Latin= Galore Park Latin Prep 1 & 2

Science= PH Science Explorer Earth Science

Health= Abeka

Logic= Book of Think, Critical Thinking book 1

Math= Finish Singapore PM 6, PreAlgebra workbook, and maybe start LOF Algebra 1

History= Midieval Ages with History Odyssey Level 2

Literature= Lighting Literature 7

I think this is all..but I am not sure..lol

Please share with me what curric. you are using and why you chose it. I thought I had decided and now I am just lost again. I'd love to see what works for others and why.

Those of you who choose subjects to study instead of grade level, how do you insure your child gets all they need prior to college?

Grace: Grade 6

CLE Reading 6

CLE Math 5-6

CLE Language Arts 6

IEW Theme Based Writing Lessons/ Home2 Teach writing

SOTW 3-4 (Napoleon to Now) Activity book.

Apologia Zoology 3 Land Animals w/ workbook

Latina Christiana 1 &2 (trying again...sigh)

Fallacy Detective/ Thinking Toolbox

Logic Anyone? Orbit w/ Logic

Swim Team

as far as getting your children into college, the goal here...is to get them ready for rigorous High School level classes where they can begin to specialize if it becomes apparent where their bent lie...for example...my oldest dd did 4 years of Art History....Her entire High School curricula guided her onto her path into graphic design and advertising. This is where her bent was...she was motivated and graduated from colle Summa Cum Lause with a job in her major in a VERY competitive field.

DD 2 had a bent toward physical things...sports etc. She took a ton of red cross courses...got her lifeguard certifications...Her swim coach certifications and worked at both a swim club and a US Swim Team. She just finished 2 years at the CC doing of all things...liberal arts classes because she felt she wasn't paying much attention to that in high school and she wanted a good foundation in the liberal arts before she went on to a 4 year school. She has earned a 3.9 gpa so far.....but next year she goes back to science and math to persue a degree in some medical type thing...probably physical therapy.

DS1...OY VEY!! He is a bit hard...just threw that in there to let you know it is not always cut and dried and this is probably way more info than you want...

But basically, what I really wanted to say is that grades 6-8 prepare the student for deeper level thinking and deeper level work possibly in a specialized field of interest. The quantity of work and the quality should be upped. Your student should become more independent, but don't expect them to do it all on their own...a job unchecked is a job undone...ask me how I know!

I am now working on getting # 5 into the high school arena...It ain't easy...

~~Faithe

But basically, what I really wanted to say is that grades 6-8 prepare the student for deeper level thinking and deeper level work possibly in a specialized field of interest. The quantity of work and the quality should be upped. Your student should become more independent, but don't expect them to do it all on their own...a job unchecked is a job undone...ask me how I know!

I am now working on getting # 5 into the high school arena...It ain't easy...

~~Faithe

Thank you for the advice. It is well received. :D

My dd will be going into 6th grade except by her age she would only be a 5th grader in public school. I sorta call her a 5/6 grader.

Math - leaning towards Teaching Textbooks 6

Science - Apologia Astronomy and Zoology 3 with lapbooks

Geography - I bought a bunch of neat stuff to put a binder together studying the 50 states. Eat Your Way Through the USA cookbook, The Little Man on the Map, Scrambled States of America book and Game, Kids Learn America and my mom got the whole set of Highlights State studies.

Grammar - Easy Grammar 5/6

Writing - Writing Tales 2

Bible - Kay Arthur Series Discover 4 Yourself Inductive Bible Studies for Kids

Reading - wavering between letting her continue to just read books or starting her with Progeny Press guides. When my ds was her age, I had to do the PP guides because he was NOT a reader. I needed the questions to draw out what he had read. Now, my dd is a natural reader and she retains a ton of what she reads. Not sure if I need to start the more structured guides or not.

Art - 4 art books from Anna Nilsen and a book called Discovering Great Artists.

I'm starting to think this may be too much to all get done, :svengo:but for my rising 6th graders I have collected:

Math: LOF Dec/Perc, Sing 6a/b w/ CWP, Challenge Math, Math Detective, Venn Perplexors (oh, and I still have the Pet Shop Business Math we never got to last year).

LA

Grammar: Finish Easy Grammar 6, MCT Practice Town, Editor in Chief

Writing: Writing Magic, MCT Paragraph Town, IEW Ancient History

Lit: Book Club w/ Teaching the Classics, just ordered Jamestown's Best Short Stories and Best Plays (can I fit them in?!)

Poetry: MCT Building Poetry

Vocab: MCT Caesar's English I, Word Roots

Spelling: Spelling Wisdom

Social Studies

History: Finish US Hist (we're at WWII now), start Ancient History w/ K12 Human Odyssey, World in Ancient Times & other supplemental reading

Geog/Map Skills: Finish US Map Skills, start World Map Skills

Science: CPO Focus on Life Science, Science Detective

Foreign Language

Spanish: Finish Spanish the Easy Way, Los Viajes de Rosa y Ernesto

German: German Sat. School

Chinese: Taking Guavatalk course this summer, may insanely continue weekly or biweekly over year...

Logic: Grid Perplexors, Cranium Crackers

Art: Oh, maybe that Artistic Pursuits book we bought last year and never got to... or a course?

Music: Chorus, dd1 Piano lessons, dd2 violin lessons and orchestra

PE: dd1 tumbling?? dd2 ballet

Oh, yeah, and weekly 4H group for hiking, crafts, and public speaking

Some of this stuff is part of "summer school" - working through LOF, Writing Magic, Rosa y Ernesto instead of StEW, Chinese, trying to finish off Easy Grammar - so it's not all necessarily simultaneous. :blink:

We school year-round, so her 6th grade starts in August, but we're just sort of continuing where we left off...

Bible: We're using a God's Book for Girls (can't remember the exact one) with the girls this year

Latin: This might be the year we actually complete latin. I've even forgotten the name of our curriculum! :o

Math: She is currently finishing Teaching Textbooks 7, and will begin Teaching Textbooks Pre-Algebra next

Spelling: Spelling Power

Typing

Grammar: completing Rod & Staff 5 - beginning R&S 6 next

Writing: haven't yet decided

History: finishing SOTW 3. Then, we are going to do a United States history unit study before beginning SOTW 4

Science: REAL Science 4 Kids Chemistry now through August. Then, we've enrolled in a science co-op for Apologia Botany for next year.

Logic: I have several books to work from - none of their names are springing to mind atm

Art: They are enrolled in homeschool art classes at the art museum

PE: weekly P.E. classes with a large group

Plus, they're in Girl Scouts and we cover a lot of their badges at home as extra school stuff :001_smile:

In the fall, we will start our 6th grade schedule. It includes:

Math - A Beka's prealgebra & Singapore 6A & 6B

Spelling - Sequential Spelling 2

History - Sonlight 6 (ancients through the reformation)

Science - Sonlight 5 (Human anatomy & medicine)

Spanish

Grammar - Analytical Grammar

Logic - Critical Thinking

Geography - focusing on Europe

Soccer

Volunteering 2x/week (don't know where yet; last year it was at the library)

Lots and lots of reading

Grammar/Writing/vocab= Michael Clay Thompson Grammar Voyage series

Latin= Galore Park Latin Prep 1 & 2

Science= PH Science Explorer Earth Science

Health= Abeka

Logic= Book of Think, Critical Thinking book 1

Math= Finish Singapore PM 6, PreAlgebra workbook, and maybe start LOF Algebra 1

History= Midieval Ages with History Odyssey Level 2

Literature= Lighting Literature 7

I think this is all..but I am not sure..lol

Kissy,

Latin Prep 1 AND 2 is very ambitious. Does your child have a solid Latin background?

I do like your choices!

My twins will be in 6th in the fall and they will be using-

Grammar: Sheldon's Advance Language Lessons (We have been using this since dropping R&S and pondered over whether to continue but we are sticking with it. They really like it.)

Composition: Story Starters (creative writing)

Math: Math U See

History/Bible/Art History/Composer Study/Science: My Father's World Creation to Greeks

Foreign Language: Latina Christiana

Typing: Typing Tutor

Spelling: Spelling Wisdom (considered changing to Simply Spelling but we are sticking with this one too)

Literature: History and Science readings and other library books

Logic: Building Thinking Skills

Co-op: Music Theory 2 and Cooking

Edited by sweetbaby

Please share with me what curric. you are using and why you chose it. I thought I had decided and now I am just lost again. I'd love to see what works for others and why.

Those of you who choose subjects to study instead of grade level, how do you insure your child gets all they need prior to college?

Will be using:

Oak Meadow (for Social Studies/History, Science, English, and Art)

Calvert Art History (all 3 books split up to correspond with Ancient Civ & Medieval/Renaissance in Oak Meadow)

Saxon Math

Growing with Grammar (supplement)

Writing with Ease (to go through quickly and build up ds's writing skills)

Latin Prep

For 6th this year, we chose:

Sonlight Core 5--this has really been a great fit. My child loves Sonlight.

Math--Singapore--this has really been good. I chose it for the thinking skills it encourages.

Latin Prep 1--We love this, but alas, she won't continue with it as I have her signed up for an online Latin course for fall. I can't keep up with the Latin so I cannot help her enough. I feel this is important enough for me to pay for an online course.

So You Really Want to Learn English II by Galore Park--an excellent program all around and we've really enjoyed it. The only thing is, with Sonlight, I feel like I'd be better off using a LA program that correlates with the readers, history, etc. But this is a first-rate challenging curriculum with little to no busy work and is all-inclusive for language arts.

So You Really Want to Learn Science 1--another great Galore Park course.

Artistic Pursuits--it is really an appealing program.

Calvert Spelling--we just tossed this in for good measure. ;) Not sure it's been all that helpful, really.

Hmm, I think that covers it.

Anita