)

grammar: Easy Grammar & Daily Grams

Bible: Inductive Bible study for kids (Key Arthur)

spelling: (probably) All about spelling

logic: Red Herrings

also:

4-H club

Suzuki violin

ballet pre-point :-)

swimming

This is what has worked for us this year for 6th grade:

grammar and composition: Rod and Staff 6 because of its thoroughness and simplicity

science: Apologia Zoology 2 with weekly experiments and written narrations because it is what the boys wanted to study and I could include the 3 older boys all together

Latin: Latina Christiana II because ds likes the predictability of it. He likes routine and I do find it easy to teach.

history, literature, art, geography: Tapestry of Grace Y2 because I like having all of my books chosen for me and organized per week with corresponding maps and literature though we will be moving on to My Father's World next year to simplify even further.

Bible: Rod and Staff Bible because of its thorough journey through the Bible in a chronological and non-preachy way. I feel that it is providing the overview that we will need to get into more in-depth study in high school.

We used Winter Promise: Quest for the Ancient World. I was looking for a literature oriented program and found Beautiful Feet and Sonlight to be too advanced for my son. Winter promise has a middlers program (grades 4-6) which looked wonderful! It's actually a literature/unit study combination with lots of projects to do as well. I found most of the books exciting (with a few exceptions) and we did do a few of the projects, but not many as we would have liked) because we spent a lot of time on language arts and math. Then, because we got off to a late start, our year will be ending with the Greeks and I'll be selling my program and finishing the study of Rome either over the summer or in September using History Pockets in conjunction with Homeschool in the Woods New Testament history. (I am however, still using Classical Kids (great book!), Gladiators, and The Bronze Bow, and of course, the Bible. Winter promise covers some science (archaeology and "ancient science."

For math we use Math-U-See epsilon, Critical Thinking Math Story Problems, and Building Thinking Skills (which really isn't math, but I categorize it with problem solving)- Language Arts fluctuates between Learning Language Arts through Literature, Total Language Plus guides, And Progeny Press for variety through the year. We do copywork and Daily Grams as well. I stuck a little extra grammar in there just for fun using A Beka, but I hated it! Had I known about Growing with Grammar, life would have been easier.

We utilize our co-op science themes which this year was: Hydrology and Weather. We go into more depth at home on our own time.

DS also enjoys piano and chorus, Range Riders club (at church), & Contenders of the Faith. For physical education DS spent most of the year getting up at 5:15 in the morning to go to the Latitude gym three mornings per week which he loved! He had phys ed and drama at the co-op as well.

I know we did more than that, but I'm blown away looking at everything we did accomplish! Wow! In retrospect, I didn't know we did that much!

Guest LeslieAnn

Hi Heather. We use Rod and Staff. I have been using ABeka but decided to go more with R&S. I use Mystery of History, and Christian Kids Explore series. Rod and Staff are mennonite and I love the morals. I also like the way they teach... especially math!! ABeka was too difficult. We had more tears shed over that with my 5th grader than ever before. MOH is awesome. I really like what she has to say. Christian Kids Explore series is great too. I hope this helps.

We used Winter Promise: Quest for the Ancient World. I was looking for a literature oriented program and found Beautiful Feet and Sonlight to be too advanced for my son. Winter promise has a middlers program (grades 4-6) which looked wonderful! It's actually a literature/unit study combination with lots of projects to do as well. I found most of the books exciting (with a few exceptions) and we did do a few of the projects, but not many as we would have liked) because we spent a lot of time on language arts and math. Then, because we got off to a late start, our year will be ending with the Greeks and I'll be selling my program and finishing the study of Rome either over the summer or in September using History Pockets in conjunction with Homeschool in the Woods New Testament history. (I am however, still using Classical Kids (great book!), Gladiators, and The Bronze Bow, and of course, the Bible. Winter promise covers some science (archaeology and "ancient science."

For math we use Math-U-See epsilon, Critical Thinking Math Story Problems, and Building Thinking Skills (which really isn't math, but I categorize it with problem solving)- Language Arts fluctuates between Learning Language Arts through Literature, Total Language Plus guides, And Progeny Press for variety through the year. We do copywork and Daily Grams as well. I stuck a little extra grammar in there just for fun using A Beka, but I hated it! Had I known about Growing with Grammar, life would have been easier.

We utilize our co-op science themes which this year was: Hydrology and Weather. We go into more depth at home on our own time.

DS also enjoys piano and chorus, Range Riders club (at church), & Contenders of the Faith. For physical education DS spent most of the year getting up at 5:15 in the morning to go to the Latitude gym three mornings per week which he loved! He had phys ed and drama at the co-op as well.

I know we did more than that, but I'm blown away looking at everything we did accomplish! Wow! In retrospect, I didn't know we did that much!

What all does Winter's Promise really cover? We have a LA program picked out, but we need history and geography. Are these History Pockets part of WP or something else? WP site confuses me and I can't figure out what is included with what.

Hi Heather. We use Rod and Staff. I have been using ABeka but decided to go more with R&S. I use Mystery of History, and Christian Kids Explore series. Rod and Staff are mennonite and I love the morals. I also like the way they teach... especially math!! ABeka was too difficult. We had more tears shed over that with my 5th grader than ever before. MOH is awesome. I really like what she has to say. Christian Kids Explore series is great too. I hope this helps.

They used Abeka in DD co-op year. I know she does not like it. Thank you for the other suggestions and for the info about R&S. I did not know it was Mennonite. We have a Mennonite community right near us, and they intrigue me so much.

My ds (11) will start 6th grade in the September. We will be using:

Saxon Math 8/7 supported with Living Math

Easy Grammar w/ Daily Grams 6

Sequential Spelling 3

Lightning Lit Grade 7 combined w/ Jamestown Publishing's Best of Nonfiction (part of my three-year plan)

Vocabulary for Enjoyment-Book 1 w/ Vocabulary from Classical Roots A

(Although, my children have used Sadlier-Oxford's Vocabulary Workshop for several years. It is inexpensive and seems to be very effective. I would just like to try something different!)

History - We will be covering World History with US History included over the next 3 years. This year will be Ancient History up through Early Middle Ages (before the Vikings). Sonlight 6 & 7, Trism's History Makers, and History Odyssey-Ancients (2) combined.

Science-at local ps (or Apologia General Science if he doesn't like ps program)

Harmony Fine Arts Art and Music

Swim Team

We used Sonlight 5 for social studies/history. It taught the skill of looking up info in an encyclopedia, along with discussing extensive reading.

Rod and Staff 6 - we only got thru chapter 6

We started with Abeka 6, but then moved into Teaching Textbooks pre-algebra

Bob Jones Reading 6 - (I focused on the lessons of literature analysis)

Handbell choir, and piano lessons

IEW for writing - we started this late in the year and it is fabulous

Wordly Wise

Science - Sonlight 5

This is what dd did this year:

Math: LoF Decimals and Percents, and LoF Fractions books, extra work in R&S Math

Grammar: R&S 5

Vocab.: "240 Vocabulary Words 6th Grade Kids Need to Know"

Science: NOEO Chem. 2

Handwriting: Getty-Dubay Italic Series

History and Geography: Mapwork and Books on history (our own thing)

Music: Piano Lessons (was asked to be in the Honors Recital!)

Language: Visual Link Spanish--she just got familiar with it. Next year we'll settle in more on Spanish

Logic: 1st two books of the Dandy Lion Series

Community Service: Volunteer at Day Care and Humane Society, She and a friend have started a Kids program: they met with people, and are now committed to raising funds for a playground for a special needs children's group! We are SOOOO excited!

Bible: Bible History, certain time periods, scripture memorization, read through the Bible

She did a lot of reading and did lots of extra research/crafts/reading/labs with the chemistry.

I don't start "worrying" about whether they're getting all the right things until they reach highschool. I let her go with the chemistry stuff this year because she loved it so much. I may try to find things in that area that will help her if she wants to go into that more in highschool and college.

I love that! My DD wants to do charity work for the children of the Appalachian mountains. How does volunteering at the HS work?

We simply study most things to mastery. I have a good feel for what I mastered by the end of my High School career, and which things would have helped me to college to have a better grasp of, so I use that as a guide.

My oldest is going to by 6th next year and she will do:

Right Start level E and start Geometry.

Singapore Primary Math 6ish (she may be a little behind and finish it next year, but a good base is more important than being on schedule for Singapore-which is actually ahead of US standards).

Why? Right Start in hands on and deals with the why's of math very well. Singapore is very good for making kids think. I use both because RS leaves off after Geometry and my dd will do Singapore for upper level math. She needs to understand the methodology of Singapore Primary texts to do well in the upper levels. Both focus on the why of math vs. doing lots of practice.

Classical Writing Homer B and Beginning Poetry B (includes Literature Analysis)

Finish Analytical Grammar

Finish Lively Latin, start Lively Latin 2

All About Spelling (continue till finished, then will continue with SWR-she wants to master spelling though she is a good speller, will eventually move to megawords).

Why? Classical Writing takes a lot of pain out of writing by having the child re-write current works vs. thinking up something new. My dd loves to rewrite, but she changes large parts of it (and that is Ok as long as she doesn't change the moral of the story). It also teaches the child different methods to work with their writing to get out of problem spots they might run into. Overall I find it developmentally appropriate yet demanding.

All About Spelling does a great job of teaching the why of spelling, though the words are too easy for her. Once we have the methodology down, she will apply it to other word lists, probably SWR because I already own it.

Lively Latin we are doing at a snail's pace so that she has more time for math. She will eventually finish it and know Latin. :D In the mean time we plod on...I chose it because it was the only program I got when I looked at the samples. I didn't have any Latin experience, but I do have Spanish and French. I was surprised how many samples didn't make any sense to me. My dd loves the little figures, the stories that are included and the work seems to reinforce what is being learned without being too repetitive. It has been a good fit.

Analytical Grammar just makes sense to ME. Given it is my weakest area I needed something that wasn't a stretch for me. It is also working well for my dd.

Apologia General for science (outlines her reading).

Why? Dd begged for it and I caved. :D Now that the God's Design series has gone color I probably would have done their physics levels instead, but when I called this fall they told me they weren't redoing anything, so I bought other stuff, so already started it and it appears to be going well.

Bible Study Guide for All Ages (continue...) We both enjoy this a lot, it is deceptively simple, yet does everything I can want. The drills work on mastering the little things, like the books of the Bible, 7 days of creation, ect.. the review keeps stories you have covered already in mind, and while I thought I would hate that it jumps around instead of going straight through I love it. They cover things in just big enough chunks to be understandable and yet they change focus enough to not get board.

Tapestry of Grace for Literature, History, Art History, Music History, and Worldivew.

Why? I (note all me) love the integration of topics in TOG, who you see the bigger picture of music, literature, art, philosophy, religion, government and how they all related for the time period being studied. I pretty much use it like I did Sonlight when I use to use that.

Heather

This is what my son will be doing for sixth grade, beginning in August:

Bible/Character - Memoria Press Christian Studies III and other books, such as Tiger and Tom, Moral Compass, etc.

Math - Singapore level 6; and he may be doing some algebra work with a tutor, as well

Spelling - last level of Spelling Workout

Writing - Writing Strands 3 and 4

Handwriting - Getty-Dubay Italics

Grammar - Abeka, God's Gift of Language level C, and Oral Language Lessons

Literature - books that go along with our history studies, mostly historical fiction

Geography - Holling book Tree in the Trail, along with Beautiful Feet guide

Spanish - Spanish for Children

Latin - Latin Primer II

History - medieval studies using various encyclopedias, SOTW, living books, etc.

Reading that mostly goes along with our history studies, although he'll be reading some for science, too

Science - earth and space studies using various things, such as living books, the MS Nucleus site as my "spine", a Barron's book I recently got that covers earth science, perhaps the CPO earth science text I just got (haven't looked over it thoroughly yet)....

That's about all I can think of right now,

We're just finishing 6th grade this year:

Math--

LOF:Fractions and LOF: Decimals and Percents (love LOF!)

Saxon 7/6 until about February when I finally ditched it for good in favor of Teaching Textbooks 7. We had reached a point at which Saxon was just introducing new and more complex topics too quickly. I'd take a week to review, then move on only to find that we needed to take another week to review. It wasn't worth it and was really causing terrible attitudes with both me and DS.

Just added: Copying the Facts--math copywork, downloaded from Currclick.com for $5.95

Writing--

Classical Writing: We probably should have done CW for Older Beginners but now that I know that we're just picking up the pace to finish Homer in June

Latin--

Latin Primer 3--it was originally recommended in TWTM and we had already started the series and were doing well with it before the 2nd edition came out. DS thrived with it, but we took advantage of a tutoring opportunity in 5th grade that used a different book so we're just finishing LP3. I believe we'll be switching to Henle next year. LP is fine, but what I've read of Henle sounds like it will appeal to DS. Plus the series will take him into high school.

Grammar--

Abeka's God's Gift of Language C--this was originally recommended in TWTM and since it was working well for us we stuck with it. FWIW, I like having one or two workbook subjects that are easy to do in the car or in the waiting room at the doctor's office. Abeka has way more exercises than anyone would ever need so every so often I go through and circle the exercises or parts of them that DS needs to do. I also mark which charts or definitions need to be copied for his notebook.

Spelling--

Spelling Workout...umm, F? I think? We got a little behind because in first grade DS would burst into tears when he had to write anything and I didn't think it was worth the hassle to push it so we postponed beginning spelling until towards the end of that year. I figured we would catch up sometime, but often when we have a busy week, spelling is one of the things that gets pushed aside (that and fine arts). DS scored badly in spelling in 1st and 2nd grade and his scored skyrocketed in 3rd grade. Nothing significant changed in our curriculum, so I attribute this to his reading skills taking off (willingly reading longer books for his own entertainment) at the end of 2nd grade, after our testing had already been completed. Inexpensive, low-maintenance. Hopefully we can get through the last two next year to get back on track.

History--

SOTW 2 + Kingfisher. I've been pretty bad about having DS do history outlines/summaries this year. We did well last year but CW Homer has more in-depth requirements, plus we're doing Omnibus (more on that later). I'm hoping to have him do a few more by the end of the year. He does, however, have to fill out a form for "Great Men/Women" and "Primary Sources". I just modified what WTM says to have them do notebook pages on.

Omnibus--

This was sort of an experiment. Omnibus I is intended as a 7th grade literature/religion/history by Veritas Press. But it covers ancient times and we did that in 5th grade. So I compared the 6th grade reading list from WTM with the readings covered in Omnibus II and decided it was worth a try. It has actually gone really, really well. Now don't get the idea that we did ever single reading or every single writing assignment or that we always used the suggested editions of the readings we did. For the most part I used WTM recommended editions since they were intended for 6th graders rather than 8th graders. We did most of the Primary and Secondary readings, we discussed the readings orally referring to the discussion questions, and ocassionally did the extra activities (writing, picture study, etc.) I'm thinking of doing the same thing next year with Omnibus III since there is once again significant overlap between it and WTM. However, Omnibus III actually covers moderns too, so we'll actually only do about half of it. I thought perhaps I might use it for 8th too, but I'm not very happy with the selections for modern readings so we'll either use TOG or something else...yet to be determined.

Bible

For most of the year DS used the Soul Gear devotional books. They're a bit twaddley, but he really enjoyed them so I figured they balanced out the heavy lifting he was doing in other areas. He would read a chapter from one of these books on Mondays (Weird and Gross Bible Stuff, Bible Wars and Weapons, etc.) Then on the other weekdays he read scriptures based on the "Bible View" discussion questions from Omnibus. When he didn't have a specific, assigned reading he just worked his way through various books (I Sam. when his Bible class was studying this, Acts because I think it's a fantastic, action-packed book that everyone can enjoy). He still does daily Bible readings (working toward the Boy Scouts' religious emblem award) but together we take about 5-10 minutes to do a page in Drawing to Learn Proverbs from Notgrass. Everyone, even the toddler can do this together and it's very low-maintenance.

Memory Work/Copywork

This is always either the first or second item of the day (depending on when everyone is ready to do Bible together). Last summer (thanks to inspiration from Kendra at www.preschoolersandpeace.com) I printed out all of the memory verses, science facts, kings of England, poems, etc. that I wanted him to memorize and put them in a folder. During the course of the year I also added the Boy Scout law and oath, math rules (how to find the diameter of a circle, pi to 5 decimal places, etc.) and other things that came up. At the beginning of the year I helped him work on these each morning. At some point they became his responsibility and he was just required to read each page every day. I quiz him from time to time, but I've been THRILLED with how well this has worked. It literally took 5-10 minutes each day and we very painless for everyone involved.

Copywork is always the third thing each day. We've used Julie Shields' (Julie in GA) Medieval Copybook. We use Getty-Dubay Italics. She actually has it available in different writing styles. There is also an Ancient Copybook and I think she's working on another one to follow Medieval. This came about after I told DS if he could show consistently neat handwriting in all subjects he would no longer be required to do it as a separate subject. Well, he didn't quite uphold his end of the bargain, but I thought maybe history (his favorite subject) as copywork would make it a little more interesting. It has worked beautifully and even though his handwriting in other subjects has improved, we're going to stick with it. In fact, I've even ordered Italic Science from Italic Builders and will add that to his copywork next year. And I've already mentioned the math copywork.

Fine Arts--

This was on the schedule for every Friday but after the first few weeks it was pretty much hit-or-miss. More misses than hits in fact. I had thought I would use Harmony Fine Arts and we may still use it next year. But sometimes at the end of the week we were just done. I did get some use out of my Usborne Internet-Linked Introduction to Art. It's the first I-L book we owned and the kids had a great time on the website.

Oh, and Logic--

I almost forgot. The original WTM recommended Introductory Logic for 6th grade after using the Mindbenders books in 5th. I found a deal on IL so we began the year with it. The first lesson was fine. The second was o.k. The third was over his head. So formal logic studies are on hold for a bit. I'm thinking of continuing with the Mindbenders and maybe doing Fallacy Detective next year. Then maybe in 8th grade we'll come back to IL.

Science--

We did Apologia's Astronomy in the Fall and we're doing WTM suggestions for earth science right now.

I hope that's helpful to you. Blessings!

Edited by Suzannah
Forgot to include science

This is what we are planning starting in August. We use LCC as our framework and most of our materials are not grade level.

Latin - Latin for Children B

Writing/Grammar - CW Homer OB

Math - Pre-algebra Dolciani

History - Famous Men of the Middle Ages

Science (wavering daily on this) - Science Matters (supplemented with various experiments and living science books)

Religion - Positive Action Wise up (study on Proverbs)

Lit - King Arthur and Robin Hood

Art/Music - period or person on the month study

Geography - will finish world geography study if not done over summer

Logic - Art of Argument

I have a 6th grader this year. He is doing the following:

Singapore Math 6A/B & Logic Maths (Singapore is rigorous and focuses on mental math & really understanding the concepts. Just what we were looking for.)

Memory Work (AWANA/Charlotte Mason Scripture Memory/IEW's Poetry) I LOVE IEW's program. Great selections, easy to implement, quick, etc.)

Latin for Children Primer C (We love the DVD lessons. It moves quickly which has prevented boredom.)

Classical Writing: Homer (finishing A & beginning B) (I just LOVE how rigorous this curriculum is. It is thorough, and builds so beautifully on previously learned concepts. My kids have really done well with it.)

Harvey's Grammar (With the exception of the antiquated vocabulary, this program has been very thorough and easy to teach.)

The Teaching Company's Early Middle Ages and Late Middle Ages courses (My son adores history and needed something more rigorous than what the rest of us were doing (SOTW). This is a great fit for him. He watches the DVD, takes notes, turns his notes into an outline, then writes a 2 page paper on the topic.)

Noeo Chemistry (Level 2) (A nice combo of reading, writing, and experiments.)

Literature List (Chosen by me. We have chosen a nice mix of historical fiction, biographies, and literature for the year.)

Piano

Fencing

He also has a year long project to create a computer game with Dad (the resident geek:-)

I find that gaps in his knowledge have made themselves known, allowing us to stop, address the problem, and move on. It hasn't been a really big deal.

HTH,

Latin - Latin Prep

Writing - Writing Tales 2/IEW Ancients

Grammar - GWG 5

Math - Saxon 65

History - Ambleside Online/SL lists/PTP/History Odyssey Level 2 Ancients (only for Rome for the last quarter)

Science - R&S Science

Literature - Ambleside/SL/HO Level 2

Art/Music - hit and miss

Health - Boyhood and Beyond, etc. books

P.E. - this kid works out....pull-ups with Iron Gym mostly

Here's our plan for fall:

Algebra 1 -- Algebra: Structure and Method

Latin -- Latin Prep 3

History -- History Odyssey level 2 (logic stage) Middle Ages

Literature -- Lightning Lit 7

additional reading from the WTM 6th grade reading list

Greek -- Elementary Greek

Writing -- assignments from History Odyssey and Lightning Lit, and possibly Imitations in Writing Medieval

Logic -- Critical Thinking

Geography -- Geography Coloring Book

Science -- still trying to decide on a text...

Art -- Meet the Masters and Discoveries in Art (Calvert)

Music -- various sources

PE- ballet 3x week, plus some other activity (may be changing for fall, so not 100% sure yet)

ETA: Also memory work drawn from Drew Campbell's Living Memory and other works...

Edited by abbeyej

Calvin is studying:

So You Really Want to Learn English 3 and LL7

So You Really Want to Learn Maths 3 and LOF Fractions, Decimals and Percents

An online classical civilisation class

Geography for GCSE

Latin Prep 3

IAM ICT (computing)

Poetry memorisation

Recorder From the Beginning Book 3

Light weight music theory

So You Really Want to Learn French 1

Running every day; swimming once a week; Taekwondo twice

RE - Galore Park programme

Draw Squad (intermittent)

Mandarin - community school

Laura

My oldest went to ps for 6th grade at her request.

My middle was in 6th grade two years ago:

SL Core 7 history (SOTW3 and SOTW4) and readalouds and most of the readers

Megawords 3 and 4

Institute for Excellence in Writing - SWI-B

Prentice Hall Science Explorer - From Bacteria to Plants, Inside Earth, Weather and Climate, and science co-op 1x/week for physical science

Singapore Math 6A/6B

My youngest will be in 6th grade next year:

SL Core 4 history (US history part 2) and readalouds and readers

Sequential Spelling

Winston Grammar and/or Easy Grammar 3/4

not sure about writing program because she hates IEW

Abecedarian level D

Prentice Hall Science Explorer - mix of titles

Singapore 5B/6A

Evan-Moor Daily Math Practice - finish grade 5 and start grade 6

Edited by AngieW in Texas

Dd is in gr 6 now.

Singapore Math 6, followed by Mathematics (a Russian math book) by Perpendicular Press. We're mathy and like stuff that makes us think. Although the second book is gr 6 in Russia, in some ways it is harder than SM 6, so we're happily doing it afterward because it makes dd think about math in some new ways.

Rod & Staff English. I bought it for my eldest in part for the diagramming. It's solid Grammar, so we stick with it.

Real Science 4 Kids I. We've just started the latest edition of the Biology I The Chemistry was excellent. I've heard mixed reviews about the Biology, but assume it's new & improved; we'll supplement with our Science Encyclopedia.

A Beka Spelling 4 because she started it last year & hasn't finished. Spelling is her hardest subject, although she's improving, so she's behind on this. We bought this our first year homeschooling for my eldest, so it's a hand-me-down.

Latin Primer--because we bought this when we first started. Doesn't seem to be too popular on these boards now, but we'll stick with it for now.

SOTW. Yes, she's a bit old for it, but she loves it and hadn't done III because we did All American History I last year.

Various & sundry other things, but these are the basics.

Well, this is what I have lined up for my 6th grader next year:

Bible: One Year Bible

Grammar/Writing: Rod and Staff 5, written and oral narrations, Queen's

Science: Apologia General

Math: MUS Zeta/ LoF Beginning Algebra

Art: Artistic Pursuits

Lit/Reading: Drawn Into the Heart of Reading with SL books

Dictation: Spelling Wisdom Book 2

Music: Simply Music (piano)

Latin: Getting Started With Latin and First Form

..and Heart of Dakota Bigger and Preparing with his younger siblings.

:001_smile:

I don't feel like listing it all out, but it's alot of the same as what people have posted.

As far as worrying about high school, I haven't started doing that yet. My line of thinking is that we are still on the edge of the "young" side, about to cross over. I am slowly working him to the upper grades. I have planned out Math and History, as far as, where he would be by graduation based on what we are doing now. I will probably sit down and figure it all out right before 8th grade, as that gives us a couple of years to catch up on anything if need be, and make sure all bases are covered.

hth

For my sixth grader next year:

Bible: Bible Study Guide for All Ages, along with his younger sisters.

Latin: Latin Prep--he has finished LCII, and I think the different tone and "feel" of the LP text will be refreshing for him.

Math: TT7, because he is a hugely auditory learner. TT has been wonderful for him.

Grammar and Composition: R&S 6, because we've been doing R&S since first grade, and my instinct is to stick with it!

Vocabulary from Classical Roots A: He is a whiz at spelling, and I am just *done* with doing spelling with him, so he's moving on to vocab study.

Reading: A reading list focusing on Ancients, also including science and Bible focused books. Fiction, nonfiction, biography.

History: Ancients, with his little sisters doing SOTW 1. I haven't decided on a spine for him yet, but definitely want to use the Oxford Ancient World books fairly heavily, because I love their focus on primary sources.

Geography: The Geography Coloring Book.

Science: ????? Argh, argh, argh. Shoot me now.

Art: Pottery class, Artistic Pursuits, Photography class, Core FX

Music: Choir, Piano

Computer skills: Terrapin Logo

Hoping for a great year for him!

Technically, my son will be in Grade 6 next year. We will continue to do what we began in January. I make my plans from January to January.

Math: Singapore. Currently doing 4B at double pace to "catch up." I'm not sure whether to continue this pace with 5A & B, though it doesn't seem to be hurting. I'm strongly considering adding Right Start Geometry to the mix as well, or Life of Fred, so we'll see.

Latin: Lively Latin 2

Grammar: Rod and Staff. Currently in Book 4. We're doing four lessons a week, again to "catch up." He should finish 5 and perhaps be in Book 6 by this time next year.

Writing: Classical Writing Homer A. We just started this. We may take it slow--or we may not. If we don't go too slowly, we'll have time for Beginning poetry before Christmas which would be a nice break before starting Homer B. We'll play it by ear.

Spelling: SWR, Lists N to P, repeated 2x.

History: SoTW Vol 3 with co-reading in various publications and studied concurrently with Canadian History. This will take us to Christmas. I'm not sure whether we'll continue with SoTW or modern or not.

Music: He studies piano and will sit his first grade exam next year. For Music appreciation, I'm doing what I can to follow The guide to the history of Classical music by Beautiful Feet.

Art: Artistic Pursuits.

Logic: I'm giving this a rest for a bit. I'd rather he worked on a solid program on arguments and fallacies. Have yet to do my research on that, though.

I'm not sure whether this child will go to University. (All of the funds we'd been putting towards this have been wiped out.)

I have no clue what is in his future.

Life of Fred Math Fractions and Decimals / Math Mammoth Golden Series 6 (Real life learner so LoF is a good fit)

Hake Grammar 6 (Solid program - nothing exciting)

Classical Writing Homer A

TruthQuest History (because that is what we do as a group)

Abeka Science (because I owned it)

We're finishing up 6th grade with:

Math: NEM 1 supplementing with BCM

LA: Spelling Mastery levels D & E, IEW, and class via Home2Teach, We completed about 3/4 of Rod & Staff and moved onto the Grammar Key and Jensen's Punctuation

History: SOTW IV with AG

Science: Multiple resources

Japanese: Rosetta Stone

Bible: just reading together

Memory Work: I pick and choose

Lit: selection both related to history and independent of it. We both read and discuss

Art and Music are done via outside classes.

Wanted to add the things that have really worked well for us: BCM, IEW, Spelling Mastery, SOTW, Rosetta Stone. All of these really did their jobs.

Edited by Stacy in NJ
add

The plan for 6th, regrettably not going to be implemented until October most likely as we are way behind in 5th due to an overseas move:

History/literature reading- Ancients, SL Core 6

some Asian history I am throwing together

Math- Chalkdust Basic math

Probably ought ot get SM CWP as DD struggles mightily with word problems. I hate them, myself, and feel like screaming if I have to teach it, but...

English- Sequential Spelling 3, WW ?( I forget what book she is on now), GWG 6, some random literature study books and maybe CW Poetry. Probably more handwriting (cursive) as DD is perpetually dreadful in this area. IEW Ancients, too, almost forgot.

Geography- Geography songs with her little sis (don't laugh- we've all learned so much from these this year, we are doing them again next year!)

Korean- some stuff I threw together, possibly Rosetta Stone or outside classes as well

Science- Thames and Kosmos kit on ancients, reading

Art/Music appreciation- Maybe Harmony Fine Arts, maybe Meet the Masters, maybe nothing!

Logic- anyone got a secualr, formal logic recommendation?? We are doing philosophy for children from Angelicum, but I got the book and immediately shipped it to our soon-to-be-new house and haven't actually looked at it.

Latin- Lively Latin. We did Minimus this year, but I know no Latin and am not particularly enthusiastic to teach myself via Henle, et al, so Lively Latin looks the most "self- teaching".

Maybe a Socratic discussion class with Angelicum.

Maybe science or art at the middle school on post.

Ballet for sure, found a good school.

Hopefully some rhythmic gymnastics as they will be lost without it, but it ain't looking good.

Edited by camibami
Forgot Latin and IEW!

Bible: Reading, memory verses etc. with family

Math CLE (LOve it! Lots like Saxon in a workbook)

Reading: CLE Calls to Courage (The BEST reading program I have come across)

LA: (Spelling, Grammar, Vocabulary) CLE (If it is even close to as good as the Math and Reading, I will be thrilled)

Writing: IEW Theme Based Lessons

History: SOTW 3 into 4 with Sonlight 6 readers

Science: Apologia Zoology 3 Land Animals with written narrations

Logic: Mindbenders, Orbiting with Logic, Logic Anyone, Fallacy Detective

I may try to do Latina Christiana AGAIN...but we didn't really have time this year and I am not sure I will have time next year. I may just use Vocab from the Classical roots with this child because I can't see taking time from core subjects...which she needs lots of time for...to do Latin.)

We will also be doing art, poetry, music, nature study etc. I do these pretty unschooly, but it actually gets done more often than our scheduled subjects.:confused:

Edited by Mommyfaithe
weird smiley

We are finishing 6th grade in a couple of weeks. Our curriculum:

Sonlight Core 6 (Ancient - Renaissance) - covers our history, readers & read-aloud. I added in the mapwork from SOTW activity guides and added in the SOTW test books as review, not a test. He also did a few activities from the SOTW activity guide, but most of them were for younger kids. He probably did about one activity per month. We called them "discoveries." He attended a field trip on the physics of catapults and trebuchets, hosted by the state university educational outreach team.

IEW - 1st half of Ancient History-Based Writing Lessons and 2nd half of Medieval History-Based Writing Lessons

Teaching the Classics - we tried this and analyzed Peter Rabbit, but we never picked it up again.

Horizons Math 6 - this is a wonderful program. We are sorry we are finished w/their materials.

For science, ds is on a First Lego League team, so that determined his studies for the fall. The 2008 theme was "Climate Connections," which led to a study of Earth systems science, a study of local climate and a project. For the Earth systems science, he studied Dr. Art's Guide to Planet Earth, which is a fantastic book. For the local information, he was involved in interviews with some professors at our state university (which is in our town), the state climatology office and a water use expert, again from the state university. They also talked with a local gardening/landscaping expert when they were working on their project. Beginning in January, we expanded a bit on Earth science and studied geology. I used part of WP Geology Rocks and added in some interesting reading. It was very casual. Next year he will have a more formal study of science.

For vocabulary, he used Vocabulary from the Classical Roots, book 6 and book A. He did very well in book 6, but book A was a little too much for him, so we stopped in March. We will start book A over again in the fall.

For grammar, we used Fix It from IEW. He worked on the Frog Prince.

For Fine Arts - he attended a wonderful art class and a digital photography class through our homeschool co-op.

Also through our co-op he took Introduction to JAVA Programming and Mock Trial. Both were good classes. The Mock Trial involved a final mock trial that was open to the public. The stepmother sued Cinderella for defamation of character. It was very good. The programming class was good as well and he has expressed a desire to continue studying JAVA.

For Bible, we read three chapters of the Bible each day. We just started w/Genesis a couple of years ago and we will be finishing with John by the end of this school year. In the fall, we will pick up where we left off.

Phew. It's almost over, then on to 7th!

For this year for 6th, we did/are finishing over summer:

Latin Prep 1--Wonderful program. She really loves it. Next year, however, I've signed her up for an online Latin class. She's ahead of me in Latin, and I think she could use a knowledgeable teacher! Which I am not.:tongue_smilie:

Galore Park So You Really Want to Learn English 2--Really lovely and challenging program! My only regret with this is that we could not do the many outside reading recommendations because we are doing Sonlight--which we love as well. Too many books, so little time. :D

Galore Park So You Really Want to Learn Science 2--Nice, easy to use program that gets the job done!

Sonlight Core 5 for History and Literature--we are really enjoying Sonlight. I wasn't sure how it would go, but my daughter is getting a lot out of this. She even enjoys the Eastern Hemisphere Explorer, and a lot of people don't like that part of it. It is lacking good poetry IMO. So, we do add some of that. My kiddo also does lots of free reading, which I allow even if it gets us somewhat behind in Sonlight. She reads some of the Ambleside selections, poetry, some Shakespeare, so I'm okay with going slower. But now, we are anxious to do Core 6 and we can't start till probably late September! Oh, we did not enjoy the Bible portion of Core 5. It was just so busywork-ish.

Artistic Pursuits--Alas, we have not gotten as much done in this as I would like.

Singapore Math--We'll hopefully finish thru 6B by end of September and then I am *planning* to move her onto NEM, but we'll see. I've also got Foerster's and Jacobs in the wings. Singapore is wonderful for this child. She has learned so much.

Outside classes--dance, piano and violin. Swim team in summer, too. I feel like this is all too much, but I just feel torn where she should cut something.

HTH,

Anita

Our Current 6th Grade Lineup:

Bible: Rod & Staff Bible 5

Music: Piano (although this has been put aside) & we are also studying 4 classical composers and some of their works

Latin: We finished up Latina Christiana & started Henle Latin I

Math: Rod & Staff Math 6

Spelling: Rod & Staff 5

Literature: Various

Typing

Memory Work

Grammar: Rod & Staff 5

Writing: Classical Writing Homer A

History: Ancients

Science: PH Physical Science

Logic: Sodoku 4 Kids; Grid Perplexors: Dandy Lion Logic Books

Art: Art Pac

Spanish: United Streaming Elementary Spanish 5/6

PE: TKD; Wii Fit; plus other outside activity

My 6th grader next year (who has reading and writing issues):

FLL4 w/ WWE 3-4 OR Rod and Staff English 5 (haven't decided yet)

All About Spelling

MindBenders and Critical Thinking Book 1

ACE PACES Math with Singapore Challenging Word Problems

Story of the World 1 w/ tests and Kingfisher Illustrated History

WTM Logic Biology OR Prentice Hall Life Science (haven't decided yet)

Spanish for Children A

WTM Reading suggestions

Bible and History- MFW Ex-1850

Math- TT 7 and LoF Decimals and Percents

Latin- Lively Latin

Grammar- Analytical Grammar

Writing- IEW

Spelling- Spelling Power

Literature- List to match up with historical time period

Science- trying to decide if he should just do MFW with the youngers or if I should start him in Apologia General

Piano, Trumpet, and Soccer

Just got back from the PA convention last night and I think I have a plan!

Bible - Looking into the Bible Bee. Or maybe we will just read together this year, without a book. I think she is old enough but I do need a plan; otherwise it will not get done.

Math - TT 6

Reading - I have a list of historical fiction to line up with History as well as some other books I want her to read.

Writing - I may have her do some WWE - I will *place* her and then decide. After that, outlining using Paragraph Writing Made Easy and then outlining some History and Science. And some short reports using Writing Step by Step.

Spelling - We will start Phonetic Zoo A. She will either love it or hate it! If she hates it we will finish Spelling Plus.

Grammar- Growing with Grammar 6. I saw it this weekend and I like it a lot!

History - A little complicated but I think it will work for us. SOTW3 - she just has to read the chapters, narrate and then take the test. BJU The American Republic - she specifically requested this book so I am trying to make it work! She will do half the book this year and the other half next year with SOTW4. I ordered the activity book from BJU and I am hoping that it will turn out to be exactly the right amount of work. Oh - planning to add maps from Knowledge Quest to the SOTW maps and then pick from each set.

Science - Chemistry Lite ;) using Chemical Chaos and a bunch of experiment kits I bought yesterday. If we need more information I have the Chemistry Level 1 book from Real Science 4 Kids and I am sure we can pick up something from the library.

Health - Human Body. I bought up a workbook, an Usborne book and some interesting books to read. We usually do not do this much for health but we are not doing much science so it will even out, I think.

Logic - 2 Dandy Lion workbooks that looked just right for her. We have used some Mind Benders and she asked for something new - no puzzles!

Art - If we do not do outside lessons this year (depends on the $$$) I will have her work through the ABCs of Art from Visual Manna. I used this book with my older children several years ago and we all learned a lot. The local co-op offers Art and Drama - maybe.

Music - :confused: Maybe choir at the co-op. Maybe violin (her preference) or piano, if we can afford it. Maybe very little music - just listening :glare:

Typing - Mavis Beacon

Handwriting - Finally making her do cursive. I bought a book from HWT which looks just about right for her.

PE - May be dropping Ballet - sigh. But our HS group goes Ice Skating every winter and we have a great soccer league in the spring. Would like to add swimming but.....even dropping Ballet will not lead to enough money for swimming and music lessons! The co-op is offering Tae Kwon Do this year, but I do not think that she is interested.

I feel good about our academic plans but I reall need to decide about the extra-curric stuff. If we join the coop it will change things! We generally use M-F during the day for school and do the extras in the evening/on the weekends. Being out every Wednesday morning....I am not so sure.

I have a 6th grader this year. We school year round so we are still working on some of this.

Math-Singapore

Latin-Henle

French-First Start French

English-CW Homer with Harvey's Elem. Grammar

History-various books. We have started two chains of history so we have American History and World History

Science-Magnets, Electricity and Inventors

Art-History of Art Painting

Music-piano lessons

P.E.-various activities and some from Homeschool group

Literature-Children of New Forest, Robinson Crusoe, Midsummer Night's Dream, Courtship of Miles Standish, Rip Van Winkle, Anne of Green Gables,some biographies and more poetry

Geography-Seabird with the map from BF and now Book of Marvels

HTH:001_smile:

• 4 weeks later...
I love that! My DD wants to do charity work for the children of the Appalachian mountains. How does volunteering at the HS work?
Sorry, I am just seeing this. You just have to be 10 or 11 to volunteer, I forget which. You go fill out a form, and our HS wants them to go through 3 classes before they can be full volunteers. You sign up for hours you can work and what you're most interested in, then they call you in or set up a regular schedule to come in. She loves it! :001_smile:

I'd have your dd look up info. about those children and see if there are people she can contact, and what the legalities and needs are and how she could help. People love having kids help out! My dd has been blessed with a lady that writes grants, and does fundraising work, that is meeting with the girls to help them through the legalitites and getting their game-plan stet up. They're almost to the "launch" point, which is exciting! It keeps you, as the mom, busy with the meetings and plans and all that's involved, but it's amazing what 11 & 12 year olds can accomplish! Plus these girls are getting their highschool AND college civics and economics courses in right now, and it's FUN! They have learned and are learning so much!

Our (fluid) plan:

Bible - Gospel cards from Veritas Press

Math - Math U See Zeta, supplemented with real life math problems

Grammar - Analytical Grammar

Writing - Classical Writing Homer

Spelling - Spelling Power

History - as described in the latest edition of TWTM for logic stage

Literature - ditto

Latin - First Form

Logic - Mindbenders and Red Herrings

Science - Exploration Education

Art/Music appreciation - Handle on the Arts

Music lessons - guitar

PE - starting club soccer this year, so plenty of that!

Since everything is ordered, let's hope it is not so fluid anymore!

Here's what I'm looking at for my upcoming 6th grader:

English. CW Homer B, Comic Strip Grammar, Caught Ya Grammar, Spelling Workout G

Math. Singapore 5A-5B, Life of Fred fractions/decimals

Arabic. Badran level 3, Gateway to Arabic (not sure which level yet), homemade reading and handwriting work. He also attends a related class four nights a week.

Logic. Advancing/Thinking through Analogies, One Hour Mysteries

Science. Mr Q Classic Earth Science, Science in a Nutshell Kits

History. Finish SOTW 3, continue into SOTW 4

Edited by Kate in Arabia

I've recently made a few changes to our sixth grade plan, but I think this is what we'll be doing:

Bible: Christian Studies (Memoria Press)

Math: Chalk Dust Basic Math

Latin: Either Lively Latin 2 or Latin Prep 1 - still haven't decided

Grammar: Growing With Grammar 6

History: History Odyssey (Ancients, Level 2)

Science: The Story of Science - Aristotle Leads the Way with Milestones in Science for experiments

Literature: WTM list for logic stage ancients, mainly

Logic: Critical Thinking

Copywork/Dictation/Memory Work: Various sources, including Spelling Wisdom, Living Memory, Linguistic Development Through Poetry Memorization

Composition will be integrated into our history, science, and literature studies. We'll continue to use IEW for structure, but I'm going to lighten up on the style requirements this year and see what happens.

Whew... I'm tired just looking at the list! Thank goodness it's summer vacation :tongue_smilie:.

SBP

Here's what we are doing:

I have no curriculum that I do for all subjects. I am eclectic. I have different programs for different stuff.

1. Math-Primary Mathematic 6A &B, Challenging Word Problems 5, and Life of Fred Decimals and Percents.

2. Reading: Our Island Story, Story of the World Volume 2, Literature Books recommended from Ambleside Online, A Nature Book on Earth Science, other library books on science

3. Writing-Classical Writing Homer A

4. Logic: Building Thinking Skills Level 3

5. Latin: Latina Christiana II (second part)

6. Bible: finishing How to Study Your Bible

Starting the end of August with my ds (who has a July birthday and I keep agonizing over whether he is "ready" for 6th grade, so I am calling this year "5th/6th"):

History/Literature/Geography: Tapestry of Grace Redesign Yr 2. Literature is supplemented with our book discussion group that uses Teaching the Classics to help the kids analyze the books they read.

Writing: IEW's Medieval History-Based Writing Lessons, supplemented by TOG's Writing Aids, and maybe getting going with CW's Homer

Math: Singapore 5A & 5B, supplemented with Horizons workbooks & Life of Fred Decimals

Latin: Memoria Press's First Form Latin, then Second Form Latin (we are partway through First Form now)

Greek: we'll have another go at Elementary Greek. This year it kept getting "bumped."

Grammar: Rod & Staff 6

Logic: Critical Thinking Books 1 & 2

Spelling: Spelling Power, supplemented with Vocabulary from Classical Roots 4

Bible: Bible Study Guide for All Ages 2

Science: Singapore's MPH Science

Memory Work: selections from Living Memory, IEW's poetry memorization book, and all the other stuff I think he should learn!

Artistic Pursuits

Piano

Edited by Melora in NC
sloppy typing

My 6th grader's plans for fall:

Bible Study Guide For All Ages

Chalkdust Basic Math

Apologia General Science

TOG year 2

IEW Medieval Based Writing Lessons

Rod & Staff English

SWR spelling